Stevy
Two years ago

FIBA World Cup Asian Qualifiers Window 1 & 2 Review

The FIBA World Cup Asian Qualifiers are less than a week away. FIBA basketball is finally back. No FIBA break for the NBL, CBA, KBL, PBA, and T1 league, mostly due to the pandemic ruining schedules. The B league, as always, will have a FIBA break to accommodate players with national team duties. Will only review Group A and B.

Group A
NZL
KOR
PHI
IND

This group is full of surprises and not in a good way.

The first team is the Tall Blacks, and due to the NBL not having a FIBA break and the ongoing NCAA season, their team is composed of their team C as far as depth is concerned. They still have NBL players but these guys are players who are not important to their respective teams. Their training camp will be only 8 days long, and since these players have not played with each other, it exposes them to the Koreans and the Filipinos due to their chemsitry. 

Korea was poised to look like the strongest team in this window and I expected them to sweep all of their games with them sending their strongest possible team plus the chemistry, but like I said earlier, there were a lot of bad surprises. Ra Gun-ah, Heo Hoon (KBL MVP), Kim Jongkyu, etc.) are all out recently due to COVID and there is not enough time for them to make it. There are only 7 players left from their initial 14 man pool due to Covid. Their training camp starts tommorow and they fly to Manila in 22. You can see how bad the situation is for Korea.

Philippines is really disappointing. Tab Baldwin is gone, and the once promising direction has been hit with uncertainty. Chot Reyes is back. In terms of talent, this team is more talented than last year's roster, but talent doesn't translate to wins without a good amount of preparation (FIBA WC 2019 with PBA pros vs 2020 Olympic qualifiers with Amatuer/college players). It is very painful to see the SBP shoot themselves in the foot again and again. Well, at least they hired Coach Nenad Vucinic as an assistant and they still have a good portion of Tab's old pool (Kouame, Ramos, etc.).

India can't be underestimated. Amritpal and Princepal is in the team and they are bringing a team with decent size (6'6.3 Average height) and a mix of youth and veterans. It will be interesting to see how good their recent batch of NBA Academy products will be in the FIBA Asia level (3 in the final 12). The three teams above have their own issues and if they want to win, then this is the time for them to bring an upset but it is still very unlikely in my opinion. They just have a better chance now because of the setbacks these teams are facing. Developing their young players for long term goals and being competitive in stretches is already a W for me. They should continue to build for the future.

Prediction: I can't say much other than that India is probably losing all of their games. Korea will still bring a well-oiled team with chemistry, but their front court with Ra Gun-ah and Kim gone exposes them to NZL, PHI, and even India's bigs. Korea is losing too many players, with 7 already gone from the initial 14. Gilas, if they do retain at least Tab's defensive system, can possibly sweep this window due to the Koreans' setback and NZL preparation, plus home court advantage, but with so many new variables (reintroduction of DDO, etc.), I won't expect much from them. NZL has decent players, but their chemistry is in question. Korea has chemistry, but with a depleted roster, how far can they go? It is extremely unfortunate that all teams are experiencing setbacks. I can't see a clear winner. It all comes down to Korea and Gilas. New Zealand will be competitive but there is too little preparation for them to beat these two teams in my opinion.  

Group B
CHN
JPN
AUS
TPE

No Chinese games for this window. Will see them back in the June WC qualifier window.

Japan is under the reign of Tom Hovasse. Last window, they were badly swept by China (Average 24.5 margin in 2 games) but that is to be expected with a team under a new system (Hovasse). I expect more cohesion in this window. There are 3 NPs in their pool (Fazekas, Rossiter,Evans) so no definite NP yet. They have preparations and home court on their side, so Japan has a chance to upset the Boomers but still unlikely.

Australia is sending a weak team in terms of their overall depth, but it is still enough to sweep all of their games. The most notable players are Nick Kay, Angus Brandt, and Rhys Vague. Nick Kay will be the best player in this group, and with a frontline of Kay, Brandt, and Moller, it will be too much for the Japanese and Taiwan to handle once their NP is in the bench. One name that caught my interest was Makuach Maluach, playing well in the Finnish league, which is arguably top 20-25 European league. Yes, not that impressive of a league, but still, he produced decent numbers.

