Bullets
Two years ago

John Brown in Perth

According to The West, John Brown has just started training with the Wildcats. Surely must be a formal announcement soon?

Link

Topic #49907 | Report this topic

Diop Kick  
Two years ago

i thought it was too late for him to qualify for the finals?

Reply #888351 | Report this post

koberulz  
Two years ago

It is.

Reply #888352 | Report this post

Drexler  
Two years ago

Santamaria on overtime mentioning some clause in the NBL rules possibly special circumstances, the war, etc. I can hear the Eastern Staters rubbing salt on their vajayjays as we speak.

Reply #888353 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Two years ago

No way they can let John Brown play playoffs, thats a long established rule.

He is welcomed to play the rest of the regular season, then sub in Frazier when he is magically fit to play again.

But why would you restructure a your team for 7 games?

Reply #888355 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Two years ago

I could see the NBL allowing it due to the circumstances in this case.
It passes the fairness test for me.

Reply #888357 | Report this post

Let him play. Paul Smith's reaction would be one of my all time NBL highlights. I have been following since season one.

Reply #888358 | Report this post

Diop Kick  
Two years ago

play him and hope for a miracle??

I can already here that Sydney Kings owner blowing a gasket

Reply #888359 | Report this post

Drexler  
Two years ago

Absolutely. If the rumoured rule is true I bet it's on the same page as "Clause 4.3.2_C - If there is a global pandemic and the finals have to be called off because one team decides to quit despite it still being safe to continue then the team who is up in the series at the time (likely the Wildcats) wins."

Reply #888360 | Report this post

I agree Luuuc. Passes fairness muster with me as well. (and I hate Perth)

Reply #888361 | Report this post

Fugazi88  
Two years ago

United fan here, let him play!

Reply #888362 | Report this post

Boba Fett  
Two years ago

Just like cutting Dalton who basically played ZERO minutes with Baba. Laughable.
LK looking after his own and making the rules up in his own competition on the fly. How si their no discussion on that? Who is it that no journalist queries it?

Reply #888363 | Report this post

Anon  
Two years ago

Dalton did his acl. Baba is an injury replacement player

Reply #888365 | Report this post

Boba. United have enough games to qualify Baba under the existing rules. Dalton was out for the season beforehand anyway. Nothing to see there. (and I hate United)

Reply #888366 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Two years ago

Let him play. Paul Smith's reaction would be one of my all time NBL highlights.

Wow how did I forget about this nice side effect?

Let him play!

Reply #888367 | Report this post

Shano76  
Two years ago

How is it fair? I don't care, the 6ers are screwed but surely if he can't play the minimum number of game required, he can't be eligible?

Reply #888369 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Two years ago

Nah no way would this be acceptable. If allowed to blatantly bend the rules like this and the Wildcats go on to win the championship then it actually will have an asterisk next to it.

Reply #888375 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

It's fair because the only thing stopping him has been fibas inability to get release from Russia.
If you hadn’t noticed, many contracted in Russia are having this problem getting clearance.

Reply #888381 | Report this post

Boba Fett  
Two years ago

Sorry I fail to see how a kid like Dalton getting paid a DP's salary can be replaced by an import and the differential in salary to do so. Outrageous. Plenty to see here IMO.

Reply #888382 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Two years ago

There's no comparison between the two. Dalton was on United's 11 man roster he wasn't a DP players can be removed from the roster and a replacement signed at any point during the season and they got Yudai Baba in before the cut off point to qualify for the playoffs. Is it a like for like? No, but they could've replaced Dalton with an import if they really wanted to.

The Wildcats did not get it done in time. They've had all season to replace Frazier but got cute and tried to sign a Euroleague player from a Russian team and it didn't work out. They didn't have to try and sign an import from Russia. There's no hardship aspect to this whatsoever.

Reply #888383 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

Baba is a local...
SRP, just like Qi, Sotto or Lu

Reply #888384 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

Not acceptable and comparing him to Daltons example is laughable. Perth won the premiership a few years back bringing in Cotton, on time to qualify, this time they have missed out.

