MJ
Two years ago

Lauren Jackson is back!

LJ will be suiting up for the Albury/Wodonga Bandits in NBL1 East.

Massive news for the Bandits and NBL1. Even at 40 she should dominate that competition.

Hope she does well and can get back into Australian colours. You'd have to think it's going to be tough at 40 and with her injury history but if anyone can do it, she can.

Topic #49699 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Two years ago

Australian colours, never going to happen.

Reply #883777 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

WC if chosen... what a disgrace.

Reply #883778 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

Sandy pretty much said she in if healthy.
This is so wrong.

Playing in weakest nbl1 conference...
If she dominated in nbl1 north or south, you could turn ya head west but east will be no competition.

Reply #883779 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

She probably is still a better player than Bilcavs, George, Smith even if she hasn't touched a basketball in 6 years.

Reply #883780 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

I doubt that

Reply #883781 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

#780 so 6 years old, 20kgs heavier, giving birth to a baby and her body was absolutely broken when she retired. At the height of her powers pound for pound the best basketballer in the world. This to me is just a little ick

Reply #883782 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

This is all a media blow up. Will not play for opals. Will be lucky to play 5 games for Albury with all her work commitments.

Reply #883784 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

What work commitments lol.

Reply #883788 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Two years ago

This is so wrong.

It sure is

Reply #883789 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

Just great to see her back, let's see how it all works out. If she’s half as good as she was it’ll still be very good.

Reply #883791 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

I also heard that her Mum is playing as well .......

Reply #883792 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

I've seen her training several ti,esc over last month or so, she has slimmed down heaps, can still shoot but she is way too slow for fiba level.

Reply #883793 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

Born in 1981, would be 41 at WC.
Mitchell is 36 and way past due by date .

Reply #883794 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Two years ago

Did a lot of people somehow miss that she will be playing for the Albury Wodonga Bandits, not the Australian Opals?

Reply #883796 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Two years ago

Good on her but her body was shot 6 years ago so I doubt this will go well. No way she ever plays international basketball again come on she wouldn't even be WNBL standard. She's just having a run around at NBL1 level.

Reply #883797 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

That's not what sandy has said, sandy says if she has a good nbl1 season and she remains fit, she’s a real chance of playing backup,centre.

Reply #883801 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

Opals coach Sandy Brondello has backed Lauren Jackson's comeback bid, declaring: "She is one of greatest players of all time, so if she thinks she can come back, then why shouldn’t she try."

As revealed in the Logue Down basketball column, Jackson is considering a return to the court to play in front of her two boys.

The 40-year-old, who retired from professional hoops in 2016, is back training and looks super fit.

The Basketball Hall of Famer has also had success using medicinal cannabis to assist with the well-publicised pain that ended her career.

It’s prompted Jackson to weigh up a comeback and Brondello confirmed the pair had spoken about coming out of retirement.

“I spoke to Lauren months ago, we do keep in touch, and she did say that she was interested in doing that (a comeback),” Brondello said on the WNBL’s coverage on Kayo.

Obviously, I’ll give her my support. It is more about how her body can respond to that.

“But this is one of the greatest players of all time, so if she thinks she can come back, then why shouldn’t she try.”

Brondello was also asked if there was a possibility that Jackson could also make a stunning comeback for the Opals at this year’s World Cup in Sydney from September 22 to October 1.

“Look, we’ll have to see what (happens) in the next few months,” she said.

“Lauren is putting in the hard work and just exploring at the moment, so I commend her for that.

“She has had a great career, regardless of what happens. She is motivated, so we’ve just got to wait and see.”

The Opals’ preparations for this year’s World Cup will ramp up with a training camp in Sydney from January 31 to February 4.

The side then travels to Serbia for a qualifying tournament between February 10 and-13.

The Australians have already qualified for the home Cup, but will receive vital game practice in clashes against Korea, Serbia, and Brazil.

It remains to be seen whether Jackson’s comeback includes the Opals, but Boomers legend and NBL champion Chris Anstey thinks it’s not unrealistic that the Aussie GOAT could make a stunning return to the international stage.

“If the Opals are looking for the perfect replacement for Liz Cambage, then it’s Lauren,” he said.

