TaipansTragic
Two years ago

Special Restricted Player Prospects #NBL23

Any news about players eligible in this category, that NBL teams might be looking to bring in? I'm assuming Melbourne are keeping Baba next season, Dwight Ramos caught my eye when he suited up for the Phillipines, could he classify as an SRP? Can someone that follows basketball in Asia, list some players that might be worth a look at under the SRP rule?

Topic #50094 | Report this topic

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

Ramos signed in b league

Reply #892591 | Report this post

Stevy  
Two years ago

I will only list players who are available and have not signed contracts.

Korea

Hyunjung Lee (SRP)
Jun Seok Yeo (SRP DP)

Philippines

Carl Tamayo (SRP)
Lebron Lopez (SRP DP)

Indonesia

Derrick Micheal (SRP DP)

KSA

Mohammed ALSUWAILEM (SRP DP)

Lebanon

Yousef Khayat (SRP)

Reply #892592 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

Hopefully a few of those guys, Lopez probably too early.

Surely lee would be high up on the list to get as a srp.

Reply #892624 | Report this post

NBLTigers  
Two years ago

Sadly Middle East countries don't count as special restricted players. NBL should list the exact countries on their website, it’s very confusing because now Guam are counted as imports. NBL use to have Oceania rule when Wesley use to play for New Zealand and Melbourne.

From what I heard it’s China, India, Japan and Philippines. Guessing Southeast Asian countries are included as SRP.

Reply #892629 | Report this post

Stevy  
Two years ago

@NBLTigers

Wow, the NBL should include countries from West Asia and the Middle East. It's sad that countries are limited. Sure, there are Team A players from China, Japan, and the Philippines that can be decent in the NBL, but there is too much money being offered to them. Zhou Qi was an exception (conflict with the CBA team).

Who knows? Maybe some players in that region, like Al Dwairi (Jordan/Febernache) or Arakji (Lebanon), etc would bite.

Reply #892633 | Report this post

Aussie  
Two years ago

How popular is Fanbo Zeng in China?

Wonder whether the NBL would have a chance at getting him

Reply #892641 | Report this post

NBLTigers  
Two years ago

It's a shame. More international exposure is better for the league.

Once there’s more teams the league needs to go with 4 imports per team, only when the league has 12 to 15 teams. Unless expand SRP into West Asia rather then my commonwealth idea as the 4th import spot.

Reply #892642 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Two years ago

Most recent list I've seen of countries included under the SRP arrangements was from 2021 (https://spatialjam.com/contracttracker)

"An overseas player from any of the following countries: China, Philippines, Taiwan, India, South Korea, Singapore, Japan."

Stevy - not sure if you're aware but the SRP countries have been selected based on capacity to "attract players from 'large viewership markets' in the geographic region in order to promote the league internationally." (ibid.)

I expect countries in the Middle East generally wouldn't meet that criterion. West Asian countries might but probably don't have players of a high enough standard? I don't follow international basketball so I'm guessing about their standard.

Reply #892644 | Report this post

Stevy  
Two years ago

@PeterJohn

Oh, I see. In terms of viewership, West Asian countries won't be able to provide the same viewership quotas as a Chinese player, but they do have a few standout players that, in my opinion, would be at least decent contributors.

In the past for example, I think guys like Haddadi, Bahrami, and El Khatib on their prime would be good NBL players. Right now there are some names, like Al-Dwairi, etc., who would contribute right now.  

The only West Asian country I think that could match the passion of the Philippines, China, etc. would be Lebanon, and they do have some players (Arakji, Khayat) that could contribute, but then again, Lebanon is a mess right now financially.

Reply #892645 | Report this post

NBLTigers  
Two years ago

Australia has a few Lebanese living in Sydney and Melbourne. Qatar use to have some decent players in the early 2000's when they won the Asia Cup.

Lebanese would be the smartest choice if the nbl wanted to include West Asian country.

Reply #892647 | Report this post

curtley  
Two years ago

If a genuine superstar comes out of Guam or Pakistan that shows interest in the NBL im pretty sure the rules will change.

Reply #892740 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:18 pm, Thu 18 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754