Reply #888385 | Report this post

AngusH  
Two years ago

Complete BS if this is allowed.

Reply #888386 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Two years ago

Baba is a local...
SRP, just like Qi, Sotto or Lu

Correct and United could've gone further and signed an import instead to replace Dalton. They've only got one import.

Reply #888387 | Report this post

Cram  
Two years ago

Its not like the minimum of 7 games played is some unrealistic milestone to achieve. Its a quarter of the season. I don't doubt there's been difficulties in getting it across the line but isnt that the case often? A rule is there for a reason. Or at least it should be. The NBL has shown its willing to change rules on the fly many times

Reply #888388 | Report this post

koberulz  
Two years ago

The import market is a mess at the moment, that's been well-established. Nobody wants to go overseas and risk missing out on a COVID replacement contract, so the availability is far lower than it has been.

There's every chance Perth simply couldn't find anyone who was both available and worthwhile, until the Ukraine situation suddenly put a number of players back on the market.

Given the situation, Brown absolutely should have been cleared in time for last Saturday, so I can see the argument.

Reply #888389 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Two years ago

There's every chance Perth simply couldn't find anyone who was both available and worthwhile

No there are plenty of players available imports or otherwise here in Australia and overseas. Brown is a Euroleague player they got cute swung for the fences and it didn't work it out, happens all the time.

Given the situation, Brown absolutely should have been cleared in time for last Saturday, so I can see the argument.

There is no situation. Brown had the option of staying in Russia or returning home to the US for safety reasons he tried to use his Russian release to sign with another team in another foreign country so his Russian team are withholding his FIBA clearance.

Reply #888390 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Two years ago

Brown had the option of staying in Russia or returning home to the US for safety reasons

How do you arrive at the conclusion that the only valid country to go to for safety reasons in the US?
Surely actual safety reasons for him would be defined as leaving Russia, not entering the US.

Reply #888391 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Two years ago

How do you arrive at the conclusion that the only valid country to go to for safety reasons in the US?

It's not the conclusion I arrived it but likely the one his team did. Casper Ware said as much during his 36ers 'negotiation' interview, his import teammates were granted releases from their Russian team if they returned home to the US not to go and pick up another contract somewhere else.

Reply #888392 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Two years ago

Do you think that "play here or play nowhere" is reasonable, or do you think that FIBA might think otherwise?

Reply #888393 | Report this post

Shano76  
Two years ago

I can't see anything that would make this acceptable.
Surely it won't be approved.

Reply #888395 | Report this post

Ratty Mussell  
Two years ago

If a player not being released by a team in a country thats in a middle of a war not acceptable than what is ???

Reply #888397 | Report this post

Big Fudge  
Two years ago

If it was no fault of the Cats that he didnt get here in time, then yes I can see an exception being made. Though at the same time, id rather he not play simply because I dont want to hear the cries from Cats haters throughout the NBL fan base.

Reply #888398 | Report this post

BringBackToft  
Two years ago

https://daynewsfeed.com/american-john-brown-trains-with-perth-wildcats-as-import-intrigue-goes-to-another-level/ Here he's pictured in wildcats uniform next to scomo.

Anyone can get past paywall?

Reply #888399 | Report this post

Drexler  
Two years ago

If there is a clause that allows this to go ahead, and im not saying there is one, there will be the usual forum warriors who are "all for the rules" except for this particular rule beacuse it doesnt suit them, same as when sydney quit. If its against the existing rules and clauses he shouldnt suit up, if it isnt against them let him play. Lets wait and see

Reply #888400 | Report this post

Gk82  
Two years ago

Didn't Sydney get an exemption for Louzada? Correct me I’m wrong and still couldn’t get the chip. Still burns the Sydney owner

Reply #888401 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Two years ago

Anyone can get past paywall?

Not sure what that article says but last night's news had some footage of Brown training with the team, and The West today has an article stating that the Cats haven't given up on adding him to the roster "despite the deadline for new signings ending last Saturday" (i.e. implying that they want him to be eligible for the playoffs)

I haven't heard it yet but apparently on the most recent Dribble Podcast, Mitch Norton talked about how it has been having Brown at training.

