ME
Two years ago

Which NBL players have pushed their Boomers bids

So out of all NBL players this year, which ones do you think are shoring themselves up for a tilt at the world cup next year?

I think we need to look at our biggest present weakness - bigmen. I think duop Reath and JLA immediately walk into contention behind Landale - with a lack of big bodies you'd hope Baynes is playing good basketball by then.

Xavier Cooks, Jack White and Keanu Pinder are our best power forwards with Cooks probably having the edge given his versatility - one of these three will make it.

Mitch Creek as a small forward but facing tough competition with Ingles, Thybulle already obvious locks and the possibility of Daniels playing multiple positions and Green.

At the guard, usual suspects are Delly and Goulding but beyond that, Vaselijivic looks like a player for the future, if not 2023.

Possibly 2023 line up

Giddey/Exum / Delly?
Mills/ Daniels
Ingles/Thybulle/ Cooks? Green?
Simmons/Kay
Landale/Baynes?/ Reath/ JLA?

Less likely: Delly, Goulding, DJ, Creek, Pinder, White

Topic #49984 | Report this topic

koberulz  
Two years ago

Mitch Creek should be nowhere near the national team.

Reply #890216 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Two years ago

Hes one of the nations 20 best basketball players, whether or not he's the living embodiment of a Prodigy song

Reply #890218 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

20 in camp likely

Exum-Giddey-Dellavedova-Sobey
Mills-Goulding-Daniels-Cotton**
Ingles-Thybulle*-Green-Creek
Simmons-Kay-Cooks-White
Landale-Reath-Acuil-Pinder

*not fully vaxed which could stop him from being eligible.
**would replace Thybulle if N/A
Baynes at 36.5y.o with his injury could be a long shot.

Reply #890221 | Report this post

Ben  
Two years ago

Mitch Creeks's an arsonist?

Reply #890222 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Two years ago

Living embodiment of a Prodigy song....LOL.

Reply #890228 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

The future, top 25 probably
1995>

Exum-Giddey-McdowellWhite-Armstrong-Bayles
Daniels-Proctor-Vasljevic-Glover-King
Thybulle-Green-Travers-Grida-Kuol
Simmons-Cooks-White-Pinder-Galloway
Landale-Reath-Magnay-Froling-Humphries

Reply #890229 | Report this post

Aussie  
Two years ago

Giddey
Mills
Landale
Reath
Ingles

Daniels
Exum
JLA
Kay
Thybulle

Green
Cooks

Simmons won't play again

Reply #890232 | Report this post

Yup  
Two years ago

Giddey/Exum/Delly
Mills/Green/Daniels
Ingles/Thybulle
Kay/Cooks
Landale/Baynes/JLA

So much perimeter talent, Thybulle plays a lot of small ball 4

There's gonna be some great players missing out if everyone is available

Reply #890234 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Two years ago

"The future, top 25 probably
1995>

Exum-Giddey-McdowellWhite-Armstrong-Bayles
Daniels-Proctor-Vasljevic-Glover-King
Thybulle-Green-Travers-Grida-Kuol
Simmons-Cooks-White-Pinder-Galloway
Landale-Reath-Magnay-Froling-Humphries"

I find this a little depressing if I am being honest. No doubt looking good in the guard and small forward positions but lean in the big man department. There's definitely no Baynes, Bogut, Bradtke, Longley type physical presence coming through. We may have medalled without it last year but that was with the good luck of not having to face either France or Spain.

The Delly-Mills-Ingles-Baynes-Bogut era was a special one and I'd hope at least most of those guys go around one more time before handing over the keys to the next generation. If Baynes can be a top NBL player this time next year I think it's imperative he's on the next Boomers team.

On another note I just re-watched the Bronze medal game, and wow, what Patty Mills did deserves to be spoken of for generations to come. That was a masterclass. The boys were tested numerous times in that game but finally, for once in our nation's history, they refused to be denied. I hope that spirit carries over to the next generation of Boomers. There is something truly special about that uniform no matter what.

Reply #890242 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

Beyond Paris Olympics
1995>

Atm, I think the team would be

6'8 Giddey 02
6’6 Daniels 03
6’5 Green 00
6’10 Simmons 96
6’11 Landale 95

6’6 Exum 95
6’4 Proctor 94
6’5 Thybulle 97
6’8 Cooks 95
6’11 Reath 96

6’7 White 97
6’10 Magnay 98

Likely the best defensive team in any comp, full of great distributors, but we need sgs desperately Imo, players that can actually put the ball in the hole. Mills has carried us for so so long.

I think our big man stocks are ok with still Humphries, Pinder, Froling in reserve.
Acuil 94, also may be available if he doesn’t go with Sudan.
Big man stocks beyond that would be nbl DPs, college bigs, u19 and u17 n.t players.
The only college guard getting any nba buzz is Armstrong and their are few if any standout guards in the juniors. The only guard that has all the tools but hasn’t flourished yet is Briggs from vic m, Siulepa also a good sf prospect out of qld s. Way too early to know though.

Reply #890243 | Report this post

Pinch  
Two years ago

No shooters on that team. You would lose Proctor/Daniels/Green for shooters.

Reply #890244 | Report this post

hoopie  
Two years ago

Vasiljevic would NEED to be on any Boomers team for his shooting, kind of like Goulding is now.

Until our big guards start getting outside shots consistently, we need to carry a pure shooter. Unless we find someone better, he seems to be the only one with the confidence and mongrel to hit them under pressure.

Reply #890245 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Two years ago

DJ's problem is he's short for a shooting guard and not particularly athletic. He's very crafty though and there's no question he can get buckets. The question would be whether he could contain literally anyone at that level.

Reply #890259 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

On present form, no way is DJ better than Goulding.

Reply #890263 | Report this post

hoopie  
Two years ago

You're right, Dunkman, for now. I’m looking to the future.

Agree that Vasiljevic is short, so he’d need sets getting him free for shots. Agree that he’s not a good defender, but neither was Goulding. But I like that he’s crafty and has that bit of mongrel so that he’ll take the bumps and won’t go sooky.

Reply #890265 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Two years ago

Yeah Vasiljevic is not making a Boomers team ahead of Goulding. CG43 is proven on the international stage. No point mentioning Mitch Creek either he didn't even make last year's Olympic team and no way he makes one now that Cooks is injury free and the emergence of Daniels too.

The only reason Creek got added to the 2019 WC team was to replace Cooks who made the team but then did his ankle in a warm up game.

Reply #890320 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

Don't think Vasljevic will ever get much run with the boomers. Asia cups etc but not WCs or Olympics.
6’2 pure shooter with no speed, athleticism or ability to defend.

Reply #890418 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:21 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754