Senator11
Two years ago

Best NBL Offensive Duo Ever

After watching Cotton and Law these last few games it got me thinking about the best ever scoring duo in NBL history. Cotton/Law would be in the argument, Gaze/Copeland immediately comes to mind. Who else is in the conversation?

Topic #49854 | Report this topic

Camel 31  
Two years ago

I think Ballinger and Groves at the Hawks might be most points scored.

Reply #887191 | Report this post

"I think Ballinger and Groves at the Hawks might be most points scored."

Probably by the two guys they were defending.

Reply #887193 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Two years ago

Maher/Farley for the Sixers but all-time Gaze/Copeland comfortably.

Reply #887194 | Report this post

EssenX  
Two years ago

Penney / Wilkinson.

Reply #887241 | Report this post

Bullets  
Two years ago

Longevity, clearly Gaze and Copeland.

A couple of big time scoring pairs/trios over a year or two:
North Melbourne (1988-89) Tim Dillon and Scott Fisher (both around 30ppg)
Brisbane (1990) Derek Rucker (32ppg), Andre Moore (27ppg) and Leroy Loggins (24ppg) were dynamic. Surprised they didn't win the championship that year.

Reply #887245 | Report this post

LV  
Two years ago

What's the record for

- Most ppg averaged by 2 teammates in the 40 min era

- Most points by 2 teammates in same game in 40 min era

Cotton and Law must ve come close tonight and they must be highest scoring teammates in 40 min era on season to date

All time, Gaze and Copes

Reply #887246 | Report this post

proud  
Two years ago

First thought was Bobby Locke at Geelong but maybe not if nobody else has mentioned him...

Reply #887250 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Two years ago

I remember him - though I don't recall him being a duo

Reply #887251 | Report this post

Frisbee14  
Two years ago

Double Mac's at Sydney?

Reply #887254 | Report this post

Captain88  
Two years ago

Not what was asked but ill go anyway, 2003-04 Bullets had 4 guys average more than 18. Rucker, Black, Brannen and Freeman

Reply #887255 | Report this post

Captain88  
Two years ago

Also Bradtke, Copeland and Gaze all averaging above 20 for a long time

Reply #887256 | Report this post

Cram  
Two years ago

Yeah Gaze and Copeland for sure for longevity.

But I'm genuinely curious about the highest scoring duo for a single season. Gaze-Copeland's best season together would have been their first in 1992 with Copes (28) and Gaze 33. They scored over 2000 points that season together.

Reply #887257 | Report this post

Q Anon  
Two years ago

People forget that Al Green and Leroy Loggins played together

Reply #887260 | Report this post

S1L3NC3R83  
Two years ago

Longevity Gaze and Copeland were together so long and both at such a high level.

Over shorter time frames Gaze/Simmons Gaze/Colbert were more prolific (that they all played together is crazy averaging almost 80 PPG+ between them)

The peak Gaze/Copeland year was 1993 and a 62 PPG average between them.

In 1986 Gaze/Stable averaged 70 PPG between them.

https://websites.mygameday.app/team_info.cgi?c=0-189-12322-125700-369917&a=STATS

Reply #887261 | Report this post

S1L3NC3R83  
Two years ago

*Stanley not Stable

Reply #887263 | Report this post

hoopie  
Two years ago

The Gaze & Stanley & Purchase combo were the trigger for me getting into basketball - Jeez they were fun to watch.

Reply #887264 | Report this post

Senator11  
Two years ago

Good comments all! So I think Gaze/Copeland easily has the old days covered...we should really separate it from the 40 minute era s it's a significant difference. Bryce is averaging 23ppg and Law 21ppg. Anyone know where to find PPM for players, that might show something between the era's?

Reply #887266 | Report this post

Gus3232  
Two years ago

Damn, I got pipped on the Gaze/Stanley duo, they were amazing. All time green light duo as well. That Fisher and Dillon combo were incredilbe too. Pity we only got to see Tim Dillon for two seasons, he was a hell of a player.

Reply #887268 | Report this post

3x3 Hoops  
Two years ago

Leroy Loggins & Al Green or
Gaze & Copeland or
Green & Pearce

Reply #887276 | Report this post

Peter  
Two years ago

Agree 3x3.

Another consideration was Gaze (in particular) and Copeland had plays set for them the whole game, apart from probably Bradtke and maybe a 2nd import in certain years, were the only main men with green lights. At most they had 4 scorers on given Warwick Giddey never really took a shot, but Gaze and Copeland were always 1st choice to take shots.

Green and Leroy/Pearce certainly had green lights aswell (and used them) but they were on stacked teams with more competition for shots

Reply #887278 | Report this post

Ratty Mussell  
Two years ago

GC Rollers duo of Ander Le Fluer and Mike Mitchell

Reply #887281 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Two years ago

Senator - spatial jam nbl stats has points per 36 minutes and can filter by teams, seasons, etc.

Reply #887304 | Report this post

S1L3NC3R83  
Two years ago

Considering Cotton's 23.74 PPG is possibly the highest average in the 40 minute era it would seem pretty safe that the duo of Cotton/Law with roughly a 45 PPG average would be hard to top statistically.

Even Penney/Lisch was 41ppg the year Lisch won his second MVP

Reply #887305 | Report this post

Diop Kick  
Two years ago

In 1987 James Crawford averaged 33.4 and Tiny Pinder averaged 23.5 ppg.
They dominated for a few years

Reply #887306 | Report this post

LV  
Two years ago

It's hard to believe now, but AJ Ogilvy was the other member of the Hawks big 3 that season

It was legitimately one of the greatest trios in a single season ever. Those 3 were unstoppable

Reply #887307 | Report this post

MAZ  
Two years ago

The late great Chris Williams & Kavosy Franklin were the absolute bomb.