Reply #888402 | Report this post

BringBackToft  
Two years ago

I did see an article about norto mentioning him but yet again behind paywall.

I'm a cats fan and I can see both sides of the coin here... either way I’m happy. If the ruling goes against us getting him, then so be it.. if the ruling allows him to play then so be it.. I’d feel the same for any other team under these circumstances.

Reply #888403 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Two years ago

Do you think that "play here or play nowhere" is reasonable, or do you think that FIBA might think otherwise?

I think it's reasonable he freely signed a contract with a Euroleague team in Russia and likely wouldn't be getting released from that contract early if not for compassionate grounds. He doesn't have to leave, Casper didn't.

Reply #888405 | Report this post

Ballman  
Two years ago

Russia is not Spain or Germany. you can be arrested arbitrarily and jailed as simple as that. With a war going on it could lead to hostage diplomacy with Russia using US citizens as pawns.

FIBA should of allowed immediate cancellation of all russian contracts for those that wanted to. Furthermore I am not sure how these russian teams are able to pay their foreign players with access to banking services being curtailed and almost weekly more sanctions coming in.

Australias travel advice is:

"Do not travel to Russia due to the security environment and military conflict with Ukraine. If you're in Russia, leave immediately using the limited commercial options available or private means if it’s safe to do so."

So please , with the bloodshed happening in poor Ukraine dont assume that a non-Russian player should just stick it out in Russia cause you think they should while your sitting over here in safety.

Reply #888407 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Two years ago

So please , with the bloodshed happening in poor Ukraine dont assume that a non-Russian player should just stick it out in Russia cause you think they should while your sitting over here in safety.

Is this directed at me? I never said anything about him 'needing' to stay. Russia has always been dodgy plenty of players still sign there because there is very big money on offer. It's a gamble, it always was. So is stepping outside your front door every day.

What Wildcats fans want for their team is irrelevant at the end of the day he freely chose to sign with a team in Russia and they gave him the option of leaving his contract early to return to his home country, not to go and take up another contract elsewhere.

Reply #888409 | Report this post

threeball  
Two years ago

An alternative scenario: Cats know Brown cannot qualify for play-offs but there are still wins up for grabs that can secure higher seeding and home court advantage.

So Brown comes in as an injury replacement to bolster their interior defence and rebounding.

With a top two finish secured Frazier and Norton return fully healthy for the play-offs with the Wildcats in form and even on a winning streak.

Brown can also be evaluated for the next season during this period, as the team is able to see how he fits with the squad and performs in the league.

The Sydney loss blew the lid off member discord about how the club has been performing this year on and off the court - winning again has a way of quietening that chatter.

The risk to all of this of course is the impact team chemistry and changing game plans when Brown is out and Frazier returns. But maybe it's worth the risk to get back to winning?

Reply #888411 | Report this post

Gk82  
Two years ago

Wasn't Adelaide didn’t want to pay the buyout for Casper? Didn’t want to give money to Russia? It’s Putins fault, he gets blamed for everything else why not for this as well.

Not wildcats fault that it didn’t get clearance, they wouldn’t of just flown him out for no reason.

Not a good situation to be in but I’m not a fan of the 7 game thing anyway. Team should be able to change whenever they want.

Reply #888412 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Two years ago

it could lead to hostage diplomacy with Russia using US citizens as pawns.

That's not an "it could" situation, that's an "it already has" situation.
Maybe many people aren't aware of the current situation with Brittney Griner. It ordinarily would have been massive news for the past month, but has been intentionally kept low key at the request of her own legal team so as not to make things any worse for her.

Reply #888414 | Report this post

AngusH  
Two years ago

"Not a good situation to be in but I'm not a fan of the 7 game thing anyway. Team should be able to change whenever they want."

There's more than a few good reasons why this isn't a good idea, even if they don't apply in this case - mostly because it encourages teams to bring in highly-paid "mercenaries" late in the season, which I think waters down the regular season and just makes it even harder for the small market teams to compete.

