Perthworld
Two years ago

Dejan Vasiljevic re-signs with Kings

The Brydens Lawyers Sydney Kings are pleased to announce championship shooting guard Dejan Vasiljevic has re-signed for another three years.

The new deal is for two years with a mutual option on the third year and includes European and NBA outs.

After signing with the Kings to launch his pro career in 2020, DJ has become a much-loved fan favourite and was an integral part of the starting line-up in the NBL22 championship team.

Topic #50110 | Report this topic

Zodiac  
Two years ago

What a surprise, so much for that NBA & EuroLeague interest.

The NBL does itself no favours with all the over-hyping stuff.

Reply #892964 | Report this post

Saint23  
Two years ago

biggest free agent signing so far

Reply #892965 | Report this post

AngusH  
Two years ago

Still has the Euro out for all three years, I personally don't think this is such positive news - yes, if he's in Australia, it will be with the Kings. I still think it's likely he ends up in EU.

Reply #892967 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Two years ago

NBA & Euro out-clauses for good NBL players are pretty standard.

Reply #892968 | Report this post

AngusH  
Two years ago

Are Euro clauses standard? Hear about NBA clauses a lot, but Euro clauses far less.

Reply #892969 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

It depends how much the buy out is, nba just pay if they want you, euro are more circumspect about paying big money for buy outs.

@ Zodiac, yes they over hype the league, still surprised he didn't get a few offers over there, maybe the kings are paying top coin, marquee type money.

Early days for Wetzel in Spain but his stats nowhere near what his nbl stats were. Spain clearly the second best league in the world.

Good signing anyway, has improved his D and he’s a lot more athletic than his physique suggests.

Reply #892973 | Report this post

Mystro  
Two years ago

I think there are often timeframes attached to the euro out clauses as in if they haven't exercised it by a certain date they’re locked in

Reply #892975 | Report this post

AlphabetA  
Two years ago

Zodiac - the signing periods in NBA and Europe are after the signing window in NBL so basically Vasiljevic secured an NBL contract for the next 2-3 years for I believe a far better coin than he was on and will try to lock in a deal in Europe or NBA later. From what I'm hearing there is a genuine interest in Europe but whether it will happen that's a different story. Indeed the money is better in Europe, but players on many occasions don't get paid or get cut without payout so not all rosy.

Most leagues in Europe are about to finish in 2 weeks and then teams will start finalizing the rosters, which should happen by the end of June, rarely goes into July. As Mystro said, the clause is likely valid till then and then he gets locked in as far as Europe is concerned. As for the NBA, the summer league starts early July with camps sometime in September, so I'd think the NBA clause will remain open as long as it's practical. From a marketing point, it is always in the NBL and club's interest to have a player picked by a major league.

Watched him play at DV yesterday and the Kings should take a chance and play him as a point from time to time, with his drives he kept collapsing the defense leaving his teammates wide open. If they converted a half of those looks, he'd have more than 10 assists. Apparently had 8 a night before...

Good luck to him, whatever he decides to do, won't hurt to play another year for Sydney...

Reply #892980 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:51 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754