RobT
Years ago

Darwin Salties to enter NBL1 North in April.

Just heard on ABC news, Darwin to get NBL1 team, will play in North conf (obviously), starting this coming season (April).

I did not think that this would happen so soon. Congrats to NT and Darwin.

Looking forward to their inclusion although still having trouble with what the fixture will look like.

In Qld there are 2 natural double-headers. Cairns and Townsville is one, the other is Rockhampton and Mackay. To lessen the costs, the southern teams play each the northern ones once a year, the south-east Qld teams go north one year, the next year the northern team come south. To get through all the south-eastern teams the northern teams may play triple-headers down south. The Brisbane-based teams may have to do the same to accommodate the Darwin entry. With the distances involved (to include Darwin), it will be a tough road-trip. The only other option is the much more costly one-off trip for Darwin.
What to do?

Topic #49576 | Report this topic

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

This feels like testing the water for an eventual fully fledged NBL side in the top end in future. Personally I'd love to see it. If you can make a footprint in a place where there is no other show in town, you're going to get support.

Reply #880299 | Report this post

Curtley  
Years ago

Would've been great if the Darwin convention centre was made to accommodate basketball, it's such an epic location, walking distance from the 'city'. The current Darwin basketball stadium is a 15 minute drive to the city with poor public transport.

Reply #880311 | Report this post

RobT  
Years ago

Curtley, if Me's prediction is right, your suggestion would come into the picture.

Reply #880322 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

This is old news but I would love to one day see an NBL team based in Darwin. There's real potential there for them to be adopted like the Taipans in Cairns as the only show in town.

Reply #880325 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Exciting news.
Looks like I've got a new team to be a fan of. They align with my values because I'm salty af.

Reply #880338 | Report this post

Jason  
Years ago

The announcement of Matt Flinn as coach is a good signing. It is better than signing a local coach whom hasn't coached at that level with sub level talent and ask them to preform.

Reply #880344 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Reply #880346 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

Great news, would they ever play games in Katherine or Alice Springs or is that just way too costly experiment ?

Reply #880370 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

You've obviously never been to Katherine.

Reply #880380 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

RobT what year is it where you are?
It was announced weeks ago that Darwin was getting a side

Reply #880513 | Report this post

Kev  
Years ago

Darwin Dragons 2025, can't wait.

Reply #880517 | Report this post

NBLTigers  
Years ago

Great news, but Crocodiles sounds better than salties.

Darwin Dingoes is better too. I hope the NBL consider Dingoes before it gets taken away like what happen to Tassie Devils with the AFL.

Reply #880519 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

2021 NBL1 North Grand Final MVP with Mackay, Jerron Jamerson, is the Salties' inaugural player signing.

https://www.facebook.com/darwinsalties/posts/111249671433745

Reply #881539 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

Darwin cyclones in future maybe
Townsville will keep crocs

Reply #881540 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

Surely it's spelled Dingos?
No E

Reply #881543 | Report this post

RobT  
Two years ago

Jerron Jamerson, great signing for the NBL1's newest (North) franchise. Current Finals MVP, well known (in North conf, anyway), will entertain and play damn hard.

If they continue with that sort of recruiting, they will emulate Red City Roar and have a blinder of a 1st season.

Unlike Red City Roar, who were top-4 in their 1st season finished 2021 in 12th). Darwin Salties (DS) will thrive in this league if they can keep and build around Jamerson.

Now, if Nate Jawai is their 2nd signing, that would have to be another coup. (Apart from Patty) Jawai would be the perfect local, indigenous basketballer to get into their team [yeah, that's a racist statement but meant in the BEST way] and it would attract more (?) Northern Territorians to the NBL and the Taipans.

Harrison Froling or Fabian Krslovic next? Gives you the PG/SG and C spots covered. 1 more 'good' guard (shame that Chris Cedar has signed with SD Spartans), a couple of wings and, bring it on!

Thankfully, that is NOT going to be the core of their inaugural team!

Reply #881556 | Report this post

anon  
Two years ago

"Now, if Nate Jawai is their 2nd signing, that would have to be another coup.'

Do you really think he would forego his Cairns Marlins team? He's a QLD local, not NT.

Reply #881561 | Report this post

RobT  
Two years ago

No. I did not say that he (NJ) would go. In fact, that is what would make it a 'coup'! And by 'local', I meant non-import.

I did not say any of the mentioned will or would go.

Me, I am a fan of this conf, so interested ... and dreaming (night-marring, perhaps?). If you know the north conf, you will recognise that that would be a 'good' start for a new team! A much better start to building a roster than that of the JJ's!

If they have reasonable, financial backing/support (who knows?), and Jamerson as their 1st signing, Darwin have little to feel salty about!

Reply #881565 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

Anyone else wondering what the hell RobT is on about in his above two posts?

Reply #881566 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

Not really. He's just dreaming big. Nothing wrong with that. He seems to be aware that it is not realistic.

Reply #881567 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

RobT was on a dreamtime about Jawai joining the Salties.

Reply #881569 | Report this post

anon  
Two years ago

He's definitely got too much time on his hands! So many nonsense posts since he first found this forum a few months ago.

Reply #881570 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

567 - thanks Rob

Reply #881574 | Report this post

RobT  
Two years ago

"He's definitely got too much time on his hands!"
Yes, I do. I am retired with all day every day 'on my hands'. So where-as you might spend your most productive hours thinking up insults for unknown targets and accuse me of having time to waste. If you are so busy, why waste time reading posts you know you're not going to like.
"So many nonsense posts since he first found this forum a few months ago." How many? Are you even keeping score?

You know that because I have a recognisable identity (RobT) which allows people like you to avoid my, 'So many nonsense posts".

Whose the idiot? Me for writing or you for reading?

Reply #881592 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

Whose the idiot?
*Who's

Reply #881595 | Report this post

RobT  
Two years ago

Thanks, my bad!

Reply #881596 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

"You know that because I have a recognisable identity (RobT) which allows people like you to avoid my, 'So many nonsense posts".

Whose the idiot? Me for writing or you for reading? As soon as you have a nick you will be targeted by the retards, bullies, idiots, unco's and more. Yes many are retards. You are retired apparently which has nothing to do with anything, yet some retard decides to DECIDE you don't fit into what they expect. Or they decide you post stuff they don't like. Generally all these retards drag the forum down. The same posters with "real nicks" will be savaged by the usual people with anonymous "real nicks". The laws are now changing.

Reply #881601 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

Epic rant about totally nothing, nice.

Reply #881603 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:27 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754