In this case though, changing a rule at this stage of the game to accommodate a team's Finals push is not a good look, especially with the top 4 not set in stone, and it makes the league (once again) look like amateur hour. I don't disagree with the Didi stuff either as a Kings fan, the whole Next Stars program has been full of these last second pivots/changes that advantage teams over others since its inception.

Reply #888419 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

Wow, no compassion from many on here for players effected by a dictator and his war. These are clearly extenuating circumstances. No one wants to risk becoming the next Brittney Griner.

Reply #888421 | Report this post

Jonno  
Two years ago

Exactly, Im a 36ers fan and believe Brown should be able to play, he was here in the country ready to play with 8 games to go, the only hold up was the Russian club, under normal circumstances he would have likely been cleared and played last weekend.

Anyone who thinks its easy to stay in Russia, google Brit Griner and see what shes going through, sure she had some contraban in her luggage, but under normal circumstances she wouldnt likely be in the situation she is. I hope the USA manage to get her home safely very very soon.

Sure Casper Ware chose to use the cirucmstances to cash in and move to the bigger club, but it doesnt mean that the reasons that others had to get out were not valid.

Reply #888424 | Report this post

AngusH  
Two years ago

Compassion? Is Brown still stuck in Russia?

Reply #888429 | Report this post

Kev  
Two years ago

Can't remember all our players suddenly needing to play elsewhere when we were at war in Iraq and the Ghan.

Reply #888432 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

No, but he needs to work.

Reply #888433 | Report this post

AngusH  
Two years ago

I'm sure he can find work if it's that desperate. Sorry, I have a lot of compassion for those impacted by the Russia-Ukraine conflict, but that's a real stretch.

Reply #888434 | Report this post

Gk82  
Two years ago

Is Perth at fault? They tried and did it before the 7 game deadline then it's not the fault of the club.

It’s fiba and probably the NBL could’ve put a statement something like Perth have applied the proper paperwork and are waiting for clearance and as it’s not the club’s fault we will consider all options.

Then everyone would probably see it different

Reply #888435 | Report this post

NBLTigers  
Two years ago

No way John Brown should be allowed to qualify for the nbl finals with the Perth Wildcats. If Fiba have not signed the paper in time then Brown can't play. If the NBL change the rules for this situation then it’s a complete slap in the face to the other NBL teams who were considering another import.

Perth is the NBL’s little money maker. I would not be surprised even if they let Brown play. Let’s go back to the 2020 NBL Finals. NBL just gave Perth the Championship. Would of been nicer if they told both teams it would be a best-of-3 series rather then a best-of-5 series. Yes, covid was new but they should of just manned up and cancelled the finals series. Dog move by the nbl and always will be.

Reply #888436 | Report this post

Big Fudge  
Two years ago

NBLTigers sounding like a true sourpuss.. Wildcats wanted to continue the Grand Final series so why should they be penalised for Sydney pulling the pin?

As for John Brown, if its not the Cats fault the approval didnt come through in time due to situations out of their control then I dont have a problem with them getting Brown... in saying that I hope they dont get him, because its very tiring reading posts like yours.

Reply #888437 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Two years ago

Would of been nicer if they told both teams it would be a best-of-3 series rather then a best-of-5 series.

The league offered a best of 3 after Game 2, the Wildcats were OK with it, Sydney said No. Sydney also said No to fast tracking games 4 and 5, and chartered flights.

What other options were available with covid looming?

Reply #888439 | Report this post

Big Fudge  
Two years ago

LoveBroker isnt it obvious... give Sydney the championship

Reply #888440 | Report this post

AngusH  
Two years ago

Don't know what the Kings-Cats final has to do with anything - Perth won, end of story. None of the other stuff matters anymore.

Reply #888441 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

Russia is at war, not in Russia though, the war is in the Ukraine. Imports from Ukraine were given permission to join other clubs, Casper went from one Russian club to another. Lots of imports still playing in Russia. If Perth want Brown they should've gone in as soon as war started, they didn’t, wasted time, flew him in for medical and test, again taking time and now blame everyone else because they missed the deadline. I can understand the nbl wanting Perth in GF, it’s money but rules are rules, you blew it, it happens sometimes.

