Screeningnick
Two years ago

Game 3: Kings vs Jackjumpers

Jaylen Adams remains out for Sydney.

Huge late outs for Tassie with Jack McVeigh & Krslovic both out - I assume it has to be Covid?

Topic #50065 | Report this topic

Dunkman  
Two years ago

McVeigh and Krislovic out makes it near impossible for JJs , it was nearly impossible anyway.
Sydney by twenty in second gear.

Reply #891943 | Report this post

EmBee  
Two years ago

Such a shame about the withdrawals. Obviously near impossible for JJ's now.

And just in general, a shame that for this game with such a big crowd in person and likely on TV too, that there's a chance it won't be that close/exciting, and while the Kings can in all likelihood get this done handily without Adams, a shame that the moment won't have an event performance from him.

Reply #891944 | Report this post

Wang whipper  
Two years ago

Reply #891945 | Report this post

Wang whipper  
Two years ago

JJs doing well so far

Reply #891947 | Report this post

SmallieBiggs  
Two years ago

JJs nothing to lose here. Playing loose and free.

Reply #891949 | Report this post

Wang whipper  
Two years ago

Cooks is going to be the difference maker

Reply #891951 | Report this post

koberulz  
Two years ago

What's the point of the coach's challenge?

Reply #891952 | Report this post

LV  
Two years ago

Wow 10/22 3s and 1 TO at the half JJs

Whatever happens in the 2nd half they've earned huge respect tonight and all season

Reply #891954 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

I'm proud of these JackJumpers. Want heart.

Reply #891956 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

I'm proud of these JackJumpers. What heart.

Reply #891957 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Two years ago

Yes, (Boti Nagy wrote that it's the greatest story ever told)

Reply #891958 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

http://www.botinagy.com/blog/the-greatest-nbl-story-ever-told/

Reply #891959 | Report this post

LV  
Two years ago

16,149 people and it sounded like a library for most of the first half

Typical Sydneysiders

Reply #891963 | Report this post

Ben  
Two years ago

Just picked up the game. McVeigh and Krslovic covid outs?

Reply #891965 | Report this post

AussiePride  
Two years ago

Magette being murdered on that last Ian Clark shot

Reply #891966 | Report this post

LV  
Two years ago

Cooks should get ejected for that

Sure, there wasn't a whole lot of contact, but he kicked an opponent. Twice!

Entitled, overpaid brats playing in front of bandwagon fans....ugh.

Reply #891967 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

Yes Cooks kicking magette and then second kick and they never even reviewed.

Reply #891968 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Two years ago

Much like last season, the underdogs gave it everything but really never stood a chance.

Congrats Kings. Too good.

Outstanding season by the JJs to defy all expectations until the final week.

Reply #891969 | Report this post

koberulz  
Two years ago

Well that was the worst grand final series since...last year's. Which was worse than the year before that, which was worse than the year before that...

Reply #891970 | Report this post

Boba Fett  
Two years ago

Courageous efforts by the Jackies in their first season. Represented the state proudly. Certainly exceeded my expectations. #Outstanding

Reply #891971 | Report this post

hoopie  
Two years ago

Sydney too strong, and they knew how to close it out.

Full credit to the JJs though for keeping it close.

Reply #891972 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

Congratulations to the kings, I had them as winners from a about a third way through.

JJs should be very happy with their season, fought it out to the end.

Hopefully next season starts on time and goes smoothly.

Reply #891973 | Report this post

koberulz  
Two years ago

Is it time to revisit best of five? When it's a sweep half the time anyway, it's pretty pointless.

Reply #891974 | Report this post

AussiePride  
Two years ago

Have to play 5 games for the conspiracy theorists on here. If a series ever actually went to 5 their theory that the result is rigged to get more revenue for the NBL would be proven. They would have no problem ignoring all previous finals results.

Reply #891976 | Report this post

Screeningnick  
Two years ago

Why no speech from Buford or even Cooks? Yet Steindl gets one. Man that was a bad presentation.

