ME
Two years ago

Brisbane to announce "marquee signing" tomorrow

The Brisbane Bullets have just dropped a media release stating they will be announcing a marquee signing to a multi-year deal tomorrow.

No, it's not March 31st today. Tomorrow is not April Fools.

There is really only one name that fits the bill for me - Aron Baynes.

Topic #50002 | Report this topic

Aussie  
Two years ago

Hopefully but maybe Humphries?

Reply #890593 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Two years ago

Sounds like Baynes he and the Bullets had supposedly been talking throughout the season but it can't be Humphries still under contract to the Sixers as free agency hasn't started yet.

Reply #890596 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Two years ago

I am now hearing whispers that it is Sobey. If that's the case then the media release REALLY overegged the pudding. I don't think 'marquee signing' when I think of Sobey. Really hope that's not the extent of it all.

Reply #890597 | Report this post

Isaac  
Two years ago

My first thought was Motum. Isn't he from Brisbane?

Reply #890598 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Two years ago

Yep Motum is that's why we got him at the Sixers good buddy of Teys.

Feels so long ago when Motum replaced DJ who thought he would take his skills to Europe and lasted about 10 games in Poland before being released and coming back to the Sixers later that season.

Reply #890600 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

Sobey-Cadee
Import-Digbeau(ns)-?
Import-Drmic
Franks-Deng
Baynes-Harrison

Hearing rumours
Salt-nz
Krebs-tassie
Wigness-cairns

Reply #890601 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Two years ago

I don't think the Bullets could afford both Baynes and Sobey, fwiw Sobey has been linked to the Sixers.

Reply #890602 | Report this post

Saint23  
Two years ago

can baynes make the bullets a contenders next season? or do they still need a pg

Reply #890606 | Report this post

KWhite_Rulez  
Two years ago

Would love Baynes in the league.

Reply #890607 | Report this post

KET  
Two years ago

Sobey wouldn't be a marquee signing, it would be a marquee re-signing

Reply #890608 | Report this post

Ben  
Two years ago

Haven't heard anything but my first thought was Baynes. He’s settled in Brisbane, probs not returning to the NBA and he might as well make some decent easy coin while he still can. Happily surprised if the Bullets blow the moths off of the purse to get him.

Reply #890611 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Two years ago

Baynes has said that he wants to make it back to the NBA. I think at this point his chances are slim but if he's ever going to do that, it's not going to happen without blowing off the rust in the NBL. A Euroleague or NBA team would not take a bet on him at this point in his career after his injury. If Baynes plays professional basketball again I think it will have to be in the NBL. And given he's settled in Brisbane I'd think all the signs are pointing that direction.

As for tomorrow's announcement, they very well could announce Sobey but that wouldn't preclude later announcing Baynes. A Sobey signing doesn't move the meter on Brisbane becoming any kind of contender so I don't think it justifies the big words.

Reply #890619 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

Wouldn't think it’s Motum, still playing for Monaco in French div one plus euro league, that’s serious money. Sobey or Baynes imo.

Reply #890625 | Report this post

Scout  
Two years ago

Sobey

Reply #890628 | Report this post

Ben  
Two years ago

Happy Sobey is back on board. Many feared Brisbane would fumble the ball and see Nathan sign elsewhere.

Reply #890629 | Report this post

Screeningnick  
Two years ago

How much is an elite Australian point guard in his 30s making?

Reply #890638 | Report this post

Boba Fett  
Two years ago

How much do you get paid?

Reply #890642 | Report this post

SixersFan  
Two years ago

Hopefully Adelaide helped drive up the price Brisbane had to pay.

Reply #890643 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Two years ago

Looks like the Sixers were again used to drive up a player's price who probably had no real intention of coming here.

Reply #890644 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Two years ago

"How much is an elite Australian point guard in his 30s making?"

"How much do you get paid?"

Correct answer is - 'go check what Patty Mills' NBA contract is worth'

Reply #890646 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Two years ago

Who'd want a McCarron - Sobey backcourt? Fuck that noise. They've definitely oversold this signing. I mean it's a re-signing of a guy who is 'good' at NBL level but he doesn't move the needle for Brisbane. Should have just announced it like they would any other signing and not with a prelude.

Reply #890651 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Two years ago

For a casual fan who wants big names, a McCarron-Sobey backcourt would be disappointing. But for those who follow it closely and watch both ends, that pairing would work well as both defend and both are at their best in a running game, which their combined defence would generate.

Reply #890655 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Two years ago

Neither can adequately play point guard or run a team as has been shown consistently for about 5 years

Reply #890656 | Report this post

Ben  
Two years ago

I'd take a Macca|Sobey backcourt all day. Good fit for Mitch who would play defence, look after primary handling duties and not be concerned with getting a certain amount of shots. But Brisbane have already f***ed up signing him three times soooooo ...