Reply #888442 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

I'm sure he can find work if it's that desperate.

Not in basketball as the transfer window is closed.

Reply #888444 | Report this post

Anon  
Two years ago

It seems that perth supporters think its ok for Perth break the rules its ok, but when Melbourne had Wesley and Sydney had Didi there was uproar.

Reply #888445 | Report this post

Diop Kick  
Two years ago

i think i want it to happen now just for the butthurt.

Reply #888446 | Report this post

AngusH  
Two years ago

"Not in basketball as the transfer window is closed."

Agree with that, yes. He's been earning good money playing in one of the top leagues in the world, I'd like to think he's not living paycheque to paycheque. I feel genuinely bad for all international players caught up in this, however that doesn't mean I think we should stick them on NBL rosters so they don't "go hungry". Can't compare their situation to, say, Ukrainians inside Ukraine.

Reply #888447 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

Some euro countries are still signing players, there leagues play longer.

Reply #888448 | Report this post

AngusH  
Two years ago

There you go, maybe we can pass a hat around and see if we can buy him a plane ticket to one of those countries so he can play basketball in a league where he'd still qualify for the Finals or maybe even help a team avoid relegation. What a good news story that would be to come out of this horrible conflict!

Reply #888450 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

A Kings fan, whose team are in contention, feeling super threatened over this possible signing. Predictable reaction.

Reply #888456 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

i think i want it to happen now just for the butthurt.

Be careful, they'll be throwing around them asterisks at us again.

Reply #888457 | Report this post

AngusH  
Two years ago

Nope, not that at all. Just think it's amateur hour changing rules on the fly for one team's benefit. Would feel exactly the same if it were the Kings doing this right now - I think I've been pretty consistent on this here on this forum over the years.

Reply #888458 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

Some euro countries are still signing players, there leagues play longer.

EuroLeague transfer window closed on 23rd February unless they reopened it due to the war situation. If so then how dare they offer a concession, what cheaters!

Reply #888459 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

Spain, Germany still signing, other countries as well. Andora Spain signed a guard yesterday. Chemnitz div one Germany signed a five man two days ago. There are jobs still there. I don't want kings to win even though I think they are favourites, it’s just not right that Perth get to sign after the cut off. Brown and Perth should have known.

Reply #888461 | Report this post

NBLTigers  
Two years ago

Europe competitions are completely different. They have more games and different competitions. Not sure what's going on with their transfer window?

Reply #888462 | Report this post

Reader  
Two years ago

"Brown is a Euroleague player they got cute swung for the fences and it didn't work it out, happens all the time."

I actually can't remember any instances where the player was in the country with 9 games to go and they couldn't get the clearance.

Reply #888463 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Two years ago

I actually can't remember any instances where the player was in the country with 9 games to go and they couldn't get the clearance.

I was talking about negotiations with a prospective import falling through for whatever reason.

Reply #888468 | Report this post

D2.0  
Two years ago

If the argument, legitimately and factually, is
"He was available, ready, and able to play, but couldn't because Vladimir Putin is a Cunt"
then that is fair grounds for some leeway.

Keep in mind that whilst I'm not suggesting it would get to this point, in Australia professional sports bodies are very conscious of Restraint of Trade issues.

Reply #888469 | Report this post

Drexler  
Two years ago

"It is possible"

https://www.espn.com.au/nbl/story/_/id/33635689/nbl-possible-perth-wildcats-chance-signing-import-john-brown-iii

Reply #888482 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

Nothing to do with Putin, it's FIBA and Perth not acting quick enough. I watch basketball from all around the globe, I watch nearly every nbl game, if this is allowed I’m just going to watch all others and the the nbl can go suck.

Reply #888486 | Report this post

LV  
Two years ago

Totally guessing and reading between the lines, my guess is that if Perth gets the submission in by Sunday/Monday allowing him to play against United on Monday, the NBL will likely approve it.