Reply #891977 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Two years ago

Cooks gave a speech. You probably just mistook it for your neighbour's dog barking

Reply #891980 | Report this post

Ballman  
Two years ago

Great effort from the kings. As a cats fan I really appreciated watching a team that played with intensity , passion and a really entertaining style of basketball.

Well done to Sydney.

Reply #891981 | Report this post

koberulz  
Two years ago

I'm not in the same room as the TV anymore because I have zero interest in watching godawful pieces of trash accept championships, but I thought I heard Buford?

Reply #891982 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Two years ago

Good to hear from Buford that the Kings were under the cap

Reply #891983 | Report this post

Screeningnick  
Two years ago

Cooks got a last minute speech when half the crowd was leaving.

Buford didn't get a speech only a TV interview. Poor form NBL.

Reply #891984 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Two years ago

Man so great man. Did it for the dawgs man woowooowowoo

Reply #891985 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

Cooks was supposed to speak and left the stage and said he say something later. I'm glad it was last because it wasn’t that good.

Buford said kings under cap, lmao. Maker #4 should be front and centre of every nbl side if he stays in Australia.

Reply #891986 | Report this post

EmBee  
Two years ago

The problem for the NBL I think with 3 v 5 games is retaining casual attention. Three games is perfect for that - sweeps aren't great (and 2-0 in a best-of-three especially), but 1-1 heading into a game 3 is the right amount of time, right amount of games, right amount of drama to keep media/casual interest, given that those elements are still pretty low in Australia. Five games is a lot of time to retain all of that in the market at the moment.

Obviously for real basketball fans the more games the better, and obviously ultimately the NBL would love to be in a situation where there's a series between two major markets (at the moment this would be some combo of Sydney/Melbourne/Perth) with max arenas and max media interest and max tv audience etc etc all the way through. Hopefully that's just a matter of 'when'.

Reply #891987 | Report this post

koberulz  
Two years ago

I mean, since they reintroduced best-of-five in 2017 there's been one genuinely competitive series. They've played four or more games just twice. It's a waste of everyone's time.

Reply #891988 | Report this post

LV  
Two years ago

Some of you watched the speeches? I couldn't stomach it. Off with 20 seconds left.

Well done Sydney though- very few teams have swept through the playoffs. It's an exclusive club they've joined.

But JJ's are the story of the season for mine. The best sporting fairytale I've seen in many years.

And Adams- MVP of the playoffs. Bring him back!

Reply #891989 | Report this post

LV  
Two years ago

[I mean, since they reintroduced best-of-five in 2017 there's been one genuinely competitive series.]

What sort of nonsense post is this

2018 was epic

2019 was tight over the first two, and Perth took over games 3 and 4

2020, you got the sense, would've gone to the end of the 4th quarter in Game 5 if Covid (or the Kings players) had allowed

2021 Was a sweep. But Perth fought valiantly and remained competitive despite missing 3 or 4 players. This should be excluded from any fair analysis.

2022 United were really the most deserving Grand Final Opponent for Sydney. I say this with full respect for the JJs, but when CG43 goes down on Game day and you win by 3 points, be very grateful. Again, a weird circumstance.

And, even though Sydney swept the playoffs- 4 of the 5 games were very competitive and went down to the last minute or two. Hardly a completely one-sided affair.

Reply #891990 | Report this post

Dave Q  
Two years ago

I love it. The hate on this forum for the Kings lives on. A 13 game winning streak, an all-time grand final crowd record, and a sweep without the regular season MVP. Still the hate on here.

hoops.com.au, take a bow, you have out-done yourself this time.

Reply #891994 | Report this post

koberulz  
Two years ago

The JackJumpers last year and Wildcats this year were never going to win the title. They didn't win a game. Doesn't matter how close they got in any particular contest, at the end of the day we went into game one knowing who the champions were going to be.

Perth pulled away from Melbourne over the course of the series. Best-of-three it would've been a tighter contest but best-of-five Melbourne weren't in it.