Taiwan will be debuting their new NP (William Artino). Artino has been a decent player in the European (Denmark and Romania) leagues, which are known to be mid-tier European leagues (Top 12-20), and he played well in top Mexican league. They did beat Guam without a NP last year but their roster so far has plenty of new faces. Can't say much so far, a lot of new variables.

Prediction: Australia will be the winner this window (Beats Taiwan and Japan by at least 15). Either Taiwan will surprise Japan with a competitive match (Japan will still pull off the W with a decent lead) or Japan will beat Taiwan convincingly (15 points plus).

Topic #49755 | Report this topic

chillbaby  
Two years ago

Thanks Stevy - good analysis

Reply #885242 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

Would not suprise me if Horvasse turned Japan into a top 10 team within 5 years. Has already brought in 60+ guys to look at. Give it a few years before we start to see them flourish
The new womens japan coach has not instilled the same Level of confidence and they have alien a step back, even with the best available.

Reply #885245 | Report this post

Stevy  
Two years ago

@ Weedy Slug

Japan does not have a top-10 talent pool, but I think they can produce a more solid team in the long run. Five years from now, their core of (Hachimura, Watanabe, and Baba) will be in their prime, and a decent NP will solidify them as a team that can potentially surprise teams. Unfortunately, Japan is poor at producing competent world-level bigs. In Asia alone, I can't see their local bigs above the likes of AUS, NZL, CHN, IRN, and PHI. NP can only do so much. Schafer in five years would be a decent backup 4. Their U-19 last year had some talent (Yamazaki, Kanno) and credit to them, they are now better at finding and scouting Japanese abroad. For their PG, I think Tominaga (6'2 21 year old) who is currently a NCAA division 1 level Sophomore will be a decent in the world level for them. The B league is also on the rise, and if they can continue to produce decent 3s and guards, then we can see their main core mixed with some solid role players.

Starting 5 in 5 years

PG-Tominaga
SG-Baba
SF-Yutanabe
PF-Hachimura
C- World level NP/Decent NBA player

Backup
Yamazaki-3/2
Kanno-3/2
Schafer-4/5

Plus 4 more solid locals, the heijimas, the togashis, the tanakas, etc.

Reply #885271 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

They won't be playing with bigs in the future, it’ll be super fast paced with ball movement and 3 point shooting.
I predict they will put hachimura at c, y.Watanabe at pf, Baba at sf.
H.Watanabe at back c. Have an absolute ton of elite guards coming through in the 5’10-6’4 range if you’ve watched the junior champs. Look on the extended lists and the videos put out you will see how much emphasis they put on speed, penetration.

Reply #885273 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

I don't think tominaga or tanaka will be the first choice pg options either

Reply #885275 | Report this post

Stevy  
Two years ago

@ Weedy Slug

If they go with an even smaller ball approach than what I predicted, then I can't really say much. Top world teams always have the length and mobility to defend this style. I'm not saying that they can't succeed with that approach; I could be wrong, but it will be interesting to see if it can work. Only time will tell, but even with your approach, I still think that it can be decent. With your prediction, instead of a NP at C, they can go with a NP at 2/3.

Starting 5
PG- Tominaga
SG- Yamazaki/NP
SF- Baba
PF- Watanabe
C- Rui

Backups
Kanno-3/2
Schafer-4/5
H.Watanabe-3/4/small ball 5

There are already nine main players. I didn't mean literally Tanaka (too old), but those types of B-league players. The cream of the crop can be solid role players to support these players above. I am quite high on Tominaga. He is doing well in the NCAA as a sophomore. He seems like the kind of player to complement Japan's main core and would thrive in Tom's system. 

Reply #885276 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

Hugh hogland(Watanabe) is a 6'10 Centre who’s been injured.
Like I said they have many guards few have heard of that are very very good.
It’s easy to pick out the nba guys, the ncaa and chi kara tanaka who left for the states early but I’ve watched the talent coming through in the 15-23y.o age groups in Japan. Won’t suprise now but certainly in a few years.

Reply #885278 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

Poor u19 WC finishing last but the next age groups are much more talented.

Reply #885279 | Report this post

Stevy  
Two years ago

The Korean training bubble has been cancelled. In the bubble, one player was discovered to be positive. Another setback for the Koreans. I feel like there will be a good chance that Korea will appeal to FIBA for them to play their games in June instead. 

