SandyStrikesAgain
Years ago

Opals Squad - players not being contacted by BA

Abby Bishop and Alice Kunek have come out to say that nobody from BA has contacted them about the Opals in the past few years despite them both tearing up Europe.

Bishop and Kunek: in form but on the outer again

Kunek: "I've never been given any feedback [on my omission from the Opals] unless I have asked. Last year I asked for feedback and Cheryl [Chambers] said Sandy [Brondello] would call me, but I never got called. I’m lost for words now. I don’t know what else I have to do."

Bishop: "“I have never been contacted by BA [Basketball Australia] since I last got cut. Never been asked about my availability - nothing! I still wonder to this day why I got cut."

This stinks.

Topic #49584 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Absolutely, not even contacted at all. BS by BA

Atm,

I got 5 players that should be added to the list

Mansfield
Kunek
Maley
Bishop
Bunton

Players whos stock has dropped imo over last few months

Mitchell
Heal
Rocci
Ohea
Froling
Smith

Reply #880540 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Difference from Tokyo squad going forward Imo...

Mansfield replaces Mitchell
Lavey
Whitcomb replaces Ebzery(retired)
*1 of Cole, Nicholson, Madgen, Wallace or Melbourne
Talbot
Kunek replaces Ohea
Allen
Blicavs
Bishop replaces Smith
Magbegor
George
Tolo

*Atm I'd say Cole is the front runner but by the end of season my prediction is Wallace as a 5th guard.
Melbourne still a bit young, Nicholson and Madgen both plenty of chances but never shown much in green n gold.

Reply #880542 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kunek should be backup sf since 2018

Reply #880543 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Definitely should have been contacted and offered feedback. The reality is, it's often just a coach's feel towards one player over another. That's why some players will play a lot for one coach, and minimal for the next. It's also a lot to do with team combinations as well.

I think Abby was wrongfully on the outer with Joyce (I remember him suggesting her game was good for WNBL but not international ball as she isn't overly athletic), and Kunek has always taken a back seat to Talbot/Allen/Ohea. I'm personally not convinced she is better than those 3 at international level.

Sandy has obviously favoured the younger Smith and Magbegor. Then there's the likes of Tolo and George who definitely have always deserved a spot.

I think some coach's also get caught up in the idea that the next gen is always better than the current. I think Abby has shown she is still better than the current bigs going on current form. Smith hasn't really shown she measures up to the hype yet, and Magbegor is a talent but I'm yet to see her really dominate a game.

Just my thoughts.

Reply #880544 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sandy plays multiple players out of position in the opals. They play different positions in wnba.

Whitcomb 2 for opals, 1-2 for New York.
Talbot 2 for opals, 3 for seattle.
Allen 3 for opals, 4 for New York.
Magbegor 4 for opals, 5 for seattle.
George is a 5 not a 4
Ohea is a 3 not a 2
Blicavs is a 4 not a 3
Ebzery is a 2 not a 1
Madgen is a 2 not a 1

Kunek is a 3 not a 4
Bishop is a 5 not a 4

Reply #880545 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If you look back every coach has had favourites but lookin back when Kunek n Bishop played, they did quite well during that time with the opals.

Reply #880548 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think Bishop should be a lock. Less convinced Kunek is better than the following:

Ohea
Talbot
Allen
Blicavs
Madgen
Nicholson
Whitcomb

They may all play slightly different positions depending on lineup, but she's essentially going for the 2-3 spot, with maybe some stretch 4 thrown in if its small ball.

Alternatively, I think Bishop is definitely better or as good as:

Smith
Garbin
Aokuso

Reply #880552 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ohea is 34 and really is her last tournament. Kunek is 4 years younger.
Bishop 32, should make Sydney but miss paris.

Whitcomb like mills although 33, superior fitness will get them to paris in 2024.

Reply #880553 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Solved

Whitcomb-Lavey-Mansfield
Talbot-Ohea
Allen-Kunek
Magbegor-Blicavs
George-Tolo-Bishop

Reply #880555 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We won't even make top 6 and possibly not even top 8 of 12.