Whether that's fair is another question. But that's what I'd predict.

If they get the submission in by Tues/Thur- with 5 games left including Thurs 7 April- it will be a lineball decision for the NBL and could go either way

After Thursday 7th, Perth only has 4 games left and the next game Thurs 14 Apr- only a couple of weeks before finals- so the NBL would put a definitive line through the possibility after Thursday 7th.

Reply #888487 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

Jeremiah Martin, cut by breakers this season has just signed in Gottingen top division in Germany, Brown had options, took the wrong one. Now most leagues are closing.

Reply #888491 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Two years ago

You've done well to miss the point so many times in this thread

Reply #888496 | Report this post

Ratty Mussell  
Two years ago

Dunkman has lost all logic in this matter

Reply #888498 | Report this post

Drexler  
Two years ago

Indeed.

NBL comish - it is possible

Hoops forum contributor - no it isnt

Reply #888499 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

Imo the point is he missed the deadline, was his fault,Perths or fiba don't come into it. He didn’t want to stay in Russia, other players stayed, he took a chance for a better country and didn’t make the qualifying round, end story.

Reply #888503 | Report this post

Drexler  
Two years ago

At this point you are running on wilful ignorance or pure delusion. The NBL comish indicates it is possible. You may not want that be the case but reality is a thing, you should check it out sometime.

Reply #888505 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

Nbl bend the rules, make them up as they go. The war is not in Russia, it's in the Ukraine.

Reply #888506 | Report this post

Q Anon  
Two years ago

Commissioner can make what ever decision he likes whenever he likes

This sets a dangerous precedent well outside the intent of the rules

The rule exists to stop exactly this situation where a team can upgrade with the finals in sight.

You could spend a seasons worth of import money in 1 month plus finals if this is allowed to go through, a very dangerous precedent.

Reply #888507 | Report this post

Cram  
Two years ago

I dont think anyone is arguming that it CANT happen because of the rules in place but that it shouldnt. I think we all know by now the NBL leadership just make things up on the spot.

Reply #888508 | Report this post

AngusH  
Two years ago

Yep, of course it CAN happen. It's a simple as the league signing off on it. The issue is it SHOULDN'T happen.

Reply #888509 | Report this post

Boba Fett  
Two years ago

It may be against the spirit of the rules but LK makes his own rules for his own competition.

Reply #888511 | Report this post

Gus3232  
Two years ago

Looking at this from another angle. I would love it for an opposition team to change an import 3, 2, 1 week(s) out from the playoffs. Only my opinon but I think the potential damage to team morale, chemistry etc is a huge risk. The chances of a new big minute player fitting in seamlessly is next to bugger all.

For the record, as a 35+ year Wildcats tragic, I don't think it should be allowed but as we all know, the NBL is nothing if not inconsistent with rule changes on the fly.

Reply #888512 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Two years ago

It may be against the spirit of the rules but LK makes his own rules for his own competition.

The point is though is that it's not against the spirit of the rules, it's against the letter of the rules (loophole clauses aside).

The intent of the rules is to not let teams load up in the last quarter of the season, which I think we pretty much all agree is a worthwhile intent.
The Cats did what they would typically need to do in order to be compliant with those rules, in this case with an extra game to spare above the limit.
The only sticking point to it all happening normally has been the actions of his Russian team in refusing to sign off on his clearance.

If they have acted improperly then I think the Cats have every right to apply for an exemption and IMO would have a good chance of getting one.
If they are perfectly within their rights not to grant the release then the Cats have no real case, and presumably also won't be able to sign him purely as a regular season injury replacement either.

Reply #888514 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

The up roar if United or Sydney tried this would be extraordinary, the red army would go mad.

Reply #888516 | Report this post

Diop Kick  
Two years ago

i think this thread is shown the uproar will be there for any playoff team that tries it.

Reply #888517 | Report this post

Reader  
Two years ago

As long as the NBL is clear on its reasoning for allowing an exception, then I don't see it being a big deal that is going to open up a can of worms. There may be extenuating circumstances in this instance due to the war.