“Can you imagine the story bringing Lauren back into the Opals at a time when they are struggling — perhaps the worst in the history of their program.

“And they bring in the greatest Opal of all-time to steady the ship.

“If Lauren is in shape with her basketball IQ, her physicality, and her skill, then give her a month and she becomes one of the best players in the WNBL immediately - that is how good she is.

“I’ve heard that Lauren is keen to return from enough people now, who believe it is going to happen, and until it does, we can just cross our fingers and hope.

“Forget the Australian GOAT, Lauren could quite easily be the best female player in the history of the game — she is in that echelon.”

Reply #883804 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

Anstey has always been delusional.

Reply #883806 | Report this post

SandyStrikesAgain  
Two years ago

Opals will be a stretch but not out of the realms of possibility if she is fit and can demonstrate she has what it takes still to compete at that level. NBL1 East is well below WNBL, let alone NBL1 North and South.

Plus she will be unable to compete in international competition (FIBA) while using medicinal cannabis according to WADA.

Reply #883807 | Report this post

Cram  
Two years ago

I think its great. Sure, she's not gonna make the Opals, but who cares? Nobody is calling her a lock, but when the GOAT says they feel like playing again its normal for people to say "never say never".

Also for the "her body was broken 6 years ago" people, maybe the time off helped? And anyone using pregnancies against her? Often women actually come back stronger once they've had a baby.

Its a nice story. Hopefully I get a chance to see her play in NBL1

Reply #883808 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

Yes her body may have healed after 6 years off, but it's also 6 years older.

Reply #883809 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

I completely agree with Cram. If she wants to have a go, why shouldn't she? I also think the Opals thing is a media blow up and people need to relax.
Also age is relative, just because Mitchell is "past it" in some peoples opinion at 36, it doesn't mean everyone is (I'm not even referring to Jackson right now I'm talking in general).
Look at Sue Bird, Diana Taurasi for instance.

Reply #883810 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

Sue bird is a fitness freak and is a guard, name 1 elite post player older than late 30s.
Fowles turning 37 and admits she won't be around much longer.

Reply #883814 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

Plus she will be unable to compete in international competition (FIBA) while using medicinal cannabis according to WADA.

Great point which everybody seems to have ignored for the sake of mass debating.

Reply #883817 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

I am surprised she is able to play NBL1 for the same reason

Reply #883818 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

She said she would have to stop without exemption, watch the press conference.

Reply #883819 | Report this post

LV  
Two years ago

This is very exciting.

Who knows how it'll go, but if her body's feeling really good, she could easily play WNBL again. Opals you'd think unlikely, but who knows.

It's all about her body- maybe the the 6 years have helped her body recover from all her ailments, and with a limited training program she could play for another 2 or 3 years?

Jackson's old teammate Sue Bird's still going well at 41. But someone asked about post players. Tim Duncan played NBA til 40, Karl Malone till 41 and Lauren Jackson is a female equivalent of them. Duncan or Malone would've dominated NBL if they'd played in Australia at 40.

Reply #883820 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

Lol^

Reply #883822 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Two years ago

If it generates positive publicity and bums on seats for women's basketball anywhere then that’s a good thing

Reply #883826 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Two years ago

I'm all for this it's positive news I doubt she gets back to WNBL level let alone Opals level but good for her. Jordan came back at 38 a shell of what he was admittedly but played another couple of years. Only 40yo in NBA history to have a 40 point game.

But those talking about Sue Bird's age and old NBA players etc the big big difference is those players never stopped playing and LJ's body was being held together with gaffer tape by the end of her career.

Reply #883828 | Report this post

MJ  
Two years ago

Man, this website is the worst. So many people wanting to heap crap on her and talk this down.

I hope she does well. It's big news for NBL1 and massive for the Bandits. Good luck to her. Hope she dominates.

Reply #883831 | Report this post

Captain Jack  
Two years ago

I watched her press conference, she seems keen to just play in her home town in front of family and friends. She said herself a couple of times that the opals are not really on her radar at this stage, she doesnt see it as realistic, given she is 40 years old and basically hasnt played for 8 years. She just wants to get out there and see how she goes i think, doesnt sound like shes even aiming to play WNBL again either.

Awesome news for basketball and the NBL1 and Lauren, i hope she does awesome and really enjoys herself playing again.

