Sir_Bastian
Two years ago

36ers sign Anthony Drmic

Very interesting signing. I thought i was reading a post from years ago.

Thoughts?

Topic #50099 | Report this topic

Master Chief  
Two years ago

Maybe the back up plan to missing out on Blanchfield?

I was surprised he was 30 already?

Reply #892746 | Report this post

Sir_Bastian  
Two years ago

I dont mind the signing.
Most of his stats increased during his time in Brissy. Will fill out the team well.

It all comes down to our imports (possibly Casper Ware)

And whats happening with Humphries? we have to be moving on from him?

Reply #892748 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Two years ago

I think Adelaide have to take a chance with Humphries. When you consider he's the only really gettable marquee type player Adelaide can likely get, I can just forsee him going to a club like Melbourne or Sydney and making them better. I know he has missed basically both seasons he's been here, but I think it's a risk worth taking when you consider that Adelaide probably won't be able to find an equivalent replacement.

I can understand if they moved on from him or the other way round, then it gives them an opportunity to just pair DJ with a defensive minded, solid but unspectacular type big and maybe have Bairstow as a do it all big off the bench?

I just think it would be a shame if Adelaide were the team to originally pull of the Humphries signing and then it turns out he just makes one of the richer clubs stronger.

Adelaide have pulled off big signings before, but if they lose Humphries they won't be able to replace him with an equivalent.

But i do understand the risk, and I understand fans who would disagree and also the clubs or Humphries desire to cut ties.

Reply #892751 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Two years ago

Humphries gawn. Mutual thang. Reckon I heard CJ on radio a coupla weeks ago
"his future will be another NBL team or overseas' cj said.
I kinda like Drimic

Reply #892753 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Two years ago

I welcome this development it's not so much that Drmic is a star player but he brings energy and is always trying to make something happen something we've missed since both his and McVeigh's departures. Plus he needs to be respected outside because he can get hot, once in a blue moon, which frees things up for the bigs. Very nice signing welcome back Dr. Mic.

Now speaking of the bigs I can't believe some people are still talking about wanting Humphries back he's a lost cause, we blew $400k a year over the last two years on him and got a good start to the first third of the first season. The last 5/6 of those two seasons he was either out injured or playing averagely.

That kind of money is basically the beginning of superstar level money and the guy was an absolute bust these past two seasons. He's no superstar even when occasionally healthy so if he thinks he can get similar money elsewhere good luck with that.

Reply #892755 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Two years ago

How did his numbers drop so dramatically this year? I didn't watch Brisbane play at all.
42% from the field down from 46%
30% from 3 down from 33%
49% free throw down from 79% (!!!)
7.42ppg down from 10.12

Pretty concerning signs from someone who only just turned 30

Reply #892757 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

Humphries on less 100k good signing, more your wasting money.

Drimic not convinced, not great at either end, serviceable though.

Reply #892758 | Report this post

Pablo Escobar  
Two years ago

Wow....recycle an injury prone 30 year old. Well done Sixers, true to form.

Reply #892759 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Two years ago

Given the Bullets pulled Franks out of their backsides I think him gobbling up a lot of the offence might explain that, Patterson was still there too despite Sobey's absence, there are only so many shots to go around.

The 46% FT looks terrible at face value but he was only attempting one FT a game so not even worth mentioning and Drmic does occasionally get the yips from the FT line.

Reply #892760 | Report this post

Hermann  
Two years ago

Welcume back to the Dr Mic...great returning.. gained valuable experience in Brissbane and will be invaluable to sixers. Hard nosed. Intense love it.. expecting stellar season.

Reply #892762 | Report this post

koberulz  
Two years ago

How did his numbers drop so dramatically this year? I didn't watch Brisbane play at all.
42% from the field down from 46%
30% from 3 down from 33%
49% free throw down from 79% (!!!)
7.42ppg down from 10.12
Per 36 minutes, he averaged 4.7 of 11.4 from the field, 1.7 of 5.7 from three, for 12.4 points.

Last season, per 36: 5.4 of 11.8, 1.9 of 5.7 from three, for 14.9 points.

That's not a "dramatic drop", it's just missing one extra shot every two games, while also taking one less shot every two games, dropping his average by one shot per game. One out of every five of those misses was a three.

Those numbers are essentially identical, he's just playing less minutes.

Reply #892764 | Report this post

KET  
Two years ago

I feel like if CJ goes run & gun, Dech and Drmic off the bench would be able to capitalise with their shooting.

I think an import PG and an import SG or SF - depending on where you put McCarron, would be a reasonable 5 man rotation for PG/SG/SF positions.

Reply #892765 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Two years ago

Interestingly with this signing the NBL are now no longer listing Mojave King as returning which they were at that start of FA.

If King is returning no need for an import SF but if as now looks likely he isn't then the option there. Drmic signed a 2 year deal, second year mutual option so could only end up being a 1 year deal, I'm not sure Drmic would be coming back to come off the bench as he was a starter at the Bullets.

Reply #892766 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

So many punters talk points, defence wins games, kings won this season because they got there defence sorted. Perth under Gleeson played defence, all Vickerman sides play defence, it does not mean you win every season but you play finals. I'll add JJs this season to that. No point scoring twenty if you let in more than you score. As I said previously, not sold on this signing but at the right price could end up useful. I don’t believe he is a starter in a winning team.

