XXXX
Two years ago

Classic Teams Announced

BV have published the teams invited to the Classic.

Some associations have done a really amazing job, Casey with 7 teams, Melbourne, Nunawading and Sandringham with 6 and Frankston with 5. Dandenong and Knox must be pretty disappointed with their numbers.

Who are the strong Interstate teams?

2022 KUMON NATIONAL JUNIOR CLASSIC - QUALIFYING TEAMS

UNDER-12 BOYS
Bulleen
Camberwell
Canberra
Casey
Dandenong
Knox
Maffra
North Adelaide
Norths Bears
Norwood
Sandringham
South Adelaide
Sturt
Sydney Comets
Waverley
Westgate

UNDER-12 GIRLS
Bendigo
Bulleen
Camberwell
Canberra
Casey
Forestville
Frankston
Kilsyth
Manly Warringah
McKinnon
Melbourne
Nunawading
Sandringham
South Adelaide
Sturt
West Adelaide

UNDER-14 BOYS
Ballarat
Bendigo
Canberra
Casey
Geelong United
Hills Hornets
Kilsyth
Norths Bears
Norwood
Nunawading
Sandringham
South Adelaide
Sturt
Sydney Comets
Whittlesea
Woodville

UNDER-14 GIRLS
Camberwell
Casey
Diamond Valley
Eastern Mavericks
Frankston
Illawarra
Keilor
Manly Warringah
Melbourne
Norwood
Nunawading
Sandringham
Sturt
Sydney Comets
Warrnambool
West Adelaide

UNDER-16 BOYS
Canberra
Dandenong
Diamond Valley
Forestville
Frankston
Hawthorn
Hills Hornets
Keilor
Kilsyth
Knox
Norths Bears
Norwood
Southern Tigers
Sydney Comets
Waverley
Woodville

UNDER-16 GIRLS
Bankstown Bruins
Canberra
Casey
Dandenong
Eastern Mavericks
Frankston
Geelong United
Hawthorn
Keilor
Korumburra
Melbourne
North Adelaide
Norths Bears
Norwood
Nunawading
West Adelaide

UNDER-18 BOYS
Ballarat
Bulleen
Canberra
Casey
Eastern Mavericks
Geelong United
Hills Hornets
Knox
Manly Warringah
Melbourne
North Adelaide
Norwood
Nunawading
Sandringham
Sturt
Sydney Comets

UNDER-18 GIRLS
Bulleen
Casey
Eastern Mavericks
Forestville
Frankston
Hornsby Ku-ring-gai
Kilsyth
Knox
Manly Warringah
Melbourne
Norths Bears
Norwood
Nunawading
Sandringham
Sturt
West Adelaide

Topic #50115 | Report this topic

+  
Two years ago

great to see it back up and running post COVID

Reply #893083 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

Looking forward to livestream

Reply #893084 | Report this post

HakeemtheDream  
Two years ago

Shame about the gippsland u16 girls.

Reply #893091 | Report this post

William 87  
Two years ago

What happened to Gippsland?

Reply #893095 | Report this post

HakeemtheDream  
Two years ago

Finished on top VJBL Vc pool but not invited

Reply #893105 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Two years ago

Would that be because multiple players from Gippsland playing VC are from Korumburra who won the country champs, so they'll be playing for them instead?

Reply #893108 | Report this post

mexicano  
Two years ago

Issues came up a few years ago with Latrobe Energy's eligibility for Classic. There were no problems until a very strong group of U16 girls went through VC and Classic undefeated, after which it was decided that as a 'combined association’, Energy did not qualify. The Korumburra teams usually involve players from multiple associations, but since the teams are named Korumburra and not ‘South Gippsland’, they can qualify.

Which begs the question, how did the U16 Korumburra girls qualify? Other teams that won country champs missed out because their VC teams are ranked too low, but the Korumburra 16 girls team only plays VJBL1. Most of their players represent them in both Country Champs and Vjbl so I can’t see how this was allowed to happen, and I’d like to think this exception is entirely unrelated to Korumburra’s close connections with BV...

