Isaac
Two years ago

2022 NBA Draft

Givony's mock draft has Dyson Daniels at #7 to Portland, then Ousmane Dieng to the Pelicans at #8. In the second round, Hugo Besson at #44.

Topic #50193 | Report this topic

Big Fudge  
Two years ago

I just want to know who my Magic will be taking! such a tough first pick to make this season with no clear choice between Chet, Jabari and Paolo.

Reply #894279 | Report this post

Daly  
Two years ago

No Kai Sotto in Givony's mock draft? That is a joke.

Kai will get picked up by Sacramento.

Reply #894284 | Report this post

Cram  
Two years ago

Expecting a few trades tomorrow as team's deal draft assets for players who can help in 22-23 with so few top line free agents available.

Reply #894291 | Report this post

hoopie  
Two years ago

I don't get the love for Holmgren - I thought that Paolo and Jabari were much more suitable for the NBA.

Reply #894295 | Report this post

Big Fudge  
Two years ago

Hoopie - 7 footer who can shoot the transition 3 ball, handle the rock, block shots... whats not to like.

His only issue is weight, Giannis was no different coming in to the league, Durant another (though Durant was a better scorer coming in).

Personally for me, I would go Paolo or Jabari first as well, but I do get the hype behind Chet.

In regards to Sacramento, I can see them trading the pick.

Reply #894296 | Report this post

Cake  
Two years ago

Having watched him all season, I would have Banchero behind Smith and Holmgren. I'd take Holmgren first, which means I'd be delighted to see him in OKC with Giddey. The hype is partly about the unicorn stuff, but we've seen with Porzingis that size and shooting don't equal guaranteed success. Holmgren is also a really good defender, has consistently produced against elite competition, and has a mix of ego and team-first mentality that makes for a good alpha. There are durability questions but those exist for a lot of top-tier prospects.

I can't figure out the Duke one-and-dones, though. Some I thought were sure-fire stars haven't been able to find roles, and I definitely didn't envision Tatum being as good as he is.

Reply #894313 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Two years ago

Do we get Sotto back when he isn't drafted? Or is he gone either way?

Reply #894328 | Report this post

Cram  
Two years ago

I think Holmgren is the biggest chance of those big three of being a bust. There's a long history of team's falling in love with big guys and ignoring their flaws. Especially so in a year after a guy like Mobley ended up being better than expected. I'm not saying Chet will be a bust or even no good, but there's a higher chance for him than the other two though

Reply #894329 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

Giddey-Jerome-Maledon
SGA-Mann
Dort-KenrichWilliams-Wiggins
Bazley-Roby
Holmgren-RobinsonEarl-Muscala

Pick up another sg after #12
Ditch the rest of okc roster

Reply #894335 | Report this post

Cram  
Two years ago

Banchero #1 so now OKC have the choice of Smith or Holmgren. They wouldnt have expected that. Be interesting to see where they go.

Reply #894337 | Report this post

Big Fudge  
Two years ago

So glad we took Banchero, NBA ready and can score the ball in a variety of ways.. most complete versatile player in the draft.

Reply #894338 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

Italy n.t absolutely stacked going forward.

Reply #894339 | Report this post

Cram  
Two years ago

Chet to OKC. Clearly got the guy they wanted.

Reply #894340 | Report this post

Big Fudge  
Two years ago

Jabari Smith Jr going to Houston, he never worked out with them only did workouts with Orlando and OKC... didnt look happy

Reply #894341 | Report this post

Cram  
Two years ago

But he's got "stay humble" on his chest so clearly he won't be upset at going #3. Right?

Reply #894343 | Report this post

Big Fudge  
Two years ago

I think its a good fit to be honest, they moved Christian Wood so he is going to slot in at the 4 and will get plenty of opportunity.

Reply #894344 | Report this post

Cram  
Two years ago

Yeah i think Smith will actually do well there if his team mates ever pass him the ball.

on the "is it better to go NBL NExt Star or G League Ignite?" question, a guy just got drafted ahead of any of those prospects who didnt play anywhere last year so clearly not playing is the best option.

Reply #894345 | Report this post

Cram  
Two years ago

Daniels to New Orleans seems to be a great fit.

He'll be on a good team but will have a chance to contribute as potentially the first or second wing off the bench.

Reply #894346 | Report this post

Big Fudge  
Two years ago

Actually really liking what the Pelicans are doing, especially if Zion can get healthy and contribute. McCollum was a great trade last season.

Reply #894348 | Report this post

Cram  
Two years ago

oooh Dieng to the Knicks. A very Knicksy move swinging for the fences.

Reply #894349 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

Dieng to okc

Reply #894350 | Report this post

Cram  
Two years ago

I actually may have been too harsh on the Knicks. Moving Dieng to OKC for multiple firsts. Actually seems a wise move for NYC. OKC can better afford to take a swing like that. Still surprised they didnt just wait to see if he lands at 12

Reply #894351 | Report this post

Mystro  
Two years ago

Dieng headed to OKC via trade
Some exciting young players on their roster for next season

Reply #894353 | Report this post

Big Fudge  
Two years ago

Cram, you werent being harsh on the Knicks... its the Knicks, bad decisions is generally what they are good at.

