wak
Years ago

Social bball at Glenelg?

Where around Glenelg can one join a social bball team?

Topic #500 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

there aint no games around g-town. we should get the council to put up rings near the beach and near old magic mountain for summer, would have some crazy ball there. would be hella cali style.

Reply #4107 | Report this post

Chump  
Years ago

Hell yeah that a heap good idea. That would be choice!

Reply #4119 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Exactly what i was thinking.

The courts would go off in summer!

People are always complaining about the youth of adelaide roaming the streets and causing trouble etc.

But what else is there to do?

They close Magic mountain.
They close Ice Arena.

I can tell you this much, if they had bball courts somewhere in adelaide that were under lights, id spend my saturday nights there rather than partying.

Reply #4120 | Report this post

Double Clutch  
Years ago

Me and my mates play basketball weeknights and sunday nights under some lights at a primary school in parafield gardens in summer. Sometimes however the guard will kick you off around 3am or so. Matters if you get a cool guard or not.

And then sometimes drug addicts will rock on through......but that's a different matter altogether.

I used to work at Coles Glenelg, (now at Norwood) and always thought it would be an excellent idea. Maybe we should start a petition to the council.

Reply #4121 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

petition sounds good.

Reply #4147 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

Hey Double Clutch, why do they have the lights on at the school if you'r not allowed/meant to play their?

Cheers, DJ

Reply #4150 | Report this post

Double Clutch  
Years ago

Probabley due to some of the vandalism going on etc in that area.

There is actually another school with lights on 2 minutes away as well. The court isn't as good thought and the lighting is very dim, (no 3 point line either). The security guards there will let you play non stop but will take your cars' number plate and if anything goes wrong will investigate through you. Some dodgy things happen at that school so we often use that as a last resort for some before 12pm ball.

The courts I play on have no 3 point line but are extremely lit, have a pretty good surface and all. There is two rings, (smaller than official size but not too bad). The area is wind protected being surrounded by four buildings with a nice small car park attached to the court so as to keep an eye on your car. I think the school is called The Pines. Most of the time security guards will let you play, (most of them recognise me now and know I won't vandalise anything) but some kick you off. It's starting to catch on there and often its a fight of who gets the court first. Anyone looking for a nightgame on a sunday night from about 11pm to 3am etc in summer should check it out.

Reply #4172 | Report this post

The Highlight  
Years ago

Build a cage down at Glenelg like at Rucker Park. Put it under lights and hold streetball tourneys there every week.

Another thought, make the rings half a foot lower. This would make the tourneys that little bit more exciting. much more dunks and much more love from the crowds. Having a tourney would keep the fat kids out of McDonalds help them lose that excess weight. Big problem in society these days.

Reply #4175 | Report this post

wak  
Years ago

Seriously, anyone play around Glenelg area?

Need to join a comp but new to area, don't know of any place to play...

Reply #4201 | Report this post

Lucy  
Years ago

as u proberbly alreay know, they are building a huge complex at glenelg where magic mountain is gettin ripped down, out there would be perfect.....

Reply #4202 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

as a g-town resident since i was born i have seen ppl use and abuse the brighton rings non stop. hell there even ends up being people waiting for the rings to be free at times. i say we create a petetion, send it to glenelgs council and see wat happens. some good sites would be, magic mountain (if its demolished in time), the car park there, the grass area near the grand. could get maccas to be official supporters along with footlocker or something. as you probably realised i been dreaming about this for a long time (2 years) just had no one to help me or to discus it with. so if anyone wants to help me out with this let me know.

Reply #4208 | Report this post

Alf  
Years ago

Wak,

Closest to you would probably be marion. Mens social is monday and wednesday, womens thursday and mixed tuesday. If you dont know a team you can join, ring the stadium and put your name down, theres always teams looking for players.

Alternatively, pasadena have the better quality mens social by far. Mens social is monday, wednesday and thursday, ladies tuesday and mixed sundays.

Reply #4372 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

Unfortunately the area where Magic Moutain currently is, and a lot of that grassed area behind it (Colley Reserve) is already earmarked for more development.

However, a petition is something that could be worth investigating.

Myself, it would not affect me (unless someone wants stats done on street ball, lol), but I would more than happy to sign a petition to get some top quality street courts in the Glenelg area.

Reply #4383 | Report this post

Double Clutch  
Years ago

Anyone else know some good places to play ball in summer? Maybe we should all start a regular central meeting place if anyone wants a game, (from the people wanting to prove their hot to people like me who just hope one of their ugly as jumpshots goes in the basket).