2018 is literally the only year it's been genuinely competitive. Once in five years isn't enough.

Reply #891995 | Report this post

koberulz  
Two years ago

I love it. The hate on this forum for the Kings lives on. A 13 game winning streak, an all-time grand final crowd record, and a sweep without the regular season MVP. Still the hate on here.

hoops.com.au, take a bow, you have out-done yourself this time.
I like how your attempts to dissuade people of the notion the Kings are insufferable assholes consist entirely of being an insufferable asshole. Let's see how that works out for you.

Reply #891996 | Report this post

LV  
Two years ago

[The JackJumpers last year and Wildcats this year were never going to win the title. They didn't win a game. Doesn't matter how close they got in any particular contest, at the end of the day we went into game one knowing who the champions were going to be.]

But again that's because of injuries. Perth in the GF and United in Game 3 of the SF.

Perth in 2021 and United in 2022 may well have challenged for the title. The result wouldn't have necessarily been a foregone conclusion if the best challenger was healthy.

This has nothing to do with the format.

[Perth pulled away from Melbourne over the course of the series. Best-of-three it would've been a tighter contest but best-of-five Melbourne weren't in it.]

We didn't know that until game 4. After game 2, United would've been a (very slight) favourite. As they were before the series (about $1.85 to $1.95 or thereabouts).

[2018 is literally the only year it's been genuinely competitive. Once in five years isn't enough.]

2020 was a "genuinely competitive" series in anyone's book. It gave every indication of going the distance.

Reply #891998 | Report this post

Dave Q  
Two years ago

@KR - bring it. I feel like you have much more form on this very forum of being an 'insufferable asshole'.

Go the Kings!

...and BTW, being Australian, it is 'arsehole'. And you can stick your asterix straight up there! :)

Reply #891999 | Report this post

EmBee  
Two years ago

Separately, the NBA is also having an event in Sydney tonight (why a few characters like Homicide are absent/silent from the game), and I noticed they have another one in Sydney in July, with one of the ticket options costing a mere $45,000 (with which, they will fly you to the event in a private jet from anywhere in Australia). How the other half/league lives, I suppose.

Reply #892000 | Report this post

Wang whipper  
Two years ago

LOL at the butthurt posters.

Reply #892001 | Report this post

koberulz  
Two years ago

2020 was a "genuinely competitive" series in anyone's book. It gave every indication of going the distance.
It wasn't finished, though, so it can't exactly be counted. I'm not counting it as a close one, but I'm not counting it as a non-close one either. There have been six best-of-fives since they changed the format: one close, one lopsided, three one-sided, and a DNF.

Perth pulled away from Melbourne over the course of the series. Best-of-three it would've been a tighter contest but best-of-five Melbourne weren't in it.]

We didn't know that until game 4.
So if it was best of three it would have gone down as a competitive series, but because it's best of five it didn't? That's my point.

Reply #892002 | Report this post

LV  
Two years ago

[Perth in the GF and United in Game 3 of the SF.]

Sorry, Perth had most of those injuries in the SF too didnt they. But won anyway

Still, point stands

Reply #892003 | Report this post

koberulz  
Two years ago

And you can stick your asterix straight up there!
You're going to nitpick my spelling and then bring up "asterix", which isn't even a word? Okay then.

Reply #892004 | Report this post

AngusH  
Two years ago

JJs definitely the story of the season. Adams was absolutely phenomenal the last two games, fun to watch. Great to see so many Tassie fans in the crowd also, and they made a lot of noise, full credit to them.

Just going to enjoy this one for now though, what a season.

Reply #892005 | Report this post

Dave Q  
Two years ago

Ah @KR. I asked you to bring it and you are getting me on spelling.

Very disappointing.

KINGS!

Reply #892006 | Report this post

LV  
Two years ago

[There have been six best-of-fives since they changed the format: one close, one lopsided, three one-sided, and a DNF.]

2017- one sided

2018- close

2019 - in between

2021 and 2022 should be excluded

It was obvious that the 2nd and 3rd best teams weren't in the GF this year. Again, full respect to JJ's.

