Mystro
Years ago

United Vs Kings 16/12

4:00 left in the first and Sydney scoreless.
26 - zip
They're getting murdered by Melbourne

Topic #49554 | Report this topic

Mystro  
Years ago

Took Sydney 7mins to score a single bucket

Reply #879503 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Could the Sydney Kings beat the 1988 Geelong Supercats?

Reply #879504 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

United's defence has been suffocating in this first quarter, Sydney’s has been non existent.
1.00 to go and it’s 34 - 5

Reply #879505 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

5 points in a quarter , the 29 point lead is the biggest first quarter margin in NBL history.

Reply #879507 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

RJ Hunter is terrible

Reply #879508 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

1/20 FG currently. WOW

Reply #879509 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

2/22 Yikes

Reply #879510 | Report this post

CT  
Years ago

Don't the Taipans have the record for the lowest ever NBL score? About 45 from memory? That could be in serious danger tonight..

Reply #879512 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

40 -16 with 5:12 to go in the second quarter.
Sydney are terrible right now.

Reply #879513 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Sydney have picked up the scoring after a couple of trips to the free throw line but they're still looking terrible.
They might get into the twenties if they can get another bucket in the next 1:20

Reply #879514 | Report this post

FSTOS  
Years ago

Even for a Hawks supporter....this is difficult to watch.

Reply #879515 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Can the Hawks please stop spying on the Kings and sharing their offence to other teams?

Reply #879516 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

21 points in the first half is their second lowest score in franchise history.
55 - 21
Melbourne took their foot off Sydney's throat for a little bit but don’t look likely to choke like NZ did against the Sixers.

Reply #879517 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

United has put together an elite defensive group this year. I'm liking this and good to see Agada getting sold confidence

Reply #879518 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can the commentators stop talking about Agada and Delly every second? The defensive effort from Okwera, Big Jo and Hukporti have taken away so many paint points and are drawing doubles under the basket. Don't get me wrong Delly and Agada having good games, but the bigs are on fire

Reply #879519 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Shades of United v Kings semi-final Game 2 2019

Reply #879521 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agree with LV. If Melbourne are to make finals this year it's going to have to be through their defense first.

Reply #879523 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

What a non-contest.

I'm amused since the NBL under LK has put so much hype around this rivalry.

Reply #879525 | Report this post

Crackers65  
Years ago

Phew, Sydney are stinky. The old violet crumbles really melted tonight.

Reply #879526 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Okwera looks very promising especially defensively. What were his numbers in NBL1?

Reply #879527 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kings is not championship material.

Reply #879528 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Lots of blame to go around for this one, but RJ Hunter really set the tone early with some horrible offense to get United going. One of the worst pro basketball performances I can think of.

Reply #879529 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bad recruitment this year by the kings - only cooks is good

Reply #879530 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

"nightmare before Christmas" - perfect from Santa Maria

Reply #879531 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

Just looked in to catch the score while watching the cricket and am I seeing that right, was Melbourne beat Sydney 89-47???

Sydney only scored 5 in the first period??

Wow ... just, wow.

Reply #879532 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Shitney.

Reply #879533 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kings just a useless team.

Reply #879534 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As 13th man on the court, does Cal Dalton get the chop for the returning Jack White?

Reply #879535 | Report this post

Ben  
Years ago

Only tuned in during third quarter. 26-0 start - is that right?! Has to be a record?

Reply #879536 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Triplet, Okwera and Hickey are all DP's. Dalton is a full rostered player. White was always counted in the 12(11 + 1NS)
If they want another import, then he will be on the chopping block

Reply #879537 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How in the world do they hope to beat teams like Hawks or Wildcats?

Reply #879538 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cooks is as bad as the rest team, stats paddler.
No one in Sydney likes defence anymore.
No one in Sydney doesn't like a shot.

United will still be competitive if not as good as last season.
Vickerman, still an excellent coach
Weaver was a good coach but had some defensive and team first players. I’m interested to see how both Sydney and Perth go with there ex supposed nba coaches, Tasmania as well.

Reply #879539 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

NBL history and indeed sporting history is full of talented teams who didn't quite work it out.

Also rookie coaches who don't quite have what it takes.

Early days but Kings could yet tick one or both of those boxes.

After 3 games I'm feeling better about United's top 4 chances that I was before the season, despite a 1-2 record.

Reply #879540 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sydney should be fine.

Still think hawks and phoenix are the benchmark teams who have 1 and 2, but tonight's performance from united does start to put them in the proper discussion for 3/4.

Keen to see how a United v wildcats game goes

Reply #879541 | Report this post

BeeGee  
Years ago

I stopped watching after half time, Sydney were THAT bad and typically I always watch until the end.

Sydney legit looked horrific in the first quarter, some of their shot choices were woeful.

I will admit I was wrong when I said that Dusty Hanners (sp?) will be the first import to go. It should be RJ Hunter.

Reply #879543 | Report this post

sf99  
Years ago

Hoops Capital.

Reply #879545 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kings got sign thon, let's get team of all outside players.

Reply #879547 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wonder if forde is having a bit of a chuckle.

Reply #879548 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Forde would be happy, he ain't a complete prick.

Everyone involved higher up for Sydney is an asshole, Buford, smith, Bogut etc etc.

Reply #879549 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pongrass does the recruiting doesn't he, season long way to go, next game against SEM should tell us a bit.
Martin on the big Chinese centre (name ? ) could be interesting defensively.

