Johnson14
Two years ago

Adelaide 36ers sign Antonius Cleveland for two years

Cleveland has agreed to terms as a marquee player and Franks has a better offer from 36er's than Brisbane's and is more than likely to join Cleveland at Adelaide. The next target is Xavier Mumford who they are in talks with

(Mod: Bumped thread. Signing now confirmed by NBL.)

Topic #50130 | Report this topic

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

Lol, poor scouting...
Just poach from others.

Reply #893340 | Report this post

Watto  
Two years ago

Imports can't be marquees

Reply #893341 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

So potentially

Munford-Dufelmeier
Mccarron-NS
Cleveland-Dech-Marshall
Franks-Harris
Johnson-Humphries-Sotto

Can see Bairstow going to Tassie.

Reply #893343 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

Sorry,

Munford-Dufelmeier
Mccarron-Dech
Cleveland-Drmic-Marshall
Franks-Harris
Johnson-Humphries-Sotto

Reply #893344 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

Oh ffs I forgot Galloway.

Reply #893345 | Report this post

Johnson14  
Two years ago

That's my bad if that's the case Cleveland can't be classed as a marquee so that makes Bryce Cotton an import on a shit load of money.

Reply #893346 | Report this post

Saint23  
Two years ago

one yr deal or more

Reply #893347 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

They can do alot better than munford

Reply #893348 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

Lol, poor scouting...
Just poach from others.

Well the Sixers do suck hard at scouting new imports so at least they are trying something else.

Reply #893350 | Report this post

proud  
Two years ago

Why all the shit for 36ers getting imports from other clubs, is it because Demetrius Conger looked really awesome in Illawarra and fat and slow when he went to the 36ers or is it just that they are lazy?

Are they still in talks with Ware?

Reply #893352 | Report this post

KET  
Two years ago

Here is the discussion thread FYI: https://www.hoops.com.au/forum/50119-36ers-pulled-off-the-steal-of-the-freeagency-ca/

Generally speaking a new thread is made when a signing is made official/fair time has elapsed with an old thread.

Nothing has been made official, the Nine News segment rumoured that Cleveland has accepted the offer (yay)

Reply #893354 | Report this post

curtley  
Two years ago

Sotto?

Thought he was going to Orlando with the number 1 draft pick...

Reply #893360 | Report this post

Shano76  
Two years ago

Lol. Poor scouting. Not like Withers and Hannahs?
If this is all true, good on the 6ers.
Can't see signing proven players as a negative.
I don’t think Humphries or Sotto will be back, so unless Bairstow signs I guess we’d look at another Aussie big to round off the squad.
Definitely looks more promising than last year. Hopefully CJ can coach (I think he can) and we finally get a finals contender.

Reply #893361 | Report this post

Mathew  
Two years ago

I think by looking at this you have to sun bairstow and if they do wholey shit this is a serious squad!!

Reply #893362 | Report this post

Daly  
Two years ago

Sotto is NBA bound. Will join Giddey and Chet and be picked up by OKC with #12 pick.

Reply #893363 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Two years ago

Munford does not help their inadequacy at the point

Reply #893364 | Report this post

bcat  
Two years ago

Again we sign an import who will only average 15ppg ??

Reply #893368 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Two years ago

bcat, I still think Munford would be a reasonable signing. Got to remember they've supposedly gone hard at Cleveland and Franks, have DJ, M MC and Dech locked up, and also managed to get Drmic. Munford wouldn't be a disappointing signing for any NBL team.

Reply #893369 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Two years ago

Johnson/???
Franks/Harris
Cleveland/Drmic
Munford/Dech
McCarron/Dufelmeier

If they can get a good back-up C, that is a strong line-up. Having Johnson and Franks spreading the floor will make Cleveland and Munford dangerous.

Reply #893371 | Report this post

KET  
Two years ago

Regardless of opinions on DJs defence and MMS awkward fit, I think when you have those two plus Dech and Drmic that's a good solid Aussie core.

Munford, Cleveland and Franks would be three starting caliber imports that we know can perform - we haven’t had two let alone three starting caliber imports before/in a long time.

