Anonymous
Years ago

WNBL Integrity Breach

Paul Goriss Head Coach of the UC Capitals and Simon Cosier a WNBL referee.

Both Goriss and Cosier have been found guilty of engaging in Prohibited Conduct under Basketball Australia's National Framework for Ethical Behaviour and Integrity in Basketball by misusing inside information and engaging in conduct that would impair public confidence in the integrity and good character of basketball and its participants.

Cosier supplied Goriss with confidential video clips of the Sydney Uni Flames training scrimmage that had been used for referee education purposes.

Following an investigation by Basketball Australia’s Integrity Unit, the matter was referred to an Independent Hearing Panel for an expedited hearing. The Independent Hearing Panel have decided:

Cosier is banned from all refereeing activities for the WNBL season for his part in offering and supplying the footage to Goriss; and
Goriss is banned from all coaching activities including Opals duties until January 20, 2022 for using some of the clips for opposition scouting.
In issuing the sanctions, the Panel found that no actual advantage was obtained by Goriss or the UC Capitals.

Basketball Australia Chairman John Carey said "this incident was immediately referred to the Integrity Unit who undertook a full investigation and referred the matter to an Independent Hearing Panel. We will not tolerate this behaviour in basketball. It is unprofessional and extremely disappointing at any level of the game."

The bans are effective immediately, both parties have 14 days to appeal the decision.

Topic #49571 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Time to start sacking these women n.t coaches

Reply #880197 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

One month, wow. That will teach him!

Almost as tootheless as suspending Wayne Peterson for two weeks.

Reply #880210 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah but the ref gets the season

Reply #880222 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Peterson's decision is a joke. However new ownership will be the out, there.

Reply #880226 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

The ref is married to an ex caps player but there is nothing to see here.
Anyone would think that the coach might see all the people at BA everyday and help the COE and therefore BA by taking their young kids and giving them roster spots.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/basketball/former-canberra-capital-michelle-cosier-and-husband-simon-to-referee-wnbl-together-20171005-gyuto3.html

Reply #880241 | Report this post

Duke Fan  
Years ago

Am I the only one who doesn't think what they did is that big a deal? Teams have been scouting since day dot. Were they really doing something so super secret that couldn't be seen on game film anyway?
When I was coaching I wouldn't have cared if my next opponent had 10 scouts at my practice and a copy of the playbook. If we execute well we win anyway.

Reply #880261 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The issue here is integrity: A referee has been giving a head coach video of another team.

Reply #880263 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Given there is betting on the wnbl I would be very surprised if the anti corruption watchdogs didn't get involved. This is no different to Shane Warne giving a bookie details about how a pitch looked in the morning. There is money involved and clearly refs in the WNBL and probably NBL are vulnerable targets as are players due to the lack of money. If Hanse Cronje can do it anyone can do it

Reply #880267 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I am pretty sure that information passed that has had an affect on the result (and it did) has to be investigated by Feds given money was bet on the outcome

Reply #880270 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We shouldn't have to stick with Goriss, Lange, chambers, brondello for 4 more years and watch the opals continue to do poorly. The last 3 years have been absolute shambles.

Reply #880271 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I would be amazed if the Sydney team would have run any type of plays that would have been considered sensitive especially when there are cameras in there.

Heal is a cagey little operator and he would not have let them in there unless he thought it was harmless.

The issue here is that a WNBL Ref made available the tapes that they had , the question should be asked why did he provide them was there any money exchanged for this info .

Reply #880274 | Report this post

ANON  
Years ago

The issue is also now that the clubs who have openly contributed to the refs development will refuse to do it anymore, two people being selfish will set back ref development due to the trust being broken

Reply #880279 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I assume Gorris and Cosier have a prior, potentially close relationship (the hoops world is small). If Cosier calls Gorris and tells him that he has some footage that will help out his squad on the weekend, how many questions is Gorris supposed to ask?
I assume that may explain the difference in suspensions.

Reply #880281 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Are the Capitals even going to mention their coach is suspended on their social media? Pretty weak.

Reply #880284 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ANON #279 this will have no impact on referee development. BA are already stuffing that up all on their own.

Reply #880285 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ban finishes right before opals camp, what a suprise....

Reply #880286 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

What a convenient coincidence

Reply #880289 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It would have been an internal scrimmage to allow umpires to have a hit out as well. I don't think it would have had a huge result on an actual game, it's more the principle. If officials are seen to impart another teams information to another, what's to stop other 3rd parties passing info on. Would be interested in how it all came about, who was the instigator and if it was a random Ive got/Ive heard you've got footage of a scrimmage, or did they go out of their way to exchange it. But both definitely should have known better.

