Anon
Two years ago

Judd Flavell Leaves Phoenix

Judd Flavell Leaves Phoenix to Pursue Head Coaching Roles

Phoenix Assistant Judd Flavell will not return to the Phoenix for NBL23.

A foundation member of the Phoenix coaching staff, Flavell has made the difficult decision to leave the club to enable him to focus on taking the next step in his coaching career.

"It was a tough decision not to return, but I am now in a place in my career where I want to focus on chasing Head Coaching opportunities," Flavell said.

"I brought my heart and soul to the team and am truly proud of what we have built with our culture and identity that has established the Phoenix from a start-up club to a legitimate force in the NBL."

Flavell and his family moved to Melbourne for the team's inaugural season and quickly became members of the Phoenix family.

"Overall, this was a fantastic experience; my family and I got to meet some amazing people along the way. I want to thank the players, staff and coaches I got to work with and learn from and am incredibly grateful to have built some lifelong relationships on this journey," he said.

Head coach Simon Mitchell praised Flavell's work ethic and basketball IQ.

"Juddy has been an integral member of our performance department since joining us for season one. His NBL experience and knowledge of the league, work ethic and basketball IQ will be sorely missed by myself, our staff and the playing group," he said. "He is one of the finest coaches in the NBL, but we completely understand it's time for him to return to his family back in New Zealand."

The Kiwi national assistant coach, Flavell was instrumental in bringing a number of New Zealand players to the Phoenix. They included Reuben Te Rangi, Yanni Wetzal and Izayah Le'Afa.

Flavell took the head coaching reigns for the first time this past season when Head Coach Simon Mitchell was out due to Covid protocols. The Phoenix recorded one win and one loss with Flavell in charge.

"I'd like to thank Simon and Tommy for the fantastic opportunity and their ongoing support. It's been a fun ride with plenty of highs," he said.

The Phoenix wish the Flavell family all the best for the future.

The Phoenix are in the process of recruiting a new assistant coach to join Simon Mitchell and new assistant coach, Craig Simpson.

Topic #50196 | Report this topic

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

B league...

Reply #894312 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Two years ago

So both Flavell & Kendall have quit?

Reply #894314 | Report this post

Boba Fett  
Two years ago

LK has moved on.

Reply #894316 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:16 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754