Anonymous
Years ago

Kai Sotto to make his official pro Debut against the Cairns

Filipino Golden boy to debut tomorrow night against the snakes.

Should be the most watched game in NBL history, with expected viewership reach to hit the millions.

Should the NBL add more sponsorship to the court to accommodate for the extra eye balls?

As for his performance, I expect him to play around 20 minutes. Sharing the centre minutes with the underdone Humphries.

18 points, 8 rebounds and 4 blocks should be a more than decent debut. I expect Kai to have a dominant impact on the league, similar to Zhou Chi.

Topic #49558 | Report this topic

RobT  
Years ago

Good luck Kai Sotto.

Reply #879596 | Report this post

TaipansTragic  
Years ago

Cmon Anon, you expect him to play around 20 mins and have an 18-8-4 stat line? You're dreaming. Let’s be REALISTIC. The only people hyping him up right now are his fellow countrymen, the rest of the world haven’t seen enough from him. It’s going to be interesting to see how he will match up against bigs in this league, and his first matchup against Zimmerman & Nate Jawai tomorrow should be a good indication of where he is and how he stacks up against more bigger and stronger bodies. It’s not the pre-season anymore either. In saying that I’m happy for the kid, I genuinely want him to do well, and add onto the fact that the NBL is a genuine pathway to the NBA.

Looking forward to the game. Go the Taipans!

Reply #879599 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The NBL has never seen a 7ft 3 immensely skilled player like Kai. Yes I expect him to dominate in the minutes he gets.

Zimmerman and Jawai are not world class talents and Kai will have the skill advantage over both of them.

Humphries has also been terrible this season, I expect a few dominate performances from Kai will push Humphries to the back up centre spot.

Reply #879601 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good luck to Sotto. I think he'll be OK. But nowhere near the impact of Qi. Qi has a very high basketball IQ and lots of experience. As talented as Sotto may be, he’s still a kid. Dieng has struggled big time with the physicality. I think Sotto will be similar. Praying that Jawai doesn’t snap him in half.

Reply #879603 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Qi is a much better player than Sotto. I can't wait to both Melbourne teams to play Adelaide as Jo and Jo will monster Sotto

Reply #879605 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

" The NBL has never seen a 7ft 3 immensely skilled player like Kai."

Hahahahaha. Chris Anstey wasn't quite 7’3”, but he was much more skilled than Sotto. I was wishing Sotto well, but with fanbois like this I hope Jawai posts up Sotto. It’s going to hurt Sotto and his fanbois.

Reply #879606 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

18/8/4? He's doing very well if he gets half that.

Reply #879609 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I wish him well.

Reply #879611 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A decent performance will see Kai rocketship up the NBA mock draft rankings. So far all the next stars have been poor. Only good rookie has been Hugo Besson. Kai will be the favourite for the Rookie of the year after this weekend.

Reply #879612 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@Anon Zhou Qi is a NBA reject. Kai is a much better player, higher basketball iq more skilled. Zhou has been decent so far but I expect Kai to dominate all the centres in this league.

Reply #879613 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It sounds like the whole fan base are one eyed parents lol

Reply #879614 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Adelaide 36ers and NBL Facebook comments are going nuts right now lol.

Reply #879615 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

People are jealous of Kai I wouldn't be surprised if Aussies conspire to make him look bad. 2018 never forget!!!!

Reply #879616 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The facebook warriors will go silent once they see how he actually plays in a real man's league.

I pity CJ who will be obliged to play him a set number of minutes.

Reply #879619 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I sense a fair bit of racist undertones in here.

Reply #879620 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't know if these fanbois are trolling or they honestly believe Sotto will get more than 10 points regularly let alone dominate all the centres in the league.

