BeeGee
Two years ago

Tahjere McCall re-signs with Cairns for two years

The CQUniversity Cairns Taipans have announced that Tahjere McCall will be returning to the club on a new two-year agreement, with the American guard committing to Cairns until 2024.

McCall was a standout in the Taipans' 2021-22 campaign, leading the team in scoring (16) assists (5.6) and steals (1.9) per game. He finished the season as the only player in the league to finish in the Top Three for both assists and steals.

The 27-year-old led the Taipans through injury and adversity in his NBL debut and had a remarkable impact to the team on and off the floor.

Head Coach Adam Forde has previously described McCall as the "type of player you build a team around," and said that negotiations with his star import began very early in the year.

“I couldn’t be happier to finally announce that Tahj is coming back - he embodies everything we’re trying to build towards, and we love his work ethic, grit and enjoyment of the game.

“We had a very memorable, positive conversation back in February and we knew that moving forward we could count on Tahj and that he saw his future here in Cairns.

“He’s agreed to a two-year deal which demonstrates that he’s just as invested in this as we are invested in him, which I think is really significant,” said Forde.

“And just as importantly, Tahjere’s best basketball is still yet to come and he’s going to help us win. He’s got that natural born leadership and charisma that makes everyone around him better.”

In his final game of the season, McCall made history as the only NBL player ever in the 40-minute era to have 40+ points and 10+ assists in an unforgettable display against the Bullets, with his 42 points the highest score across the league in 2021-22.

McCall is currently playing for the Otago Nuggets in the New Zealand NBL and will return to Far North Queensland for the Taipans pre-season in late August. McCall joins Keanu Pinder, Bul Kuol, Majok Deng and Mirko Djeric on the roster.

Topic #50114 | Report this topic

BeeGee  
Two years ago

I think McCall had too many turnovers from what I saw when watching, but I think this is a great import singing from the Snakes.

Reply #893022 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

Need a good import point and sf now.

Reply #893026 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Two years ago

Good to see him not go to a richer club and stay in Cairns.

Reply #893028 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

Good pick up, does need to improve the turnovers rapidly though.

Reply #893029 | Report this post

AngusH  
Two years ago

Happy to see him stick around, especially with Cairns. The turnovers came largely from him having to try do too much offensively. If they can get a healthy contributor at PG next to him it will take care of itself.

Reply #893041 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

Tracker leaning towards...

Import-Wigness or Ayre-Healy(dp)
McCall-NS-Djeric
Kuol-Ngatai
Pinder-Deng-Anticevich(dp)
Oliver-Mathiang

Reply #893042 | Report this post

CT  
Two years ago

Nah. Maybe:
Import/Ayre
McCall/NS/Djeric
Kuol/??
Pinder/Deng
Import/Jawai

Or could this be the year that Jawai doesn't come back?

Reply #893046 | Report this post

Saint23  
Two years ago

mangok Mathiang is a starter

Reply #893048 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

No doubt Mathiang could start, they could play oliver at pf, Pinder at c also.

Reply #893049 | Report this post

a5ian nbl fan  
Two years ago

Anticevich to old for dp

Reply #893050 | Report this post

a5ian nbl fan  
Two years ago

Anticevich to old for dp

Reply #893051 | Report this post

a5ian nbl fan  
Two years ago

And Forde said another zimmerman type c doesn't want an oliver type and he's interview kind of ruled noi out from returning to cairns

Reply #893052 | Report this post

Saint23  
Two years ago

Thomas welsh?

Reply #893053 | Report this post

proud  
Two years ago

I'd like to see McCall as a combo guard and Kuol starting in the back court.

If reckon a Lamar Patterson type at SF with Pinder at the 4/5 and a John Mooney rebounding stud (I mean nobody knew how good Mooney was until he started playing here) and they have a fun starting line up.

Djeric and Deng as sparks off the bench seems a great start to me.

Please give up on Jarrod Kenny.

Best of luck Adam Forde, I hope your team stays injury free and focused on the game

Reply #893055 | Report this post

Mystro  
Two years ago

Great signing by the Taipans.
He needs shooters around him to open up the floor but he still needs plenty of time with the ball in his hands but they need to find a balance if they want to cut down on turnovers as last season he had to carry the offense.
He's playing very well in the NZNBL at the moment.

Reply #893062 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:45 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754