I don’t Adelaide would have an inadequacy at PG between MM and Munford. I think there’s an element of people diagnosing last year’s issues too narrow and coming to the wrong conclusion as a result.

Reply #893372 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Two years ago

I don't see how anyone can throw shade at the Sixers for "stealing imports". The best thing you could do is pick up tried and true performers at NBL level, and for the most part, that's what these guys are. This is about as optimistic as I've been about the Sixers in at least five years. But it's all talk until names are signed and sealed and we do need to set a back up C in place - preferrably one who can defend

Reply #893374 | Report this post

Mystro  
Two years ago

Well done Adelaide I say, awesome job if they can score 2x of last seasons elite imports

Reply #893375 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Two years ago

Yeah exactly. People talk like clubs go into other clubs, obduct these players and steal them that way. It's called free agency. Would we prefer a trade system? No fundamental difference between signing an import from another club or a local is there? Big difference is that it seems high level imports are hanging around the league more these days, which gives an opportunity for the highest bidder to pounce. I think this is really proactive by Adelaide to have the core of your team signed before some teams have signed anyone at all!

Reply #893377 | Report this post

Shano76  
Two years ago

Spot on Master Chief. I doubt we are the only ones chasing these guys either. Maybe this is why we cheaper out last season on the third import once it was clear we were no good.
Hopefully this all plays out and we have a contender again.

Reply #893385 | Report this post

KET  
Two years ago

That kind of roster would have potential to be a top 4 side.

The only thing is, a championship team would have a player that can get a bucket when it's most needed, when things are drying up, when a clutch basket is needed.

We have seen the likes of Adams for Kings, Cotton for Perth do this in past years.

Would someone like Munford be up to the job?

Reply #893393 | Report this post

Jonno  
Two years ago

Munford and Franks were 2 of the top 10 scorers in the NBL and Cleveland was DPOY , I dont see how anyone criticizes these signings.

Would people prefer we signed lesser imports so we can say they were new?

What are the chances we would actually find 3 new guys who are actually better?

I say its a huge plus that they are NBL proven, and the other positive of them being imports is if any of them dont work out its easier to swap out for another guy of similar callibre than it is an Aussie.

Im loving what im seeing from the 6ers so far this off season

Reply #893394 | Report this post

NBLTigers  
Two years ago

Interesting if this happens. It just shows you that the Sixers salary cap is just as large as United's and Perth’s.

Heard Andrew Bogut’s recent post that the Sydney Kings salary cap was 7th ranked in the league by spend. Well done to the Kings not overspending. Now my guess is that the Sixers spend the most but they always get it wrong. Don’t blame them poaching players from other clubs, it’s free agency. Sixers better step up, they’re always up and down.

Makes me wonder what United is planning.

Reply #893396 | Report this post

Shano76  
Two years ago

Do we think the Kings were 7th in spending for real?
I'm liking the planned moves for the 6ers, it’s a put up or shut up type of season. The fans have been pretty patient, but the last two rosters have been taking the pi55 in my opinion.

Reply #893399 | Report this post

KET  
Two years ago

If they score those three imports and keep Bairstow than it won't be able to be said that they haven’t tried

Reply #893400 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

Kings seventh spenders, lmao, as Gazey would say oh my.

Reply #893402 | Report this post

Statman84  
Two years ago

Yeah, 7th if you put them in reverse order. And even then....

Reply #893404 | Report this post

NBLTigers  
Two years ago

[https://www.sydneykings.com/news/message-to-members-from-andrew-bogut Source]

Reply #893405 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Two years ago

Sydney's claims may well be true, especially if they're not overpaying mediocre local role players as other teams often tend to do. They also can reasonably acquire the services of top players cheaper, who can be harder to pry over for regional teams to begin with. The NBA links the Kings have mean that they can be in the ears of the Ian Clarks and Jaylen Adams of the world who other teams may not dream would play in this league for 200 or 300K. If you were to spitball and say Adams made 300K, Vaseljivic 200K, Cooks 300 K, Martin 250 K, that leaves 450 K left for your bench and I don't think they threw anyone else much of a bag. We might just have to accept that the Sydney front office is more thrifty and in touch with the basketball world than any other front office in the league.