Reply #885302 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

Phillipines are headed in the right direction for sure but still so young.
Love Ramos, Kouame and a few others. They certainly need an elite 2 to challenge and I'm not sure Clarkson will be available so early after nba finals.

Reply #885303 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Two years ago

The Boomers team has been named:

Angus Brandt - Kagawa Five Arrows (Japan)
Akoldah Gak - Illawarra Hawks
Jaylin Galloway - Sydney Kings
Nick Kay - Shimane Susanoo Magic
Makuach Maluach - Korikouvot (Finland)
Craig Moller - Wuerzburg (Germany)
Alex Mudronja - Illawarra Hawks
Emmett Naar - Illawarra Hawks
David Okwera - Melbourne United
Tyrese Proctor - NBA Global Academy
Rhys Vague - Kagawa Five Arrows (Japan)
Kyle Zunic - Perth Wildcats

Reply #885306 | Report this post

JohnnySack  
Two years ago

There's another outstanding young PG prospect playing here in Japan, too - Yuki Kawamura. He's technically still playing in the Japanese university system, but under the B league/university rules here he can play a few months every season with a B-League team. He's in his 2nd year of uni (I think) and on his 3rd B-league "secondment" (again,I think). This year playing with Yokohama in B1 he has been really impressive. He's putting up similar numbers to Togashi at a similar age in a far, far better league (defunct BJ league vs current B league). He already looks like a seasoned vet out there - and he's only 20 years old.

Reply #885308 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

If they can release Gak, why didn't they have kyrin Galloway who rarely plays over vague

Naar-Zunic-Mudronja
Proctor-Galloway
Moller-Maluach
Kay-Okwera-Vague
Brandt-Gak

Reply #885320 | Report this post

Stevy  
Two years ago

Group A Rosters

New Zealand 14 Man:

C Rob Loe 6'11 30 NZL Breakers (NBL)
F/G Ben Gold 6'10 18 Marquette (NCAA)
C Tai Wynyard 6'9 24 Taranaki Mountainairs (NZ NBL)
SF Brayden Inger 6'8 22 Cairns Taipans (NBL)
PF Taane Samuel 6'7 22 Brisbane Bullets (NBL)
F Tom Vodanovich 6'7 27 Sydney Kings (NBL)
SF Taki Fahrensohn 6'7 23 Team Ehringen Urspring (German ProA)
SF Hyrum Harris 6'6 25 Adelaide 36ers (NBL)
SG Ethan Rusbatch 6'5 29 Hawke's Bay Hawks (NZ NBL)
SG Dion Prewster 6'4 32 Melbourne United (NBL)
PG Richie Rodger 6'2 25 Otago Nuggets (NZ NBL)
PG Taylor Britt 6'2 25 Perth Wildcats (NBL)
PG Jayden Bezzant 6'2 25 Manawatu Jets (NZ NBL)
PG Joe Cook-Green 6'1 25 Canterbury Rams (NZ NBL)

Likely Starters:
Britt, Prewster, Rusbatch, Vodanovich, Loe

South Korea Final 12:

C Lee Won-seok 6'9
C Jang Jae-seok 6'8
F Yeo Jun-seok 6'7
F/C Lee Seung-hyun 6'6
F Yang Hong-seok 6'5
F Ahn Young-jun 6'5
G Lee Dae-sung 6'3
G Lee Kwan-hee 6'3
G Byun Jun-hyung 6'2
G Kim Sun-hyung 6'2
G Heo Ung 6'1
G Doo Kyung-min 6'1

Ave. Height: 6'4 1/5 (193.5 cm)

Likely Starters:
Kim S, Lee D, Yang H, Lee S, Jang J

Philippines Final 12 Prediction:

G Bolick 6'1
G 1GDL 6'0
G/F Tungcab 6'2
G/F Ramos 6'4
G/F Ravena 6'2
F Navarro 6'6
F Lopez 6'6
C Kouame 6'10
C Erram 6'8
C Rangel 6'7
F/C Williams 6'6
F Rosario 6'6

Ave. Height: 6'4 4/5 (195.15 cm)

Likely Starters:
Bolick, Ramos, Navarro, Rosario, Kouame

India 12:

C Amritpal Singh 7'0 30
C Palpreet Singh Brar 6'9 28
PF Princepal Singh 6'9 21
PF Prashant Singh Rawat 6'8 21
PF Aravind Annadurai 6'8 28
SF Pranav Prince 6'7 18
SF Manoj Belur Manjunatha 6'6 18
SG Vishesh Bhriguvanshi 6'5 30
SG Pratap Singh Sekhon 6'4 21
SG Rajeev Kumar 6'3 20
PG Muin Bek Hafeez 6'3 25
PG Arvind Kumar 6'2 21

Ave. Height: 198.9 cm (6'6.3)

Likely Starters:
Hafeez, Bhriguvanshi, Prince, P Singh, A Singh

Group B Rosters

Australia 12:

C Akoldah Gak 6'11 19 Illawara Hawks (NBL)
C Angus Brandt 6'10 32 Kagawa Five Arrows (B.League)
C Nick Kay 6'9 29 Shimane Susanoo Magic (B.League)
PF Rhys Vague 6'8 26 Kagawa Five Arrows (B.League)
PF David Okwera 6'8 17 Melbourne United (NBL)
F Craig Moller 6'8 27 Wuerzburg (Basketball Bundesliga)
G/F Makuach Maluach 6'7 23 Kori Kouvot (Korisliiga)
SG Jaylin Galloway 6'6 19 Sydney Kings (NBL)
SG Alex Mudronja 6'5 22 Illawara Hawks (NBL)
PG Tyrese Proctor 6'4 17 NBA Global Academy
PG Kyle Zunic 6'2 22 Perth Wildcats (NBL)
PG Emmett Naar 6'1 Illawara Hawks (NBL)

Average height: 199.6 cm (6'6 1/2)

Likely Starters:
Zunich, Proctor/Maluach, Moller, Kay, Brandt

Chinese-Taipei 14 Man:

C William Artino 6'11 29 T1 League
C Lin Cheng 6'8 21 P.LEAGUE
C Fan Shih-en 6'5 27 T1 League
PF Han Chieh-yu 6'5 22 NTSU
F Chiang Chun 6'4 20 Fujen University
F Lin Sin-kuan 6'4 19 NTNU
F Chou Kuei-yu 6'4 23 P.LEAGUE
F Chou Yi-hsiang 6'3 31 P.LEAGUE
F Wu Siao-jin 6'3 26 T1 League
SG Lin Tzu-wei 6'2 21 NKNU
G Wang Lu-hsiang 6'1 24 P.LEAGUE
G Pai Yao-cheng 6'0 23 Yi Shou University
PG Wei Chia-hao 6'0 22 T1 League
PG Lin Bing-sheng 5'11 25 T1 League

Ave. Height: 6'3 1/2 (191.6 cm)

Likely Starters: Can't say much, plenty of fresh faces. Only 2 people from ACQ roster. They do have a NP this time though.

Will do Japan later, need to check out some details on what they will likely do this window. @Weedy Slug Perhaps you can have a better input on Japan? Will they go for a more winning core or development?

Reply #885570 | Report this post

Anon  
Two years ago

Sean Macdonald and Bol Dendit jnr are heading to Japan to join the Boomers team replacing Makuach Maluach and Tyrese Proctor who are now unavailable to play.

Reply #885571 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

Dam, will we even beat Taipei...

Reply #885573 | Report this post

Stevy  
Two years ago

KNT will forfeit 4 games this window.

https://twitter.com/heoball/status/1495989623239344131?cxt=HHwWhoDQjdyo6cIpAAAA

Reply #885624 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Two years ago

NZ with a D grade team thump India by 55 points.

Reply #885805 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

C grade

Reply #885806 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

Asia is so bad at basketball.

Reply #885809 | Report this post

Stevy  
Two years ago

According to a Kiwi insider on another forum, this C-Grade Tall Black team has only been together for 5 days. I didn't expect them to be this cohesive, they shut down India's inside presence. None of us were close to getting it right in the prediction game. +35 was the highest and NZ destroyed them by +55. This was the A team of India with substantial practice time, Damn embarrasing performance from them.

Reply #885816 | Report this post

Mystro  
Two years ago

NZ didn't even shoot that well, they had a ton of wide open looks that didn't fall from great ball movement.
NZ's bigs were to strong for India and had a footspeed advantage, especially Tommy V who got a ton of layups after India tried to keep him off the 3 point line. I was also impressed with his leadership and communication with the youngsters in this group.

