LV
Two years ago

Alier Riak dies

I hadn't heard of this guy, but after reading about this, very sad

Not often a current pro or semi pro basketballer dies, can't remember many examples

Topic #49855 | Report this topic

Zodiac  
Two years ago

Sad news he was from WA and was in Melbourne at the time he was stabbed. He had signed with a semi-pro team in the NT to be coached by former Illawarra coach Matt Flinn but never got the chance to play for them.

https://www.theage.com.au/national/victoria/never-got-a-chance-basketball-player-identified-as-fatal-stabbing-victim-20220314-p5a4mn.html

In terms of active players dying in the NBA there have been guys like Drazen Petrovic, Reggie Lewis and Malik Sealy.

Reply #887283 | Report this post

Cram  
Two years ago

Conrad McCrae was one that always stuck with me.

Reply #887286 | Report this post

Cram  
Two years ago

Bobby Phills and Len Bias two other higher profile ones

Reply #887287 | Report this post

LV  
Two years ago

Sorry should've clarified I meant in Australia

I can't think of any off the top of my head

Reply #887288 | Report this post

LV  
Two years ago

Internationally, other than those mentioned, Eddie Griffin and Bison Dele were prominent although I think Dele may have retired by the time he died

Reply #887289 | Report this post

D2.0  
Two years ago

Very sad and upsetting. WTF is wrong with people.

Reply #887290 | Report this post

Gus3232  
Two years ago

In Australia, the only two I can think of are Scott Fenton (1989) and Robert Scrigni (1987)

Reply #887291 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Two years ago

LV, Bison Dele was definitely retired. He had signed a big money contract with Detroit and was viewed as a disappointment by their fans and felt so bad he retired early with years still remaining on his contract.

He loved travelling even spent time travelling around Australia bought a nice fishing boat or something took his girlfriend and brother out with him. Dele and his partner were never seen again brother came back alone then got arrested when caught using his brother's I.D. and bank accounts in Mexico or something.

Lorenzen Wright was another one from that era that died not long after retiring his g/f or wife was having an affair and got the new guy to kill Lorenzen so they could live off his life insurance. Happened about 10 years ago and she was only recently found guilty and locked up.

I forgot about Bobby Phills but left out Bias because technically he never played in the NBA.

Reply #887293 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Two years ago

As a Celtics man, Len Bias is one of those big 'what ifs', they near the top and still got the #2 pick.

Reggie Lewis was just tragic, my first thought was why did he try to play (practice). He wasn't going to win championships with the likes of Dee Brown, Kevin Gamble, and Brian Shaw but would have made the post Larry Bird years more tolerable.

Reply #887296 | Report this post

LV  
Two years ago

Len Bias and the 80s Celtics is one of the greatest "what ifs" in professional sports

Reply #887301 | Report this post

Scout  
Two years ago

Tragic re Alier Riak

Tim Boyd - Tassie Devils

Reply #887308 | Report this post

Groote  
Two years ago

Scott Fenton (Wildcats) & Tina Christie (Breakers / Lynx) back in the early 90 as comes to mind. Car crash in Perth's northern suburbs. Both had a fair bit of potential. Wildcats would go on to retire Fenton's #14

Reply #887309 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Two years ago

Alier Riak was stabbed to death in a brawl in Melbourne. It's just one of those things that makes you wonder what is going on in people's minds. The brawl would have been for something that in the scheme of things, you'd look back on and see as insignificant but now one life is gone, and another life, if the attacker is caught, is about to be changed forever. We live in a world where fighting is seen as tough or cool, but it's not. People get into scraps to prove themselves and to dominate other people but EVERY fight - EVERY FIGHT - is a life or death situation.

Reply #887313 | Report this post

radar  
Two years ago

john Wesley - Forestville eagles . mid to late eighties ( car crash ) was an absolute jet.

Reply #887314 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

Was the brawl Apex gang related?

Reply #887315 | Report this post

AngusH  
Two years ago

If you listen to talkback radio I'm sure they will suggest it was.

Reply #887319 | Report this post

Cram  
Two years ago

been reading up on 2018 clickbait Perthworld?

Reply #887321 | Report this post

Q Anon  
Two years ago

Hank Gathers the original Bankman

Reply #887323 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Two years ago

The brawl would have been for something that in the scheme of things, you'd look back on and see as insignificant but now one life is gone,

Agreed, nothing is worth a life lost.

Someone says something, its best to turn the other cheek and keep going. Even if you win a fight, you could be injured and or you need to explain to police your actions (with possible penalties )

Reply #887326 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Two years ago

I never at any point as a young fella carried a knife a lot of young ones do these days though. If you carry a knife you've got to be prepared to use it or have it turned on you which I certainly wasn't interested in.

Reply #887333 | Report this post

Downtown  
Two years ago

Scott Fenton
What a great guy and the driver who ended their lives thru utter stupidity got a slap on the wrist .

Reply #887959 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:24 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754