Reply #879550 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

That game was horrific to watch and yeah seen absolutely nothing from RJ Hunter or the Kings to warrant the early season hype.

Only positive was the brilliant return of Dejan Vasiljevic that came on and threw up a shitload of shit... it was really good to see him out there as they will need him with Hunter gone.

I'm not sure what Thon could do to fix that effort from the Kings as they lacked leadership, when you blow two timeouts in the first (was it) 7 minutes of the game and yet STILL nothing changes from the team then they need a different voice or something because Shaun Bruce was not pulling his team mates in and inspiring them as he has done previously as a King.

It's hard to rate United in any way after that performance as they murdered Sydney and still didn't hit 90 points with everything going their way

Reply #879553 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

If you call two timeouts and the team still can't manage to run anything other than "dribble the ball up, wing entry, jack a three", the coach needs to go.

Reply #879554 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

A lot of people had Sydney not only in the top 4 but top 2.

That performance didn't do a lot to validate those opinions.

They were absolutely terrible and I’m not sure Jaylen Adams could magically fix their issues if healthy.
Lack lustre defence with appalling shot selection by the whole team, they just kept on spraying up shots from 3 especially in the first quarter when they were digging their hole.

Reply #879555 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

Absolutely Koberules.

Mystro, if that is how they are going to play and not run any of their strengths and play no defense then EVERY single opposition supporter is looking at when they play the Kings because they were disgusting and even Cairns and Tasmania would be licking their chops at the carcass that was the Sydney Kings.

Phoenix, Jackjumpers, United, Hawks and Jackjumpers are the Kings next opponents for anyone wondering

Reply #879557 | Report this post

RobT  
Years ago

From finals-certainties to biggest duds in the league after 1 horrific game? That's a bit tough!

But such a change in fortunes does raise questions.

Any 1 player can have a bad game.
Any team can.
But this sort of demise smells of 'conspiracy'.

Buford gives the impression that he isn't concerned with niceties in his coaching approach. May have 'lost' his team early! Could it be that the team were making a statement to Buford [just speculating]?

Reply #879558 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Credit to Melbournes defence though, they were excellent at switching and staying in front of their man the couple of times the Kings attacked the paint.
JLA was a pretty big deterrent inside for Sydney and then down the other end United made Sydney pay for not picking up their man on the 3 point line with great ball movement which got them way too many wide open looks. Once Sydney actually started defending it was already too late and Melbournes shooters were hot.

Reply #879559 | Report this post

RobT  
Years ago

Good morning, Mystro. Just been reading the NBL article on the game. After reading your comments, thought I'd copy/paste some of the comments, but can't find the article again!

Can't disagree with any of your observations but it was so extreme, in all ways. MU were great in O and D, Kings were awful at both ends.

And lots above about the 2 very quick time-outs. Think of the message that sends to everyone...everyone, that 'Coach aint happy with his idiots out there'. Set the tone for the rest of the game?

[Why you up so early?]

Reply #879560 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

I'm in NZ so it's not that early.
The biggest issue as mentioned was that despite burning two time outs in the first quarter, nothing changed for Sydney.

Reply #879561 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Honestly felt like the Kings, Bayles aside, were all hungover or something. Such a difference between that game and the first 2 games of the season - Kings' only real weakness (and a big one at that) was turnovers across 2 games, but otherwise pretty good energy on both ends and had been absolutely smashing the boards. Last night ... yikes. Both statistically and actually one of the worst performances of all time.

Reply #879565 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Warning signs for Sydney was their preseason game against NZ. In that game they were playing well offensively then crumbled. When the pressure was applied by the NZ guards defensively, the Kings offence locked up and it was all one way traffic from there. Buford is not Weaver and I think the Kings will struggle despite early season predictions from some.

Reply #879566 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bayles like all kings the other night are shoot first, you need some team first mentality or you only get wins when shots actually drop. Forde new defensively that Martin was a risk last season and didn't play him in the 5. Jordan Hunter can’t come back quick enough.

Reply #879568 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hilarious!! Good job Kangz!

Reply #879577 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

For those that didn't watch the game Buford could have called 5 timeouts in that first quarter and still the players wouldn't alter what they did on the court.

Yes RobT, every season the Wildcats get pumped by 25+ and look insipid throughout and we question them but it's quickly forgotten. Every team last year had one awful game but Sydney Kings 2020/21 vs Melbourne United was one of the absolute worst outings of all time and it's a shame they don't hold the record for fewest points total in history.

Yes Jordan Hunter is that hard working team first player that this selfish 'Hollywood' Sydney Kings team needs as much as Adams

Reply #879587 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Jordan Hunter isn't walking through that door...

Reply #879589 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Matt MCQuade's FB post in part.

"for those interested in history, here are some numbers from tonight's debacle:
Sydney Kings Franchise Records - Single Game
Lowest ever single game point total (47)
Lowest ever three quarter time score (36)
Second lowest ever halftime score (21)
Lowest ever first quarter score (5)
Equal lowest ever score in any quarter (5)
Biggest deficit after a first quarter in any game (29 - also an NBL record)
Fewest field goals ever made in a game (15 - also an NBL record)
Lowest field goal percentage ever in a game (21.1% - also an NBL record)
Sixth worst margin of defeat ever in any game (42 points)
Sixth worst margin of defeat ever in any road game (42 points)"

#pathetic

Reply #879642 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:30 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754