New Zealand

Topic #49757 | Report this topic

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

Easy first round for Australia.

Reply #885286 | Report this post

Stevy  
Two years ago

Yep, since whoever finishes first is automatically in the final 8, the Boomers would be in the quarters for me, along with China in Group B. Japan will also advance if NBA guys are available in Group C. Group D is the group of death, Lebanon has talent.

Predictions:

AUS vs ?
CHN vs ?
JPN vs ?
? vs ?

Will make a better prediction after the June Window.

Reply #885287 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

Umm nz could win it...
Phillipines have also vastly improved since 2017.

Reply #885288 | Report this post

Stevy  
Two years ago

@Weedy Slug

Tall blacks are most likely for Group D. Only put a question mark because the Philippines' direction right now is uncertain with Tab gone. I can't say much yet until June if we will see the promising Gilas from last year or if it will be composed of mostly PBA players again with little preparation. Lebanon has a chance to upset either team. I really like Khayat from the Cedars, Good young 18 year old talent playing well in the French first division U-21 league.

Reply #885289 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

Probably top 20

Webster-Ili-Kenny-Cameron
Webster-Leafa-Prewster-Rusbatch
Delany-Abercrombie-Terangi-Ngatai
Fotu-Fotu-Vodanovich-Milner
Adams-Wetzell-Harrison-Salt

Hard nosed frontcourt and crafty backcourt.
I got them guaranteed top 3, possibly winning it.

Reply #885291 | Report this post

Stevy  
Two years ago

https://www.fiba.basketball/asiacup/2022/competition-system

Based on this my predictions would be for now

A
Australia
Jordan
Saudi Arabia
Indonesia

B
China
Korea
Chinese Taipei
Bahrain

C
Japan
Iran
Kazhkstan
Syria

D
New Zealand
Phillipines
Lebanon
India

Round of 16
Jordan vs Taiwan
Korea vs KSA
Iran vs Lebanon
Philippines vs KAZ

Quarterfinals
Japan vs Jordan
New Zealand vs Korea
Australia vs Iran
China vs Philippines

Semi Finals
Japan vs NZL
Australia vs ?

Third place
? vs ?

Finals

Australia vs ?

Champion

Australia likely

Reply #885294 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

I see that your from the Phillipines....

China over the Phillipines mate.

Reply #885295 | Report this post

Stevy  
Two years ago

@ Weedy Slug

It is not because im from the Philippines. I respect your opinion, but it really depends on what direction Gilas will go after Tab is gone. Tab developed this young Gilas team and they performed better than China's in the OQT, plus they had a draw in a tune up game last year. For me, there is no clear victor if Tab will be reinstated.

However, if we stray from our direction from last year and reinsert the all PBA pros and do little prep like 2 weeks, then China easily beats us by 15 plus or even routs us by 30 in the quarters.

Reply #885297 | Report this post

KET  
Two years ago

" Adams-"

That wouldn't be Steven Adams, the NBA player that hasn’t shown any interest in representing NZ at senior level and never has represent NZ at senior level?

Simmons is more likely to pull on a boomers jersey than Adams a kiwi one.

Reply #885310 | Report this post

Stevy  
Two years ago

https://fibalivestats.dcd.shared.gen...058935/bs.html

I just learned that Lebanon beat Tunisia (AfroBasket Champs) recently in the Arab Basketball Cup 2022. Six of the players in Tunisia were part of the Afrobasket Champion roster. Mejri and Roll was not part of the ream. Only Abada and El Mabrouk were the important pieces for Tunisia. Lebanon had their full roster.

Reply #885313 | Report this post

Stevy  
Two years ago

*https://fibalivestats.dcd.shared.geniussports.com/u/UAEO/2058935/bs.html

Reply #885314 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Two years ago

If Australia is able to bring all of their NBL talent, as well as guys from Japan like Brandt and Kay, it's hard to imagine them not winning the whole tournament fairly comfortably. I suspect we will see a replay of the 2017 Asia Cup

Reply #885319 | Report this post

Screeningnick  
Two years ago

Does winning the Asia cup have any bearings for the World Cup and/or Olympic qualifications?

