Isaac
Years ago

Pelligra release $20m plans for Adelaide 36ers Arena upgrade

Titanium Security Arena will undergo a $20m redevelopment and rebranding as part of a plan to provide "greater access to grassroots sports".

Developer and stadium owner Pelligra released new concept images of its plans for the Findon site, which includes three indoor basketball and netball courts, an amenities block and disability access.

Outdoors, there would be a three-on-three basketball court superdome and show court, eight three-on-three courts that can be used for netball, and four volleyball courts.
This month, Charles Sturt Council agreed to consult the community about selling 10 per cent of adjacent Toogood Reserve - or about 5730sq m – to Pelligra for $30,000 to allow for the redevelopment.

It would lease the remaining 90 per cent to Pelligra for $1, however, the company would pick up the maintenance bill.
Full story

Topic #49589 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Kai Sotto Effect

Reply #880681 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pelligra have been planning this proposal since taking over the stadium. It's sad that this stadium was removed from the basketball community so long ago such a great place to watch a game just needed to be upgraded rather than left for such a long time by its previous owners.

Reply #880702 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

I much preferred watching games at Adelaide Arena than the Entertainment Center.

Reply #880767 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Toogood Reserve.

Reply #880773 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

With the desdtruction of the industry building on Crittenden Road the venue finally has some traffic exposure from a Main Road.

The venue was world class when built but BASA couldn't afford to maintain it, Eddy's millions dried up after 6 months and a $3m investment and since then its only investment has come from grants.

It's a money pit (no pun intended) but great that an owner is willing to throw some money into it for the community. Will never run at a profit but hopefully can build its use up as a hybrid venue.

Reply #880775 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

I love it, but why waste that much money when it's really not going to be a 36ers regular season stadia?

Also Wayville is being upgraded

Reply #880777 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

36ers are moving home games back there. It 100% will be their game day venue once the Entertainment Centre agreement expires.

Reply #880780 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If the 6ers are back, I'll be back. The current stadium is sterile and has no feel.

Reply #880785 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bring it back as the Powerhouse!!!

Reply #880788 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is ALP win the state election next year they'll abandon the city entertainment venue which the 36ers were originally going to be a tenant at. As it is their PR campagin will make it hard for the Libs to still go through with it.

That being the case they'll return to the Arena for the foreseeable future.

Reply #880792 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Yeah I could see SA stuffing up their decisions and not going ahead with the obvious completion piece for the riverbank.

Reply #880795 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As much as I hated travelling to Findon to watch the games, I'd rather have them move back there than the Riverbank project to go ahead. The Ent Centre is fine, but a bit meh, lacks something (probably history).

Reply #880797 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Dinner in the CBD and a pregame drink, then game at a decent stadium in the CBD on the riverbank, followed by some drinks at a peel st/Leigh st bar sounds like a good night out.

A stadium sized appropriately so that Adelaide can put its adult pants on and actually have decent artists not bypass the city? Makes sense.

Attached to the convention centre to actually attract bigger events/conventions and bring money to the local SA economy instead of relying on Fed Gov hand outs? That'd be the smart thing to do.

Reply #880800 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Which is exactly why it won't happen in Adelaide. Makes too much sense and its not for footy.

Reply #880801 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

So you're telling me there's a city more behind than Perth? Now that's a scary thought.

Reply #880805 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

I think the riverbank stadium would be ideal but I'd be shocked if the Marshall government got back in at this rate.

Reply #880810 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

PW - NIMBYism is strong in Rads, good ideas and decisions are met with anger whilst crappy expensive alternatives that need multiple fixes is the consistent fashion of the day.

Adelaide Oval redevelopment (save for the too-small bridge), and the small bar licence are the two occasions that give hope to those of us not diseased with NIMBYism

Reply #880845 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

KET you're leaving out the bit where they hid an $85m gift to SACA to pay off all its debts in the cost of the redevelopment of Adelaide Oval.

While they blew up basketball in SA over a $13-$15m debt they caused due to their stupid restrictions on the Arena and high interest rate on the loan to buld a venue for them (as part of their Commonwealth Games bid) as much as for basketball, to save the Ent Centre from going bankrupt.