Reply #879621 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

I can't wait for the Sotto car crash to start. What a masterstroke debuting him vs. Jawai as well.

popcorn.gif

Reply #879622 | Report this post

TaipansTragic  
Years ago

The sooner they realise he is half the player Zhou Qi is the better. Until then, good riddance to all his fans. If he was as good as they hype him up to be, why didn't he play well enough in the G-League, to get drafted?? Fair enough if he is their best crack at a homegrown potential NBA player, but I’ve never understood the level of hype for a player who hasn’t proved himself yet.

Good luck to him, wish him well, hope he has a great season, just not against the Taipans! Hahaha

Reply #879625 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

His fan boys do realise Nate actually played in the NBA for good reason and could swallow Kai whole.

Reply #879632 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kai is way more skilled than Jawai and Zimmerman.

Reply #879633 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Those two are NBA rejects for a reason. Washed up scrubs.

Reply #879634 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jawai doesn't need to be skilled. The man wasn't called Outback Shaq for nothing. He's certainly not the same player he used to be, but he does have a monster game or two each season. I hope he feasts on Sotto.

Reply #879641 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kai Sotto could be the face of the NBL for the next 10 years. I understand that a lot of Aussies on here don't want a yellow face to be the face of the league.

Reply #879648 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Zhou Qi or Yudai Baba could be the face of the NBL, but never Kai Sotto. In fact, Qi is already plastered everywhere.

Reply #879678 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yudai Baba averaged 8pts a game. How could that be the Face of the league? Idiot

Reply #879682 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kai is the most marketable star the NBL has ever seen. Generates more hype and revenue than even Lamelo.

Reply #879683 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#682 Sotto won't average 8ppg

Reply #879684 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Did you even watch Baba play? He was an elite athlete, a lockdown defender, and a great shooter who played his role on a championship team. Sotto will be lucky to get to even 5ppg.

Reply #879688 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Baba is not a marketable personality like Kai. He can't even speak English and has a boring as bat shit personality. While Kai appeals to the masses.

Reply #879689 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sotto will develop this year and get used to the league. Next year he will have a jock landale type impact.

Reply #879691 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#691 please give up the weed

Reply #879694 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

" Baba is not a marketable personality like Kai. He can't even speak English and has a boring as bat shit personality. While Kai appeals to the masses."

At least Baba knows how to play basketball.

Reply #879703 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

8pts a game he is a superstar haha

Reply #879704 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The weed in the Philippines must be so much better than here. I really need a new dealer.

Reply #879710 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

It's the humidity over there that get's them not any substance.

Reply #879712 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

PW, don't worry about it. It's a completely different world. We all see Filipinos commenting on NBA facebook posts. It's inexplicable. Problem is that this ridiculous optimism and insane hot takes actually makes the on-the-fence fan resent the athlete being pumped up, because we attribute all the online stupidity to the athlete. So it actually has a negative effect.

Reply #879715 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Kai will break steph curry's record in 5 years!!!
Kai Sotto is the Next Kevin Durant...he so much skillful for his height.

Couple of the fb posts on BF. And you still don't think they are smoking?

Reply #879721 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Manu point taken - it's unfair on young Sotto himself.

#721 I've been there and the humidity kills your brain after a while.

Reply #879722 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

" 8pts a game he is a superstar haha"

Better than the DNP CD Sotto will amass in his career.

Reply #879726 | Report this post

Bertie Bixer  
Years ago

Let the dude play first. Remember last year giddy was copping this shit now look at him. If he is getting outmuscled by the centre's I'm sure he has the versility to play pf behind Johnson.

Reply #879728 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NBL has a lot of small ball mobile 4s such as Creek, Delaney, Franks, Law etc. No way in hell Sotto can keep up with them. No chance he plays at the 4.

Reply #879735 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Giddey was also at least in the top 60 for a few credible mock drafts before he even played an NBL game. Kai Sotto is not even in the top 100 lists.