Seriously though, you taking the piss ME? If healthy, Sobey is easily All-NBL. Literally the difference between Brisbane having a puncher's chance at playoffs and being an utter basketcase - which is exactly what was on display this season.

Shocked Brisbane was proactive and secured his signature so early.

Reply #890657 | Report this post

Q Anon  
Two years ago

36ers weren't in serious contention. No way you can say they drove the price up. Missed out on other FA's as well due to budget. Simply not spending money in the right areas it seems.

Reply #890659 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Two years ago

Seriously though, you taking the piss ME? If healthy, Sobey is easily All-NBL.

When healthy Sobey is probably the second best Aussie in the league, he knows that but he sees him as a threat to his crush Mitch Creek so talks him down every chance he gets.

Reply #890664 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Two years ago

"When healthy Sobey is probably the second best Aussie in the league, he knows that but he sees him as a threat to his crush Mitch Creek so talks him down every chance he gets."

LOL. Huh??? So defending the institution of law and the notion of 'innocent until proven guilty' means the guy is my crush? No I just don't think Sobey is that big a deal when Brisbane are re-signing a guy they've had for years now and who is yet to take them to the playoffs.

"Seriously though, you taking the piss ME? If healthy, Sobey is easily All-NBL. Literally the difference between Brisbane having a puncher's chance at playoffs and being an utter basketcase - which is exactly what was on display this season.
"

The point I was making re Sobey/McCarron backcourt is neither of them is a point guard. Sobey is a shooting guard and should always be a shooting guard. I am not sure what position McCarron could even be called but it isn't point guard.

Is Sobey good? Yes. Is he all-NBL? Yes. Did it warrant the prelude that they kept a guy? I don't know. I thought it would be Baynes so I am disappointed in that sense. But whatever.

Reply #890665 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Two years ago

"Neither can adequately play point guard or run a team"

Even casual fans know that McCarron is a championship winning point guard, and those capable of digging a little deeper know Sobey was the PG on the team that ranked 1st in scoring, 2nd in FTA, 3rd in FG% and 3rd in assists last season despite having one of the lowest budgets.

Reply #890672 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Two years ago

"I'd take a Macca|Sobey backcourt all day. Good fit for Mitch who would play defence, look after primary handling duties and not be concerned with getting a certain amount of shots."

It's actually almost a perfect fit - both like a mix of playing with and without the ball. Couple it with Cadee off the bench and a decent import swingman and you've got a brilliant balance on the perimeter.

Reply #890673 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Two years ago

LOL the "casual fans" line again. "Championship winning point guard". The term is almost as overused as "Boomer". There were other players on the team with the ability to create and the team was stacked.

Reply #890674 | Report this post

Ben  
Two years ago

Brisbane's failure to make the playoffs most seasons is hardly Sobey’s responsibility. That would lay with Lemonass and his years of ineptitude with roster management.

Reply #890676 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Two years ago

It's more to do with the lack of budget the owners were able to provide.

Reply #890677 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Two years ago

"There were other players on the team with the ability to create"

Sure, but anyone who follows it closely knows McCarron was the number one playmaker on that team:

Mitch McCarron 5.1 apg
Scotty Hopson 2.7 apg
Jock Landale 2.3 apg
Chris Goulding 2.1 apg
Shea Ili 2.0 apg

"Championship winning point guard. The term is almost as overused as Boomer"

The only championship winning point guards in the last 10 years are McCarron, Damian Martin, Casper Ware and Cedric Jackson. I don't think the term is really being bandied around all that often.

Reply #890678 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Two years ago

No I mean the term in regards to McCarron.

Reply #890680 | Report this post

Kas  
Two years ago

McCarron is a championship winning point guard - FACT

He was extremely important to the Melb Utd championship

Reply #890683 | Report this post

LV  
Two years ago

McCarron signed for 3 years didnt he? Why are we talking about McCarron and Sobey?

Sobey good signing but he's 32 in July and he's more on the athlete side of the athlete/finesse spectrum, so it'll be interesting seeing whether he can return to the All NBL first time when fit. My bet would be no.

Reply #890688 | Report this post

LV  
Two years ago

first team*

Reply #890689 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Two years ago

McCarron was brought up because for the last month or so Sobey's supposed destination was going to be a return to Adelaide. Even the commentators were saying it during games. Yes, McCarron signed for 3 years.

I wasn't overly thrilled about the thought of the Sixers bringing Sobey back on what would've likely been a 3 year deal. It might've meant financially DJ got pushed out though, small mercies and all that.

The big problems with it would've been if he still insisted on trying to be a PG something he's woeful at and the big risk of giving a guy like him in his early 30's who relies so heavily on his athleticism and who's body is now starting to show signs of breaking down. The last year or so of that deal wouldn't have been fun but that's the Bullets issue now.

Reply #890695 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:16 pm, Thu 28 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754