Reader
Two years ago

Perth championship tarnished: Smith

Story in the daily telegraph:

Smith says this is the ultimate proof that the 2020 championship will be forever tarnished.

"So, Bryce might say there is no asterisk, but Larry (Kestelman) says there is," he said.

“And so I violently agree with Larry on that.”

“All of the players on that roster in that season know the truth, they know what went down and we will always carry it as part of our DNA,” Kings chairman and owner Paul Smith told News Corp.

“The team today are focused on the current season and history means nothing, but ultimately as a team that is part of our club, the players know the history.”

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/basketball/nbl-2022-warriors-and-celtics-weigh-up-aussie-options-bryce-cotton-keeps-nba-door-open/news-story/7dba5e83a48da4a620fd9deff99e4f2c

Topic #49891 | Report this topic

Perthworld  
Two years ago

What an absolute moron.

Reply #887972 | Report this post

KET  
Two years ago

Violently agree? O.o

Reply #887973 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Two years ago

LOL
The Cats were denied the satisfaction of winning it fairly & squarely on the court when the Kings quit. The tarnish is on their actions as a team, not on the championship trophy.

Reply #887974 | Report this post

Another Anon  
Two years ago

Dude needs to seek help to let it go.

Reply #887975 | Report this post

Old Mate  
Two years ago

What a fuckwit...

Reply #887976 | Report this post

KET  
Two years ago

People are obsessed with trying to argue asterisks on things. Given the more important problem of covid, they're lucky they got to that point in the season, and shouldn’t complain that it didn’t quite get to finish the intended way.

It’s unnecessary petulance, and you’d have to be brave/stupid to assume you win a series down 2-1 heading into away territory.

Reply #887977 | Report this post

Bol  
Two years ago

^^^ All of the above ^^^

Reply #887978 | Report this post

Isaac  
Two years ago

Imagine having all that experience, power and money and yet still act like Uncle Rico over 2020.

Reply #887980 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Two years ago

This guy is an idiot the Kings chose to quit on the series down 1-2 so it was awarded to the Wildcats. In what possible way does that mean an asterisk should be affixed to it? The Kings effectively forfeited the series and one they were losing too.

Reply #887981 | Report this post

So history means nothing ......but it obviously means something.

I am violently struggling to follow his logic.

Actually Old Mate summed things up in the most appropriate technical terms.....Fuckwit.

My guess is that his money buys him friends.

Reply #887983 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Two years ago

This is probably a shrewd play by Smith, he gets to have a rant since he forgot to invalidate the Wildcats' indigenous round jersey and it drums up support and interest in the Kings.

Reply #887984 | Report this post

Crackers65  
Two years ago

The man is a clown. His violet crumbles will always find a way to lose.

Reply #887985 | Report this post

As a Hawks supported hating the Kings is in my DNA. watching this tool have meltdowns whenever they don't win just throws (very expensive) petrol onto that hatred fire.

Reply #887986 | Report this post

Reader  
Two years ago

Fan since the old snakepit, as a Hawks fan that hates Sydney you must be filthy at Julian O Brien joining that mob!

Reply #888000 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

A majority of kings players wanted to play, imports a one or two Australian players didn't. The minority won out. I’m not convinced the kings were done but elected not to play, it was well matched teams, but by not turning up, game over, Perth champions.

Reply #888001 | Report this post

Frisbee14  
Two years ago

If the King's hadn't refused to play and the league cancelled the rest of the finals and awarded the title based on Perth leading the series, there could be an argument that it was unfair. Despite being down in the series they could always come back.
And just like people say the Lakers bubble title should have an asterisk, they won the competition the way the league mandated the rules, and I'm not a Lakers fan BTW.
I suppose when you've invested a lot of money in that team and were within a healthy Boguts back of capturing the title, it would be frustrating. But the past is done, move on and worry about your current team.

Reply #888005 | Report this post

koberulz  
Two years ago

Last year is a much bigger asterisk year than 2020. I'd even argue this year is more of an asterisk year than 2020.

Reply #888006 | Report this post

Love Shaq  
Two years ago

Uncle Paulie is just trying to draw attention to himself yet again, hence the bright Hawaiian shirts. How anybody can expect to be handed anything after forfeiting is beyond me. At least he managed to sign Hawks diehard Julian O'Brian and turncoat him, so I guess he got a win there.

Reply #888007 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

My guess is that his money buys him friends.

Suck up to him enough and you'll even receive a head coaching gig.

Reply #888008 | Report this post

Anon  
Two years ago

Frisbee, they weren't within a healthy brogues back of the title. That's like saying a healthy perth roster meant they would have won the title last year. Unfortunately we can only play who is in front of us and in the condition they are in. Health and availability will forever decide champions in all sports.

Reply #888010 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

Never understood how the Tesla lady got duped into the Sydney scum family.
She is actually human...
The whole of the other Sydney staff and owners for both kings and flames are terrible people. All of them.

Reply #888011 | Report this post

LV  
Two years ago

Smith really needs to make like Else

Reply #888016 | Report this post

LV  
Two years ago

Make like Elsa*

Reply #888017 | Report this post

Downtown  
Two years ago

At least we won one game at home with no crowd and one away with a full Sydney crowd so that's not bad worthy of a championship

Reply #888027 | Report this post

Bol  
Two years ago

Here we go again!

Didn't they offer to shorten the series to get it completed earlier? Bring games forward in the hope of finishing the series before it was affected? Possible change of location of the games so only one more flight was needed in the series? Even charter flights was an option. Wildcats were willing to get all the games played but the recommendations were rejected by the kings.

Reply #888040 | Report this post

Boba Fett  
Two years ago

Crackers65 said "His violet crumbles will always find a way to lose." Perth should take note of this. Dumbest statement of the year.

Reply #888088 | Report this post

Reader  
Two years ago

https://twitter.com/psmithtse/status/1507672598926467079

Smith has said last night's big victory represents justice!

Reply #888105 | Report this post

Bol  
Two years ago

Hahaha so a 22 point win in perth is justice for losing a GF series? Ok

Reply #888117 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

Never understood how the Tesla lady got duped into the Sydney scum family.
She is actually human...
The whole of the other Sydney staff and owners for both kings and flames are terrible people. All of them.

This is a great post that needs some love - spot on about the personnel there.

They are evil, but the villains we require to make the league interesting.

Reply #888692 | Report this post

D2.0  
Two years ago

1) He's wrong

2) What does "an asterisk" even mean?
There plenty of results that we can look back on and see the reulst was directly impacted by reffing/umpiring that was at the very least "curious".
I'd say that's far more of a question mark, than an unbiased decision by the league to shorten the GF series back to 3 games (as it was previously)

3) Nobody remembers "Asterisks".
I could point out a few examples, just from my memory, of GFs (in NBL & other) where teams were robbed. Same for MVPs/ Brownlows, etc, with Individuals.
But nobody cares, and few remember.
(I can recall Adelaide being robbed, but I can't even remember what happened or even what year it was.)

4) Plus, I always figure that if you're going to say that something is "wrong," then you have to (at a bare minimum) state what you believe to be correct.
So what is he saying SHOULD have happened? Given his team refused to play on, and refused any of the alternatives?

Reply #888707 | Report this post

Ratty Mussell  
Two years ago

I wonder if Sydney had been up 2 games to 1 if Smith would be saying that their championship is tarnished ... i think not

Reply #888724 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:53 pm, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754