Reply #879736 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

For a country that follows the game so closely it amazes me how delusional they are

Reply #879738 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Giddey never copped this shit. No one said Giddey was going to be the most dominant player in the NBL or similar, and no one said he was going to be a bust either. The main concern around Giddey was whether it was worth the 36ers effectively tanking in order to help Giddey develop or whether he'd be in the lottery or later in the first round. But it was very clear early that Giddey could handle himself in the league and had unique skills and talents, one’s that he’s showing in his NBA highlight reels. Sotto is not Giddey. In fact, I think Sotto will struggle against Hukporti let alone the dominant NBL bigs. Dieng is possibly a franchise level prospect and he’s struggling, Sotto is going to find it hard. I wish him all the best and hope he’s successful, but he will not dominate at all.

Reply #879739 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

The OP here is delusional. Clueless. But it's alright. He will soon get a clue. Tonight in fact!

"The NBL has never seen a 7ft 3 immensely skilled player like Kai. Yes I expect him to dominate in the minutes he gets."

The guy who said Corey Williams was a well respected expert thinks he knows the league well enough to tell us what the NBL has never seen.

"Zimmerman and Jawai are not world class talents and Kai will have the skill advantage over both of them."

Ex NBA, Euroleague and 2014 World Cup player Nate Jawai is not a world class player everyone!

"Humphries has also been terrible this season, I expect a few dominate performances from Kai will push Humphries to the back up centre spot."

This is satire isn't it? It's satire. It just has to be satire. Has this guy turned our Hoops forum into an episode of MadTv?

"People are jealous of Kai I wouldn't be surprised if Aussies conspire to make him look bad. 2018 never forget!!!!"

HAHAHAAHAHAH conspire to make him look bad by playing basketball against him.

"I sense a fair bit of racist undertones in here.:

Ah yes, the Philopino racism Jedi with the unrealistic expectations of a kid who has only ever played well against lesser competition senses a disturbance in the force.

"Kai Sotto could be the face of the NBL for the next 10 years. I understand that a lot of Aussies on here don't want a yellow face to be the face of the league."

You're on the same Hoops board that has been doing nothing but praise Zhou Qi.

-

Filo fans are a unique bunch. They are so obsessive and out of touch with reality that it is actually troubling to read their comments. It's like they all have a shared psychosis of some sort. It will be interesting to see how they cope when faced with reality that Kai Sotto will not be a star level player in this league this year. It's going to be an interesting study in Philippine group psychology. I've never encountered a group of fans who have just caused such a gut level loathing in me like this before. You were a bunch of jackasses in 2018 and nothing has even remotely changed. But you're great at basketball though. Congratulations on 32nd place at the world cup with that team you pumped up.

Reply #879740 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

" For a country that follows the game so closely it amazes me how delusional they are"

100%

The thing I don't get is that, generally, as a people they are so humble. But as soon as you bring a basketball, the psyche warps.

Reply #879741 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

" Jawai are not world class talents and Kai will have the skill advantage over both of them."

Jawai was an Adriatic League Final 4 MVP. Other bigs to win that award include Pekovic, Saric, and Marjanovic. I guess Sotto is wasting his time here, he should sign with UNICS or CSKA and just go dominate Europe on his way to dominating the NBA.

Reply #879742 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

To be fair Jawai has been washed up for a while now in the NBL.

Humphries has also been very poor so far.

Reply #879743 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Yeah, Jawai is washed up. But let's not get it twisted, there is no parts of Kai Sotto that wants to contain Nate Jawai near the ring. When someone has had the career Nate Jawai has had you pay them the respect their due. Kai Sotto has done nothing. NOTHING. And he certainly doesnt want to injure himself trying to stop Outback Shaq

Reply #879744 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

And then there's Zimmerman. Zimmerman isnt a world class player apparently.

He's a former NBA draft pick who has played in the NBA and G League.

Pretty certain that makes him world class.

Reply #879745 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Anyway, 18/8 and 4. That's what we're holding Kai to tonight. Let's see how this goes, shall we? I'll be back.

