Scout
Two years ago

Scott Roth Coach of the Year?

Would like to hear from previous posters who have been a bit quiet lately re Roth and the Tasmanian Jackjumpers..

JJ's will not make the finals but damn Roth has been amazing with a team of Moneyball picks.

Let's hear the responses for those who were giving a shellaking re Kenyon, Perry, McVeigh, Adams, McDaniel, and Krslovic.

Yep they may not be the most talented team in the NBL; but damn they have had a great inaugural season.

Roth may lose the plot at the end of a game occasionally but he has the team playing together and getting the odd W

Topic #49892 | Report this topic

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

The clear leader

Reply #888014 | Report this post

LV  
Two years ago

COTY is a 2 horse race at this point

Reply #888015 | Report this post

Scout  
Two years ago

Looking forward to hearing from the anons.

Reply #888018 | Report this post

Mr Dizzy  
Two years ago

Yes, yes he is.

Reply #888019 | Report this post

Scout  
Two years ago

Who is the other in the race LV?

Reply #888020 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

My opinion on Tassie before the season was just the Ridculous long term contracts given out first season. Still the case with players like Bairstow, krslovic, weeks on long term deals.

Reply #888022 | Report this post

koberulz  
Two years ago

Who is the other in the race LV?
Vickerman.

Reply #888023 | Report this post

hoopie  
Two years ago

The choice will be between the coach whose team tops the ladder, and the coach who achieves the most with the least.

Tough call, but I reckon Roth should get it.

Reply #888026 | Report this post

Scout  
Two years ago

Fair call Slug, first-year team putting a team together is open to that sort of critique. No doubt you are not lonely with that type of critique.

Putting together a solid culture and team first approach type players from my perspective has been a positive. Roth could have recruited a heap of shooters but yep he recruited some on longer term contracts but hey - has there been buy in and a foundation put in place - yep.

Character first.

Thoughts on Roth and how the Jackjumpers have been in their first season??

Reply #888029 | Report this post

LV  
Two years ago

In my view Roth has been the most impressive. But given how these awards typically work, Vickerman will probably win.

Either would be a deserving winner.

Reply #888030 | Report this post

LV  
Two years ago

And of course, plenty can change with 7-8 games to go. But right now those are the only real options.

Reply #888033 | Report this post

Isaac  
Two years ago

Roth at this point.

Reply #888035 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

Vickerman probably slightly in front, his team not as stacked as usual, Roth has been superb though, I'm not ruling out the kings guy either, there on a massive streak and might not lose another game.

Reply #888039 | Report this post

Scout  
Two years ago

Spose it comes down to:

Have a stacked team and get the W's (great coach) v

Build a team from nothing with limited talent and compete for the playoffs in their first year.

Have often heard a coach looks good by the players he has......believe there should be more to it than that.

Question if Roth had the roster of the other coaches mentioned would this be a discussion?

Reply #888041 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Two years ago

Definitely Roth

Reply #888046 | Report this post

LV  
Two years ago

Don't forget United weren't even expected to make the finals at the start of the season.

Sydney, Perth, SEM and Illawarra were all $4.00 or $4.50 for the title. United were $8.50 and $9 with TAB and Sportsbet.

JLA is now in the MVP conversation. But at season's beginning, he'd started 5 games in his 72 game career (2 seasons).

They look stacked now, but most people (myself included) initially thought they weren't stacked like the other 4.

Reply #888050 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

Roth.

/thread

Reply #888051 | Report this post

Scout  
Two years ago

Serioiously LV?:

Delly

Goulding

White

Jo Lauil

Agada

Prewster

Along with Ababa

Yep they might not have been just have been stacked as opposed to full-on stacked that they are now.

So you are ok with talent making the coach the coach of the year?

Reply #888055 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Two years ago

LV is right. I didn't rate United's talent against Kings, Illawarra and SEM. I didn't have them top 4 pre-season

Reply #888059 | Report this post

Scout  
Two years ago

Many - so you didn't rate them preseason with a stacked team with now more of stacked team against a team that is playing DP's and getting Ws on a post about coach of the year?

Reply #888063 | Report this post

LV  
Two years ago

Don't forget

- JLA came off the bench last year. Yes, he won 6th MOTY but still, plenty of people win that and never become starters

- Most ppl predicted Delly would be a downgrade on McCarron

- There were serious question marks around Agada. Wasn't considered top shelf import. Did well in Israel last year but prior to that played Spanish Div 2

- White was recovering from Achilles, return date unknown

- 36 year old Newley the Sydney reject and Prewster filled out the bench, leaving most ppl unimpressed

- CG was the only real known quantity.

Like I said, I would personally pick Roth right now. But, Vickerman isn't far behind.

And if United finishes 1st, NBL history suggests he'll get it ahead of the coach of 6th. Regardless that they were picked to win the spoon.

Reply #888064 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Two years ago

I didn't have United making the Top 4 in the pre-season either the roster they've got is seriously sub-par compared to last season especially with the huge money Delly is supposedly on.

However JLA who I thought would struggle as the replacement for Landale is having a great year and they've now brought Yudai Baba back too. Prior to that the last 3-4 players on their 11 man roster are fortunate to even be in the league Newley, Barlow, Prewster, Dalton. Vickerman's done an incredible job with that roster and deserving of COTY for mine.

