GordonG
Two years ago

Melbourne v Wildcats 10 March

Just for fun, figured on starting the thread earlier than the 3rd quarter of the game :)

Should be interesting, to put it mildly.

Topic #49833 | Report this topic

Luuuc  
Two years ago

Last time we met we had no answer for JLA.

Hodgson missed that game, and will miss this one too I assume, so it'll be interesting to see how we deal with that matchup. Interesting/terrifying, that is.

Reply #886768 | Report this post

LV  
Two years ago

If Hodgson's not playing then Perth should struggle against JLA again and United are hot favorites

But it also means that game is of limited value in projecting the rest of the season

Looking at Perth's roster Hodgson is uniquely valuable.

I reckon you could take Law or Blanchfield out, and Travers, Wagstaff, Frazier could do a servicable job replacing their minutes. You've still got Cotton, the best scorer in the comp over 5+ years

But take Hodgson out, and you've got Majok Majok leading a tiny frontcourt that lacks rim protection and rebounding- two areas United dominated in the last matchup

Reply #886769 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Two years ago

Hodgson is out

Reply #886775 | Report this post

Senator11  
Two years ago

Yeah I don't know how to tackle this one...give Ollie Hayes some minutes on him and see what he can do? Either way we need to throw bodies at JLA and send him to the line as often as possible.

Reply #886778 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Two years ago

They need to swarm defensively. Can't let Melbourne execute sets as they want them. Them team rebounding will be the biggest key.

Reply #886779 | Report this post

Kas  
Two years ago

"Send him to the line as often as possible"??
Not sure this is a good tactic.
Granted his free throw percentage this season is not as good as usual - but he's not a bad free throw shooter.

Reply #886781 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Two years ago

It's going to be hard enough for guys like Majok & Wagstaff to stay out of foul trouble as it is, so I don't think burning excess fouls on JLA is wise. Possible exception for smalls sneaking in for steals/deflections.
Hopefully Ollie is in the mix to get a crack at him.

Reply #886783 | Report this post

Senator11  
Two years ago

"Not sure this is a good tactic."

As they say, 'make him earn it', better than giving up easy 2's.

Reply #886787 | Report this post

WBF  
Two years ago

The lack of OHB time is baffling to me.

Reply #886788 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Two years ago

"As they say, 'make him earn it', better than giving up easy 2's."

I'd have thought playing good defence and making him beat it would be making him earn it. If they're not good enough to do that and stay within the rules, then sure, cheating's always an option.

Reply #886789 | Report this post

LV  
Two years ago

JLA's shooting stats are weird as, I hadn't noticed

56% FG, 43% 3P, 61% FT

Very odd for a adept outside shooter to only be shooting 61%

Surely this is an anomaly based on small sample sizes, and will revert to the norm soon, and his FT %'s will start creeping up- last 2 years 77 and 78%

Reply #886790 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Two years ago

If not then maybe we'll be tempted to play hack-a-cuil after all

Reply #886791 | Report this post

S1L3NC3R83  
Two years ago

Hodgson's value to Perth is 5 fouls to use on JLA.

Thought he was useless before being a Wildcat and nothing this season has indicated differently.

Reply #886794 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

We're actually leading at quarter time, which is a rare feat under ScoMo.

Reply #886795 | Report this post

Lawndale  
Two years ago

I really wish ppl involved in the league learn how to pronounce Goulding, do they not notice everyone else says it Golding

Reply #886798 | Report this post

Scout  
Two years ago

Goulding is pronounced - flop

Reply #886799 | Report this post

Just  
Two years ago

Law hasn't had a great game in other areas, but his rebounding has been amazing.

Reply #886800 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Two years ago

I very much enjoyed Goulding completely wasting the early challenge, and then getting burned by it later on.

Beating United despite shooting 4/24 from outside the arc shows how good we were in most of the other areas. Very satisfying win.

Reply #886804 | Report this post

WBF  
Two years ago

A serving of whatever Darren Lucas is having please.

Reply #886812 | Report this post

LJ  
Two years ago

That call where Law slipped and the foul was on Goulding is one of the worst calls I've seen.

Reply #886818 | Report this post

Dave Q  
Two years ago

I thought the Jack White references in commentary a bit over the top. He is good and all, but not *that* good.

Beyond that, 1st half was fun, 2nd half the shooting fell off a cliff from both side and was a bit of a drag. 3pt shooting %ages speak to this.

JLA showed a little, but not a lot. Very surprised.

Reply #886819 | Report this post

Kas  
Two years ago

Dave Q - JLA's wife just had a baby a couple of days ago - I wasn't surprised that it wasn't his best game

Reply #886834 | Report this post

Ben  
Two years ago

I drifted in and out of watching this game whilst trying to kid wrangle.

Only now looking at the stats. Mitch Norton with a game high 26 points, Jesus Christ! When was the last time he led his team in scoring and they also won? Has this happened ever? Serious question, but good on Mitch.

Would like to have seen Hukporti play more. Release the beast!

Reply #886836 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Two years ago

Fun stat from @NBLfacts on Twitter

Michael Frazier is the first Wildcats import in franchise history not to score any points in three straight games played.

0-pts vs Tasmania (0/1FG in 17:43)

0-pts vs 36ers (0/0FG in 13:02)

0-pts vs United (0/1FG in 14:27)

#NBL22

Reply #886838 | Report this post

Senator11  
Two years ago

"If they're not good enough to do that and stay within the rules, then sure, cheating's always an option"

Cheating? Are you high? There's been some bad takes on here, but this is up there smh.

Reply #886843 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Two years ago

Well it didn't eventuate, so there's no issue.
But I guess Melbourne "cheated" with all those intentional fouls to stop the clock near the end of the game.
Disgusting lack of sportsmanship don't you think, PeterJohn?

Reply #886846 | Report this post

Big Fudge  
Two years ago

What was a great game did get spoiled by having to put up with Copeland in commentary...

Reply #886856 | Report this post

Ben  
Two years ago

Lanard is bad.

I think he's been getting a big run lately as Santa has been locked away at home with Covid.

Reply #886857 | Report this post

Dave Q  
Two years ago

@Kas Ah, that makes sense. Thanks for that, explains a great deal.

Reply #886861 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

Dave Q - JLA's wife just had a baby a couple of days ago - I wasn't surprised that it wasn't his best game

Good info. Thanks.

Reply #886865 | Report this post

Senator11  
Two years ago

I thought JLA was alright, I just don't think United used him and the other big enough, they seemed to be able to get whatever they wanted inside when given the ball.

Reply #886867 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Two years ago

Majok Majok got the better of him. Credit to him. Hukporti had a big impact against small-ball line-up.

Reply #886889 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:52 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754