curtley
Two years ago

AIS arena gets $11M in funding

Hopefully this helps the cannons get back sooner.

austadiums.com/news/1172/ais-arena-to-reopen-in-2023-with-11-million-upgrade

Topic #49996 | Report this topic

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

It's for both cannons and capitals.
11 mill is only the governments contribution.
Likely see 20 mill+ upgrades.

Reply #890419 | Report this post

Outlook  
Two years ago

I wonder if it'll be feasible to have an AIS basketball team playing in the NBL. I know it'll be boys v men but it'll be a great learning curve for them. You could still fill out the team with 3 imports.

Reply #890427 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Two years ago

One team getting smashed every week doesn't bode well for the competition - we already have the Adelaide 36ers.

Reply #890434 | Report this post

Dew95  
Two years ago

Hawks need to refurbish the snakepit and make it 4000 seat stadium. Play at Win Ent centre for big playoffs or Kings games. Keep all the profits.

Reply #890439 | Report this post

hoopie  
Two years ago

So if I understand this right, there's a promise of money from a desperate Federal government which didn’t care before but suddenly does 3 weeks out from an election.

While it’s welcome, it sounds just like more pork-barrelling. Anyway, I hope it’s more successful than the promised carparks, and that it happens before the subs get here.

Reply #890476 | Report this post

Green ant  
Two years ago

This funding was actually announced 2 weeks ago. Apparently funding is committed regardless of election outcome.

But yes a local senator pushed for it right on election eve.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-04-12/canberra-ais-arena-to-reopen-next-year-liberals-election-funding/

Reply #890492 | Report this post

KET  
Two years ago

I imagine more is required for this to be NBL standard.

What's the capacity?

Reply #890499 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

5,000-5,500

Reply #890509 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:00 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754