Reply #885325 | Report this post

Stevy  
Two years ago

@ME

In the 2017 Asia Cup, only Japan somewhat made it competitive against the boomers. Four years have passed, and I must see more improvements from Asian teams against the all-NBL lineup. Ideally, they should lose competitively or win quarters against the Boomers.

If Japan has their full team, they are capable of beating this team. New Zealand can also be a challenge. Other Asian teams like Korea, China, Iran, Lebanon, and Gilas can pull off an unlikely upset if conditions are met (poor or crap game from the Boomers or injuries, really good day for them). But it's still unlikely.

For the sake of this region, they should show more improvement from the last Asia Cup. Being competitive is already a win for teams not named New Zealand and Japan. NZ and Japan should make it tough. For the sake of the Boomers' being a top 5 team, they should blow everybody out of the water with an all-NBL lineup.

So we won't see any NBA players participate in Australia?

@Screeningnick

Nope, the Asia Cup is for ranking and bragging rights. The WCQ is more important, but it is not as valuable for ranking accumulation compared to the Asia Cup. Teams qualify for the Olympics through the WC.

Reply #885326 | Report this post

KET  
Two years ago

Rankings are largely meaningless tbh.

What matters is getting it done when it counts during WC and Olympics.

Putting up rosters that are close to an F grade side means that there's really no bragging rights for anyone. Either you expect to win and you do, or you don’t win and you go well this side will never see the light of day in any competition we take seriously.

It’s a shame the NBA isn’t like the soccer leagues around the world that have international windows and players that care enough about country to play for their nation.

Reply #885360 | Report this post

Stevy  
Two years ago

@ KET

Rankings are an accumulation of past results, which is ineffective for ranking current forms of teams, in my opinion. For example, I think it is the USA, Serbia, France, and so on rather than the current standing.

The Asia Cup, on the other hand, has unquestionable bragging rights for Asian teams. Every Asian team wants this chip, but yes, I understand the sentiment of Oceania teams not being as serious. It is a shame that the previous Oceania Championships that NZ and Australia won are basically history. FIBA should find ways to improve the commitment of the Oceania teams.

As far as I know, most teams care about continental championships. For instance, although the EuroBasket has no bearing on the World Cup or Olympics, European nations always send their best teams. I think it is because of the history tied to Eurobasket and the important connection between these teams. Oceania teams don't have much enthusiasm for the Asia Cup. Maybe changing the name to Asia-Pacific Cup or Asia-Oceania Cup could be a good first step.

There is no FIBA Break in the NBA or European Leagues. Throughout the WC qualifiers, it has been Team Bs or Cs for top tier teams, which even resulted in upsets last window. I don't think the Euroleague and FIBA will have any agreement anytime soon regarding player availability on windows, those two entities have history.

https://www.eurohoops.net/en/national-teams/1275662/tony-parker-we-have-been-paying-for-the-wars-between-euroleague-and-fiba-for-years/

https://www.lawinsport.com/topics/item/an-overview-of-the-dispute-between-fiba-euroleague-is-there-an-end-in-sight?category_id=115

Reply #885364 | Report this post

Stevy  
Two years ago

Ultimately, I think we can get stronger representation from the Oceania teams only if the Asian teams themselves can get strong enough. Japan is a good start. As much as I want to see the best of the best from the boomers, as of now, it is completely unnecessary. The all-NBL Boomers are good enough to make them favorites. Only a full-force Japan and New Zealand could make it realistically exciting for them until proven otherwise. 

Reply #885365 | Report this post

Mystro  
Two years ago

KET is spot on, there's more chance of Simmons playing for Australia than Adams for NZ.
I doubt he ever takes part in the Tall Blacks program.

Reply #885369 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

Anyone who thinks nz aren't a good chance to win it are kidding themselves.