Reply #892767 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Two years ago

He shouldn't be a starter on a winning team but Sixers likely won't be winning next season especially with DJ back.

Reply #892768 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Two years ago

I think you can take a gamble on either Bairstow or Humphries but not both. We had both of our main big men out for most of the season and it really hurt us. I'd be more inclined to look at an import big if there are any decent ones on the table. It's one thing to say we may not get a Humphries-level Aussie but how many times we gonna pay big money to a guy who just isn't playing?

Reply #892769 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Two years ago

Is there significant playing opportunities for Drmic at the Sixers?

We will likely get an import starting guard (be it a 1 or 2), then there are McCarron, Dech and Duffelmeier.

I get that Drmic can play some spot minutes at the 3 but I am thinking he can axpect even less minutes next season (provided injuries don't change the roster).

Reply #892770 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Two years ago

"Interestingly with this signing the NBL are now no longer listing Mojave King as returning which they were at that start of FA.

If King is returning no need for an import SF but if as now looks likely he isn't then the option there."

This is good news and in light of this I totally support the Drmic signing. He's an upgrade on that overrated kid every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Reply #892771 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Two years ago

I'm not upset about King looking like he's not coming back either he's not remotely up to it just another misfire from the NBL hype machine.

To me I think we can pencil in Drmic as the starting SF next season he's just not going to opt out his contract with the Bullets where he was a starter to sign with us potentially only for one year to come off of the bench.

I'm comfortable with that as we have a very ordinary record with import SF's anyway Withers, Crocker, Moore etc. Better to sign a known quantity with reduced fan expectations to perform.

Bairstow coming back would be okay at the right price but I doubt that's going to happen again with DJ returning and I suspect the relationship between the club and Humphries isn't too great. When Humphries was ruled out injured for the rest of last season he supposedly left Adelaide and moved back home to Sydney. Which isn't good in-season plus when we played the Kings in Sydney towards the end of the season he wasn't there sitting on our bench.

Reply #892772 | Report this post

Shano76  
Two years ago

So how do we think the roster looks?
I hope we get 3 imports- maybe a pg, and two bigs?
I guess depends on what role they have Mccarron playing. I think we can safely say Humphries won't be back. Bairstow?
Someone smarter than me can do a roster breakdown. I guess our success will depend on import quality.

Reply #892773 | Report this post

Isaac  
Two years ago

I never understood the King interest. Didn't seem like a strong prospect before the 36ers or once in Adelaide.

There's a bit of risk that Drmic is another middling option for a team that needs someone to take over games, but if King and others are moved on, there'd be room for him. He's a committed player when I'm not sure you can say the same about others.

You'd offer Humphries something but not lose sleep over him otherwise. Just hasn't been healthy enough.

Reply #892775 | Report this post

Pablo Escobar  
Two years ago

Here's an idea Sixers, how about you take a long term look to the future just for once? The club desperately needs a vision rather than lurching from free agency to free agency year after year recycling the same old players. This signing is not going to get bums on seats, just more of the same old crap where people have zero interest in watching blow ins.

Reply #892776 | Report this post

Hanging Round  
Two years ago

Agree with Masterchief-- after so much time and money invested in Humphries for very limited return, we would hate to see him fill some potential and come back to bite on the arse.
Perhaps he has some loyalty/'respect' for the club that forked out big bucks and feel that he owes the club something

Reply #892777 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Two years ago

Drmic is a bad signing. Just like H Froling the guy is a cancer. There is a reason he was let go in the first place.

Reply #892778 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Two years ago

I've never heard of Drmic being referred to as a cancer unlike H. Froling. Drmic was always said to be highly paid at the Sixers and perhaps under-delivered previously relative to that which might be why they didn't try and keep him in 2020. Other factors like the Joey Wright era ending and the Bullets offering him a 3 year deal probably factored in to it too.

Reply #892779 | Report this post

KET  
Two years ago

I'm not sure Adelaide can afford to have Drmic starting, let alone ahead of Dech. Having his shooting capability back would be good though.

If Adelaide struggle to find a starting SF import, put McCarron there. If they don’t have the money for 3 imports and want a guard and PF import, then slide Dech to the starting lineup.

How come Sotto is still listed when they’ve said goodbye? Is it a "if he doesn’t get drafted he’ll be back" thing?

Reply #892781 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Two years ago

It may only be a technicality but Sotto is still under contract with the Sixers, he signed a 2 year deal with an option for a third year. But as you said he gave a 'farewell' to the club at the end of the season which suggests he likely won't be returning regardless if he gets drafted or not.

Bit of a shame really if that turns out to be the case I thought he started to make real progress showing potential especially towards the end of the season.

Reply #892782 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Two years ago

Brisbane didn't exercise their option. Generally that says something. Brisbane had terrible chemistry issues in the second half of the season. First let go, sort of sends a message

Reply #892783 | Report this post

Observer  
Two years ago

Good signing he be good for Sixers
Get a fresh of from states,not Randle or aware.
Humphries to go get a tall from free agent list.
Get a SG too don't bring back Hannah's or withers.
Like to see Harrison from bullets

Reply #892784 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Two years ago

According to the NBL it was a mutual option that Drmic declined.

Reply #892785 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:30 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754