Isaac
Two years ago

Klay returns to Warriors tomorrow

After 900+ days out of action, Klay Thompson is set to make his return for the Warriors in tomorrow's home game against Cleveland.

"I've had a few people ask me, 'What are you gonna do with Klay?' It's Klay Thompson. When you can score 60 points in 29 minutes, generally your coach should start you. Klay is going to start."
- Steve Kerr

Topic #49631 | Report this topic

Geth  
Two years ago

900 days is no joke! Which means he's never played during the covid era. That and probably a "different" league to enter back into. He’s a shooter so he’ll be fine!

Reply #881784 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Two years ago

Live on SBS Viceland too.

Reply #881789 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

Are there any other legit starts like Klay who have missed this much basketball and returned at the same level?

900 days is incredible.

Reply #881801 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

^ummm, Michael Jordan.

Reply #881804 | Report this post

Isaac  
Two years ago

Klay Thompson has earned $78,838,770 until injury in 2019 Finals. Since last time Klay Thompson has played he earned $84,314,642. Klay made more money being injured than through playing.
- Basketball Reference

Reply #881805 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

804 - sorry I meant injured, not retired etc.

How long was KD out for? Only one season?

Isaac - reminds me when Grant Hill was playing (or not) ended up being 200,000 per game

Reply #881806 | Report this post

LV  
Two years ago

I can't remember any sports person getting injured in their prime and missing this long

There have been plenty who missed substantial time, or who went several years with continuous injuries, but who's had this long between games?

Great story, let's hope he goes alright

Reply #881816 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

Bernard King

Reply #881817 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

Jordan was suspended, not injured. Bernard King close, but not 900+ days.

Reply #881866 | Report this post

Cram  
Two years ago

Pretty good return for Klay. Definitely some rust but looked confident going to the rim which is great.

Before the game the Warriors said they werent going to force feed him the ball but then as soon as the game started instantly did just that with Curry making some awful passes trying to get the ball to him.

I think its a no brainer he'll return to being a great shooter, but whether he can come back to be a very good defender will be interesting. He looked ok there, but will take some more work at that end.

Reply #881895 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

They were always going to run an action for him early to get the pressure of his first shot out of the way. Would think they'll be limiting minutes till all star break, then unleash him. Wiggins will be probably the one to suffer on the offensive end, but then again he could benefit from driving lanes.
As for his defence, imo he looked fairly good, even got some real bad calls looking at replay.
It's scary if Wiseman, Kuminga and Moody progress, or if someone comes up in trade talks they ship a couple of them out in a win now situation.
Total fantasy but imagine if Zion wants a trade and becomes healthy.

Reply #881897 | Report this post

Cram  
Two years ago

I think Zion ever being healthy is a fantasy to be honest.

Yeah Wiseman is a real unknown. He can play and his position is their weakest at the moment, but until he gets back on the court its hard to know whether he can help them win or what they can get for him on the trade market. In a perfect world he'd come in and give them what Ayton did for the Suns last season, but its probably too early for that.

Reply #881898 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

I can see Zion miraculously getting healthy if he gets traded to big market team. But yeah, just a fantasy for now.
It looks like they're settling on their final rotation. Steph, Klay, Green, Wiggins and probably Looney and bench GP2, Poole, Porter and Wiseman(or swap with Looney). And maybe JTA. So the rookies will be luxuries on the bench. If they went all in, Detroit might give up Grant for some combination of youngsters, plus maybe some picks or swaps. Then there'll be the buyout market. DeAndre Jordan is being shopped, might be solid backup plan if bought out, can't see him being in high demand amongst contenders elsewhere. Might need him if they face phoenix or Denver in play-offs.

Reply #881911 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:16 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754