Reply #885825 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Two years ago

India looked slow and confused all game. Poor lateral movement. Physically weak. New Zealand aren't exactly world beaters but when you consider many of them have NBL experience they might as well have been the 1992 Dream Team in comparison. But to fair, India has only just started up its own "professional" (to use the term lightly) league, the UBA, and they're not experienced in international play. Their best player, Visesh (last name escapes me), had a cup of coffee with the 36ers a few years back as a training player. He's crafty and can shoot but lacks any of the physical attributes that make a player in international basketball. Probably a kick-ass social league guy though. I also believe one of the Indian players is (or was?) a development player with the NZ Breakers.

Reply #885836 | Report this post

Stevy  
Two years ago

@ Mystro

Their cohesion really surprised me considering they have been together for 5 days only. Well it just proves how good NZ's continuity is.

@ ME

Yep, India has not had a local league for 2 years now, ever since the pandemic, but the thing that bothers me is that their team has been practicing with each other since their victory against Palestine. Sure, Palestine is not really strong, but with an experienced international coach (Matic), I expected them to show promise from last year and build from it. Princepal Singh was the DP of the NZ Breakers. Hopefully a much better performance for them today against Gilas (I hope India beats them, so Tab will return lol) and maybe they can show a way better fight against NZ in their second game.

Reply #885837 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

Why did Tab Baldwin leave?

Reply #885846 | Report this post

Stevy  
Two years ago

@Perthworld

Tab basically "resigned" 3 weeks before the window due to politics from the SBP & PBA. It is hard to see the SBP repeating the same mistakes. The Epitomy of Incompetence. Imagine rehiring the coach who had a hand in the brawl. SBP said that rehiring him is "sensible".

SBP is pissed at Tab for failing to "control" his players. Most of our promising talent went abroad to have better career opportunities in the B league and other asian leagues. Basically, Tab did too well in his job and had to pay for it. It is very hard to support this team.

Where in the world can you see a coach getting fired when he is successful? Oh right, the Philippines, lol. The PBA meddling in his affairs and wanting better representation had a likely hand on him resigning as well.

Tab has not yet spoken, though. But everyone knows that he will never resign, especially after bringing Nenad to the Philippines as an assistant. It doesn't help either that Tab had made a lot of enemies in the Philippine basketball landscape. He got a lot of flak after calling Philippine coaches "tactically immature" and criticizing the PBA.

Another video in 2018

If we go back to full on PBA players plus 2 weeks of prep like in 2019 WC. We will get murdered in the World Cup again.

Gilas is so uncertain right now.

Reply #885855 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

48-22 Australia at halftime. Very team oriented performance.

Reply #885860 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

Australia poor in third quarter, bench struggled big time.

Reply #885865 | Report this post

Stevy  
Two years ago

Boomers win

98-61

I had them at +39, I was close.

Reply #885868 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

Starters looked good, bench good offensively but defensively not great.

Reply #885869 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Two years ago

The Boomers D team did about what you'd expect against Chinese Taipei despite some third quarter lapses. One great thing about the Boomers is they always come together and play as a cohesive unit, no matter what names are on the back of the jersey. It's a great culture that has been developed.

I don't see this Australian team losing to Japan. Beveridge has them right where they need to be to go undefeated in this window.

Reply #885870 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

What's with the old uniforms...

Reply #885871 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

D team, I'd say it be more like g team....

Reply #885872 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Two years ago

I was being polite. Theyre probably well off the alphabet but theyre doing the job we need them to do

Reply #885873 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

Not enough respect for the team that played. Kay a medal winner, a grader, moller having previously played for Australia might not be A team but certainly useful. Zunic looked good as well.

Reply #885876 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

Be interesting to see if the asia cup team has nba players or just nbl/overseas.

Reply #885878 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Two years ago

I respect what theyre doing and we need them to do it but they'd probably get beaten by the Cairns Taipans if they were in the NBL. But as I said, everyone who puts on the jersey applies themselves and it's awesome to see.