USA, Japan, China, France, Serbia, Canada, Belgium, Russia, Bosnia, Nigeria could all beat us next year

Reply #880557 | Report this post

SandyStrikesAgain  
Years ago

Whether Kunek and/or Bishop (and others) make the final 12 is beside the point.

The fact is that they SHOULD have received feedback. Should have been contacted. and Should be in the extended squad based on form and availability. The FACT these things did not happen is an indictment on everyone involved with managing the Opals program.

Reply #880560 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't think they’ve added the 3x3 factor, several players gotten better after playing 3x3 over last 4 years.

Reply #880561 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kunek had her best season in wnbl a couple of years ago and now been in euroleague for 2 years and averaged 17-5-4 over 2, shooting the 3 at 40%

Reply #880562 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Whether Kunek and/or Bishop (and others) make the final 12 is beside the point.

The fact is that they SHOULD have received feedback. Should have been contacted. and Should be in the extended squad based on form and availability. The FACT these things did not happen is an indictment on everyone involved with managing the Opals program.

Agreed.
And while my personal 12 for Tokyo didn't include either of them that doesn't mean they aren't deserving of being in the squad and in the mix and feeling like they can improve to make the team.
Looking ahead, is O'Hea really playing better basketball atm than Kunek? Is she a "lock" for life? Should Kunek just stop even trying?

We should want everyone from #13 downward to be motivated, improving on their weaker areas, and constantly pushing for selection because that elevates the whole program.
If that's not happening then the people running the show are failing in a pretty basic aspect of their jobs. Do they want success or not? It all reeks of a lack of basic integrity.

Reply #880563 | Report this post

JJ  
Years ago

Kunek has a poor attitude unless everything goes her way, that's why Sydney didn't have her back or Lynx. That may have been a factor in selection too. Agree these things should be communicated though.

Reply #880582 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lol bs, Sydney even said they wanted her back.

Reply #880583 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

These two, plus Maley, should be in the Opals squad NOW based on form alone.

Just feels like the Opals culture has taken a big dip during Sandy's tenure.

Two of your top players in Europe hearing crickets from BA / Opals staff across the past few years is crazy. You would not see that happening with the Boomers.

Reply #880586 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The competitive environment has gone, it's all laughs, fun n games.
Need someone there that’ll give 'em a boot up the bum and we need a dedicated skills trainer. We also need a s&c coach with more focus on cardio.

Reply #880587 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You just have to look at the treatment of sami, best player by a mile 4 years straight and Mitchell has been chosen 5 of the 6 tournaments.

Reply #880588 | Report this post

JJ  
Years ago

I can see how the Mitchell thing was complex though. She's First Nations and has been to all the previous tournaments. She's had a great career. With Cambage, Leilani was the right choice. Unfortunately Liz stuffed everything up and as a result we would've been far better off with Sami for her offensive skills.

To whoever said it was bs, I definitely have solid inside mail from both teams that Kunek was an attitude liability.

Reply #880590 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They had an article stating they wanted her back but she decided to go overseas.

Reply #880596 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kunek was definitely wanted back

Reply #880602 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I haven't seen anywhere that states that Kunek said she wasn’t asked back to Sydney.
I’m sure she wasn’t offered enough money to stay.
Why wouldn’t you play in Europe?
Improve your game against the best players in the world.
Get paid more than twice what is offered here, tax free.
See the world.
The season she had with Sydney, she was the second best player here, and missed the last 3 games.

Reply #880663 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You don't play in Europe tax free, when agents negotiate though they always let the player know what the net is, after tax.

Reply #880672 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

JJ
Your post about Kunek is BS!!!!!!!!!!!!
They wanted her back.!!!!!!!!!!.
Know the facts

Reply #880734 | Report this post

JJ  
Years ago

I never said it was reported they didn't want her back, I said I know from people connected to the club that her attitude was a concern - the same as it was with the Lynx.

I'm sorry if this has offended her ardent supporters but I've heard it from multiple people. Anyway it really doesn't concern me either way.

Reply #880738 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:31 pm, Tue 23 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754