The Foss
Two years ago

6ers New Import to be announced this morning

Just announced on twitter by John Casey....

Topic #49773 | Report this topic

The Foss  
Two years ago

False alarm Just JC trolling... It was a new sponsor announced..

Reply #885665 | Report this post

Aussie  
Two years ago

Boti thinks it's likely to be Scotty Hopson

Reply #885666 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Two years ago

If it were Scotty Hopson I'd take more interest in the team immediately. I don't think he fit United which already had go-to guys, but in Adelaide he can be the guy he is made to be. Still a lot of hot garbage around him but Hopson is a guy that instantly makes a team better. I'll be glad to hear it's not Randle. We've been there before. We don't need to keep eating leftovers.

Reply #885667 | Report this post

Shano76  
Two years ago

Hopson would be great for us. Hope it's true. JVG gone and Hopson in, would be a good boost for the club.

Reply #885668 | Report this post

The Foss  
Two years ago

Agreed hopson would be huge for the club and moving in the right direction. Randle was on 5aa last night and confirmed that he reached out to Adelaide but they told him they already have someone lined up which is good news.

Reply #885669 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Two years ago

If we pick up Hopson as a third import I wouldn't exactly hate Randle taking Hannahs spot

Reply #885670 | Report this post

KET  
Two years ago

That sponsorship was announced the other day, not even a timely troll

SMH

Reply #885671 | Report this post

ChairmanOfTheBored  
Two years ago

Kinda agree with that take, ME. If Randle was a third import and not employed to be a stud or the go-to guy then he might be valuable.

Reply #885672 | Report this post

Shano76  
Two years ago

I agree guys, Randle as a Hannahs replacement could work. I think Withers should be replaced too, but if Hopson comes in, JVG gown, I can't see the club making three good decisions in such quick time!

Reply #885673 | Report this post

BALLER#3  
Two years ago

Can Randle even play without the go-to mentality? I would doubt it. Maybe you just unleash him as your 6th man and let him got to work for 10-15 minutes a night and ride him out if he gets hot.

Reply #885677 | Report this post

The Foss  
Two years ago

No thanks to Randle.... Exactly what this team doesn't need IMO.

Reply #885679 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Two years ago

Hopson sounds good and Randle for Hannahs would be pretty sweet he's a much better player than Dusty. You would have to think Randle could be had relatively cheap too.

Reply #885681 | Report this post

Was15  
Two years ago

Why would you bother spending more money bringing in a third imports at this stage of the season unless it almost guarantees a championship. I'd rather save the money and go all in next year

Reply #885683 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Two years ago

Randle is not NBL quality anymore

Reply #885684 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Two years ago

Why would you bother spending more money bringing in a third imports at this stage of the season unless it almost guarantees a championship. I'd rather save the money and go all in next year

Attendance boost, Randle is still quite popular and a crowd puller in Adelaide. Plus owners never 'save' the money for next season when this season is over done & dusted the owner is not going to think "well I cheaped out not getting a third import last season so this season I'll spend a bit more".

Reply #885686 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Two years ago

Obviously you go with Hopson over Randle but I originally agreed they needed another PG to either add spark off the bench, or start and send MMC to the 2.

Adelaide supposedly had some willingness to use the third import spot before Humphries went down, so am I right in saying they still have room to sign a local big man from somewhere?

Reply #885688 | Report this post

LV  
Two years ago

If it is Hopson, you need the right expectations of him

There's widespread perception he didn't fit at United. That's off the mark

I reckon Hopson has slowed down, and the role off the bench at United was perfect for him. I don't think he's still at his 19-20 level and still capable of being a top 5 NBL player. His recent G League stats would seem to support this.

No doubt he could still be a decent NBL level player, in the right situation. Just not the number 1 option on offense like he was in NZ. If you expect that from him, my bet is you'll be disappointed.

Reply #885690 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Two years ago

Not exactly I mean they can remove Humphries from the playing roster and then sign either a local or an import to replace him as they only have 2 imports signed at the moment.

