Isaac
Two years ago

Dellavedova named as Boomers captain for qualifiers

Three-time Olympian and 'Rose Gold' Boomer, Matthew Dellavedova will captain the national team at this week’s FIBA World Cup Qualifiers, set to tip-off on Thursday night at John Cain Arena.

The most experienced Boomers’ campaigner on the team, this series will be Dellavedova’s first appearance in the green and gold since their history-making bronze medal win at the Tokyo Olympics.

With six players set to make their Boomers debut come Thursday night, Head Coach, Brian Goorjian’s priority is to continue building on that culture that strongly contributed to their Tokyo success.

"We’ve got a young group here and nobody represents the ‘Rose Gold’ better than Delly. He has the history of the culture of the Boomers, and we want a flow over from what took place at the Olympic Games, keep that momentum, keep carrying on and keep raising the standards as far as the culture of the team goes," Goorjian told BA Media.

“We have a five-day window, so we’ve got to move quick. First day, he’s the man. We’re going to use him a lot in that role, try to touch on the culture with these young guys every day and he’ll be leading that.”

These FIBA World Cup Qualifiers will be Dellavedova’s first time captaining the Australian team and comes extra special when playing in front of a home crowd.

“It’s a great honour to be the captain, a great responsibility and not something I take lightly,” Dellavedova told BA Media.

“There’s nothing better than pulling on the green and gold and doing it in front of a home crowd, it doesn’t happen very often, so we definitely want to make the most of it.

“These games are really important for qualification and seeding. We’ve got a great group and we’re really looking forward to it.”

The Boomers will hit the John Cain Arena court this Thursday, Friday and Sunday night.

Thursday, June 30 Australia v China 6:30pm AEST
Friday, July 1 China v Chinese Taipei 5:00pm AEST
Friday, July 1 Japan v Australia 7:30pm AEST
Sunday, July 3 Japan v Chinese Taipei 4:00pm AEST
Sunday, July 3 China v Australia 6:30pm AEST
Monday, July 4 Chinese Taipei v China 6:30pm AEST

Topic #50208 | Report this topic

Screeningnick  
Two years ago

Any word on the teams China and Japan are bringing?

Are they bringing their A teams?

Reply #894634 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Two years ago

Have to appreciate the efforts made to carry over Boomers culture to every new player that touches it. Players come and go but culture is the thing great teams can always turn to to make any group bigger than the sum of their parts. The transition of this Boomers team from the Bogut-Baynes-Delly-Mills-Ingles core to what will likely be the Giddey-Daniels-Exum (Simmons?) and co core so far appears seamless and will keep us in the hunt well into the future.

Reply #894640 | Report this post

a5ian nbl fan  
Two years ago

https://t.co/1zPUuuFwlX The squads for each team

Reply #894642 | Report this post

pattymillsMVP  
Two years ago

If we get everyone for WC or Paris will it be our best team yet?

Giddey
Daniels
Thybulle
Simmons
Landale
Mills
Exum
Green
Ingles
Kay

Reply #894644 | Report this post

AngusH  
Two years ago

A lot depends on how the young guys pan out.

Reply #894645 | Report this post

Yup  
Two years ago

Easily most talented, Green n Giddey more seasoned, adding Daniels to the group...

Simmons shouldn't be on the list...

Reply #894647 | Report this post

Mat B  
Two years ago

It simmons is not available, who replaced him on that list?

Keanue Pinder?
Jack White?

Reply #894648 | Report this post

Mat B  
Two years ago

If ^

Reply #894649 | Report this post

EssenX  
Two years ago

People are wasting time considering Simmons. Move on. Boomers are fine without him. Same with NZ and Adams; the I might, I'm thinking about it, and then pulling out last minute and trashing the team and/or organisation having just wasted their time and effort over the past 12-18 is unnecessary distraction. If the Boomers had Bogut and/or Baynes doesn’t get injured, and maybe a Giddey/Daniels the way they are now, then Boomers were not far from gold. Simmons is surplus to requirements.

Reply #894650 | Report this post

DennisRodmansHair  
Two years ago

I don't think we will ever see Simmons in a Boomers jersey again, not unless there is a major attitude shift.

Reply #894651 | Report this post

Cram  
Two years ago

Trying to pick a 12 so far out is pointless anyway.

