Herbert Cadbury
Two years ago

Breakers Sign Cam Gliddon

From members email:

Australian Boomer and 2018 Commonwealth Games gold medallist Cam Gliddon is joining the Sky Sport Breakers on a two-year deal.

The Shooting Guard brings ten years of Australian NBL experience to the Breakers with 273 appearances for the Taipans, Bullets, and more recently, the Phoenix.

Gliddon is no stranger to kiwi fans, having played for the Taipans in the 2014/15 Grand Final series won by the Breakers 2-0.

He also played for the Canterbury Rams in 2019, where he was named the NBL's Most Outstanding Guard while also earning All-Star Five honours.

Last season for the Phoenix, he played 22 games averaging 16.7 minutes on the floor, shooting 40.4 percent from the field.

New Breakers Head Coach Mody Maor says Gliddon’s all-around qualities, experience, and professionalism will greatly benefit his growing roster.

"Cam’s offensive skill set fits the style we want to play perfectly; he is a constant threat beyond the three-point arc," said Maor.

“He also does not shy away from defensive challenges and will be a valued piece in our defensive puzzle.”

Gliddon’s proven worth in the NBL is undeniable, and he also brings a wealth of international experience to New Zealand.

The 32-year-old won gold for Australia at the FIBA Asia Cup in 2017, contributing eight points, seven rebounds, and five assists in the Boomer’s gold medal win over Canada at the 2018 Commonwealth Games.

He also represented Australia at the FIBA World Cup in China in 2019 and is the seventh player confirmed on the Breakers’ 12-man roster.

Gliddon joins five kiwis in Tom Abercrombie, Rob Loe, Sam Timmins, Dan Fotu, Tom Vodonavich, and prized Aussie Point Guard Will McDowell-White at the Breakers for NBL23.

“In this offseason we need to change the majority of our roster, and as a result of that, we have a lot to learn as a team,” he said.

“Having a player of Cam Gliddon’s quality in our locker room will speed up our learning process and help the Breakers re-establish our competitive culture.”

Topic #50132 | Report this topic

Herbert Cadbury  
Two years ago

Oops typo in the topic, love if someone could please fix that

Reply #893380 | Report this post

Boba Fett  
Two years ago

Last legs... last club.

Reply #893381 | Report this post

Mystro  
Two years ago

I like this signing better than just going with Bach, Veteran presence with some scoring ability.

Reply #893382 | Report this post

Herbert Cadbury  
Two years ago

Yeah Mystro I think the same. 4.7ppg this season but has been much better previously, and shot those points at a decent clip. I reckon his veteran qualities will sit well alongside Tom Abercrombie, guys that know the league are invaluable in my opinion, if we are going to rebuild the way the Breakers are talking

Reply #893384 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

Nice signing, undervalued at SEM. Leafa and Gliddon from a team that didn't make finals.

Reply #893392 | Report this post

Bigdog  
Two years ago

Next season is a write off.

Reply #893397 | Report this post

Pablo Escobar  
Two years ago

Hate to think how much NZ paid for 4 points a game.

Reply #893435 | Report this post

EssenX  
Two years ago

As a Breakers fan, are used to hate it when he played against us. I am sure he used to shoot the lights out at Spark arena every single time. I won't be displeased if he can shoot like that for us rather than against us. He was a bonafide breaker killer.

Having said that, the roster does look weak. Great imports could change that. But the other side of it is that our teams have been, on paper, strong in the past few seasons. Our chemistry and defence sucked though. As the Jackjumpers demonstrate having a squad on paper doesn’t mean Jack. If they can add Waardenburg and 2 good two-way imports they’ll be competitive if not champions.

Reply #893436 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:08 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754