Reply #880304 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

If this happened in the NBA the coach would do 25 years hard labour and the ref would have an appointment with the electric chair.
The ABC report quoting Smith is worth reading. I dislike Smith and Heal, but it's all about integrity. The two involved are lucky the panel found it had almost no influence on the game. Smith believes otherwise and, if he is to be believed, it did influence the game. Someone guilty of an integrity breach and representing Australia does not sit comfortably with me.

Reply #880340 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A lesson for all coaches/refs around the league. Safe to say he's not the first.

Would have been nice to see one of the longer standing assistants step into the head coach role though.

Reply #880342 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^ agreed

Reply #880348 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Seebohm should be opals hc already if it weren't for Stirling.

Goriss deserves to be fired as National assistant as a minimum.

Reply #880349 | Report this post

ANON  
Years ago

Stirling is the queen of the sweep and surrounds herself with yes people.
She will retire having protected those that pretended to like her and all her old school mates, then a good coach like Seebohm might actually get a go.

Reply #880445 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What an unfortunate way to permanently tarnish the playing and coaching career she had. SJW at its worst. All for the mates. The female ones.

Reply #880450 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This is a made up story. Stirling has no mates

Reply #880451 | Report this post

Crackers65  
Years ago

I think the Capitals need to show some leadership here. Even a statement condemning Gorris's actions, but I guess
it’s only an integrity breach. Non of that in Canberra.
I also wonder how his job with opals can continue. People in these positions just can’t behave like this.

Reply #880461 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They continue because of those on the hill at ba.

How sandy gets 4 more years as opals coach only winning 60% of games as the #2 nation is beyond me, especially when the previous 3 coaches won 85-95%

Reply #880469 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

I think the Capitals need to show some leadership here. Even a statement condemning Gorris's actions, but I guess it's only an integrity breach. Non of that in Canberra.

I dunno, Cracker. They already came out pretty strong on this one! ...

The UC Capitals take issues of sport integrity with great seriousness and acknowledge Goriss’ actions, for which he has accepted responsibility for.
Goriss has demonstrated exemplary character on and off the court over many years and the club is supportive of Goriss now and into the future.
Assistant Coach Kennedy Kereama will step into the Head Coach role whilst Goriss carries out the suspension, due to end on January 20, 2022.

Reply #880480 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How is that at all condemning his actions.

We take integrity seriously, but fully support Goriss.

Saying one thing, doing the complete opposite by action.

Reply #880481 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Yep. Couldn't be any weaker if they tried.

Reply #880482 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

"for which he has accepted responsibility for"

Statement crafted by the Department of Redundancy Department?

Reply #880483 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hP_-AsrZ2eM

Looks pretty guilty.

Reply #880484 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Got to wonder if Goriss he has been doing this for sometime.

Reply #880883 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No you don't. Maybe read the facts of the case before starting lies.

Reply #880884 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Think it's very likely he’s done this before.

Reply #880891 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Womens side of the game needs overhaul.

Reply #880992 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Basketball Australia needs an overhaul.

Reply #881008 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The world needs an overhaul.

We have the worst possible people as leaders in most industries and politics. BA is hardly alone in failing under a lack of leadership.

Reply #881011 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Two years ago

Update:

Basketball Australia (BA) lodged an appeal against the finding of the Independent Hearing Panel that they were not comfortably satisfied there was an actual advantage obtained by the UC Capitals as a result of the conduct of their Head Coach, Paul Goriss.

The appeal was heard on Monday 17 January and BA has been advised by the Appeal Tribunal that their final decision will be handed down on Monday 24 January.

The Appeal Tribunal has, however, issued a preliminary determination that they are comfortably satisfied that the original sanction issued to Paul Goriss is sufficient. He is therefore able to return to coaching duties on Friday 21 January.

BA is awaiting the final written decision of the Appeal Tribunal to determine if any further action is required in relation to the Round 1 fixture.

Link

Reply #882470 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

Bs, right before opals camp. Convenient.

Reply #882473 | Report this post

koberulz  
Two years ago

"We investigated ourselves and have determined that we were correct."

Reply #882475 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Two years ago

Flames understandably less than satisfied with the outcome of this, and are asking BA to do better:

FLAMES CALL ON BASKETBALL AUSTRALIA TO REVIEW TRIBUNAL SYSTEM

The Brydens Sydney Uni Flames have called on Basketball Australia, the governing body of the WNBL, to overhaul its tribunal process following the result of an appeals tribunal announced this week.

