GordonG
Two years ago

Taipans sign Jonah Antonio - 3 years

The CQUniversity Cairns Taipans are pleased to reveal they have secured the sought-after signature of Australian guard Jonah Antonio. In a coup for the club, the renowned shooter has signed a three-year deal, committing him to Far North Queensland until at least 2025.

Hailing from Perth, Antonio grew up playing for the Stirling Senators and went on to graduate from Sunrise Christian Academy in Kansas, before embarking on his collegiate career.

As a redshirt freshman, Antonio started in 31 of 32 games at Mount St. Mary's and averaged 11.3 points, 3.8 rebounds and 1.3 steals. He managed the second-best single-season mark in school history for 90 made three-pointers and was named to the Northeast Conference All-Rookie Team.

As a sophomore, Antonio averaged 11.6 points per game, shooting at 40.9 percent from three at South Plains College in Texas and winning the Regional V title. He was named to the All-Western Junior College Athletic Conference (JUCO) team before transferring to the University of Nevada Las Vegas.

For the Runnin’ Rebels, Antonio shot at 31.5 from beyond the arc before improving to 40 percent at Wake Forest, where he averaged 6.3 points and 2.4 rebounds in 19 minutes as a senior.

The 25-year-old began his professional basketball career last year in the Czech League, joining Nova Hut Ostrava and helping the club to the finals for the first time since 2012. He shot at a clip of 35 percent from three, and averaged 7.5 points, 1.5 rebounds and 1.2 steals per game.

Taipans Head Coach Adam Forde said that he had been following Antonio’s journey as a junior and was eager to sign him up as soon as he completed college.

"This is my second swing at Jonah, and I’m glad we could land him this time round. We went in early to secure his signature as Jonah was another player I knew wouldn’t remain under the radar for long. An elite shooter with arguably one of the quickest releases in the league, he is a very exciting addition to the team," said Forde.

“Being a fellow Perth boy, I’ve always admired Jonah’s work ethic because nothing was ever gifted to him. He was snubbed from state teams growing up. He landed his own college scholarship in a mid-major program, but then wanted more, so made his way through JUCO to get to the ACC. He backed himself as that’s a tough path to take. It requires a massive chip on your shoulder and some mental grit.

“There are fake gym rats, then there are guys like Jonah who just get after it. I can’t wait to see what he does for us.”

Topic #50163 | Report this topic

Saint23  
Two years ago

to me it old news Jonah and Sam has been following the taipans on instagram for weeks. Jacob wiley has been following the wildcats

Reply #893748 | Report this post

Ballman  
Two years ago

Unusual to see a 3 year contract for first timer in NBL. Must think he is a franchise type player.

Sad to see another Perth boy not playing at the cats. re-signing retirees instead of getting new talent in.

Reply #893750 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

Jacob Wiley has signed in Japan.

Reply #893767 | Report this post

Kings  
Two years ago

Wiley is a great athlete, not too much else. A good 3rd import but not someone who will dominate.

Cairns making good moves for young talent, they continue to be the destination in Queensland over the Bullets. One would think Brisbane would have tried to go after Jonah and Sam?

Reply #893775 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Two years ago

Forde said he's going young for the rest of the roster
I believe they will sign another import guard(PG/SG) that can shoot and shooting 5 man

Antonio & Koul will play a lot of 3 with two Import guards, they’ll need another PG because of McCall injury history & foul prone

Reply #893798 | Report this post

Kings  
Two years ago

Good they signed him for 3, means if he has a good year he won't get nabbed by Melbourne lol.

Reply #893836 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:16 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754