It goes without saying though that Scott Roth has also done an incredible job with a JJ's roster most myself included thought would be wooden spooners and they've not gotten much out of their big Aussie signing in Magnay too.

Reply #888067 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

Prewster, lmao, scout, I know you're a Roth fan but seriously,

Goulding, gun,
Delly, hasn’t had a god season for a few previously
JLA, was a bench player last season
White coming off serious injury and missed start season
Agada good player.
Roth could have signed other players, he chose his squad and has done fantastic but you can’t say he’s done better because his players are crap, the ones he chose.
As I said above, Vickerman, Roth, and the Sydney guy, Buford.

Reply #888068 | Report this post

Scout  
Two years ago

Dunkman - yep I'm a fan of Roth

Yep he could have signed other players but he signed character first to build a foundation in the first year.

I am not saying he is better because his players 'are crap' that is a crap statement.

The players he has recruited in his first year are performing waaaaaay beyond expectation - why is that?:

Kenyon should be named defensive player of the year where most would not have him on a roster

McVeigh Most Improved player of the year

Krslovic last two games have been more than valuable

Magette class act, Adams winning games

McDaniel playing great D (locked cotton down)

Perry and McDonald Development players getting game time

etc

I do have never said they are =crap players_ my point is he is getting the best out of the team and having them believe.

You called them crap players I would call them and Roth class

Reply #888071 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

General concensus was his his team was crap, he certainly got very good imports.

Reply #888077 | Report this post

Scout  
Two years ago

Dunkman - so your point is general consensus is his team is crap also believe most believed the imports were crap

I'd disagree with both and disagree with the premise you are making he has players that are not crap and imports that are not crap but have won 12 games when most expected them to win 2 because their players are crap.

What is your point?

Reply #888078 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

My point is he's a good coach and done very well but imo he hasn’t done as good as Vickerman. Roth obviously didn’t think his players were crap or he would not have selected them, what the punters think is irrelevant,he picked his players and talked up finals, if JJs don’t play finals, is he still the best coach for the season.

Reply #888082 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Two years ago

If the season finished right now my vote would go to Roth

Reply #888084 | Report this post

Scout  
Two years ago

Right so your point is :

He has not had a good a season as Melbourne United simple as that.

Of course he talked up finals would hope he did, how many games did you expect him to win?

Maybe he should have said yep I'll win 3 or 4 games maybe when I have the roster that some other teams have I'll win more????

He has won more than every pundit predicted.

I expect United to be expectations for all of it but does that mean Vickerman has been a better coach:

Nope

Reply #888085 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

Nope in your opinion, not in mine, last time I looked we are still allowed different opinions in this country. Most punters thought JJs would not be great but also United would not play finals, so both have overachieved.

Reply #888089 | Report this post

Baller  
Two years ago

Was roth ever considered for the Perth job ? It seems strange Perth just let him walk you would think he would have been a easy transition for them!

Reply #888101 | Report this post

koberulz  
Two years ago

Roth was named head coach of the JackJumpers on January 6. Gleeson departed the Wildcats in July.

Reply #888102 | Report this post

Scout  
Two years ago

The bottom line is there is a lot of the season to go and a lot can still happen with a lot of teams/coaches.

Yep Vickerman and United are achieving above expectations of pre-season, especially with the improvement of Jo Lual-Acuil, I would also rate the impact of Jack White. Vickerman's coaching can is up there.

Reply #888103 | Report this post

Green ant  
Two years ago

Damon Lowery summed it up pretty well after the Bullets v JJ's game. James Duncan is coaching a team of talented individuals, while Scott Roth is coaching a talented team.

Reply #888107 | Report this post

Hermann  
Two years ago

Absolutely.. JJ are fast coming my second favourite team.. Roth is player coach.. passion pride and team structures.. so reminds of the long gone sixer grit. So want to return.

Reply #888110 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

Goorjian's assistant is throwing his hat in the ring.

Reply #888144 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

Goorjian's assistant smashes Vickerman.

It's Roth.

Reply #888148 | Report this post

Boba Fett  
Two years ago

Gotta love the commentators not even knowing how to correctly say JJ's surname. Experts. Not.

Reply #888149 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Two years ago

"James Duncan is coaching a team of talented individuals"

Brisbane have one of the least talented rosters in the NBL, especially without Sobey.

Reply #888155 | Report this post

DennisRodmansHair  
Two years ago

Definitely, JJ's have far exceeded everyone's expectations and he has huge part to do with that. One of the most entertaining teams to watch in the comp.

Reply #888171 | Report this post

D2.0  
Two years ago

Gleeson only won the award once with the Cats, in the year he was perceived as doing more with less. That generally seems to be the criteria.

Not only is Roth a deserving winner on that basis alone, but I suspect everyone wants to seem it happen, including the league.

And he's not only done a good job with his players, he's generally been (from what I can see from this distance) a good thing for Tasmanian BBall. I think his extra "passion" was exactly what they needed to get people behind their team.

Reply #888473 | Report this post

LV  
Two years ago

There's more recent precedent for a Roth type victory than I realised- Shawn Dennis (11-17) from 7th (out of 8) in 2016, and Geordie Macleod (13-15) from 4th in 2014

Reply #888485 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:23 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754