Isaac
Years ago

Funny Sixers fend off Razorbacks

The Adelaide 36ERS faced a rejuvenated West Sydney Razorbacks last night, hot off a 50 rout of the NZ Breakers, and prevailed in a ho-hum affair, 100 - 92. Jacob Holmes was the only Sixer to make multiple baskets in every quarter and added a reliable 7 of 8 from the free throw line to finish with 20 points and pace the home side. Willie Farley led the Sixers with a game-high 23 points, including 3 of 7 from outside.

The win continues Adelaide's undefeated run at home, making it 8-0 at the Distinctive Homes Dome, and returns them to the top of the Philips Championship ladder, one game up on the Sydney Kings.

The Sixers burst out to a double-digit first quarter lead and looked the far superior team. Oscar Forman again made the early buckets from range, at one stage having a 3-from-3 record from the arc. Pero Vasiljevic made a hometown return and battled to a 21 and 12 double-double to quieten the doubters.

When West Sydney's star guard James Harvey re-injured his troublesome right-shoulder, Adelaide pounced and extended their lead. At the long break, the margin was 20, 54-34.

The visiting side, however, persisted and used a press to disrupt the Adelaide ball-carriers. With captain Brett Maher suffering a gastro problem earlier in the day and below his best, and Brad Hill sidelined with an ankle injury, the Sixers were forced to employ their forwards for some carrying duties and the pressure from the Pigs forced a few turnovers. The result hardly brought them a sustained offensive run, and the third quarter barely allowed West Sydney to reel in the lead. Adelaide up 77-58 with a quarter to play.

Additionally, though Adelaide enjoyed a massive rebounding disparity when the two teams last met in Sydney, this time situations were reversed. NBL Top Ten rebounders Dusty Rychart and Holmes had only 7 rebounds between them and West Sydney pulled down 20 offensive boards for an overall count of 33-53 favouring the Razorbacks. Contributing for the Pigs were Vasiljevic's 12 and Joel Cornette's 13 boards, coupled with 19 points.

The final term was not necessarily a quality spectacle for the fans with West Sydney repeatedly sending Sixers to the charity stripe in a comeback attempt that saw them outscore Adelaide 23-34. The Sixers looked largely disinterested in fending off the Pigs using free throws, but their lead at three-quarter time was too large for the Pigs to break, and they outlasted West Sydney by eight, 100-92.

Adelaide (11-2) now hit the road, facing tough games against Wollongong and Melbourne interstate, while West Sydney (4-9) host the Pirates before visiting Cairns.

Adelaide 36ERS 100 (Farley 23, Holmes 20, Rychart 14, Maher 13, Forman 11, Cooper 10)
West Sydney Razorbacks 92 (Vasiljevic 21, Cornette 19, McGregor 11, Darragh 11, Dann 10)

Topic #5017 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is Nash fit ?

Maybe expecting too much of him but tonight was not his best game. Bring back Hill fast !

Reply #57589 | Report this post

cLaRkY  
Years ago

sixers played a good game. 3rd quarter was a bit of a letdown but they held on in the end.

Good work to Jacob Holmes, he had a good game and played well at both ends.

Maher also had a good game considering that he originally wasnt gonna play

Good Work guys!!

Reply #57592 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

Is that boxscore right? 33 rebounds for the team?!?! HOw often does a team win comfortably when they get outreabounded 53-33? 2 boards only for Holmes? Not having seen the match the boxscore makes for some strange reading, Dusty with some Shaq like free throw shooting (3/8), Cooper a solid match including 4 blocks and 2 boards shy of a double double. Looks like Pero had a nice game too, 21 and 12 with no turnovers in almost 40 minutes.

Reply #57597 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pero's game is not nice - but he was one of the better pigs. if Harvey had not been injured it would have been a completely different ball game.

Reply #57598 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

Wins a win, how good is Maher, thought he was off for good in the 3rd, but a struggling offense and no brad hill left willie as the only ball carier so out comes Maher again - superb!

Request for Dusty/Slambour - Montage of Coop's blocks (A huge one on Pero) - oh and carter's block on Willies dunk was pretty darn good.

Reply #57602 | Report this post

cavalo  
Years ago

From where I was sitting DJ, which is directly in line with the basket at that end, it look liked Farley only missed the dunk. Carter challenged hard, so give him credit for that, but to me me looked like he missed the dunk, not blocked.

Reply #57613 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Does anyone know what the crowd figure was?

Reply #57625 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

what is wrong with brett. I know the tv reports it was a mystery virus or something like that but isaac said on ozhoops he did not want to say but it was not season ending! he has looked tired or off the last couple of weeks i hope its not something like chronic fatigue. I may be reading way too much into it but the last couple of weeks he just seems off, still good numbers but not the same.

Reply #57638 | Report this post

known to all  
Years ago

Maher had gastro for 2 days before and leading into that game . Huge effort to even hit court, it has that jordan feel about it.

Reply #57641 | Report this post

ifeelsore  
Years ago

I saw in the paper today that it is 2 years to the day that Hudson, his son, passed away. I'm sure 36er fans are thinking of Hudson, Brett and his family.Support the Hudson Maher Foundation when you can!!

Reply #57695 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good to see Fox Sports are on the ball.

See here for a photo of Farley's missed dunk attempt with the caption:

"West Sydney's Willie Farley lines up a slam dunk against Perth's Rhys Carter."

http://foxsports.news.com.au/basketball/gallery/0,8667,23773-1,00.html

Reply #57712 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Crowd was apparently 5,517. Fox game, Saturday night, pretty good.

Reply #57745 | Report this post

cLaRkY  
Years ago

i still think the first dunk farley missed was a foul but.... cant pull a perth and want it replayed!! = ]

great work by maher coming out week after week, sick or not to put on a wining effort. He only got his first points in the second quarter!!

Reply #57908 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:57 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754