When they were talking about signing a third import prior to Humphries going down it would've been at the expense of someone else on the team being removed from the playing roster like Malou or Harris.

Reply #885691 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Two years ago

I reckon Hopson has slowed down, and the role off the bench at United was perfect for him. I don't think he's still at his 19-20 level and still capable of being a top 5 NBL player. His recent G League stats would seem to support this.

No doubt he could still be a decent NBL level player, in the right situation. Just not the number 1 option on offense like he was in NZ. If you expect that from him, my bet is you'll be disappointed.

I agree entirely. It was clear watching him at United that age had caught up with him a bit and the bench role perfectly suited him. I don't think he's capable of carrying a team anymore and would probably be the 2nd or 3rd option after DJ & Bairstow.

Reply #885692 | Report this post

Was15  
Two years ago

It seems like all our imports are bench players if what is said about either Hopson or Randle is true. Not sure how many successful NBL teams have 3 imports coming off the bench

Reply #885693 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Two years ago

Who said anything about being successful?

A move like this will probably just be the difference between finishing 6th or 8th with a likely boost in attendance.

Reply #885694 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Two years ago

Firstly, the season is salvageable, 4th place is wide open. 3rd place Perth have lost 2 on the trot and face SEM again.

Secondly, you've already sunk so much into McCarron, DJ, Humphries, why waste the remaining season.

Thirdly, we scored a healthy and very productive Bairstow on the cheap (my guess) for one year. If it carries on like this he won't be cheap again AND he might go back to normal Bairstow.

Reply #885695 | Report this post

KET  
Two years ago

" 4th place is wide open."

For the 36ers though, they're lucky to get past bottom sides in home games, they’ve never produced anything resembling a team that can be top 6.

Hopson maybe turns Adelaide into a team that can ruin finals for others, but wouldn’t make Adelaide a top 4 proposition.

Optimism is great, but reality check - Adelaide are playing in a way that’d we’d be happy if we finished 7-8.

Reply #885696 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Two years ago

Optimism is great, but reality check - Adelaide are playing in a way that'd we’d be happy if we finished 7-8.

You've spent all this money on MM, DJ and IH then brought in Hopson. I don't think I'd settle for 7th or 8th.

There is talk of a play-in tournament as well.

Illawarra and Brisbane are playing awful, I think its still a decent opening to sneak into the 4.

Reply #885698 | Report this post

NP  
Two years ago

Where's this Hobson is a bench player/not up to it talk coming from?
He’s a stud import.
He’s currently averaging 10/4/3 in 20 mins.
He played a role on a star studded Melbourne United, who I think wanted him back but he signed with OKC in the NBA.
Before that he was huge at the Breakers. He’s currently playing and is in form/shape.

Reply #885699 | Report this post

SixersFan  
Two years ago

"they've never produced anything resembling a team that can be top 6."

Other than beating Melbourne and Perth.

Reply #885702 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Two years ago

And getting destroyed by Cairns to the tune of 26 points. Don't forget the first game we played against Melbourne they beat us by 20 at home yes we did bounce back to just beat them in OT a week later but Goulding shot an insane 0-16 from the field or something and we still only jagged it and Perth were coming off two rounds of Covid infections and hadn't played in a month.

Reply #885704 | Report this post

LV  
Two years ago

Hopson's coming off the bench in the G League, averaging 9.3ppg in 23 minutes, and shooting 29% from 3

Those are not the numbers of a stud NBL import.

United, Perth and SEM will make top 4, unless they get hit hard by injuries. Sydney are looking very good now, with Adams firing, DJ settled and Ira Clark signed up.

Illawarra will challenge. Brisbane may do likewise with Sobey back.

Adelaide is not likely to be anywhere near top 4, I wouldn't have thought.

Sign someone with entertainment value and build the kids up for next season, where a Humphries return could totally change things.

Reply #885713 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Two years ago

Ian Clark you might be thinking of the old GC Blaze import there, LV.

Reply #885715 | Report this post

LV  
Two years ago

Good pick up.