In December, Basketball Australia issued bans to UC Capitals head coach Paul Goriss and referee Simon Cosier for sharing Flames' training footage in the lead-in to the WNBL season.

The pair were found guilty of engaging in prohibited conduct under Basketball Australia’s National Framework for Ethical Behaviour and Integrity in Basketball by misusing inside information and engaging in conduct that would impair public confidence in the integrity and good character of basketball and its participants.

An independent panel, established by Basketball Australia, found 'no actual advantage’ was obtained by the Capitals through the actions of the pair in the lead-up to the season-opening clash, which the Flames lost by three points. The Flames were not asked to give evidence as part of that process.

Basketball Australia then appealed those findings and formed an Appeals Tribunal on January 17 after it was established that the UC Capitals had obtained an actual advantage from the misconduct of its head coach Paul Goriss.

In a statement released this week, the WNBL said the Appeals Tribunal, after hearing submissions from both parties, found:

* unanimously that a reversal of the result should not be imposed as it would exceed that which is reasonably and proportionately required to punish the offences committed
* by majority, that it cannot be comfortably satisfied that the advantage gained by the UC Capitals because of the misconduct of Mr Goriss was of such materiality and influence that it justifies the disqualification of the outcome of the game.

In response, Flames owner and chairman Paul Smith issued the following statement:

"The coach and referee were found guilty, and these are the facts," Smith said.

“The impact on the result was clear for anyone to see and the basketball community has rallied around us in support of that.

“We accept the tribunal’s decision, as we should, but we disagree vehemently with the finding.

“We thank Basketball Australia for appealing the original findings and we respectfully call on Basketball Australia to overhaul the tribunal process it currently operates under.”

Link

Reply #884252 | Report this post

Irv  
Two years ago

i sat in the stands behind Simon and Michelle Cosier and listened for 15 minutes as she told him to get a recording of their training and even how to go about it. But ONLY Simon was punished, the pair MUST BE BANNED for life from Basketball!

Reply #885521 | Report this post

Irv  
Two years ago

one more thing to add on Cosier, they push ALL the Refs to buy uniforms from Simons dodgy cash company, He gets his Company name on Billboards without paying and they control all the ref draws, so...non-HuRu uniform, no shifts!

Reply #885523 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

Goriss has been doing this for quite awhile me thinks....

Reply #885524 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Two years ago

How's the gall on Canberra to raise culture and values in this statement about Casey Samuels

STATEMENT: UC CAPITALS TERMINATE AGREEMENT WITH DEVELOPMENT PLAYER

The UC Capitals have terminated their agreement with Development Player Casey Samuels following an incident earlier this month.

The organisation's strong culture and values are fundamental to our success both on and off-court and the incident is at odds with our expectations and requirements of all personnel.

We wish Casey all the best for the future.

Reply #885747 | Report this post

koberulz  
Two years ago

In the same season as the Phoenix sacking an import for failure to adhere to their code of conduct, too.

Reply #885748 | Report this post

WBF  
Two years ago

"Samuels was charged with failing to leave a licenced premises and committing public nuisance after the Queensland incident on 6 February.

The charges were thrown out in court after the police offered no evidence against her in court."

https://canberraweekly.com.au/capitals-sack-development-player-casey-samuels-after-incident/

Reply #885750 | Report this post

koberulz  
Two years ago

The charges were thrown out in court after the police offered no evidence against her in court.
That is horrendous sentence structure.

Reply #885751 | Report this post

Frisbee14  
Two years ago

Samuels has signed with Central's to play so hopefully she will be a better role model to the kids they have.

Reply #885764 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

Goriss gets wnba coaching gig, no doubt he will join brondello and husband in New York.

Reply #886639 | Report this post

JJ  
Two years ago

Good luck with Samuels she is not anyones role model. Could be a reason why she left the coast. Nasty player and pretty much the same off it. Good luck to her new team hahahahaha

Reply #886644 | Report this post

JJ  
Two years ago

Good luck with Samuels she is not anyones role model. Could be a reason why she left the coast. Nasty player and pretty much the same off it. Good luck to her new team hahahahaha

Reply #886645 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Two years ago

Goriss gets wnba coaching gig, no doubt he will join brondello and husband in New York.

I had heard that NY was a possibility but so was ATL, which seemed slightly random to me.

Reply #886651 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:11 pm, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754