As predicted, the Sale U18 girls will not be at the Classic. I’m sure the girls who also play for Frankston and Casey were glad to have a backup plan for getting to the Classic, but it absolutely sucks for the team who came second. Given that BV operates under one banner these days, surely they can reserve one spot at the Classic for the best available country team in each age group. Most grand finals at country champs are closely contested, but if the team that wins has a couple of strong players at Melbourne clubs, said team usually doesn’t play Classic and the spot automatically goes to the next best VC team, which invariably comes from a metro-based club. I’m not normally a fan of quota systems, but allocating one of the 8 Victorian spots to a strong country team hardly seems crazy.

Reply #893117 | Report this post

XXXX  
Two years ago

I'm disappointed the Gippsland girls miss out, they are obviously a very good team. But, their situation is nothing like Korumburra. There are Korumburra girls that play VJBL elsewhere, but they are from Korumburra. Gippsland is an amalgam of Sales, Moe, Traralgon etc. even one from Southern Penn. They should be able to play and the comp is weaker for their exclusion but the situations are nothing alike.

Reply #893118 | Report this post

HakeemtheDream  
Two years ago

No Korumburra
Eligible to play VJBL but not classic.
BV really should explain

Reply #893123 | Report this post

Uniquely Unique  
Two years ago

Some SA teams would have to think they're a good chance to finish in the top couple.

Norwood and Eastern 14 girls are terrific teams.

Forestville and Norwood in 16 boys would both be feeling confident - no doubt the coaches would think they are a serious threat

Same in the 18 boys with North and Norwood a like to be competitive.

Reply #893130 | Report this post

Pinch  
Two years ago

Bankstown 16's Girls look like a lock to win.

Reply #893146 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

Yes very much so, hall averaging 35+ pts a game, last game 62 points. + 3 other nsw metro u16 players

Reply #893148 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

Casey maybe competitive.

Reply #893149 | Report this post

XXXX  
Two years ago

Its a bit early to call anyone a lock I would think. West Adelaide have some pretty decent players in the u16 girls and there's no way of comparing the Vic teams to the Interstate team as they have hardly played for 2 years. Bankstown have Keilor first up, it will be interesting to see how they go. Keilor have no State players and one emergency but they are pretty good, if Bankstown wins easily and Hall can put up big numbers against them it will say a lot more about their chances than dominating the NSW league.

Reply #893174 | Report this post

mexicano  
Two years ago

XXXX it's a bit of a stretch to say those girls are all from Korumburra! I actually think it’s good that Korumburra provides better opportunities for kids in the region, but half of their players started at other associations.

Their VJBL team is only missing 2 key players from the team which won at champs: one plays VC-reserve at Pakenham and the Warragul girl plays VJL1 at Knox. I’m glad they’re playing and I also feel bad for the country teams that missed out due to a dubious and inconsistently applied rule.

Reply #893187 | Report this post

LC  
Two years ago

Reply #893194 | Report this post

+  
Two years ago

Is Canberra a combined team ?

Reply #893220 | Report this post

+  
Two years ago

xxxx - west U16 Gs are strong in their state but there are only 6 teams now in that grade. This will be the first chance to see where everyone is at.

A very good comment these teams are on the other side of 2 years with little interstate competitions to gauge by.

Reply #893222 | Report this post

XXXX  
Two years ago

Mexicano, I don't know their backgrounds, but they play in the Country champs as Korumburra, the Latrobe girls all play for different associations, they aren't comparable situations. I think its a dumb rule though, if they play VJBL they should be able to qualify the same as other VJBL teams. They are absolutely one of the better teams in Vic and would have done very well, so the competition is worse off without them.

The performance of the Vic teams is going to be very interesting, there are surprising results every week in VJBL, largely because of teams missing key players consistently. Its pretty difficult to even make a case for any one team being the strongest in Vic, let alone compared to Interstate.

When it comes to the comparing NSW teams, its not insignificant that one of the players in their State team was in a second team in VJBL last year at a club where the 1st team was half bottom agers. Its possible that whole competition is really weak in comparison and Bankstown will not do well at all. This is probably not the case, but nobody will know till they all start playing. I expect the whole tournament will be an eye opener.

Reply #893223 | Report this post

Footloose  
Two years ago

Yes Canberra is a combined team

Reply #893270 | Report this post

AssistantsPen  
Two years ago

Confuses me how a club the size of Eltham both in domestic and VJBL has produced so little players at a the pointy end of basketball (Pro/Internationals) why is that? With that size of talent pool surely you would be producing high quality teams every single year.

