Classified
Two years ago

Perth or Tasmania for 4th place?

Its a close race for the final position for the NBL playoffs, who do you think will clinch the 4th position?

Topic #49977 | Report this topic

AngusH  
Two years ago

The ball is in Perth's Court. United are resting Delly and Barlow, and I wouldn't be surprised if their bench plays most of the game, which means a very possible Tassie win. Perth should lose to the Hawks who still have a shot at the #2 spot with a win tonight and on Sunday vs the Kings, but the SEM game will be huge. SEM will have nothing to play for EXCEPT possibly knocking Perth out, which I think will be the motivation they need for a big game. Still, my guess is the Wildcats snag the SEM game and the streak continues, as much as I'd like Tassie to make it.

Reply #890061 | Report this post

NBLTigers  
Two years ago

It's in Perth’s hand but not sure why Melbourne United are resting Delly with a dental procedure??

If Melbourne go the cinderella story then they will lose the series. It’s on them now.

Reply #890062 | Report this post

Classified  
Two years ago

In my opinion, it basically comes down to the next couple games

Reply #890064 | Report this post

Big Fudge  
Two years ago

Cats will beat the Hawks tonight and get in the top 4

Reply #890065 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Two years ago

Hawks will probably beat Perth, United will probably lay down against Tassie but no way can I see SEM beating Perth in Perth. SEM always talk a big game but don't have the ticker and if Perth need to beat them to get in and continue their streak they'll likely wallop them for good measure.

Reply #890069 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

No law makes Perth v sem interesting

Reply #890070 | Report this post

Classified  
Two years ago

i dont know if Perth will choke 2 consecutive games & miss out. Theyll probably win one of the two games, clinching them finals. Its gonna be close, thats for sure.

Reply #890071 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Two years ago

I don't think Perth losing both games would be choking without Vic Law. This isn't the Gleeson-led Wildcats that knew 100-billion ways to free up Bryce Cotton. This is a different team with a different coach. I think Perth would struggle with Illawarra and the result could go either way against SEM. I wouldn't want to bet against Perth making the finals again but I'd probably prefer the match up and stakes the Jack Jumpers face over that of the Wildcats right now.

Reply #890076 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

Either way it's a win-win situation.

Wildcats with one win this weekend qualify for the playoffs and (less importantly) the streak continues.

If not then the enemy (JackJumpers) of my enemy (ScoMo) is my friend applies. Two birds, one stone with there being no way ScoMo is retained if finals are missed out on and we get to see a Tasmanian Cinderella story continue.

Also if the Cats lose tonight it cock teases the haters for at least another day if not two. Keep that going.

No matter what it's all good.

Reply #890079 | Report this post

Classified  
Two years ago

And by the way, it doesn't matter if Perth miss finals. They have a streak that probably wont be beaten in many years anyway.

Reply #890081 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

And by the way, it doesn't matter if Perth miss finals. They have a streak that probably wont be beaten in many years anyway.

Exactly.

Reply #890083 | Report this post

D2.0  
Two years ago

Miracles do happen, and so for once i completely Agree with Zodiac.
SEM talk big, but their season is over and they know it.
Imports are already lining up their next contracts, and nobody wants to get injured.

If the Streak ins on the line, the Perth crowd will be beyond feral, and forget the coach, no PLAYER wants to be on the team that ended the Streak.
You think Jesse wants to end his Career as the Captain that ended the streak?

There's also the problem of image.
It's all very well to SAY (and I've said it myself) that United will Tank to try and push the Cats out...
But firstly that's not a good look for them or the league.
Secondly, last thing they want to do is give Roth and the JJs a confidence boost before their semi,
And thirdly, at this point they would probably rather face the Cats sans Law, and enjoy the thrill of knocking them off.

Reply #890084 | Report this post

koberulz  
Two years ago

It's all very well to SAY (and I've said it myself) that United will Tank to try and push the Cats out...
Who (other than you) is saying that? Why on earth would Melbourne do that? What the hell are you talking about?

Reply #890091 | Report this post

AngusH  
Two years ago

United won't lose on purpose but it will be a light cardio game for Goulding and JLA regardless of the scoreline. I think United would still rather play Tassie than a Law-less Perth, but not to the extent that they would throw a game on purpose.

Reply #890099 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

Perth will be better without Law, hopefully the team orientation comes first now.

Reply #890111 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Two years ago

I'm tipping if United hav e a choice they would rather fly to Hobart for game 2 than fly to Perth

Reply #890116 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Two years ago

I don't think United would particularly care whether they face a Law-less Perth or the JJs. Neither should bother them. (Maybe they'd prefer the tougher team that might at least take the series to 4 games just so they're not waiting around for too long for the finals after sweeping their semis :p )

JJs have a lot more to play for that pressure doesn't necessarily work in their favour. United not exactly short on talent even if they're resting a couple.
Ditto in the Perth-SEM game. Funny things can happen when a team has nothing to lose.

I expect the Hawks to win tonight but I can't pick either of the other 2 Cats/JJs results.

Reply #890120 | Report this post

AngusH  
Two years ago

SEM have already checked out if this game is any indication.

Reply #890121 | Report this post

Scout  
Two years ago

ummm SEM is in front ....

Reply #890123 | Report this post

AngusH  
Two years ago

Yeah that was posted when SEM were down 17. Vintage Sixers collapse. Still don't see SEM beating Perth though, even if Cotton just puts up 40 shots, the Phoenix are woeful defensively, they just got out woefulled by Adelaide tonight.

Reply #890124 | Report this post

Yup  
Two years ago

Human nature says JJ's have more motivation to win than United does...

Reply #890148 | Report this post

NBLTigers  
Two years ago

I can't see Phoenix winning Sunday. I was at the game and the Sixers should of creamed them.

The Sixers just stopped playing defence. It explains their whole season in that one game.

If I was United you need to play Perth because we have a great record against them. Tasmania is just a gamble in my opinion and not professional if we tanked. No point tanking if Phoenix can’t even get the win.

Reply #890164 | Report this post

Outlook  
Two years ago

If Tasmania win, and Perth win, it is the Wildcats who will advance to the Finals.

If Tasmania lose to Melbourne on Saturday, Perth will make the Finals regardless of their Sunday game.

Reply #890167 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:13 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754