Reply #894354 | Report this post

Cake  
Two years ago

Cram, totally agree that Holmgren is the most likely to be a bust. But I don't see Banchero as a potential generational talent, and Holmgren has been a much more consistent shooter. Tatum is the one that interests me as a comp for Banchero because they both looked tentative at (many) times at Duke, and I wonder if that's because both were playing the NBA-wing role of primary offensive initiator and it was new to them. If Banchero's 'feel' is only as good as he showed at Duke, I think his ceiling is all-star. If it's better than that, it's higher. But I'm more comfortable with what I've seen of Holmgren's shooting and IQ, the two most valuable traits in the modern NBA. I will give Banchero that I think he did a fantastic job of letting the game come to him, and often made the right play rather than forcing his own offence.

I like Murray in Sacramento. They are so much better off taking guys like him and Davion Mitchell, who have the maturity to help with culture, rather than one-and-dones they don't have the infrastructure to develop.

Reply #894355 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

Giddey-Jerome-Maledon
SGA-Mann-Williams
Dort-KenrichWilliams-Wiggins
Bazley-Roby-Dieng
Holmgren-RobinsonEarl-Muscala

Looks like pocucevski might be gone.
Frazier, krejci and Waters the others used last season.

Reply #894356 | Report this post

Big Fudge  
Two years ago

Cake - whilst Banchero may not be a generational talent, if I had to pick between him, Holmgren or Smith to have the best career in the NBA id be taking Banchero... 19 years old, he can improve his outside shooting because his mechanics arent bad. He can already score inside and has a great NBA ready body, along with his playmaking ability I am really excited my Magic chose him.

Reply #894357 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

Banchero had some trouble with cramps, happened several times at duke.

Reply #894358 | Report this post

Big Fudge  
Two years ago

So did LeBron in San Antonio ;)

Reply #894359 | Report this post

TR  
Two years ago

Charlotte doing Bobcat things.

Traded Jalen Duren to Detroit for the Bucks 2025 1st round pick and four 2nd rounders. Unless Hayward is going to Detroit of the Knicks, this is a f***ed trade.

Mark Williams at 15 is a great pick though. The last time the Hornets picked at 13, and then traded the pick, it was Kobe (noting that Kobe was never going to play for the Hornets, so they had to make the trade).

Reply #894360 | Report this post

Cram  
Two years ago

I very much doubt Kobe would have sat out if the Hornets held on to him. As an untested rookie who clearly nobody expected to be as good as he was, it wasnt as if he had any power.

Reply #894361 | Report this post

Statman84  
Two years ago

When will Kai Sotto be drafted?

Reply #894365 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Two years ago

Just after Luke Travers

Reply #894366 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

Canada now have 30 nba players.

Reply #894369 | Report this post

Isaac  
Two years ago

OKC pick Jalen Williams and Jaylin Williams in the same draft.

Reply #894370 | Report this post

Isaac  
Two years ago

Hugo Besson at #58 to Milwaukee - the last pick in the draft.

Reply #894381 | Report this post

KET  
Two years ago

Sotto undrafted?

Reply #894383 | Report this post

Isaac  
Two years ago

Seems so. Might get a summer league arrangement or two-way contract. Shams and Woj are putting out a few of those on Twitter right now.

Reply #894384 | Report this post

Cram  
Two years ago

3 NBL guys drafted and only 1 was a Next Star.

Reply #894386 | Report this post

Mystro  
Two years ago

Awesome that Dieng, Travers and Besson all had their names called.
Congratulations to the players and their families.

I wonder if Indiana may stash Besson in NZ?

Reply #894387 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

Next year nbl draftees

Hukporti
Digbeu
Sotto
Rupert

Aussies, maybe

Proctor
Armstrong

Reply #894388 | Report this post

Crackers65  
Two years ago

Can't believe Kai Soto not taken. These damned Americans know nothing about basketball.

Reply #894392 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Two years ago

How come there were only 58 picks, NBA draft is always 60 picks?

Reply #894394 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Two years ago

2 teams forfeited their late picks

Reply #894395 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Two years ago

Surprised Travers got drafted but Sotto didn't, then again NBA scouts aren't exactly the best judges.

Reply #894397 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Two years ago

Seriously Luc? I've never heard of an NBA team forfeiting draft picks?

Reply #894398 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Two years ago

Why did the Bucks lose a second round NBA Draft pick?
The Bucks were forced to forfeit a second-round pick this year for an illegal sign-and-trade with the Kings for Bogdan Bogdanovic. During the delayed free agency period before the 2020-21 season, Bogdanovic was a part of a trade that occurred on Nov. 17 when free agency wasn't to start until Nov. 20.
The NBA investigated how the deal occurred, and found the Bucks jumped the gun in talking to Bogdanovic. To add insult to injury, the trade ultimately fell through, leaving the Bucks with a voided pick and nothing to show for it.

