Isaac
Two years ago

Boomers squad for Asian Qualifiers announced

Basketball Australia (BA) today announced their squad of 17 players for the FIBA Basketball World Cup Asian Qualifiers to be held in Okinawa, Japan this month.

The future of Australian men's basketball deems strong with a talent pool of players from the Centre of Excellence, NBA Global Academy and NBL making up the squad representing Australia against Japan and Chinese Taipei. With the 2023 FIBA Basketball World Cup looming large the depth of talent coming through Australian basketball pathways couldn’t come at a better time for Head Coach Rob Beveridge.

"The talent that we are putting on the floor, although young, have all been part of Basketball Australia’s National Pathway and I have no doubt they we will represent our country with distinction."
“I am really excited about coaching these up-and-coming future stars and exposing them to what it means to be part of the Boomers program.”

At only 30 years of age, Japanese based Olympic medalist Nick Kay will be one of the oldest and most experienced players on the team. Kay’s international success with the Boomers stems back to 2017 where he was part of the gold medal winning team at the FIBA Asia Cup. Since then, he’s become an integral member of the team, he was part of the gold medal performance at the 2018 Commonwealth Games and in 2021 played an important role in the historic bronze medal win at the Tokyo Olympic Games. Currently playing in the Japanese B League, Kay knows he has a lot to offer to his young teammates.

“I take any opportunity I can to play for the Boomers and am looking forward to taking on more of a leadership role. Hopefully my experience in Japan will be helpful and I can’t wait to get to know the young fellas,” Kay said.

Boomers Olympic Head Coach Brian Goorjian is excited about the opportunity for the development players and knows they will do Australia proud.

“The rose gold in Tokyo was about basketball at all levels and these development players now have a tremendous opportunity to step up and represent in the green and gold."

"We are fortunate to have Rob Beveridge at the helm, he is the best person to lead this young group with his extensive experience. Rob will be supported by Robbie McKinlay and Mike Kelly and I personally want to thank the Perth Wildcats for working with us to get Mike over to Japan,” Goorjian said.

The NBA Global Academy’s Tyrese Proctor will be the squad’s youngest member, at only 18 years old and is excited to be given this opportunity at such a young age.

“I’m really honoured to be selected and get the opportunity to go to Japan with the Boomers and represent my country, said Proctor.

The Boomers will play three matches at the qualifying tournament later this month.

Event Dates
25 February- AUS v CHINESE TAIPEI
27 February - AUS v JAPAN
28 February- CHINESE TAIPEI v AUS

Location- OKINAWA ARENA- OKINAWA JAPAN
ZUNIC KYLE Perth Wildcats
MACDONALD SEAN Tasmania JackJumpers
MUDRONJA ALEXANDER Illawarra Hawks
PROCTOR TYRESE NBA GA Academy
GALLOWAY JAYLIN Sydney Kings
GAK AKOLDAH Illawarra Hawks
OKWERA WENA Melbourne United
KAY NICHOLAS Shimane Susanoo Magic
BRANDT ANGUS Kagawa Five Arrows
VAGUE RHYS Kagawa Five Arrows
NAAR EMMETT Illawarra Hawks
MALUACH MAKUACH Korikouvot (FIN)
MOLLER CRAIG Wuerzburg (GER)
WESSELS HARRY Centre of Excellence
DENGDIT BOL Centre of Excellence
TRIPLETT ZAC Melbourne United
MARSHALL NICHOLAS Adelaide 36ers

Topic #49702 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Two years ago

6'1 Naar
6’2 Zunic
6’4 Proctor
6’5 Triplett
6’5 Maluach
6’6 Galloway
6’6 Marshall
6’8 Moller
6’9 Kay
6’10 Okwera
6’10 Brandt
6’11 Gak

Cut
6’2 Macdonald
6’5 Mudronja
6’9 Vague
6’11 Dengdit
7’1 Wessels

Reply #883832 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

Pity no

Shervill
hayes-brown
Mathiang

Reply #883833 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

Shervill injured

Reply #883838 | Report this post

DennisRodmansHair  
Two years ago

Interesting mix of players! Cant wait to see what the starting 5 will look like.

Reply #883839 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

Moller hasn't been 6’8 since 15, he’s closer to 6’10. Nice to see Naar given a shot, him and Moller were an excellent combination in their school days.

Naar
Zunic
Moller
Kay
Brandt
Nice starting five.

Reply #883845 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

lol nowhere near s5

Reply #883854 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

Triplett shouldn't even be at United
How could he be in squad averaging 3 points a game at college.
Who you know not what you know.

Reply #883859 | Report this post

Narendra  
Two years ago

A bit harsh when he's only played 18 games and averaged 10 mpg....

Reply #883871 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

And 2.8 points per game now playing for Australia.
We all know it's corrupt.
Coach wouldn’t even know him.

Reply #883873 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

Adelaide Fans approve this roster (but only if Mudronja starts).

Reply #883881 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Two years ago

"And 2.8 points per game now playing for Australia.
We all know it's corrupt.
Coach wouldn't even know him."

You say 'playing for Australia' as though he's lining up for an Olympic games.

As important as these qualifiers are in the scheme of things, the team that is taking the floor in a few weeks are NOT the best this country has to offer, and no one in their right mind would claim they are. So let's just not take these selections so seriously, shall we? It's a team of development players and guys from the CEO with only ONE genuine top-tier level Boomer in Nick Kay. You've zoned in on one particular kid yet most of our entire team wouldn't average better than 2.8 ppg in the NBL

Reply #883898 | Report this post

Chillbaby  
Two years ago

The final team will be interesting. Initially the 3 players in Japan were not going to be released as they had to isolate before joining team and then go into 2 week bubble with the team meaning they missed up to 6 games. Not sure if that's been resolved yet? Anyone know for certain? Either way it will be great to see how the younger ones go against the opposition. Won't be easy although they have picked possibly the best coach to work with this young team in Bevo regardless of Goorjians availability

Reply #883909 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

"We all know it's corrupt." How do we know that? Sounds libelous to me.

Reply #883910 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

Great to see Naar and Maluach in team.

Reply #883939 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

Nicholas Marshall had great year with Mount Gambier and now in Aus squad.
Might show us that NBL1 is working and needed.

Reply #883940 | Report this post

MU fan  
Two years ago

wow anonymous, dont think you have any idea, Zac and David have huge futures at United, the championship team don't pick you up and sign you long term if you are no good. All reports Triplett had 4 nbl clubs all over him, you are tough on a 19 year old kid

Reply #884621 | Report this post

MU fan  
Two years ago

championship team is corrupt lol. have heard it all now, are you a Monday night wannabe ? come on man

Reply #884624 | Report this post

RobT  
Two years ago

Was Ben S even considered for this tournament? He wasn't doing much else!

Reply #884738 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:44 pm, Thu 28 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754