LV
Two years ago

United vs Hawks, 2/4

Rematch time

Last week I tipped the Hawks and the game played out as I expected- United made a few careless turnovers and didn't quite look switched on.

Meanwhile the Hawks played with focus at both ends. Defensively energised and making every United shot a tough one, but then playing with freedom and confidence at the offensive end. Jacob Jackomas said at half time that he was only coaching defense and maybe that helped, cos Harvey and co just got going and the shots kept dropping.

This week I'm tipping United to turn the tables, matching the Hawks intensity and hopefully getting hot themselves.

Topic #49913 | Report this topic

LV  
Two years ago

No Harvey?

If United don't make a statement and win by double figures I'll be disappointed

Reply #888601 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

United by two, should be a good game, looking forward to it.

Reply #888602 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

Hawks can't keep shooting at this percentage, Reath won the early battle against JLA.

Reply #888607 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

Naar flopped, Mayberry horrible referee. Lot big guns on both sides, Z White got great vertical leap, good player.

Reply #888608 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

Good game. Heal as a commentator just talks to much.

Reply #888616 | Report this post

LV  
Two years ago

Absolutely massive win

Rathan Mayes was huge, Cleveland good too. They are loaded with weapons

I have seen less NBL this year than I've seen in many many seasons, so it's hard to be super confident, but I will say this- the issues I've identified with United all year haven't been resolved. They do it by committee, but in the playoffs you need go-to guys- eg last year Hopson, CG, Landale, JLA- this year we have basically JLA and CG. Agada is a guy who scores in transition but hasnt shown he can break open a defense in the half court

Now, United's defense has been awesome for most of the season. They have elite defenders everywhere. So earlier in the season, the hope was their defense would be enough to win the title.

But, and again I haven't seen a lot of non United games, but the sense I get is other teams are finding their rhythm (which takes a while with so many changes each off season), Hawks are going, Kings have added Clark and Adams is killing it- so these teams are getting much harder to slow down, and I'm not sure United can expect to keep opponents to 75-80 as we were in early season matchups. I think for United to win the title they really need either JLA or CG to step up and have a massive playoff series, averaging 20+. Or Agada needs to find that extra gear offensively which he's shown only very sporadically.

Not suggesting United can't do it, but I've been saying for quite a while I had Perth slightly ahead of them. Right now I'd add Illawarra, maybe Sydney too, putting United 3rd or 4th in line.

Looking forward to this playoff though. If today was a preview, bring it on

Reply #888619 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

Missed some easy baskets and made some poor turnovers through out the game United and the hawks pounced. Not certain why delly wasn't playing down the stretch.

Hawks and kings two most stacked teams and should fight it out. At least the nbl won’t have to contend with the afl.

Good tough game, some refs calls both ways was, shaking my head, diabolical.

Reply #888623 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:40 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754