Zodiac
Two years ago

ESPN Signs Four Year Deal with FIBA

ESPN will become the new broadcast home of international basketball for the next four years, having agreed to an exclusive partnership with FIBA, the International Basketball Federation.

The deal will include rights to broadcast all FIBA's international events, including all 38 games from the upcoming FIBA Women’s Basketball World Cup 2022, from September 22nd to October 1st in Sydney- including all Australian Opals games, live and exclusive.

ESPN is also the broadcast home for the FIBA Men’s Basketball World Cup 2023, to be jointly hosted by the Philippines, Japan and Indonesia, along with all FIBA Men’s Basketball World Cup 2023 Qualifiers and FIBA’s Continental Cups.

The Boomers’ upcoming FIBA Basketball World Cup 2023 qualification series against China and Japan will also be live on June 30, July 1 and July 3.

https://tvtonight.com.au/2022/05/espn-signs-basketball-deal-with-fiba.html

Topic #50116 | Report this topic

Perthworld  
Two years ago

Fox Sports continue to not want to pay for any rights yet blow their load on overpriced AFL, NRL and cricket deals plus milking federal funding via a questionable deal to screen women's sport.

Reply #893076 | Report this post

NBLTigers  
Two years ago

Had a feeling ESPN would cover all basketball.

Reply #893078 | Report this post

curtley  
Two years ago

Fox also paid overs for A-League games.

Reply #893079 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

Hopefully the government money stops for fox, well done to espn, great news.

Reply #893089 | Report this post

JCK98  
Two years ago

Interesting how it says Continental Cups rather than just the Asia Cup, wonder if we'll see EuroBasket (and I guess the AmeriCup and AfroBasket) on ESPN then.

"Fox Sports continue to not want to pay for any rights yet blow their load on overpriced AFL, NRL and cricket deals plus milking federal funding via a questionable deal to screen women's sport."

Foxtel (Fox Sports) get to keep the content without directly paying for it. Works for them.

Reply #893092 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

Fox also paid overs for A-League games.

Correct but Paramount outbid them recently and are paying even more now which is another ridiculous contract.

Reply #893096 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

Foxtel (Fox Sports) get to keep the content without directly paying for it. Works for them.

ESPN and beIN are really holding down the fort - the Fox Sports channels are now graveyards of the cheapest content available outside of the few rights they pay massive overs for.

Reply #893097 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Two years ago

A League have a 5 year, 200 million dollar deal with Fox Sports and Ten and their ratings are tanking from between 50 and 70k views. NBL is getting comparable numbers on a 3 year, 45 million dollar deal. Either the NBL is worth much more or the A League is worth much less. Truth probably somewhere in the middle. Here are the ratings I was able to find for A League:

0/11: 146K (102K metro) [Sydney derby]
27/11: 88K [Adelaide vs City]
4/12: 85K metro [Sydney vs Newcastle]
11/12: 89K metro [Adelaide vs Victory]
18/12: 63K metro [Melbourne derby]
26/12: 57K [Victory vs Western United]
1/1: 72K [Adelaide vs Wellington]
8/1: 84K metro [Victory vs Adelaide]
15/1: 56K [Adelaide v City, Sydney vs Brisbane]
22/1: 45K [Sydney vs Perth]
29/1: 42K [Western United vs City]
5/2: 110K metro [Victory vs Central Coast - FFA Cup Final]
12/2: 65K metro [Sydney vs Western United, Victory vs Newcastle]
19/2: 62K [Victory vs Central Coast]
26/2: 79K [Sydney vs City]
5/3: 80K [Sydney Derby]

I think the NBl would see the upper end of those ratings as reasonable wins. But theyre not being paid 200 million to produce those numbers - theyre doing it with less of a quarter of the budget and not on prime time, free to air. If I were a TV exec and I was asked to choose between NBL and A League at the moment, I'd go with the team that is making modest growth year on year and has done a reasonable amount from very little. Without any Soccerroo hysteria to propel it forward I think the A League is on its way to a dark ages that may end the five year contract before its time.

Reply #893120 | Report this post

AntAntAnt  
Two years ago

Is the NBL still paying for production costs too? vs the A-League which I assume is not?

Reply #893124 | Report this post

NBLTigers  
Two years ago

NBL is private. They haven't said much about their tv deal. Real shame they are not on any of the main free to air tv stations in Australia.

Reply #893125 | Report this post

koberulz  
Two years ago

Doesn't the A-League deal include Socceroos games? I'd assume broadcasters are okay taking a bit of a hit on the A-League itself in order to make bank on those.

Reply #893128 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

Not anymore as the A-League split from FFA and became a private entity before signing the $100mil broadcast deal with Paramount.

FFA separately negotiated a $100mil deal over three years for coverage of all Australian international matches excluding the World Cup.

Reply #893134 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

Interesting how it says Continental Cups rather than just the Asia Cup, wonder if we'll see EuroBasket (and I guess the AmeriCup and AfroBasket) on ESPN then.

FIBA now brand all of the continental championships for national teams as 'cups' so the term encompasses Asia Cup, EuroBasket Cup, Americas Cup and AfroBasket Cup.

I don't ever recall EuroBasket being aired on Australian TV which is bizarre considering the quality of it so this is great news.

Reply #893135 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

Not anymore as the A-League split from FFA and became a private entity before signing the $100mil broadcast deal with Paramount.

This should read as $200mil, not $100mil.

Reply #893136 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Two years ago

Is this a deal specifically with ESPN Australia though or ESPN in general? If the governing body of ESPN bought all those then it's still likely Australia will only see the games that pertain to them.

Reply #893137 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

Is this a deal specifically with ESPN Australia though or ESPN in general?

ESPN Australia, it's in the link.

Reply #893138 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:03 pm, Tue 23 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754