retired
Two years ago

Cooks and Coaches comment naming a Ref

How does Cooks and Buford get away with naming Chris Reid in their comments at half time and full time from sundays game.

I think it is pretty rude and they should be suspended or heavily fined as they may not be happy with calls the Refs make but to say what they said is disrespectful and action should be taken.

In Rugby League and other sports players and coaches know they cannot bad mouth and name officials and it should be the same in Basketball.

When it comes to allocating the Officials for the playoffs you would think Chris Reid would probably not be getting the Hawks/Kings games but I hope he does.

Topic #50004 | Report this topic

Dunkman  
Two years ago

What was actually said?

Reply #890632 | Report this post

retired  
Two years ago

Cooks said at half time.Chris Reid is killing us.

Reply #890634 | Report this post

LV  
Two years ago

Very interesting in the context of the current AFL controversy over the crackdown on ump dissent

Also interesting in the context of Sydney's only Grand Final appearance in the last 13 years happening after they got some exceedingly generous help from the officials in their deciding Game 3 semi final win

Reply #890636 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Two years ago

Comment on this situation from Goorjian. See https://nbl.com.au/news/goorjian-questions-referee-criticism

Reply #890645 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Two years ago

Reid is terrible, but surely they have to get a decent fine for their comments.

Reply #890653 | Report this post

Nightwing  
Two years ago

Really based on ....? Being a referee is actually hard. Ignoring all the hate and abuse no matter if you're right or not.

Reid as with the majority of NBL referees does this on the side, for little in return. Spends hours each week upskilling himself in his own time. While holding down a full time job, family, friends etc.

Compare that with an NBA Playoffs player, earning $4m+ US, who yesterday shot a record breaking 0-11 before making his first and only foul shot. Standing still, shooting from the foul line, something no professional athlete has an excuse not to master.

Lets get some perspective hey. Not that I even agree with your unsupported attack.

This is exactly why the AFL has take the approach it has. It starts on the court. Shutting down the visual and verbal abuse from the players and coaches. That will in turn lessen the ridiculous over the top abuse from the crowds and online trolls. It's a process the AFL has finally started, while the NBL continue to feed as entertainment.

Reply #890693 | Report this post

koberulz  
Two years ago

Reid has been terrible for years.

Reply #890696 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Two years ago

The league would disagree with your expert opinion KR

Reply #890697 | Report this post

koberulz  
Two years ago

Then the league is wrong. He's responsible for a massive percentage of the worst calls of any given season.

Reply #890698 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Two years ago

"Reid as with the majority of NBL referees does this on the side"

Is he now one of the full-timers? The NBL expanded beyond Aylen and Mayberry a couple of years back, is that still in place?

"Really based on ....? Being a referee is actually hard."

It is difficult. Reid is still there because of his good game management with a lot of inexperienced referees on the panel, but his ability to accurately call the game dropped away many years ago.

Reply #890699 | Report this post

Nightwing  
Two years ago

Without any proof that's jut your opinion.

There are only 2 full time REFEREES. The NBL suppliment some referees working with their local state bodies in admin roles.

Reply #890700 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Two years ago

KR ever delusional

Reply #890701 | Report this post

HighIQ  
Two years ago

Here for the comments hahahha

Reply #890731 | Report this post

Yup  
Two years ago

This AFL crackdown thing, they actually tried it in basketball and it was a complete disaster and FIBA changed the rule after like a cpl months.

Iirc- could be early 2000s, hopefully some has a better memory than mine...

Reply #890733 | Report this post

Three to Make Two  
Two years ago

Has the NBL taken any action about the comments made by Cooks or Buford?

In the past people have been fined up to $10000 and threatened with other sanctions.

Or is the NBL saying it's all good and referees are open slather?

Reply #890734 | Report this post

retired  
Two years ago

NBL have not done anything yet or it would be on their website.

Pretty poor if they do not do anything about it.

It will be open slather on referees if they don't.

Reply #890735 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Two years ago

There have been several penalties behind the scenes this season. Don't think no social media action is no action

Reply #890736 | Report this post

AngusH  
Two years ago

Chris Reid didn't have a lot of friends in the crowd last game, I know that much.

Reply #890737 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Two years ago

You were losing the entire game. Whoever is losing cries the most

Reply #890739 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Two years ago

Buford was clear that two refs were good and one was poor. That is consistent with those three refs performances through the season. The Tassie kid is a good prospect.

Reply #890758 | Report this post

retired  
Two years ago

Saw the outcome on the NBL Website and I think Cooks got off lightly.

Hit him harder in the hip pocket or better suspend him and make an example of him.

Buford should be serving the suspension NOW not after the playoffs.

Reply #890783 | Report this post

AngusH  
Two years ago

Would you happen to be from WA per chance, retired?

Reply #890784 | Report this post

BigD  
Two years ago

NBL should have come down on this harshly.
At least 1 game suspension for both of them immediately plus a big fine.
Personally I would have wanted a 2 game suspension to make the point you cannot publically name and criticise officials.

Reply #890794 | Report this post

Ballin Fan  
Two years ago

in court side interviews players sometimes just repeat what they just heard on the bench from the coach/whomever.

from the Sydney Morning Herald
Sydney Kings coach Chase Buford says he understands the criticism he has received for accusing a referee of bias after Sunday's loss to the Illawarra Hawks, describing it as an "immature thing to do".

The NBL on Thursday night fined Buford $10,000 for comments made after his side’s loss to the Hawks, while forward Xavier Cooks was hit with a $2000 fine.

Speaking after the three-point loss, Buford said: “I just hope we don’t have Chris [Reid]” in charge of Friday night’s play-off game.

Ahead of the first play-off semi-final against the Hawks in Wollongong, Buford said he had not been asked to explain his comments, but was, nonetheless, remorseful.

“I’ve got to find a way to not get into a personal battle with officials or anyone else and just focus on our team,” he said. “[It’s] another growth moment for me.”

His coaching rival in Friday’s clash, Brian Goorjian, has criticised Buford’s behaviour and defended the referees, saying he had never experienced favouritism by NBL officials in his extensive career in the league.

Buford, in his first year with the Kings since moving from the NBA’s Milwaukee Bucks, said he had the “ultimate respect” for six-time NBL championship winner Goorjian.

“I’ve got nothing but admiration and respect for all he’s accomplished, both this year and throughout his career,” he said.

“I understand if he didn’t respect the way I acted the other day ... I didn’t respect the way [I behaved].”

Reply #890804 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

Two grand, small change to what Cooks is earning.

Reply #890806 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

Would be funny if Reid gets assigned to tonight's game.

Reply #890811 | Report this post

retired  
Two years ago

It really is unfair of the decisions.

Cooks and Buford should both have been suspended immediately.In a way it is a joke because its finals playoff time and why should they be allowed to particpate just for the sake of the game.

Make them pay for their indersretions

Also I am not from WA.So do not put it on the Red Army supporters.

Reply #890869 | Report this post

hoopie  
Two years ago

Was that a 'wanker' hand gesture Cooks was giving some hardcore fans as they ripped into Adams?

If so, I can see another fine coming. Possibly even a suspension?

Reply #890872 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:45 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754