Reply #4412 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I wanted to make a list of good places to play for this site, when they're open, how busy they are, etc.

I always played at Mitcham PS (uneven at one end which has a ring slightly bent down, usually pretty dusty, sticks on the court, no nets). Have played at Westbourne Park PS (I think it is) a few times (strong rings, no full court, dusty asphalt at the high end, 8' rings at the other end, no nets from memory).

I think DJ came down to play with Oscar and I one day when he was over from Melbourne. Certainly not a fancy court, but an old favourite.

Reply #4424 | Report this post

wak  
Years ago

Alf, ta!

Reply #4442 | Report this post

Double Clutch  
Years ago

Important point is do they have lights Isaac?

Reply #4495 | Report this post

baller  
Years ago

I think if a regular place to ball was established then alot of people would go out and play. Most of the people who i have spoken about it with would be up for it. I think if people were playing regularly it would attract some good comp.

Reply #4496 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There is good courts just outside the city. They are surrounded by a cage just before you hit the brittania roundabout going away from the city.

Cant remember the name of the road, it is used for the clipsal 500.

There is a hole in the fence so u can get in, and in summer there is a lot of people there usually.

Reply #4506 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

There's a decent court at Surrey Downs Primary School with metal nets, you'll find me and my mates out there in Summer and holidays. Also a full size court and nets at Lovell Resrve in Athelstone. Neither have lighting though.

Reply #4510 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

DC - no lights really at MPS so we've had some bad dunk attempts in the dark. We played with a giant tennis ball once (mentioned in my book, btw!) hoping that the softer noise wouldn't trouble the nearby residents but it didn't work because ShaqDiddy was crying too loudly about losing the stud from his Jordans. Haha.

Anon - I've heard the same about the courts in the city, but never been there. That might be Bartels Rd?

Reply #4537 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

This is mainly a Melbourne based project Streetball.com.au these guys have done an amazing job to making a great location into a great court that pulls good sized crowds regularly (Prahran Park).

They used to list a couple of places in Adelaide but that section is now under construction.

Onto my limited experiences of Streetball in SA:

Mitcham PS - Good for half court games, although up against a formidable duo of the Forman brothers.

Not sure on this courts name but is located off Marion Rd, turn right opposite the Marion Hotel, is about 3 blocks into the residential and doubles as a carpark for a church, Full size court, had great surface (6 years ago) and rings had chain nets in good nick. Only prob you can't play on sunday's! :-)

As for the ultimate CAGE court, there used to be one in Mt Baker that was AWESOME, if it's still there it would be 8 years old it was one of those multi use cages which had soccer nets (built into the cage, backboards on each end and option to put up nets (tennis, volleyball perhaps).

Was 3 qtr length which is great for 4 on 4 and had a good crowd on Sat & Sundays. Is/Was located behind the main Mt Baker Oval. Well worth a drive on the weekend if it's still there.

Cheers, DJ

Reply #4538 | Report this post

MW  
Years ago

The one opposite Marion Hotel has about 4 rings if I'm not mistaken. There is one on a synthetic surface in a cage around Col. Light Gardens area, have no idea whereabouts though sorry.

Reply #4544 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Anon - I've heard the same about the courts in the city, but never been there. That might be Bartels Rd?"

Just had a look, its on Wakefield St. in-between Hutt st. and the Brittania roundabout.

Reply #4551 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

There was some courts in Rundle St which now has Nova Cinema built on it. That place was packed for teh summer that it was open.

If the ACC can build beach volleyball courts than surely they can give some space near Rundle St for some lunch and midnight hoops.

Reply #4555 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

The church DJ mentioned is the Latter Day Saints (aka Mormon) church (dont ask me how I know - long story).

Just re school grounds, remember it's actually illegal now to be on grounds after school hours.

Dont mean to be a stick in the mud, just keep it in mind if your playing there, you might get hassled by the cops or security.

This thread is making me start to wish I could actually have some sort of basketball skill in my body, apart from writing about it and statting it :)

Reply #4563 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dont worry about your lack of skills, just as long as you can run your mouth while playing, you will look cool.

Reply #4565 | Report this post

tizzle  
Years ago

I'm always up for a bit of ball, preferably in the Brighton/Marion area. Play social up a Flinders Uni, pretty ordinary competition but good for the PPG.

So yeah, if you guys can find a place around those areas ^ I'm well up for a bit of streetball.

Reply #4566 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

Well, I have no problems running my mouth :)

Reply #4592 | Report this post

Double Clutch  
Years ago

Hey Tizzle, you don't play at Flinders at all during the week do you? I sometimes try to get a pick up game between lectures in the gym.