As for Adelaide, there's not been a single misstep this off season. They scrapped some deadwood with Manny Malou and Mojave King thankfully gone. King, the king of the overrated "NBA prospects" and Malou just not that good to begin with. Replaced one or the other with Anthony Drmic, not a superstar by any means but you know what the guy is going to give you every night and it goes a long way to soothing our three point woes. They've shown that they have no interest in retaining the previous imports and they're targeting, what will have to be one of the best import trios in the league with Mumford, Cleveland and Franks. NBL teams often vastly overvalue Australian talent but imports have been proven, time and time again, to be the difference between playoffs or being an also-ran, as most Australian talent cancels eachother out. Scoring? Check. Athleticism? Check. Defense? Check. Mumford may not be the most adroit point guard but CJ has obviously seen that McCarron needs help in the backcourt - Double check. Now all we need is a defensive big man and I think we have all the pieces to do something next season.

Reply #893407 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

If Cooks is on 300k he ain't playing for kings next season with his euro outs or nba if he’s lucky enough. There is some low balling going on in the above figures.

Reply #893408 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Two years ago

"If Cooks is on 300k he ain't playing for kings next season with his euro outs or nba if he's lucky enough. There is some low balling going on in the above figures."

They were hypothetical figures for last season, not the coming season. Cooks 2020/21 season was hampered with injury and he wasnt producing at the level he did in 21/22. Also there is no Euro out clause for the first season of his three season deal, only an NBA clause.

Reply #893410 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

Ok , thanks, if no euro out for the coming season he must be on big coin.

I still believe that those above figures are very rubbery.

If you remember Cooks was one of the players that opted out when the players took pay cuts the previous season only to resign back on for two seasons, I'd say the second season, which was last season made it worth a lot of money to him even though he came off an injured season.

Reply #893411 | Report this post

KET  
Two years ago

Props to Sydney for willingly releasing the figures though

Reply #893412 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Two years ago

"Do we think the Kings were 7th in spending for real?"

They are talking about salary cap spend. Remember that marquee players' salaries aren't fully included in the cap. I'd take what they're saying with a grain of salt.

Reply #893419 | Report this post

Saint23  
Two years ago

Cleveland and Franks have the same agent i was looking to see who there agent Mike silverman managed, who would be great imports and for what team

Jarrod Uthoff 6 9 f JJ
Johnathan Motley 6 10 f UNITED
Kay felder 5 10 pg SEM
Alfonzo mckinnie 6 8 f Wildcats

Reply #893420 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

Heard Andrew Bogut's recent post that the Sydney Kings salary cap was 7th ranked in the league by spend.

What an absolute dickhead.

Reply #893421 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Two years ago

^how is this a shock?

Reply #893423 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

It's not.

Reply #893428 | Report this post

Kings  
Two years ago

Adelaide skyrocket to faves with that trio of imports. All they need is a big who can rebound and block shots off the bench; Deng Acouth can fill that role and won't cost as much as Hodgson would. Isaac White would add some more 3pt shooting and is an Adelaide local.

McCarron/White
Munford/Dech
Cleveland/Drmic
Franks/Harris/Galloway
Johnson/Acouth

Everyone needs to play a role though and allow those 3 imports to take spotlight, DJ needs to take a step back this year. Will he? Probably not... but in all honesty I reckon this is his last year at Adelaide, can see a deal from Melbourne or Perth (home) being more than Adelaide can and want to offer going forward for a guy in his mid-30s.

Reply #893444 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Two years ago

Kings,

I don't really disagree with any of that, but why would DJ go elsewhere now? He's supposedly resisted offers to stay in Adelaide all these years so I would hope he finishes here too and it's mutual.

Reply #893445 | Report this post

KET  
Two years ago

I like that lineup Kings

Reply #893446 | Report this post

proud  
Two years ago

@MasterChief, I'd love to see teams being able to trade imports in season, I'm not exactly sure how it could be done but I'd be fascinated to see it happen.

I'd love for the NBL to release the financials on the previous seasons champions with their salary cap... I don't want to see anyone else's but the value of someone like Shaun Bruce of even what Angus Glover cost (why Illawarra didn't match it) just adds extra intrigue and potential motivation to beat the champions.... crowds taunting a player for being the cheapest on the roster and him pointing to his ring finger would be classic.

