curtley
Two years ago

NBL Games Monday, Tuesday Wednesday

This past Monday the JJ's ascent to the GF was the number one sport story on FTA sport coverage (as it certainly should've been).

However had this game been on a Weekend or even a Thursday it almost certainly wouldn't have been.

Anyone else think the NBL needs to put more games on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday so at the very least mainstream sport outlets give more space to it over the first three working days, opposed to a 20 second plug which NBL usually gets mid-season? As a TV viewer i'd prefer games on these days as well and rarely watch weekend games that aren't on at night.

Topic #50045 | Report this topic

Anonymightymouse  
Two years ago

When TV income props the clubs up more than memberships and ticket sales, you will get more weeknight games. Until then, the spectator is king.

Reply #891406 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

Love Monday night games, though I'm happy to watch games every night of the week.

Reply #891409 | Report this post

Ben  
Two years ago

Mon-Thurs games are generally poorly patronised in most venues. Traffic woes getting to games, spectators hesitant to bring children re being a school night.

No thanks I say. Good if you're a hoops buff who wants to watch NBL multiple times per week. Sucks for people who actually want to go to the game.

Reply #891410 | Report this post

RobT  
Two years ago

Ben, your points are legit, but why not allow games every night, live or on tv, and only patronise what you want. Let others do what they want.
Noone is suggesting one OR the other.
As for only buffs will watch every gsme you're right but what if your team does not have a weekend game but a Tuesday game instead, and if you had kids in schoo, wgould you not watch it on tv?

Reply #891468 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

This past Monday the JJ's ascent to the GF was the number one sport story on FTA sport coverage (as it certainly should've been).

There is definitely merit in your idea for attracting more media coverage by playing weekday games.

I don't watch free to air news but they generally only cover the local side in terms of NBL coverage. However on Monday night I was at a friend's house and the local Nine News at 6pm was playing on the TV and to my shock during the sports report there was a decent highlights package of TAS-MEL even though it hadn't gone to full time yet (Perth time). I doubt it would have been been mentioned at all on a weekend bulletin.

Reply #891490 | Report this post

KET  
Two years ago

If we are being honest with ourselves - is it earning coverage because it's a weekday or because it’s the Cinderella story leading to a grand final?

I get that during a weekday it’s definitely easier for the Cinderella story to get coverage, but I don’t accept ordinary NBL games would get the same benefit during weekdays.

I think major sports would still get priority such as off-season AFL news or the cricket news during the week. Sad as it is, I think that would be the case.

Reply #891492 | Report this post

koberulz  
Two years ago

Seven Perth gave coverage to both series after game two of Illawarra-Sydney, which would have been Sunday night.

Of course, they also said both series were tied at 1-1.

Reply #891495 | Report this post

Ben  
Two years ago

Rob, you missed my point. I wasn't saying no due to personal preference, I was saying it's a bad idea based on historical attendance figures. If clubs don't reasonably fill out their venues, that's terrible for their bottom line. What's the point in midweek games if they're a guaranteed money vacuum.

Reply #891499 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

Seven Perth gave coverage to both series after game two of Illawarra-Sydney, which would have been Sunday night.

Of course, they also said both series were tied at 1-1.

Haha, classic free to air.

Thinking a bit more about the issue and if I could I'd retract what I wrote above purely because should we really care about FTA news in this day and age? Gone are the days of the majority of people watching at least one nightly bulletin.

Here in Perth the first 15 minutes is basically a daily bogan crime update followed by AFL ("sports") and the weather.

The new TV deal incorporating wider online coverage from News Corp was a good move appropriate to the present.

Reply #891524 | Report this post

AussiePride  
Two years ago

I love having games on most days of the week. Keeps the withdrawal symptoms to a minimum. I don't think it makes any difference on the coverage on Free to Air. It is just a fact that there are too many great stories about the 35th player on an AFL list having a sore calf.

Reply #891533 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:46 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754