Reply #4635 | Report this post

Double Clutch  
Years ago

Yogee, do what I do, surround yourself with mates who don't know if you're meant to catch the ball with their hands or feet and let them watch in awe as shot after shot bounces off the rim. Great for the ego.

Actually I can assure a good 1 out of 50 wide open threes will go in the basket when I shoot, and as such should qualify as the USA's "zone breaker".

Reply #4636 | Report this post

tizzle  
Years ago

I haven't played there for a while DC, mainly due to sheer laziness, but I finish up at 11 most days... so I can always fit in a bit of lunch-time pick-up.

Reply #4674 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

well people i have decided to make the petetion, once i have finished it i will put it in some stadiums, deli's and what not if i can. will present it to both ACC and glenelg council.
the best place to have it would be colley reserve when i think about it. busy area = spectators and players, not to mention will help get rid of those loser skaters and old people (not that theres anything wrong with the oldies only glenelg needs more youth).
im thinking courts rucker style or something. have a big ass logo in middle of court and multi coloured floors. would be sweet.

Reply #4874 | Report this post

Double Clutch  
Years ago

Sounds great......ill rally some troops and get people to sign when you get it going.

Reply #4966 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

what should i put on the petetion?
This is a petetion which is calling for basketball courts to be placed in the glenelg area for the growing basketball community in the area and also as a way of helping keeping our youth of the streets and trouble. These courts will attract a vibrant new batch of youth in glenelg which will help with the economical status in glenelg. this will bring new bussiness into glenelg and will also promote a healthier community.
thats all i can think of. was thinking of getting about 10,000 signatures to send in.

Reply #5468 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Typo in "bussiness". Otherwise good.

Drove past the City Sk8 park last night and there were 20+ kids there. That's 20 people who aren't out mucking around and 20 people out there instead of sitting on their bums in front of the TV. A similar park for basketball would be great.

Reply #5486 | Report this post

avanti  
Years ago

Also typo in "petition"....

Reply #5498 | Report this post

tizzle  
Years ago

What about a petition to get the ring fixed up or replaced at Brighton Rd opposite Bi-Lo, next to where the new skate park is being built.

That would be huge in summer.

Reply #5570 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

or we could get multi rings at glenelg in a bigger area with more people and is more likely to be seen and used. sorry about typos. wasnt paying much attention.

Reply #5702 | Report this post

Andrew Lea  
Years ago

There is a comp at Underdale on Sunday nights, but the Stadium is going to be bulldozed for a housing development at the end of the year and we have to move.

You could always come down and have a look before we move - some of the guys teams (7 teams) are looking for players I think. Game times are 5:00pm, 5:50pm and 6:40pm.

Reply #6898 | Report this post

tru bball  
Years ago

get every one you know to sign up and send it to the glenelg council to put a cage court up down in tha park near were magic mountine was and hold streetball comps their on saterday nights or sumthink?

Reply #42658 | Report this post

CPD  
Years ago

Reviving this one, missed it first time around.

* Did anything happen with the petition?

* Dunno if any of the above is still relevant, so, are there any places around Glenelg / Marion to where I can get a regular pick-up game after hours (6pm onwards)? I'd much prefer pick-up games over social ball as it's free and the refing is often better since the players aren't just interested in getting the hell out of there!

* Does anyone regularly go to the 8 foot ring at Brighton? It can get pretty busy in the warmer months, especially with daylight saving.

* Brighton High has two full courts with 3 point lines that can get reasonably busy as well, but there's usually a group of people there who already have a game going and extra people just mess up the numbers. You have to be lucky to get a game if you're by yourself.

Tizzle and Double Clutch, the Flinders Uni gym has free time from 12-3pm on Saturday arvo. I'm there almost every week, usually with a couple of other guys. Costs about 2 bucks to get in - depends who's looking after the place. It used to be pretty good for pick-up games but has definitely fizzled in the last 8 months or so. Sometimes you get a decent game of 3-on-3, sometimes you spend 3 hours practicing your jump shot. Look for me in blue shorts and a grey t-shirt, with big hair.

Reply #55957 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I play in a mixed social comp at Pasadena on Sunday nights, only about 15-mins from Glenelg I think. The standard is really good and definitely worth looking into if you can get a team together. Umpiring isn't toooooo bad and the courts are decent.

Reply #55969 | Report this post

mm  
Years ago

can you list for detial about the social game in Pasadena

Reply #95429 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:05 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754