Reply #885370 | Report this post

Mystro  
Two years ago

Korea has pulled out due to Covid in the team leaving just the Phillipines, India & NZ in their group.
NZ beat India very comfortably last night.
Tom V and Rob Loe got the scoreboard going early before the youngsters took over.
Tai Wynyard looks to be in the best shape of his life after all his back issues derailed his development.

Reply #885823 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

Asia cup squad?

Exum-Dellavedova
Cotton*-Goulding-Sobey
Creek-White
Kay-Cooks
Baynes-Reath-Pinder

*Maybe

Unlikely we will see any nba guys being late July and a month before nba preseason.

Reply #892650 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

Surely Brandt would be ahead of Pinder, neither Creek or White are threes either and like Brandt moller was very good in the last qualifiers.

Reply #892652 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

Brandts ok but he wouldn't be ahead of Pinder imo.
Creek n white are combo forwards, we don’t have many options.
Broekhoff, noi we’re crap this past season.
All our wings are in the nba.

Reply #892653 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Two years ago

Pinder has an edge in athleticism and length so in a choice between the two, maybe lean towards Pinder.

I am not sure where on earth Baynes is or what he is doing basketball-wise but retirement wouldn't surprise me

Might be a bit too late for Cotton to get his citizenship before the cup

I am surprised no JLA listed

Reply #892654 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

JLA focused on nba gig + a chance for Sudan still.

Reply #892655 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Two years ago

Australia actually needs JLA as an option. At the center we have Jock landale and daylight. We managed to medal when a draw favoured us but if we're looking at the France, Serbias of the world, we're going to need something else inside.

Reply #892656 | Report this post

NBLTigers  
Two years ago

Be nice if JLA could represent Australia at the Fiba Asia Cup. I hope Australia bring in some nba players but I doubt that will happen. Exum would be nice addition since he is playing in Europe not the nba.

Reply #892657 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

NBA
6'0 Mills 88 sg/pg
6’5 Green 00 sf/sg
6’5 Thybulle 97 sf
6’7 Daniels 03 sf/pg
6’8 Giddey 02 pg/sg
6’8 Ingles 87 sf/sg
6’11 Simmons 96 pf/pg
6’11 Landale 95 c/pf

All likely to make 23’ WC and 24’ Olympics bar maybe ingles who’ll be 35 in just a few months.
He may make 2023 but highly unlikely 2024 at 37.
Mills fitness will get him to 2027 WC perhaps, Possibly a backup guard by then.

Reply #892658 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Two years ago

Spain have had a lot of 37-40 year olds in their teams in the past few years so I don't see why Joe would be highly unlikely. If he's still playing professionally I think he'll still have his hand up

Reply #892659 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Two years ago

He said after Tokyo that he was committed to Paris so whether or not he makes it there is another question but the desire is there.

Reply #892660 | Report this post

Daly  
Two years ago

Would like to see Thon Maker play for the boomers this Asia cup. He needs revenge on the Philippines.

Reply #892697 | Report this post

NBLTigers  
Two years ago

Where is even Thon Maker playing?

I haven't seen or heard any news on him. Be great if Thon Maker could sign with nbl team. Perth Wildcats would make most sense otherwise Illawarra if they can’t retain Reath. Adelaide is a possibility but can’t see him signing in any of the Melbourne teams. Breakers would be great if they have the cap space, be good to see them do better.

Reply #892701 | Report this post

Daly  
Two years ago

Thon was playing in the Gleague for the Long Island Nets.

There is a big chance he plays in the NBL next season, would love to see him in the league.

Reply #892704 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

Um, what has thon maker done to show he's at any standard that is near Australian level, certainly nothing in the last few seasons. Ended up back in g league after getting punted from Israel.

Reply #892705 | Report this post

Daly  
Two years ago

He is better than Pinder.

Reply #892707 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

Thon makes himself available for June qualifiers. Does he get chosen?

Reply #893151 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:49 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754