Reply #888521 | Report this post

Ballman  
Two years ago

I think the fact we still havent heard anything with the weekend apon us I would say its not likely to happen.

Reply #888523 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

As just told us on the jump, players still signing in Russia, I can understand his Russian side are furious. As usual contracts not worth a squirt.

Reply #888535 | Report this post

D2.0  
Two years ago

Nothing to do with Putin
You clearly haven't been watching the news

if this is allowed I'm just going to watch all others and the the nbl can go suck.
Bye, don't forget to write.

Reply #888536 | Report this post

D2.0  
Two years ago

Read what Jezza said. He's all but greenlit the proposal, but as he said, at that point they still don't have a clearance letter from FIBA.

Reply #888537 | Report this post

D2.0  
Two years ago

The intent of the rules is to not let teams load up in the last quarter of the season,
well technically they can, it's "less than a quarter" that's the problem

which I think we pretty much all agree is a worthwhile intent.
actually, TBH, provided there are appropriate salary repercussions in place, I don't mind the idea of shortening the qualifying period.
Maybe cut the squad limit by one, with it increasing by one for the last quarter and finals.

Provided they were ALL able to do it, I don't mind the idea of teams ontrack for finals bringing in some higher-level talent.
Maybe guys who have hung around the G-League hoping for short-term gigs, but who's hopes are effectively over, etc.
Not saying it's a perfectly formed idea, just that I don't mind the idea of ALL applicable teams getting an extra lift for finals.

(Main difficulty would be for those teams sitting outside the top-4, but still in contention, and whether they pull the trigger)
(all of which isn't relevant to Brown's situation.

Reply #888539 | Report this post

Mystro  
Two years ago

It seems Browns Russian team have let him leave to go home to the States and not sign on with another team in another league so there for he's technically not available as he isn't a free agent.

Its a weird one as it's a contract dispute with a current employer with a war involved and a team trying to sign a player with a small window attached.

How would the Wildcats feel for example, if Bryce Cotton said he wanted to go home because of how the Australian Government or W/A were handling the Covid-19 pandemic and then all of a sudden popped up in Europe trying to sign with another team?

Regardless of everyone's opinions, without FIBA clearance he isn't playing.

Reply #888574 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

Why didn't Perth bring 2 guys over if they knew he possibly wouldn’t get clearance.

United management was smart, Perth were not.

Reply #888575 | Report this post

Boba Fett  
Two years ago

Ask CJ how leaving to play in Europe works!

Reply #888581 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

I can't see fiba giving approval if he’s contracted and his club not letting him go. Perth don’t normally make these type of mistakes. If fiba approve breaking the contract you would think Browns club would sue fiba for compensation.

Reply #888582 | Report this post

Outlook  
Two years ago

I see Brown signing for next season when Cotton gets his citizenship. He'll play the 4 while Mooney will come back at the 5.

Reply #888592 | Report this post

D2.0  
Two years ago

How would the Wildcats feel for example, if Bryce Cotton said he wanted to go home because of how the Australian Government or W/A were handling the Covid-19 pandemic and then all of a sudden popped up in Europe trying to sign with another team?
oh, you mean like releasing players to play in Europe and they end up signing with Melbourne instead?
Or being the only team to actually lose an opt-out player because of the covid reductions?

Reply #888713 | Report this post

koberulz  
Two years ago

Officially not happening.

Reply #888897 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Two years ago

NBL Statement on John Brown III

Late yesterday, the Hungry Jack's NBL received an application from the Perth Wildcats for the League to exercise its discretion to waive the requirements of Rule 5.1 of the Salary and Contracting Rules (SCR) in relation to the registration of John Brown III on the basis the issue of his Letter of Clearance by FIBA had been delayed as a result of exceptional circumstances.

The rule stipulates a club cannot register a new player if it has played more than 75% of its regular season games. Perth exceeded 75% when it played its 22nd regular season game on Saturday, March 26, against the Sydney Kings at RAC Arena.