Reply #887311 | Report this post

LV  
Two years ago

Was Kavossy Franklin 2nd top scorer there? That team had an awesome top 4, Heal and Nielsen included

Reply #887312 | Report this post

Gus3232  
Two years ago

Geeze I reckon the duo of Gaze and the late Dave Colbert would have put up some serious numbers together.

Reply #887316 | Report this post

Cram  
Two years ago

IMHO Franklin was just a good import, but nothing special. He just happened to be paired with one of the best (arguably, THE best) single season imports ever

Reply #887318 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Two years ago

S1L3NC3R83 - A lot of players averaged more points per game in the early years of NBL, when games were 40 minutes. Each of the first 5 seasons were 40 minute games, with the top scorer averaging more than 30 points per game in each of those years. Players like Rocky Smith, Cal Bruton and Michael Jones.

Reply #887322 | Report this post

S1L3NC3R83  
Two years ago

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction Peter John :)

First one I managed to pull up JC (26PPG)/Bruton (23 PPG) 49 PPG in 1982

Reply #887405 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Two years ago

Green and Loggins averaged 52.5 ppg in 1982 (40 minute games) - would be the best of the 40 minute era (Gaze never played in 40 minute NBL games)

Stanley and Gaze averaged 70.7 ppg for the Tigers in 1986 (48 minutes)

Gaze and Kapturkiewicz averaged 69.5 ppg in 1987 (48 mins)

Basically Gaze and whoever was next highest scorer for Tigers would have averaged 55+ ppg through the late 1980s, with 48 minute games

Dillon and Fisher averaged more than 60ppg for the Giants in both the seasons they played together (48 minute games)

Gaze and Copeland averaged 50+ points per game (for the Tigers) at least 4 times in the 1990s, with a peak of 58.9 in 1999

Based on longevity and consistently high ppg averages, have to give it to Gaze and Copeland.

Reply #887406 | Report this post

Cram  
Two years ago

"Gaze and Copeland averaged 50+ points per game (for the Tigers) at least 4 times in the 1990s, with a peak of 58.9 in 1999"

1999 is a bit of an asterix because its the year Gaze left midway through the season, but what about 1992?

Reply #887407 | Report this post

3x3 Hoops  
Two years ago

Please correct me if this is not correct however I thought that in 1984 Loggins and Green averaged 68 points per game between them. For me, they along with Gaze & Copeland are the best duos in the NBL but of course the Tigers duo were together for a long time so they get the chocolates

Reply #887410 | Report this post

koberulz  
Two years ago

Loggins and Green weren't teammates in 84.

Reply #887411 | Report this post

Q Anon  
Two years ago

1984 Al Green and Donny Gipson combined for 58.1 ppl with Al getting 39.5 of those

1983 Al and Leroy combined for 53.8

1982 Al and Leroy had 51.5 ppg

1985 Al and Mark Davis had 58.9 ppg

The 3 point line was introduced in 1984 so the above numbers are light on to compare.

Reply #887412 | Report this post

Q Anon  
Two years ago

Further to above Dillon and Fisher

1989 they combined for 61.5 ppg
1988 it was 60.7 ppg

Copeland Gaze

1992 61.9
1993 54.2

Reply #887415 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Two years ago

Thanks for corrections - I was scanning top 5 scorers from an old NBL Media Guide and only looked up a couple of other scores on Spatial Jam.

I'd still go with Gaze & Copeland for combined consistency and longevity. I think Dillon/Fisher ( the 'twin boulders') were offensively more potent but we didn't get to see Dillon again after 1990 (I think?).

Interesting to see how often high scoring offensive duos were actually one really high scoring offensive player and anyone else (thinking Green, Gaze, Stanley, etc.). Only a few duos where both were very high scoring over multiple seasons.

Reply #887422 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

Only a few duos where both were very high scoring over multiple seasons.

Gaze and Copeland are definitely on top under this criteria.

Interesting to see how often high scoring offensive duos were actually one really high scoring offensive player and anyone else (thinking Green, Gaze, Stanley, etc.).

This is how I feel when Gaze is joined by Copeland in the commentary booth.

Reply #887426 | Report this post

LV  
Two years ago

Copes really showed his prowess when Gaze was absemt. Same in 2001-02 after Gaze did his ankle/foot

Reply #887428 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Two years ago

Interesting to see how often high scoring offensive duos were actually one really high scoring offensive player and anyone else (thinking Green, Gaze, Stanley, etc.)

This is how I feel when Gaze is joined by Copeland in the commentary booth.

LOL! Great call.

Reply #887429 | Report this post

Q Anon  
Two years ago

Going in deeper and have found the answer

1986 Gaze and Paul Stanley had 70.7 ppg between them

Gaze at 36.9 ppg and Stanley 33.8 ppg

Reply #887430 | Report this post

LV  
Two years ago

That converts to 58.9ppg in 40 minutes

Obviously eclipses anything seen recently

But I wonder what proportion of points Gaze and Stanley scored compared to the norm. Ie the percentage, 70.7 divided by the total average points per game that year, eg the average points for a team say 115, 61.5%. Then compare that against different duos from different eras

Reply #887439 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:39 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754