I note in these plans the Council will lease the balance of the Oval to the current owner for $1 a year, yet in the BASA days this was over $60k a year. All levels of Government in SA just see basketball as a cash grab.

In return they got about $3.5m of the debt back, barely covering the cost of bringing in the administrators and all the committees etc they created to rebuild the sport. As a result we got the mess that is multiple terrible 36ers owners/managements, Lightning being run by a dad for the benefit of his daughter then on a budget by muiltiple owners and even BA and BSA at one point and don't even get started on the state of Basketball SA right now.

Reply #880847 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah, somehow an entertainment venue (or just basketball stadium as Labor have been calling it) became the opposite of fixing ambulance ramping for Labor's campaign. So, I've got no clue how the 36ers are going to find another venue in the next 20 years, it's going to be political suicide to propose an entertainment venue again.

Reply #880849 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Redevelopment of Adelaide Oval was always going to be a vote winner as it houses the most popular sport in most of Australia, plus with BBL and the test. At the time they maybe could have tacked on a multipurpose indoor sports arena adjacent.
And since the pandemic a lot of eyes are on the health system and staffing issues. Yet we only recently built a billion dollar hospital. There's a yes minister episode where they have a fully staffed public servant administration, but no patients as they would get in the way.
And another TV reference, some swindler must have got in Noddy Marshall's ear ala the Simpsons monorail episode and convinced him this would take the public's mind off covid. But the recent bungling should hand power to Labour in a landslide. Even though they were probably the ones cutting health funding in the first place, can never keep up.
Just dust off the Powerhouse, couple of coats of paint, new seating and whatever they're doing outside.

Reply #880855 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Both ALP and Libs have destroyed the Health system and cut staffing down to unsafe levels. But they'll point the finger at each other and point score at every chance. And the majority of ill-informed voters will eat it up while BSA allows basketball to continue to be a punching bag because they got 4 new basketball courts in 20 years.

Reply #880856 | Report this post

-  
Years ago

Findon was fine but a venue that can hold 2022 and onwards crowd numbers is what is needed. I support both the Riverbank Concept and better public health. Don't forget the $ put into Adelaide Oval - controversial at the time but a very much liked venue now. We have to have some progress in the state.

Reply #881022 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Let's build spaceships so everyone can go to space as well. Where's the money coming from.

Reply #881024 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Interesting you bring up spaceships as both Feds and State Governments are investing billions in developing a space industry, in Adelaide.

Reply #881027 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Obviously the state has some pressure on its finances at the moment and we do need to spend on the health system. But Marshall surely knows this. I suspect that they plan to offset the cost of building the Riverbank stadium.

If they build an Entertainment Centre/ Basketball stadium on the Torrens, then they don't need the current Entertainment Centre anymore. That would surely be SA Govt owned land that the Entertainment Centre sits on right?

If they demolish the Entertainment Centre and sell that land to developers for high rise apartments, that would raise quite a bit of money that could be used to fund the new stadium.

It would also be a great location for apartments, because you have the tram and train very close for public transport, its a very easy bike ride or walk to work in the city, you get great views of the Parklands and you could really build up the local businesses on Port Rd around the demand created by the influx of people.

It's just my theory, but I think that would be a good way to get a Riverbank stadium, which is a much better location than the top of Port Rd, as well as offset its cost and make good use of the current Entertainment Centre site.

Reply #881029 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Indeed, they made it clear they'd do that to offset some costs.

Aside from GST, SA largely relies on health, tourism and defence.

Having a riverbank arena connected to convention centre brings investment return opportunity that don’t exist at the moment for lack of a suitable space.

The problem with "where will the money come from" and “we should spend all money on health” is that you actually need an economy which generates money, not just spends, and semblance of diversity in the economy.

Otherwise you won’t have money to spend on health anyway because you won’t be making any money in the first place.

The new WCH, SAHMRI2, Riverbank Arena all make sense to build given the current circumstances. Its an affordable proposition and most of it already pre planned.