A request to register a player beyond this deadline may be made in exceptional circumstances.

The NBL made enquiries of its governing bodies, Basketball Australia and FIBA, and determined the processes associated with the issue of Brown’s Letter of Clearance, although complicated by a dispute with Brown’s former club, were undertaken in the time frames published by each of them and as such, the club could have reasonably foreseen Brown’s Letter of Clearance may not have been issued in time for the game on March 26.

Accordingly the NBL has denied the application and will not register Brown to play this season.

"Although we would have loved to have seen John Brown III in the NBL, the integrity of the competition must come first," NBL Commissioner, Jeremy Loeliger, stated.

“These rules exist to ensure that no team can gain a competitive advantage over its competitors and, while the Wildcats have done absolutely nothing wrong, they were not able to procure Brown’s letter of clearance from FIBA in time for us to register him under our rules.”

https://nbl.com.au/news/nbl-statement-on-john-brown-iii

Reply #888899 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

PG(I)-Norton-Zunic
Cotton-SG NS or Local or SRP-SG(dp)
Travers-Blanchfield-Shervill
Brown(i)-PF NS or Local
Mooney(i)-Majok-HayesBrown(dp)

To go possibly
White
Clarke
Frazier
Law - doubtful he stays
Purchase
Wagstaff
Hodgson

Reply #888902 | Report this post

Ballman  
Two years ago

Its a bit of an embarrassment the whole thing. How the wildcats couldn't go find someone in the G-league or friendly nation to bring in - surely must have been viewed as a risk. Melbourne got Baba in no-time. Even Baba for us would have been good to shore up back court depth.

Game result:
Putin 1 / Wildcats 0

Reply #888903 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

The right decision, well done nbl. The club got it wrong, simple as.

Reply #888904 | Report this post

Anon  
Two years ago

So it would have been one game after the deadline... seems integrity is only important if the names not didi... bit of a joke.

May as well remove the clause as if a war isn't going to see it used then what will?

Reply #888905 | Report this post

koberulz  
Two years ago

So it would have been one game after the deadline
Two games.

Reply #888906 | Report this post

Anon  
Two years ago

Yesterday afternoon was before united game. One game

Reply #888907 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

GM Danny Mills brings us ScoMo and now this non-signing. Not a great first season.

Reply #888908 | Report this post

Another Anon  
Two years ago

And who bought in Danny Mills?
All roads lead to the same place......

Reply #888909 | Report this post

NBLTigers  
Two years ago

Glad Wildcats failed to sign John Brown. NBL has rules for a reason. Well done JL for stepping up!

Reply #888913 | Report this post

Ballman  
Two years ago

Rules for when its not Melbourne or Sydney who have both had exemption before. Whats the point of an exemption clause if a brutal war doesnt count as an exemption.

Reply #888916 | Report this post

koberulz  
Two years ago

It's pretty clear from the NBL's statement that the exemption would apply if there was some sort of unreasonable delay with the clearance. There was none in this case.

Reply #888918 | Report this post

Ballman  
Two years ago

why was Didi so special ?

https://twitter.com/i/status/1511193493959753728

Reply #888919 | Report this post

koberulz  
Two years ago

Didi wasn't granted an exemption, he played the full season.

Reply #888920 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

Just signed in Italy. How did Perth get it so wrong? Currently third in the Italian top division.

Reply #889409 | Report this post

koberulz  
Two years ago

You're blaming Perth for him signing in Italy?

Reply #889413 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

I'm blaming Perth for not getting their act together quick enough.

Reply #889418 | Report this post

koberulz  
Two years ago

You're right, they should have signed him before he was available.

Reply #889430 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

He was in Perth for at least two weeks doing work outs, they wanted there cake and eat it too. Should have signed as soon as available, the Italian side had no problems.

Reply #889433 | Report this post

koberulz  
Two years ago

Do you think they flew him to Perth and then just didn't do anything to sign him? They were working on getting him cleared for that two weeks. They finally did get him cleared, which meant the Italian team didn't have to go through that process.

Reply #889436 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:41 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754