https://twitter.com/NBL/status/1536877368404738049

Topic #50168 | Report this topic

Luuuc  
Two years ago

Ummm... WTF?

Reply #893804 | Report this post

Senator11  
Two years ago

I don't really know what to think...at his best he would be a great scoring option coming off the bench behind Cotton, is he still at his best though? He was declining last I saw...

Reply #893805 | Report this post

Isaac  
Two years ago

Where's that Wildcats culture thread...

Reply #893806 | Report this post

Mystro  
Two years ago

Again lol.
Corey can still get buckets so all the best to him and the Wildcats.

Reply #893807 | Report this post

Ratty Mussell  
Two years ago

We know the guy can play but the cats need to get younger and more athletic players not older and slower.. Bit off a head scratcher

Reply #893808 | Report this post

AngusH  
Two years ago

Does he actually suit up this time??

Reply #893809 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Two years ago

Hopefully he plays a game for Perth this time around. I can't wait to see him get the ball at the top off the key and waiving Cotton off, it's gonna be juicy lol

Reply #893810 | Report this post

AngusH  
Two years ago

btw what's the actual requirements around travel, especially international travel, if you're not vaxxed? Asking for a friend...

Reply #893811 | Report this post

S1L3NC3R83  
Two years ago

#notmywildcats

This just solidified my decision to support the spiritual successors to the Gleeson Wildcats, Tasmania, until Morrison is gone.

Go Ants!

Reply #893815 | Report this post

Mystro  
Two years ago

He's 34 and had a few injuries the past few years but he still knows how to score.
Wagstaff is 36, are the Cats applying for a senior citizens discount off the salary cap with these old boys?

Reply #893816 | Report this post

Ben  
Two years ago

Wildcats culture down the drain now.

Interesting to see how he co-exists with Cotton.

Reply #893817 | Report this post

Saint23  
Two years ago

maybe there hoping tai webster will come to

Reply #893819 | Report this post

KET  
Two years ago

Culture aside, he is a talent

Reply #893821 | Report this post

hoopie  
Two years ago

I'm with Ben.

Corey and Cotton could be a great 1-2 punch if they can combine well, one drawing the defenders to free up the other to score. Alternatively, they both want the ball a lot and Scotty is pushing iso play a lot, so you would never have them on the court at the same time.

I wonder how much say Scotty had in the recruiting.

Reply #893825 | Report this post

Jimmyhooper15  
Two years ago

Can't see Law back. There just isn’t enough ball or shots with Law, Cotton and Webster. Perth needs to get a monster big man who can rebound and protect the paint. With Cotton, Webster and Blanchfield scoring wiill take care of it self. Need help upfront and rebounding .

I would use the two import slots on a defensive minded 5 and a solid PF

Reply #893830 | Report this post

EssenX  
Two years ago

There's question marks about his attitude and more recently he’s had issues with his fitness, but he has consistently been a great scorer in this league. He had also become a great passer in the pick and roll. But you need a system that lets him flourish and constrains him at the same time, and I’m not sure if Perths current setup does that. 5 years ago, or whenever he last popped into Perth, the Wildcats had the culture and systems to get the best out of him. This one’s a wildcard for the Wildcats how it plays out.

Reply #893832 | Report this post

Kings  
Two years ago

Cash flow seems to be drying up this is a head scratching signing. Not what they needed.

Reply #893834 | Report this post

Kings  
Two years ago

When you compare their current top scoring options (Cotton, Blanchfield, Webster) to say Adelaide (Franks, DJ, Cleveland) it does't look so good.

I would honestly put money on them now to miss the playoffs. Unless they pull Thon Maker and 2 good imports from here it looks dismal.

Reply #893835 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

Does Corey play defence yet. Strange signing.

Reply #893841 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

LOL WTF!

At the rate things are going and with every new announcement the new ownership/management are heading towards freakshow status, replacing the recently departed duo of Kelly and JvG.