Reply #885723 | Report this post

LV  
Two years ago

He was good. I remember him having a serious impact on the NBL at the age of about 35 or 36. Was a fairly low ebb in NBL history but still, he could play.

Reply #885724 | Report this post

LV  
Two years ago

Just looked him up. He played professionally until the age of 44 (in Korea). Good effort

Incidentally Smith and Darden, the import duo from that great Dragons team of 2009, both still playing at 38 and 40.

Anyway, back on topic...

Reply #885725 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Two years ago

I liked Ira Clark too he wasn't young but played with great energy I think Joey Wright knew him from the Philippines league or something. Very good effort to play until mid-40's.

I'm surprised Donta Smith is still going at 38 he didn't strike me as a 'longterm baller' type when he played for the Dragons.

Reply #885727 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

I read an article on Darden a month or so back, retiring at years end, still playing very well in a very tough league.

Reply #885729 | Report this post

Yup  
Two years ago

I like Malou, he's be a handy bench player on a lot of teams

Reply #885737 | Report this post

Ben  
Two years ago

Ira Clark was one of the best 'senior' imports I'd had the enjoyment to watch on a regular basis, being a Blaze member at the time. It's a shame Australia got him at the tail end of his prime.

He struggled plenty to adjust to the officiating and often found himself on the bench for good chunks, but damn when he firing he was something to behold.

Reply #885744 | Report this post

NP  
Two years ago

Hopson is due to play today or tomorrow. If he pulls out it might indicate talks are serious. You'd have hoped he’d be available for the game Sunday

Reply #885758 | Report this post

Ballin Fan  
Two years ago

Advertiser this morning has reported that they are discussing $ with Hopson, and that Levi Randolph is plan B.

Reply #885763 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Two years ago

Good to hear Randle's voice agen.
"I love Adelaide. Wanna play there before I hang them up, unfinished business.'

Reply #885767 | Report this post

Shano76  
Two years ago

Is it correct that CJ ruled out a new import last night in radio? I didn't hear the interview but there’s people saying that they won’t be pursuing another import for this season

Reply #885789 | Report this post

Frisbee14  
Two years ago

I really don't think anyone at the 36ers tell CJ what's going on to be honest.

Reply #885792 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Two years ago

That's exactly what I was thinking. CJ would no doubt be viewed as a 'JVG man' and there are perhaps some hints around that there may have been a level of disconnect between JVG and GK.

It seemed a bit coincidental to me that JVG announced his 'resignation' effective from tomorrow only a week after he announced Humphries was out for the rest of the season. The initial press release the Sixers put out for it made no mention whatsoever of how long Humphries would be out for then 7 News announced he was out for the season and then the press release was updated to say that.

There is certainly some disconnect going on there and perhaps GK was never initially told that Humphries was still injured when he was re-signed so once JVG made the updated announcement he was done after barely playing this season maybe GK fired him?

If CJ actually did go on radio last night and said they're not looking for a new import then he's being frozen out because clearly there was a story in The Advertiser today that they're pursuing Hopson and if not successful then Levi Randolph. Concerning stuff regardless!

Reply #885794 | Report this post

Was15  
Two years ago

I heard that CH was let go by JVG due to an issue with King and Soto. JVG said you need to play them or start them a required amount and CH said do you want to win or play them that much.

If true how did CJ get away with hardly playing them?

Reply #885795 | Report this post

Jonno  
Two years ago

From the interviews ive heard CJ hasnt ruled out getting a import, just stated it wont be Hopson or Randle, basically said he would have loved to have gpt Hopson but he was doing his thing in the USA (Matt Logue reports they couldnt agree on money), he said Randle wasnt the type of player he was looking for so wont be him.

The Levi Randolph rumour was reported by Sportando a month or so ago and backed up recently by Logue that the 36ers were looking at him, be interesting to see if that is still on the cards or was that a JVG thing that CJ may not want, he is currently playing in the Eurocup putting up decent numbers, so would be a ok signing.

