Kanga
Two years ago

How many missed 3s is too many?

What is an acceptable 3 point shooting percentage for junior players (u14-18)?

I would suggest that a kid that is judicious with 3 point attempts and makes, say, 1 from 2 or 3 is fine so long as they are good shots. But if you have kids that are taking heaps of shots and making none or only one? Then there is an issue. Particularly so where some of those are air balls.

Important to make sure you are getting the right kids making the 3 point shots, and all too often if one kid has a pot shot or a few then others will as well as they think it is ok - bad shooting is contagious. I reckon you need to be quite directive and say that only certain kids have licence to shoot from that range. And if you miss your first couple, then put it away.

Interested to hear from coaches as to what rules they impose on teams in this regard.

Topic #50012 | Report this topic

Anon  
Two years ago

I used to employ team rules rather than player. Always find the best shot. Never shoot contested 3's or off the dribble. If you are dribling you are going to the bucket. But I always had teams that could shoot 40-50% from 3. One year we needed a minimum of 8 3's a game to win. 10 points from the break, 24 from three, and 20 from sets and 54 points per game would get us a win in every game but 1.
If you employ player rules every player thinks that they should shoot it.

Reply #890790 | Report this post

BigD  
Two years ago

After breaking down numerous game tapes at VC/National level for U14s.
Realistically the average 3pt percentage is 20% with some of your best shooting teams pushing 25% in games.

FG% is around 40% on average, and FT% is great if you're just above the 50% mark.

Reply #890793 | Report this post

HighIQ  
Two years ago

Those percentages are horrible who training these kids shooting those low numbers.

Reply #890795 | Report this post

Dave Q  
Two years ago

Depends on the kid. Good shooters have bad nights, so if they are missing on good looks then so be it. But if you have a kid that hasn't shown anything in training/scrimmages and still hoists them up, then a chat about shot selection might be necessary... :)

Reply #890797 | Report this post

Kanga  
Two years ago

Thanks all.

BigD - that is v interesting / helpful, and not too far off what I would have guessed based on watching higher grades. Problem is that if you are shooting 1/5 you are probably turning the ball over a fair bit. I think there is value in saying to the players that X, Y and Z are our people from 3 and unless you have a really good look, don't. Bit of a balance, but if you don’t be directive then a kid who is not a great outside shooter sees other kids peppering then they will also join in, and it just compounds.

Reply #890821 | Report this post

hoopie  
Two years ago

I tend to tell my kids that if they're not hitting the ring by the second attempt or scoring by the fourth then they should forget about shooting those shots for a while. If it’s during the game, they should wait until the next half PROVIDED they’ve worked out why they were missing.
That’s a bit simplistic because it doesn’t take into account the environment they’re shooting in - shooting under pressure versus unguarded, kind of thing - but if they’re shooting poor shots because they’re under pressure then they shouldn’t really be shooting at all. Regardless, they need to learn to self-diagnose why they’re missing, and then do something about it.

I had one kid recently who kept taking off-balance 3’s and missing. I benched him twice to point out that he was just giving the ball to the other team after most of his misses, and that it was hurting our team to take them. He didn’t change his behaviour (because he was trying to outdo some guys on the other team), so ended up spending the last quarter on the bench. I didn’t want to do it, but better to have 1 pissed off kid and parents than 7 sets of them.

Reply #890830 | Report this post

SixersFan  
Two years ago

Do this drill:

Each player has a partner. 1 shoots, the other rebounds. Do this for 3:30 minutes. Make sure they aren't standing at the same spot for every shot. Then they swap it over.

If a player can't hit at least 10 3's then they don't have the license to shoot a 3 during the game. Gives them something to aim for as well as a specific rule team rule.

Reply #890838 | Report this post

sixtiesrockstar  
Two years ago

Everything all depends on the shot taken and circumstances. At junior level I see a lot of kids throw up 3ptrs when they are completely wide open. At this level I believe this is a bad decision, as they have a lot of space and could take oner or two dribbles closer for a higher percentage shot or even attack the basket for layup or dish to another player. Yet I see the same kids take these shots repeatedly with lack of success.

Reply #892799 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:42 am, Wed 17 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754