Why did the Heat lose a second round NBA Draft pick?
The Heat also engaged in some shenanigans during a delayed free agency period, albeit more successfully. NBA free agency didn't begin until Aug. 2 last season. It had hardly commenced when Kyle Lowry was announced to Miami, slamming the door on one of the more pervasive questions of the offseason.
The NBA didn't do anything to void Lowry's deal and he was able to sign without issue, but the Heat were eventually stripped of their second-rounder.

https://www.sportingnews.com/au/nba/news/miami-heat-milwaukee-bucks-forfeited-round-2-picks-nba-draft/j15bzzp9cx5sfs08wvpm1uqw

Reply #894403 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Two years ago

Ok thanks not so much forfeited as taken off of them but still I can't remember that happening before either.

Reply #894407 | Report this post

Cram  
Two years ago

"Next year nbl draftees

Hukporti
Digbeu
Sotto
Rupert"

Sotto entered this season so, no.

Reply #894411 | Report this post

Daly  
Two years ago

Might be a dumb question, but can Kai Sotto enter the draft again next year? He has clear lottery potential but just lacked the exposure in the NBL due to CJ Bruton not really liking him.

Reply #894418 | Report this post

Anon  
Two years ago

No. Sotto is now an undrafted free agent and not eligible to enter the draft next year. He should have got better advice. If hukporti is holding back another year Sotto should have too.

Reply #894422 | Report this post

Anon  
Two years ago

Did Digbeu pull out of the Draft? Otherwise he isn't eligible next year either, and will lose eligibility to be a next star.
Some of these kids need better people taking to them about declaring as an international. Travers I think was lucky, and unlikely to play. Good on the kid for getting picked up but Brad Newley also got drafted.

Reply #894423 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Two years ago

As did Ater Majok and he never really got near the NBA either, Ben Pepper got drafted by the Celtics same draft CJ Bruton got picked too.

Reply #894429 | Report this post

Cram  
Two years ago

Ben Pepper got drafted!

I wouldnt have thought being drafted would affect their status as a next star since they're 2 year contracts? But then who knows with the rules changing so often

Reply #894431 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

What being draft does is open up a lot of interest in Asia and Europe, where you can earn very good money

Reply #894432 | Report this post

Toddy  
Two years ago

So much for "Sotto will definitely be picked blah blah blah". He didn't go anywhere

Reply #894440 | Report this post

AussiePride  
Two years ago

Massive error by Sotto's camp in getting him in the draft this year. At best a late second rounder whereas if he continued his improvement would have been a certain first rounder next year. Opportunity lost!

Reply #894521 | Report this post

An1234  
Two years ago

What's the latest year Mojave King can get drafted? Doing well in NZ. Hope he gets an opportunity. I liked the small glimpses he showed

Reply #894560 | Report this post

Stevy  
Two years ago

Taking the 1 million USD 5-year deal from Real Madrid in 2018 would have been the best option for Kai in hindsight, but it's too bad that his handlers/camp have made poor decisions for him throughout his career (Declining Euro offers for AAU, leaving ignite for cancelled Gilas games or not going to NCAA). They were too greedy in my opinion. Kai is the kind of guy you have to develop, especially being a big guy.

His camp was rushing him throughout his career and looking for the fastest way to get compensated. They should have gone with it slowly but surely and now he's undrafted. He simply needs to make better decisions at this point of his career and stay away from his dumb advisers. I would like him to finish his contract in Adelaide first and take it from there.

Reply #894564 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

Wow wow wow Kai Sotto and his camp declined an offer like that from Real Madrid? Hahahaha.

What utter morons.

Reply #894576 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

To put things into perspective formthose who don't understand Luka Doncic was also offered (and signed) a five year deal with Real Madrid as a teen.

Evidently not good enough for Sotto though. How can you decline development in Europe from the best club with its massive resources plus a decent salary to boot?

Amazing.

Reply #894580 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

Lost for words, if any may describe it, money hungry.

Reply #894581 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

Thanks to Stevy for sharing that nugget of gold. I'm still shocked at their stupidity.

Reply #894583 | Report this post

Stevy  
Two years ago

I really feel bad for Kai. His camp throughout the years has always been about the money, always about the commercials, the sponsorships, selling merchandise, etc. They even have a Kaiju Basketball Academy in Ohio (unbelievable).

Kai's camp focused more on his brand and revenue instead of doing what's best for his basketball career and potential. 

It's really unfortunate that he has bad people around him. Kai's career is far from over and he is still young, but it's really painful and sad to see what these people around him have done.

Reply #894588 | Report this post

hoopie  
Two years ago

Dumb advisers? Shades of the Simmons camp?

Reply #894592 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:18 am, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754