Reply #883837 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

Thanks for clearing that up Captain Jack.

Reply #883840 | Report this post

SandyStrikesAgain  
Two years ago

Captain obvious!

MSM is all about sensationalism these days at the expense of any substance.

Reply #883841 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

Often times the MSM fine and it's just the literacy of the readers that isn't up to scratch.
Best of luck to Loz with the comeback. I hope she makes it out there and does well. It would be great for her and for the NBL1 if she could finish off playing for her local side.

Reply #883842 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

She may well drop 50 in the highly competitive NBL1 East

Reply #883843 | Report this post

Justsayin  
Two years ago

"Often times the MSM fine and it's just the literacy of the readers that isn't up to scratch.
Best of luck to Loz with the comeback. I hope she makes it out there and does well. It would be great for her and for the NBL1 if she could finish off playing for her local side."

I second to that

Reply #883847 | Report this post

Senator11  
Two years ago

Go for it LJ!

Reply #883851 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

She's had her time in the green and gold , time to let the younger ones have their moment to shine, if they continue to bring in players past their prime share do they younger ones go, they won’t wait around forever .
Now all she’s doing is basking in more hype . Fine if she wants to have a run at NBL1 but she should be coaching not playing.
Her body won’t take the pace of domestic , no amount of weight loss or training can fix her knees, and she’s can’t play on her "cannabis trial" meds either

Why can’t these players hang up their boots with some thought of those coming through the ranks

Reply #883861 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Two years ago

Why can't these players hang up their boots with some thought of those coming through the ranks

I've never understood this mindset but you see it a bit on here. This is senior basketball it's not juniors. Put aside the fact it's only NBL1 level if LJ coming back is blocking someone from being 12th man on an NBL1 team then frankly they were never going anywhere anyway.

Reply #883862 | Report this post

Anon  
Two years ago

"I've never understood this mindset but you see it a bit on here. This is senior basketball it's not juniors. Put aside the fact it's only NBL1 level if LJ coming back is blocking someone from being 12th man on an NBL1 team then frankly they were never going anywhere anyway.
"
It's not the juniors it’s those in their 20s, it’s not just NBL1 , it’s those in the Opals squad already, take Magbegor, or Blicavs, spotlight would immediately be off players like that the second Jackson suits up.
And as for the “12 player” she won’t be a 12th player she will be a starter in that league, and yes it’s a senior league, but it’s not a veterans

Reply #883892 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Two years ago

She's not going to be on any Opals teams she's playing for this NBL1 team because it's her hometown team to play in front of family and friends and so what if she starts in that league it still only means and end of bench player misses out on a spot.

Reply #883895 | Report this post

Chillbaby  
Two years ago

Good on her. Most people are missing her motivation which is basically love of the game and wanting to give back. She wouldn't be doing it if she felt her body wasn't ready and TBH for Lauren playing NBL1 its probably like most of us playing socially with our mates and a lot less tougher on her body - even factoring in training - than the higher leagues. Whether or not the Opals are on her radar (and I suspect this is a beat up although she will be with the team in some direct capacity) she certainly deserves to go out on her terms be it with Albury or the Opals - it would have been so hard on her going into forced retirement. Good luck, Lauren, enjoy your time with your team mates, family and friends with the Bandits!

Reply #883908 | Report this post

Isaac  
Two years ago

"I haven't played for eight years ... I might be terrible; there are so many unknowns at this point and I’m 40 years old," she said. “The stars have really aligned for me at the moment ... to be pain free, get out and move again is what I’m hoping for.

“I was really drained, basketball had taken a huge toll on me emotionally so it’s going to be a new experience for me and I’m so excited.”

Reply #883931 | Report this post

Cram  
Two years ago

The idea that someone who still wants to play should step aside when they're still good enough is absurd. You're a long time retired, go make the most of it

Reply #883933 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

"it would have been so hard on her going into forced retirement. “

She wasn't forced by anything other than her body couldn’t take anymore injuries and she wasn’t enjoying the game anymore

Now she’s been on a “cannabis trial"( how on earth did she manage that, I know plenty of people who certainly would be more needing this just to have a less painful life than someone who wants to play sport , )and whole it’s great that it’s helped her , she can’t have this in her system in NBL1 or WNBL/Opals , and if she’s given an exemption it will ( or should be) then free rein for anyone else needed enhancement/assistance to be able to play .
Her family and friends would have seen her play many many times over her career, so don’t think that’s her reason for coming back after almost 8 yrs out .