Reply #879746 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The problem for Sotto is that like LaMelo he now has a target on his back where every player that matches up against him will play really hard. You can see it with the way players attack Dieng. Even LaMelo got embarrassed at times. If I was Sotto's agent, I’d hate the amount of pressure the public is putting on him because it’s going to generate heat from the opposition and there’s a few players in this league who could make Sotto onto the wrong side of a highlight reel.

Reply #879748 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

I wish him well and in the limited minutes he played in preseason I thought he was ok. But surly he is just a limited role and minutes reserve, not some major cog that is going to decide games for us. I really want to see more time for Malou in a long lineup.

Reply #879749 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

More Hype than Lamelo. Lets see how the kid goes tonight. I expect 5 mins and Big Liu type numbers.

Reply #879750 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

any news on scotts replacement

Reply #879751 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I doubt the Taipans have the money to pay Machado and a fourth import.

Reply #879753 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

I wish Soto well, he's probably a good kid but there’s also a little part of me that wants his delusional fan base given a massive reality check. Actually that’s a lie, it’s a pretty big part of me lol.

Yeah Nate is washed up but these days compared to his prime Outback Shaq days but he is still an absolute monster in the paint that will not be physically challenged by Kai.

I guess if Sotto makes it off the pine tonight we’ll see for ourselves but I agree ME, 18/8 & 4 is what we have been promised.

Reply #879754 | Report this post

Bertie Bixer  
Years ago

Giddey never copped this shit. No one said Giddey was going to be the most dominant player in the NBL or similar, and no one said he was going to be a bust either. The main concern around Giddey was whether it was worth the 36ers effectively tanking in order to help Giddey develop or whether he'd be in the lottery or later in the first round. But it was very clear early that Giddey could handle himself in the league and had unique skills and talents, one's that he’s showing in his NBA highlight reels. Sotto is not Giddey. In fact, I think Sotto will struggle against Hukporti let alone the dominant NBL bigs. Dieng is possibly a franchise level prospect and he’s struggling, Sotto is going to find it hard. I wish him all the best and hope he’s successful, but he will not dominate at all. What and U think dj doesn't get beaten by these guys, wats the difference. And giddy did get bagged at start, how can a 18 yr old run point and so on.

Reply #879755 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

There were absolutely people last year claiming Giddey would go undrafted well into the NBL season.

Reply #879761 | Report this post

Bertie Bixer  
Years ago

Dam straight koberulz.

Reply #879763 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's just cause neither Giddey or Sotto are from Adelaide, and we know how much Adelaide supporters hate foreigners taking locals spots.

Reply #879765 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

There were absolutely people last year claiming Giddey would go undrafted well into the NBL season.""

But there werent a bunch of idiots saying he'd dominate the league in his first game with 18/8/4 in 20 minutes.

Even if we accept that Giddey was well and truly underrated that doesn't mean we're being unreasonable for saying that Kai will absolutely not perform to the ridiculously high standards Filo fans expect he will.

Giddey didnt "dominate" the league and it is extremely unlikely Kai will either. To say he will just because he's mobile and 7'3, and then to go on and mock the standard of this league by saying players arent world class is just ignorance.

Reply #879767 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No way he gets 18/8/4 in his first game.

Kids going to drop 36/16/8 just to make y'all look bad!

Reply #879768 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There is no shame if Sotto does not dominate.
This ain't no cupcake league.

Reply #879770 | Report this post

AussiePride  
Years ago

Watched his highlights from the pre-season. Looks like a talent to me. How far can he go? I don't know. Good luck to him.

Reply #879771 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So much hate for a 19 year old kid trying to make a name for himself. Even if he plays like trash tonight he will already be making history tonight by being the first Filipino to play in the NBL. It ain't the kids fault if the majority of his fans are IQ level retards.

Reply #879772 | Report this post

CT  
Years ago

Expect a few vocal members of the local filo community to rock up tonight. Hope the convention centre screwed all the chairs down.