Last year Perth was massively undermanned. It happens.

We shouldn't make decisions based on small sample sizes.

What about 2004? 2008? 2009? All epic series. 2004- the Ebi Ere series.

2008 - game 3 decided on a game winner with a few seconds left. And game 5 went down to the wire.

2009 - Game 5 was one sided but it still went to 5

2006 was a bit like 2021 in that Roland Roberts was out, which made it hard for Sydney, but still very competitive

Your argument falls apart as soon as you expand the sample size

Reply #892007 | Report this post

LV  
Two years ago

Obviously 2007 Bullets were dominant

But with series like 2004, 2008, 2009, 2018, 2020 (if it had finished) I can't see how anybody could even argue for a return to Best of 3!

Sure, there's commercial considerations- season length, etc etc. But from a pure basketball perspective, a great best of 5 is better than a great best of 3.

And there's been enough great best of 5s to justify it. Clearly.

Reply #892008 | Report this post

koberulz  
Two years ago

Yes, if you arbitrarily exclude the one-sided grand finals, there aren't as many one-sided grand finals. Well done you.

Reply #892009 | Report this post

koberulz  
Two years ago

Game five in 2009 was a massive flop because they tried to squeeze too many games into too short a period of time. You're making my point for me here.

Reply #892010 | Report this post

LV  
Two years ago

[Game five in 2009 was a massive flop because they tried to squeeze too many games into too short a period of time. You're making my point for me here.]

That's not true- every game was won by the Home Team. And every game was a comfortable win, except Game 2 at The Cage

Dragons were just unbeatable at Hisense that year- I don't think Tigers got close to them at Hisense either in the season, or in the Finals

There were 4 games in 9 days, but the fact is, it was a better series than it would've been, had it been best of 3.

The build up, the rivalry, was huge- and you'll notice Game 5 had the biggest crowd of all- 8,922 which at that stage of the NBL was massive

If you think 2009 is an argument for best of 3 then you're clearly not capable of a reasonable discussion on the issue

Reply #892012 | Report this post

Senator11  
Two years ago

Good effort JJ's, just low IQ basketball at the end of games, can't do that against a team as deep as the Kings. Big games from the stars on both sides, Adams need to find the opponent team-mate instead of chucking up every shot with 3 defenders on him.

Disappointed in Cooks resorting to a fair bit of dirty play against the smaller Maggette, a few kicks, sling to the ground and an elbow that resulted in Cooks somehow getting free throws. Maggette was being a pest, but he was doing it all legally.

Reply #892013 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Two years ago

2004 - Sydney d West Sydney 3-2
2005 - Sydney d Wollongong 3-0
2006 - Melbourne d Sydney 3-0
2007 - Brisbane d Melbourne 3-1
2008 - Melbourne d Sydney 3-2
2009 - South Dragons d Melbourne 3-2

2017 - Perth d Illawarra 3-0
2018 - Melbourne d Adelaide 3-2
2019 - Perth d Melbourne 3-1
2020 - Perth d Sydney 2-1*
2021 - Melbourne d Perth 3-0
2022 - Sydney d Tasmania 3-0

The first six were definitely better series than the last six (or five) but I wouldn't like to see the GF go back to best of 3, best of 5 feels just right and has the potential to exploit some great match ups like we saw from 2004-09.

Reply #892014 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Two years ago

I was half-watching the game at work and didn't realize that the JJs were without McVeigh and Krslovic. The effort they put on tonight to make a game of it was actually amazing and you cant give the Jack Jumpers enough credit for the way they've handled this entire season. One season in and they've already got a culture. They should be on the phone to Josh Adams agent by tomorrow morning. I'd be looking to keep as much of that team together as possible.

Sydney were by far the most talented team this season but that isn't always enough to get it done. Obviously they worked well as a team and played their roles, and they got the rings in the end. All the more credit to them

You'd have to think Cooks is now a shoe in for a World Cup spot after what he put in this season. he might be the most versatile player in the league, let alone just Aussie.