Reply #883969 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

Yeah seems like ba trying to create some sort of fairytale to get people interested.

Reply #883974 | Report this post

LOL  
Two years ago

LOL if all it takes for Ezi or one of the other current Opals to have their sunshine stolen, then they can't be that fantastic. If a vet can come back and immediately steal their show I think they have bigger problems.

Never understood the mentality that older players should just "step aside" after a lifetime of hard work and just roll the red carpet out for the new ones. Why would they? Certainly doesn't happen in any other workforce.

I suspect there's a few desperate parents or bitter players on here who need an entitlement check.

Reply #884086 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

I'm not sure anyone on here is an authority on how much pain she was in, or how worthy she might be for a cannabis trial. Get a grip.

Reply #884087 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

Plenty of peeps would be happy to espouse the "if you're good enough, you're old enough" saying for young players to get a go but what about "if you're good enough, you're YOUNG enough"? Employing a an approach based on meritocracy means we don't worry about anything but ability in the field in question. If younger players cannot outplay LJ then tough cookies, get better and prove your worth on the court through your ability and don't expect to "have your turn just coz I should".

Reply #884088 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Two years ago

The argument in the other direction of course would be the possibility of a world famous legend being given a spot for reasons other than pure playing ability.
Hypothetically if Ezi is a better player today than LJ then I don't want LJ in the Opals team today.
I suspect it's probably not going to be an issue at NBL1 level though. It seems realistic to me that she could earn her spot fair & square, in which case it is win-win for the club in terms of both on court success and publicity.

The way her career finished really sucked, so I hope this comeback works out so that she can enjoy some basketball again and then leave it on her own terms this time. She more than deserves the chance.

Reply #884091 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

Don't envy the selectors at any level (for any team sport) to be honest. Picking a relay team for athletics or swimming is easy, fastest 4 times get the gig, but with team sports not so easy. Selectors are trying to weigh up a whole lot of "intangibles" as well as more tangible stats. An older player can get into a good position proactively as they read the play better but a younger, speedier player can get into a good position reactively so who do you go with? Scouting opponents comes into it (matchups etc) and generally opinions on selection are like arseholes, everybody has one. Sometimes selectors will get it "right" (team wins) and sometimes they will get it "wrong" (team loses). Glad I am not doing it.

Reply #884098 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

Would not suprise me if we end up with... just for the headlines
Under sandy…

Whitcomb-Heal-Lavey
Talbot-(Madgen or Wallace)
Allen-(Ohea or Blicavs)
Magbegor-Smith
George-Tolo-Jackson

Don't think sandy will choose a Rocci, Mansfield, Cole, Nicholson, Kunek, Maley, Garbin, bishop, Aokuso, Scherf for WC based on this camp and previous years.

Reply #884100 | Report this post

Jock  
Two years ago

Once retired, stay retired.
But I admire the media attention she will bring to the league!
Great ambassador for the game, but I hope she doesn't embarrass herself if her body is not up to the task.

Reply #884227 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

It's NBL1 East, she could get up and down in a walking frame and still score at will on the block

Reply #884228 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

FYI Kelly Slater just won a WSL event just a few days before turning 50 and Claudia Pechstein competed in the 3000m speed skating event at her 8th Olympics, also just a few days before turning 50. If you're good enough, you're young enough. Age discrimination is no different to any other discrimination and should not be tolerated.

Reply #884259 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

Completely agree re: age discrimination. People get so caught up in the year you're born and suddenly anything you do wrong is put down to "old age" regardless.

As for Jock, LOL. She won't embarrass herself, pretty sure when you were once considered the best in the game you can entertain a little come back. She's also only playing NBL1 for a bit of fun, so everyone just needs to take a chill pill.

Reply #884338 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

Exactly. A lot of water to flow under the bridge before she pulls on an Opals jersey (or bodysuit!) and I suspect all she was trying to say was "if my country thinks they need me I want leave them in the lurch" (unlike a couple of other notable current day "stars").

Reply #884355 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:05 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754