Not thumbing my nose at them just interested.

Is it the effect of a strong junior footy league/senior league?
Lack of development programs outside of rep teams?
Happy to draw talent then produce it?

Reply #893296 | Report this post

hoopie  
Two years ago

Produces players with the skills but the wrong attitude to succeed at highest levels?

Reply #893303 | Report this post

+  
Two years ago

They have had very good players, just a quiet time at present for them - go back 10-15 years they were a powerhouse in all grades

Reply #893306 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

Current eltham n.t representation

Maley, opals
Ferranato, crocs

2 of the 80+ n.t players over the last year.

From
U17 crocs + u17 sapphires
U19 emus + u19 gems
Boomers + opals

I don't think any other club has more than 4 currently.

Reply #893307 | Report this post

AssistantsPen  
Two years ago

Thats 2 recent players sorry I should framed it better over its history its been a huge number f players for years to only have just produced seems interesting and shows i guess the luck of having the talent at the right time

Reply #893335 | Report this post

+  
Two years ago

Nunawading doing extremely well in both B&G U14s

Reply #893669 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

Vic m women u16, will they even medal?
Teams with those players are losing.

Reply #893671 | Report this post

XXXX  
Two years ago

They will be hard to score against as they have a lot of size across the team, and most a good athletes, there is very little offensive talent in the group though. At club level every team has holes so its hard to stop good offensive players, there aren't going to be many holes in that team though, so I expect they will make life tough for other teams. I'm not sure how they think they are going to score though, it seems pretty clear they stuffed up not picking a few kids with a bit more offensive talent, particularly shooting. There is only one player in that team who regularly makes 3's in VJBL. I would be nice if PlayHQ had overall stats so you could compare them to their peers.

Reply #893676 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

What size?

Reply #893677 | Report this post

Anon  
Two years ago

XXXX it's not playhq not displaying stats. It’s stats aren’t recorded

Reply #893689 | Report this post

XXXX  
Two years ago

Weedy,

Apart from the 2 5's from Frankston and Casey being undersized (height wise) the rest of the team are all tall and long for their positions. The 4's from Frankston and Hawthorn must both be around 6-2. The Melbourne and Nunawading girls are big at the 2 or 3 and the only real guard picked is quite tall for that position. I assume the other 2 were picked as guards, if so they have size for the position as well.

Anon,
You can get individual stats of PlayHQ, If you go to agme stats and click on the players name all their stats, domestic and rep come up and even some school stats.

Reply #893697 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

U16G Vic metro really not that big or quick, qld s, nsw m snd sa m should beat them.

Reply #893699 | Report this post

Pasadena 72  
Two years ago

Looks like SAC U16 girls will be good. Mavericks into final and I think west adelaide have one SAC kid too.

Reply #893700 | Report this post

Life is Basketball  
Two years ago

Pasadena, West have two, and two very good ones. No sure if any metro girls in either of those teams.

Reply #893705 | Report this post

HakeemtheDream  
Two years ago

Disappointing results in u16 girls for Victorian teams. No grand finalist and 3 out of four interstate teams.
Back to the top of the thread. No Gippsland team who finished on top of the ladder.

Reply #893709 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

Sa country performed very well last year, mostly bottom agers who will be back again.
They'll play hard and quick but qld s go 7 deep.
If hall can get some more help, nsw m may go far.

Qld s, sa m, sa c, nsw m top 4 I reckon.

Reply #893710 | Report this post

Life is Basketball  
Two years ago

West adelaide Under 16 gold, Eastern Mavs Silver, 7 SA country and 2 SA metro on court...not too bad!

Reply #893711 | Report this post

XXXX  
Two years ago

I don't think you can read too much into those results when predicting the AJC's. West Adelaide only beat Dandenong by 2 points and they have one Vic Country girl and no VM players. Eastern Mavs have 5 SA Country girls I believe. Jessie Hall is the real deal, if NSW Metro can put some shooters around her she will be very hard to stop and they will do well. Agree QS will be had to beat.

Vic Country would have been good until Schwarz was injured, her an Taylor would have been a tough matchup for anyone. I don't think they have enough size or scoring without her though.

Reply #893713 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:12 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754