Reply #893842 | Report this post

AngusH  
Two years ago

Looking at it just from a basketball perspective, if Webster is OK with a bench role then he is a good addition given the Wildcats' lack of depth. He is a scorer than can alleviate some of the load off of Cotton's shoulders in the backcourt, and if healthy/fit is a risk of popping off the odd 20-25 point game.

If this was under Trev I actually think it would be a good move because the Cats wouldn't pull the trigger without the right assurances and due diligence in place. Who knows now, though.

Reply #893846 | Report this post

Ballman  
Two years ago

From a culture point of view the cats tried to recruit him under the old management so it was fine then, should be fine now.

I feel like he replaces Stiendl which they never really did last year, in simailar fashion he may not be great defensively but should be able to contribute on the score board and I remember him being pretty deadly in transition as well.

More questions on age , fitness , ability to stay injury free. Cats were the most injured team after Cairns last season. If they handnt hired Wagstaff it would be good to get some experience off the bench but two mid-30s players who knows.

If this means the two remaining import spots are big men, then I think this is on balance a good move.

Reply #893850 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Two years ago

Perhaps Webster has signed in place of an import (Frazier)?

Reply #893851 | Report this post

JoelMVP  
Two years ago

Pretty funny signing. He's old, has never brought any inclination of leadership or positive culture... unlucky Perth.

Reply #893852 | Report this post

Crackers65  
Two years ago

Great signing for the rest of the league. Defence is a dirty word, let alone good culture. Should be cheap, so it looks like the purse strings have been tightened more.

Reply #893853 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

Norton-Zunic
Cotton-Webster
Import-Blanchfield-Shervill
Import-Wagstaff
(Maker, Reath or Mathiang)-Majok-HayesBrown

Reply #893854 | Report this post

Mystro  
Two years ago

The guy can play, make no mistake.
Instant offence and will let them fly.
If he's not playing high usage big minutes and just coming off the bench with a license to score he’ll probably be fine. Just keep him away from avocados.

Reply #893855 | Report this post

Gk82  
Two years ago

Always loved watching him play other than us, to me it's great singing. As a wildcats member for a long time I really am enjoying the unknown because we have been very lucky the past 35 years and even past 10 years.

Better scoring than last season anyway so hopefully it works at well for both.

Reply #893863 | Report this post

Yup  
Two years ago

Yah just can't see this being big minutes, didn’t he come off the bench in his last NZB stint?

Reply #893864 | Report this post

Ben  
Two years ago

Someone on NBL reddit commented that maybe his tinfoil hat will help with his defence. Funny.

Reply #893870 | Report this post

Big Fudge  
Two years ago

Norton-Zunic
Cotton-Webster
Import-Blanchfield-Shervill
Import-Wagstaff
(Maker, Reath or Mathiang)-Majok-HayesBrown

Weedy Slug - you banking on Travers making the NBA?

Reply #893876 | Report this post

Ballman  
Two years ago

Question I have is will there also be a next star in the mix to come off the bench.

Reply #893895 | Report this post

D2.0  
Two years ago

I'll preface my comments by saying that I'm having a "mental blank" at the moment. Is it still 11 man main-rosters? (Plus DPs and N/S)

If so, then my biggest disappointment with this (and recent signings) is that it clearly shows the final makeup of the squad.

Once again we're going to ignore any quality local bigs like Reath. And complete the squad with import 4 and 5.

It's clear they're penny-pinching too, which may yet be ok if they're still prepared to pay decent money for their imports.

Sadly this also means that whilst returning to Perth, Kay won't be returning to the Wildcats, and that they are not holding their breath on Cottons Citizenship.

And yeah, really have to wonder wtf Mills actually does with his time. Is he also in charge of the tee-shirt cannons?

That said, it remains a questionable decision in it's own right.
Whilst last time he was released "to pursue overseas opportunities" and played 2 months in Israel, my reading of it was that he was given a chance and just didn't fit in at the Wildcats. A Selfish, lazy player, who doesn't play D.

Reply #893987 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:19 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754