Reply #881030 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Yeah I agree with that KET. We badly need the Feds to get it together on Defence contracts though, so we can actually ramp up investment and employment opportunities. All the dithering and chopping and changing has meant a wasted decade!

Reply #881031 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

One plan had them selling off Hindmarsh as well and turning thr Riverbank stadium into an indoor/outdoor rectangular stadium for basketball, netball and soccer as well as concerts and conventions.

The cost was just too great and the value of the land Hindmarsh Stadium is on was way too low.

Reply #881035 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Yeah, I don't think each sport having their own arena is ideal with the upkeep and duplication costs, and they’d be fragmenting whatever peripheral revenue that can be managed.

There was a point where AFL/SANFL was Football park, cricket at Adelaide oval, tennis at memorial, netball at etsa park, soccer at Hindmarsh stadium, basketball at Clipsal powerhouse, concerts at entertainment centre, conventions at the convention centre.

If the money was there, would have been nice to have the soccer aspect as well, that way you’d have netball/conventions/concerts in winter and basketball/soccer/tennis (complimenting memorial drive) in summer for all year round use.

Reply #881047 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Riverbank Stadium is all but dead now.

State ALP PR has branded it a waste of money.

Fed LNP has invested in known sporting brands (AFL) and will instead invest millions more in new training facilities for both the Power and Crows.

BSA and the Lightning aren't interested and have gone another way with the Wayville development.

36ers along with GK and LK's mates at Pelligra have instead invested in the 36ers Arena as a "new" home.

Netball is on the slide since the the ANZ Championship ended, and AFLW has decimated their playing numbers.

Concerts and even major conventions appear a while away giving the ongoing issues around COVID.

It's done. If the Libs get ousted in March, State ALP will never consider it.

Reply #881051 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

There's no actual investment in the playing stadium itself though - none of the investment appears designed for game day.

Wouldn’t make sense for Adelaide to return to an increasingly outdated lower capacity stadium away from the CBD.

Looks to be a more training & community based venue based on the investment.

Reply #881055 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

KET the playing Arena has already started being made over. The news is about the additional areas but the playing arena is being upgraded consistently.

The NBL games will move back. AEC normal pricing makes it pointless running the Arena at a loss and paying and losing money playing at the AEC. They're only there now to show they were committed to the Riverbank move and because the AEC offered them a 3 year contract at a heavily discounted rate.

Reply #881058 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

That's what I assumed to. They're not going to pump $20 million into redeveloping the Powerhouse if they don't intend for the 36ers to move back there. The AEC move was a gamble that failed, a worthy gamble though.

Reply #881061 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think most of the general public are looking at priorities, health being headline news every day. Noddy Marshall really shot himself in the foot going after the new arena. In another time it might have sparked some outrage, but wouldn't have been that big a deal. And Chapman or some other liberal might have profited, corrupt as they are.
It will probably happen in the future, either in its current format or cheaper, but definitely not a vote winner next year. Noddy is probably happy to handover the shit heap he's got ATM anyway.

Reply #881065 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Health and the stadium can both hae money allocated to them. The Goverment spend millions every year on their mates, on themselves, on winning the next election.

ALP have made it a stadium vs health choice.

It's not.

The State Budget isn't that simple, surely people understand that.

Reply #881074 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

It'd be disappointing if they returned - Ent centre with aircon, more comfy seats, better view, bigger capacity and better location was a natural step forward.

Some attribute Ent centre to worse atmosphere but in my experience the few years prior to moving, TSA had a bland atmosphere probably due to different crowd demographics. Long gone are the savage Adelaide crowd that targeted players incessantly, swayed refs and reflected momentum.

It’s a younger more family driven atmosphere, which is a lot more tempered.

Re the politics, SMH at ALP pulling the cynicism card, trying to a pull an Abbott-card of "do the opposite on everything".

The business proposition stacks up well, it fits perfectly as part of the riverbank development. Arguments against is ill-thought out at best, misleading at worst. It’s something that should have received bipartisan support, and even more crucial to a flailing construction industry.

Trust South Australia to screw up easy decisions.

Reply #881097 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:28 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754