Reply #879774 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thon Maker rushing back from o/s to help with security

Reply #879775 | Report this post

Stevy  
Years ago

Been a long time since I last posted, the only thing I can say about the Kai posts in hoops is this. They are obviously trolling you guys, I wish I could do something about it but I can't. Only thing that we all can do is to ignore the posts because believe me trolls got to troll.

Also everyone is welcome to have a discussion with me regarding Philippine basketball/kai in general or if you guys want, you could go to interbasket. Yes, I know that Filipinos are undoubtedly one of the worst or the worst group of basketball fans but I can guarantee that you could exchange better conversations with me or those group of filipinos in Interbasket.

Anyways have a good one guys, just got hit by the super typhoon, so no electricity for weeks lol. I hope Kai does decently in his first game. I would also like to see kai be more productive on defense than offense.

Reply #879776 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

*Crickets*

Reply #879804 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

*Kickerts*

Reply #879845 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

18/8 and 4 was the promise. What is it right now, 1/3 and 2? lol.

Adelaide sucks though. This team should just pack up and go home.

Reply #879850 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kai averaging 12+ boards and 8+ blocks per 40

Reply #879854 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kai "1 point" Sotto

Reply #879863 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

18/8 and 4 was the promise.

Zimmerman overacheived then. He finished with 18/9/4.

Oh wrong person

Reply #879864 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Sotto was actually the worst player for Adelaide. -21 in less than 10

Reply #879865 | Report this post

CT  
Years ago

My Sotto game highlight was when he slipped on the court decal

Reply #879867 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Love anyone that uses +/- to justify their position. Said no one ever that understands the game.
Some other dickwad (CT) said "My Sotto game highlight was when he slipped on the court decal. Hope you slip on somewhere unexpected and rip your groin or a hammie shithead.

Reply #879872 | Report this post

CT  
Years ago

I nearly fell over laughing at how butthurt you are if that counts?

Reply #879884 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

2 blocks was very impressive. If Kai becomes the starting centre I can see him averaging 4 blocks a game just like Zhou Qi.

Reply #879894 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#894 hahahaha starting centre lol

Reply #879895 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

I am going to hand this to Kai - he actually has a pretty good knack for blocking the ball, and he has good length and mobility. But that is still a far cry from the bat shit crazy things filos are saying about the guy. He was clearly outclassed in every other facet of the game.

Reply #879897 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

I can't wait to pop back in here after next weeks dose of reality lol.

Reply #879899 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kai Sottos team mates are all ball hoggers and suck. Watching this game confirms that the NBL is a bush league. So many turnovers and missed shots, I would say the PBA is better quality.

Reply #879900 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Says a lot about Sotto then that if the league is so bad AND he still can't score a basket.

Reply #879902 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pg for Adelaide is terrible and fat. They need an import pg.

Reply #879903 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Here they come. The sotto lovers.

I'll admit he can block shots but he’s going to struggle to score when he doesn’t even look at the ring looking to score.

Reply #879927 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

7 3 left hander had better be able to block shots.

Reply #879930 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

https://youtu.be/iZwOiquZ1z0

358,000 views for Kai "1 point" Sotto

Reply #880454 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

"Pg for Adelaide is terrible and fat. They need an import pg."

Probably the first (likely) Philo comment on this board I actually agree with.

"7 3 left hander had better be able to block shots."

HAHAHA exactly!

We were promised 18/8/4. We got 1/3 and 2.

Reply #880456 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

No Sotto on Boxing Day, what a wasted opportunity by the NBL.

Reply #880463 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

http://aussiehoopla.com/kai-sotto-adelaide-36ers-on-his-nbl-debut-and-filipino-basketball/

Kai Sotto interview, he mentions he expects to be picked in the 2022 NBA Draft.

Reply #880520 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

" filled the box score, showing his versatility with 1 point, 2 rebounds, 2 assists and 2 blocks."

“Filled the box score”

Reply #880521 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:26 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754