Reply #893466 | Report this post

Anon  
Two years ago

Cleveland is official

Reply #893526 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Two years ago

Locked him in for 2 years too, great news.

Reply #893527 | Report this post

KET  
Two years ago

Wonder if the second is an option?

Reply #893528 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Two years ago

Proud, would be an interesting thing to see for sure, but my point was more so that free agency is the only recruitment process that exists regarding the idea that teams 'steal' players. So for teams and fans feel compensated, the only other way is a trade system. Look, i hate when the bigger clubs can outbid the smaller clubs on imports they introduced, but at least this time it's kind of the other way round.

Reply #893529 | Report this post

Isaac  
Two years ago

One advantage of signing imports early is that it gives some confidence to future signings that they will be part of a squad likely to be competitive.

Reply #893539 | Report this post

Daly  
Two years ago

It is very likely that Kai Sotto will be back at Adelaide next season.

It seems like Kai didn't do very well at NBA team workouts and is extremely unlikely to get drafted.

https://www.spin.ph/basketball/pba/on-kai-draft-chances-mikey-negotiations-and-mocon-contract-a2244-20220609?ref=home_featured_1

Reply #893540 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

Team looks complete if rumours are true.

PG McCarron/TBD-Dufelmeier, or (ns)
CG Munford
G/F Cleveland/Dech
SF Drmic/Marshall(dp)
PF Franks/Harris
PF/C Galloway
C Johnson/TBD-Humphries, Bairstow or Sotto(srp)

Reply #893542 | Report this post

Mystro  
Two years ago

Sixers got it done!
Awesome news especially as he wasn't poached by Sydney or United.
Hopefully Adelaide can land Franks as well.

Reply #893547 | Report this post

KET  
Two years ago

Looks like another signing has been made

Reply #893548 | Report this post

Kings  
Two years ago

Who do you guys reckon the player is in the signing clip?

Reply #893549 | Report this post

Tornado  
Two years ago

Robert Franks

Reply #893551 | Report this post

Eagle  
Two years ago

Pretty sure that it's Robert Frank’s because the players number in the 36ers most recent IG post is 0 and they’re playing in a G league bubble game. Franks wore 0 while playing in the g league bubble

Reply #893553 | Report this post

KET  
Two years ago

Safe bet

Two down, 1 to go imports wise

Reply #893554 | Report this post

Peter  
Two years ago

Frank's signing is official. On 36ers website

Reply #893557 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Two years ago

Reply #893558 | Report this post

Daly  
Two years ago

Two quality imports, a big improvement over trash Hannahs and Withers.

Reply #893559 | Report this post

KET  
Two years ago

Another 2yr deal

Reply #893560 | Report this post

Ballman  
Two years ago

Great recruiting this year from Adelaide, if they cant make finals with this team then what will

Reply #893564 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Two years ago

"Sydney's claims may well be true"

Worth noting how import contracts are valued for the NBL salary cap.

According to SpatialJam (https://spatialjam.com/contracttracker) - "An import's salary is negotiated in US dollars and is converted into Australian dollars (for the purpose of salary cap figures) at a flat rate of 92 cents in the dollar. While this makes no difference to how an import player is paid, it does mean a lower figure is counted towards the salary cap."

The AUD dollar averaged about 72 cents per USD across last season. So using the 92 cents per USD conversion would value imports' salaries, for salary cap purposes, at roughly 78% of the AUD they were actually paid.

Reply #893606 | Report this post

koberulz  
Two years ago

It's also worth noting that the salary cap is just the player points system, and may not reflect what players are actually being paid.

Reply #893617 | Report this post

Saint23  
Two years ago

if a players signs for 100,000 does that include playing fees and training fees and living expenses

Reply #893620 | Report this post

koberulz  
Two years ago

Playing and training fees?

Reply #893621 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

Playing and training is what they get paid to do so it isn't broken down in the payment structure.

Reply #893626 | Report this post

Scout  
Two years ago

Living expenses is a fair question though. Sure players/imports are supplied with housing, cars, etc do not believe that is included in the cap

Reply #893636 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:47 pm, Tue 16 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754