I think for the next 5-10 years our back court is looking great. Giddey, Green, Daniels, Thybulle, Exum is a good new core if healthy and available.

The bigs are less straightforward. There's clearly plenty of good players there with Landale, Kay, the Makers, etc. But are any really guys that you can look at and say "they're a lock to be in the squad (not even final team) for the next few cycles? I think we're gonna rely a lot more on who's in form for those spots and hope guys can come in and surprise like Kay did.

Reply #894652 | Report this post

Stevy  
Two years ago

@Screeningnick

China is bringing the best players that they can, while Japan is bringing a young team with veterans (which makes sense since they are already qualified).

Reply #894654 | Report this post

Aussie  
Two years ago

For the Boomers in 2023 and 2024, I see these guys as locks (my opinion)

Giddey
Mills
Landale
Reath
Ingles
Daniels
Exum
Kay
Thybulle
Green

Leaving 2 spots left.

Maybe:
Cooks
Acuil
Baynes?
Humphries
Magnay
Proctor
Travers
Thon Maker

Reply #894656 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Two years ago

"If we get everyone for WC or Paris will it be our best team yet?

Giddey
Daniels
Thybulle
Simmons
Landale
Mills
Exum
Green
Ingles
Kay
"

We have a lot of wings that are extremely athletic, great defenders but cant shoot the three. Something is going to have to give in that line up.
As for will it be our best team yet? Potentially, but I see a big glaring weakness inside and out the three point line. It's a team that is begging for a healthy Aron Baynes and a replacement for Ryan Broekhoff (or THE Broekhoff if he learns to play basketball again).

"It simmons is not available, who replaced him on that list?

Keanue Pinder?
Jack White?"

Thon Maker or Xavier Cooks would have to get a real look.

-

This is the Chinese team
Fu Hao, Zhao Jiwei, Guo Ailun, Zhu Junlong, Sun Minghui, Wang Zhelin, Ren Junwei, Wu Qian, Zhao Rui, Xu Jie, Hu Mingxuan, Shen Zijie, Gu Quan, Fan Ziming, Abudushalamu Abudurexiti, Zhou Qi
By virtue of knowing some of the names I can say it's probably some of their best

-

"For the Boomers in 2023 and 2024, I see these guys as locks (my opinion)

Giddey
Mills
Landale
Reath
Ingles
Daniels
Exum
Kay
Thybulle
Green

Leaving 2 spots left.

Maybe:
Cooks
Acuil
Baynes?
Humphries
Magnay
Proctor
Travers
Thon Maker"

Aron Baynes is definitely still a question mark and on paper, if healthy, would be just the kind of player the team needs. Mangok Mathiang was an NBA player not that long ago and has the size and athleticism.

I also wouldn't cpunt out a spot for Rocco Zikarsky. Yeah, he's 16 but will be 18ish by the time the next Olympics roll around. He's 7'2 - Made the All Star 5 for the Emus at the Asia Cup. Andrew Bogut was a similar age and on a similar trajectory. Early days but given his size and mobility - from what I've seen - he's a name to remember.

Reply #894660 | Report this post

Mat B  
Two years ago

Me: "Thon Maker or Xavier Cooks would have to get a real look"

I agree, on the basis of Maker's availability and willingness.
Re Cooks, he would seamlessly fill any role offered him on the team

I do believe that both Pinder and White both have great potential to improve more and be morergan capable of playing valuable minutes for the boomers at a major tournament should the opportunity be presented to either of them.

Reply #894668 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Two years ago

Pinder and White have the potential to Nick Kay themselves into contention, with Pinder having the clear athletic advantage. If either of them can develop a consistent three point stroke then they'd really be knocking on the door.

Reply #894674 | Report this post

Yup  
Two years ago

Pindar had a great year but is a long way behind Jack White in terms of boomer contention

Reply #894675 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

Zikarsky, cmon dude, he will struggle to make the 27 WC and 28 Olympics at 21/22.

Certainly a deep pool building
Just 1995 onwards

Giddey-Exum-MCdowellWhite-Armstrong-Bayles-Duach
Daniels-Green-Vasljevic-Glover-Proctor-King-Antonio
Thybulle-Travers-Kuol-Noi-Galloway-Mayen-Grida-Ducas
Simmons-Cooks-White-Mcveigh-Galloway-Maker-Okwera
Landale-Reath-Maker-Pinder-Magnay-Humphries-Froling-Hunter-Gak

Missed probably a few..