Reply #885887 | Report this post

Stevy  
Two years ago

Gilas will win due to talent but crap, I hope NZ murders them in their next game. Chot's coaching is an eyesore. Embarrasing. They are lucky that Korea pulled out. DDO system sucks, a well disciplined team like NZ will kill this team.

Reply #885891 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Two years ago

I just read that their first training session was Wednesday, they played pretty impressively.

Reply #885902 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Two years ago

"Boomers" vs Japan in 15 minutes

Reply #886099 | Report this post

KET  
Two years ago

Boomers at serious risk facing Japan and China twice id imagine.

This Boomers have what, 2 of their top 100 players?

Reply #886104 | Report this post

JCK98  
Two years ago

Not playing China and Japan again until June/July, should be fine if we put up a proper team during the NBL off season.

Reply #886106 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

Very nice win, Kay excellent, Naar passing, moller defensively and boards, Brandt tough and points.

Reply #886107 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Two years ago

Kay all of the above

Reply #886108 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

Would like to see more of the young guys and Galloway should probably start, maybe Macdonald too.

Reply #886110 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Two years ago

Impressive performance by the Boomers, especially when you consider they've been together for only five days. It's great to see the culture translate like this, when you have 10 of the 12 guys who have no real business in the jersey, apply themselves with all the grit and teamwork that has become synonymous with Boomers basketball. Nick Kay was a problem across the entire court and finished just a few assists shy of a triple double. Angus Brandt was too big inside for Japan. While Emmett Naar showed us all perhaps the ugliest shooting form in human history. Looks like we're going to roll into the second round of qualifications undefeated, like we should. There were some questions raised about this team's ability to get it done on paper but it looks like the job is done and all those boys can take a little piece of Boomers history with them for it

Reply #886111 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

Tbf, no team we have faced are the A or B squad, all teams seem to be testing new players.
Togashi is the only player close to the A squad and Taipei are testing a whole bunch of new kids and a naturalised

Reply #886118 | Report this post

Stevy  
Two years ago

At one point we had a 6'2 Sg at PF for us... For the love of God, bring back Tab. Midget ball will never work. I am glad we got murdered. I hope SBP goes back to their senses.

Reply #886121 | Report this post

KET  
Two years ago

How many teams make the World Cup? 32?

To be honest, should have the top 20 automatically win a spot and then have qualifiers for the last 12 spots.

It seems ridiculous to have a qualification system which ends up with the "best worst teams" making it.

Reply #886129 | Report this post

Stevy  
Two years ago

@KET

32. A good idea, but FIBA needs revenue, and people in general will want to watch games. Besides, the qualification system is not that bad for me. Europe, as it should be, gets the most spots with 12. FIBA did not even give Indonesia an automatic slot. We could clown all we want on some teams making it, but that's just part of the game. The best team will still win the Cup.

Reply #886137 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

Considering the flack this side got when originally selected they have done very well, the starters very impressive, led by bevo and assistants very nicely.

Reply #886145 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

I don't think we’ve been good at all, 3 heavily depleted teams facing each other...
This boomers team would not win a game in the real tournament.
We are lucky every team has been effected by covid and delays to the domestic season or we would be off to a poor start in the first phase of WC qualifying. 1 loss to Taipei could have put them under alot of pressure
The boomers team 6 or possibly 7 has done the job necessary though and I give them props.

Reply #886148 | Report this post

KET  
Two years ago

" This boomers team would not win a game in the real tournament."

The World Cup proper or?

In the June window the team would be completely different, it would have our NBL players.

The threat is trying not to lose any games while we have our top 90 odd players out due to NBL & NBA.

Reply #886150 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

Asia cup/WC

Reply #886151 | Report this post

SixersFan  
Two years ago

ME you didn't mention Mudronja who is second in the team in scoring

Reply #886153 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Two years ago

Equal 2nd

Reply #886155 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

You all should have put your hands up if it was so easy, Shane Heal said boomers would not beat Japan, others as well. Congratulations to all the players, job well done.

Reply #886157 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Two years ago

I agree. I enjoyed yesterday's performance and think we've done a nice job so far.
How this particular lineup would go against full strength opponents is irrelevant.

Reply #886160 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Two years ago

1 its Shane Heal. 2 We have sent a team that doesn't hit the floor in the NBL with the exception of Kay, Moller, Brandt and a lesser degree Vague. The fact Mudronja is equal second highest scorer for this squad says volumes for the standard of this Asian Cup. 3 it's great to get the wins and so comfortably but let's not kid ourselves that this is authentic international senior basketball because it is not.