Reply #892015 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

The 2004 and 2008 Grand Final series were epic five gamers. It really has been a while since we've had one.

Hopefully we can add to the list next year.

Reply #892016 | Report this post

LV  
Two years ago

5 sweeps in 12 series is an unusually high number. I would expect over a longer timeframe- 20 or 30 years, that would reduce as a proportion

Both 3-1 series were disappointing too, with game 4 won comfortably on the opposition's floor. I was at both games.

But the thing is, most of those sweep years, well, a 3-0 sweep just adds one game. This year was kinda boring but I still enjoyed it. But a good 3-2 series with momentum swings and close games throughout- like 2008 or 2018, is just epic. (I was also at Game 3 of 2008 in Sydney, and Game 5 2018 in Melbourne- brilliant!)

In other words, as a generalization:

2-0 is *slightly* better than 3-0

But 3-2 is *massively* better than 2-1

Therefore, it makes no sense to sacrifice the best of 5 to improve the spectacle

Reply #892017 | Report this post

Cram  
Two years ago

Well done Kings. I watched a total of 58.9 seconds of their season, but they didnt miss a shot in that time, so I'm sure they deserved it. Good to see a record crowd there too.

Reply #892027 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Two years ago

"Both 3-1 series were disappointing too, with game 4 won comfortably on the opposition's floor. I was at both games."

Disappointing to someone who barracked for the losing team, sure, but both produced some highly-entertaining basketball. Glad they were five game series.

Reply #892028 | Report this post

Saint23  
Two years ago

fun time over
guess none of the imports are returning and maybe Cook

Adam is going to want cotton money
Martin after winning a ring might try europe for more money

Reply #892039 | Report this post

LV  
Two years ago

They just need to focus on keeping a strong Aussie core, locked in long term.

That means Cooks, Vasiljevic, Jordan Hunter and Swaka Lo Buluk. And of course Next Star Maker for as long as possible.

Then splash that Smith cash on 3 quality imports each year and they're bound to remain right up there.

Reply #892042 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

I can see DJ getting a Spanish team offer that will be to good to refuse. Cooks possibly nba, game doesn't suit the more structured euro, kings marquee more than likely. I could see Clarke staying, Martin I think will have another crack at nba, fantastic three point shooter and defensively far better than he was last season. Adams, again like DJ big euro contract though might prefer to stay in Australia for less coin. Maker was a total surprise, if staying in Australia will command very good money. Smith and his fellow owners don’t mind spending it so could be prepared to pay the tax.

Reply #892043 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Two years ago

"Cooks possibly nba, game doesn't suit the more structured euro"

He's played in Europe previously and done well.

Reply #892045 | Report this post

JJ  
Two years ago

What happened to Kenyon played 5mins in game 3. Has average good minutes during there run. Injury? Out of favour with coach? Or others playing better?

Reply #892047 | Report this post

Green ant  
Two years ago

Roth said post game that Kenyon was recovering from the flu that went through the team and he was shocked he made it on court at all. Also said Perry had spent 6 days in bed prior to game 3.

Puts even more perspective into how well they played last.

DPs Deans and MacDonald also were called up after playing nbl1 on the weekend.

Reply #892048 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

Cooks is a lot different player to when he was Europe, it was his first professional contract. He did ok, nothing like the season he's just had.

Reply #892053 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Two years ago

McDaniel was the same as Kenyon. JJ's did a fantastic job under the circumstances

Reply #892054 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Two years ago

"Cooks is a lot different player to when he was Europe, it was his first professional contract."

Correct. He had a really good season over there, and would go even better now. I personally think he will be Kings or NBA next season though.

Reply #892064 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Two years ago

https://nbl.com.au/news/nba-on-cooks-agenda

Reply #892065 | Report this post

LV  
Two years ago

He needs to improve his shooting to be a serious chance at the NBA.

Interestingly if you look at his stats, he was a serviceable outside shooter in Germany and College.

Reply #892068 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:27 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754