But I tend to agree with those who think we are more in need of a scoring point guard than a sg/sf like Randolph, either way its much needed help for the team.

Reply #885796 | Report this post

Hermann  
Two years ago

Whatever whoever whenever all I can say is that whoever needs to get the job done sooner than latter.. sixers need reinforcement.. bring moral and winnability to group who cant take a trickle.. injuries loses and jvg leaving.. he like God father to the guys.. need good news real soon...

Reply #885799 | Report this post

KET  
Two years ago

36ers are seriously painful to support

Reply #885818 | Report this post

SixersFan  
Two years ago

"36ers are seriously painful to support"

They lose you bag them
They win you bag them

I would hardly call that support

Reply #885832 | Report this post

KET  
Two years ago

Acknowledgment of reality isn't the same as lacking support.

I don’t need to reply to your previous nonsense because Zodiac did that for me by stating the obvious.

Feel free to live in an alternative world if that makes you feel better, but the results speak volumes.

Reply #885833 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

The way I see it from outside of Adelaide is that the club are not supporting the members.

Reply #885834 | Report this post

NP  
Two years ago

I'm assuming they thought they were getting Hobson hence the gag with haggle co. That didn’t happen and has totally lost me. It’s an embarrassment. We might not make the 4 with a star incoming but at least it gives us a chance to win games.
Have a look at Brisbane without Sobey. 1 player can make a huge difference like Machado last night.

Reply #885838 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Two years ago

I'm assuming they thought they were getting Hobson hence the gag with haggle co.

Please please be careful what you type, we want Hopson not Hobson (Darrington).

Reply #885841 | Report this post

NP  
Two years ago

Oh dear, my apologies

Reply #885844 | Report this post

SixersFan  
Two years ago

"I don't need to reply to your previous nonsense because Zodiac did that for me by stating the obvious."

Yes I am starting to understand yours/Zodiac/Me's pessimistic analysis

A player for the other team has a bad game = Doesn't count as a Sixers win (no matter how well they played)

A Sixers player has a bad game and the Sixers lose = the game counts as a loss.

Another team has players out and the Sixers win = It doesn't count as they had players out

Sixers lose but had players out = the game counts as a loss

Other team had just got back from COVID and Sixers win = It doesn't count other team just came back from COVID

Sixers have players out due to COVID and they lose = It counts as a loss

Reply #885866 | Report this post

KET  
Two years ago

You're pulling some "everything being equal" bullshit.

Overly simplistic to the point of just being a completely absurd analysis.

To be clear, it’s about trying to make the finals. It’s about playing in a way to have the capacity to compete for the top 4.

So trying to equate a 36ers bad game to a Melbourne United bad game isn’t the same.

Trying to equate Perth being hit by covid to 36ers being hit by covid isn’t the same.

Why?

When Melbourne shoot uncharacteristically horribly, it’s a one-off because they are first on the ladder with 11 wins. They are consistent, that’s why they’re top.

When Adelaide shoot horribly you know that’s characteristic because they’re shooting badly consistently, that’s why they’re 8th with only 5 wins.

That’s not pessimistic, that’s the fact of the situation.

When Perth get completely wiped out by covid, you know that’s not going to be a reflection of them as a team because they have 8 wins and 5 losses whilst Adelaide has 5 wins and 8 losses.

Adelaide’s inconsistent and manage to pick off a few wins in fortunate circumstances. Melbourne and Perth are consistent and happenstances a few losses like every team will do in the NBL.

To emphasize that point - we also lost to Perth by 12 and lost to Melbourne by 19 (at home!).

The results are the results - they are the last two champions whilst Adelaide were 7th the last two seasons.

They are 1st and 5th now, Adelaide are 8th.

Pessimistic analysis? No.

Objective analysis reflecting the results? Yes.

Maybe put away the whataboutism, because it’s not doing you any favours.

When a team is inconsistent and doesn’t deliver, it’s going to draw criticism - and the criticism has been fair and a reflection on the results.

Reply #885896 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:38 am, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754