Reply #886163 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

Mudronja never had problems scoring, it's his defence that’s held him back. In the end you can only beat who is in front of you. As I said the side was criticised but with a half left to go have done very well.

Reply #886166 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

#157 if you didn't know, the japan squad was originally the b team and then they decided to test players that haven’t been apart of the program.
Dislike heal but he was correct, we would have lost to japan b and they would have lost to boomers c or d.

Reply #886167 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

Horvasse is tryin to find players to go along with hachimura, Watanabe, Baba, togashi and others come WC time. Horvasse knows they have little depth and so the last few games he's tested over 25 guys.

Reply #886168 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

Good game, bevo and boomers should be happy.

Reply #886169 | Report this post

You have got to love Nick Kay. Despite the caliber of the opponent I cant recall watching anyone dominate a game like he did yesterday by just playing to the team structure using his IQ and fundamentals.

Sure players with far more individual athleticism or talent have destroyed teams of a higher standard in games that meant a lot more but I am talking about they way he did it.

Reply #886172 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Two years ago

"This boomers team would not win a game in the real tournament."

No one is expecting THIS Boomers team to win a game in the real tournament. They're a bunch of NBL Developments players plus Nick Kay. What has been impressive is their teamwork and work ethic. I don't think anyone believes that this Boomers Z team is anything close to our best possible teams so let's get real here.

"Shane Heal said boomers would not beat Japan, others as well. "

I didn't expect them to beat Japan to be fair. I thought we'd be leaving this stage 2-1.

" it's great to get the wins and so comfortably but let's not kid ourselves that this is authentic international senior basketball because it is not."

What does that even mean, 'authentic international senior basketball'? Three nations in Japan, Australia and Chinese Taipei sent their best available players to play basketball. It's international. It's senior. It's basketball. Is it particularly hight-standard play? No. But it's ticking the boxes we need ticked to make the world cup. That's the point.

The qualifying games were a necessity for us. We played them. We won them. That is what the team was put together to do and they did it. MISSION ACCOMPLISHED. Any talk of what the same guys would do against "authentic" international teams is entirely irrelevant. They performed to the standard asked of them and did so with great effort and pride. They get a pat on the back from the program for being a stepping stone towards bigger things.

Reply #886180 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Two years ago

"We are lucky every team has been effected by covid and delays to the domestic season or we would be off to a poor start in the first phase of WC qualifying. "

This comment is so out of touch. THEY'RE lucky we didn't pause our domestic season or they all would have got trounced by 50 no matter who they brought!

You cant say the Boomers didn't do well because other teams didn't have their full compliment of players and then ignore that our domestic season didn't even take a break and we took guys so far down the depth chart as to have never have been even considered for a Boomers position before.

Fact of the matter is we're not off to a poor start. We're undefeated, and the margins have been wide.

Bare in mind this team got together for their first training camp five days ago.

If you look at the talent available, all things considered they played well. Any other take is delusional.

Reply #886181 | Report this post

KET  
Two years ago

a full compliment of NBL players should do the job, getting through this phase 3-0 is fantastic.

Kay a true saviour in that respect

Reply #886182 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Two years ago

3-0 is an excellent outcome.
You da man, Nick Kay. A triple-double to complete the sweep.

Reply #886194 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Two years ago

Not authentic international basketball means just that ME. It's the best available of an extremely bad bunch. Again, the fact NBL players who aren't getting minutes who are flourishing against international teams show that the competition in this window is absolute garbage. Yes you can only beat who you are playing but come on this is pure trash. Heck Vodanovich is number 4 in scoring at 20.3ppg and number 10 in rebounding at 8rpg. Enough said.

Reply #886203 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

"Not authentic international basketball" comes to mind 90% of the time we play Asian sides.

Reply #886204 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

Brandt and Moller have played over 100 nbl games, both played in tough euro comps. They certainly helped Nick, yes the balance are bench nbl guys but some have completed four years at college so are not complete chumps.

Reply #886205 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Two years ago

Oh well Sebastian... they ticked the box. Next round probably more difficult.

Reply #886215 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:24 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754