Reply #894676 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

I'd think white is a 4/3 and Pinder a 5/4

Reply #894677 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

Forgot kuol has decided to play for South Sudan...

Reply #894678 | Report this post

Boba Fett  
Two years ago

Pinder a Boomer? You can't be serious.

Reply #894679 | Report this post

Aussie  
Two years ago

"Zikarsky, cmon dude, he will struggle to make the 27 WC and 28 Olympics at 21/22"

I'm with ME on this one.

Rocco is developing nicely. I've pretty much watched all of his games.

7'2, runs the floor well, is athletic, great touch around the basket, timing on his blocked shots is elite.

Considering he hasn't even turned 16 yet, I see him easily being drafted at 19/20 years of age.

He has a bit of agro to him too, he certainly doesn't lack confidence.

May be too early for Paris Olympics but don't rule him out for the WC or Olympics after that.

Reply #894683 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

a 20 year old centre in 2027 will overtake Landale, Reath, Maker, Magnay, Humphries, Froling, Pinder, Hunter etc

Landale and Reath are the 2 currently at the top, Landale 32 and Reath 31 (prime) in 2027.
Even if Zikarsky is drafted after 1 year as a ns in the nbl, I don't see him making it as a boomer in his first year nba player, if... he makes it.

Made even harder that the 2005/2006 centre nba prospects worldwide is very very deep.
Just from this u17 upcoming WC, these aren’t just big players but highly touted.

Zikarsky 7’2 06 AUS
Rioux 7’6 06 CAN
Malasevic 7’2 05 SER
Mara 7’3 05 SPA
Sarr 7’0 05 FRA
EvansIII 7’1 05 USA

Doesn’t include any other top prospect outside of WC. (Euros, africa, ncaa)
4 in Africa alone on future mock drafts.

Zikarsky is up against 10+ guys in same draft class just as tall and just as talented.

Reply #894685 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

Sorry, gacic was the Serbian prospect not malasevic

Reply #894686 | Report this post

Aussie  
Two years ago

Rioux 7'6 06 CAN
Malasevic 7’2 05 SER
Mara 7’3 05 SPA
Sarr 7’0 05 FRA
EvansIII 7’1 05 USA

Great to see he will be up against some genuine size.

Looking forward to seeing how Rocco goes

Reply #894687 | Report this post

Yup  
Two years ago

lol at people predicting if a 16 year old will be ready for 2027 tournament...

Reply #894688 | Report this post

Saint23  
Two years ago

does playing in the nba automatically make u a Boomer?

Reply #894689 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

Atm it does

Reply #894693 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Two years ago

Only on hoops.com.au. In real life, no.

Reply #894696 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Two years ago

Bogut was an Olympian at 20 and it was his very first Boomers role. I dont find it unthinkable Zikarsky could do the same. He's the exact type of player the new generation lacks - a genuine big man

Reply #894697 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

That was 17 years ago...
We had little depth in the squad in the big man department.

Reply #894698 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Two years ago

Do we have much depth there now? I am not seeing a Bogut or Baynes type replacement in anyone else. And if nothing else Rocco appears to have that kind of body type. We were lucky last Olympics not to have been sat with a France or Spain.

Reply #894700 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

The same body type, you must be joking...

Reply #894701 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Two years ago

Hes a fairly physically big kid for his age, look at the width of his shoulders. You can put a good amount of muscle on him

Reply #894702 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

2 brick shite houses over 260 pounds vs a string bean 7'2 kid.

Reply #894703 | Report this post

Mat B  
Two years ago

So yeah, as per the title, I'm keen to see how Delly goes.
Nothing but admiration for his continued willingness to rep the green and gold at every opportunity.
The pick n roll with Maker should be a go to throughout the series

I'm looking forward to an aggressive McVeigh with potential for some big numbers with his self confident shot-making.

The biggest unknown will be chemistry given the short prep time, but we can expect high level intensity and application on the back of the high standards set by the group in Tokyo

Reply #894712 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

They have been together for ten days, bevo had two days in Japan in February. Preparation time isn't an issue.
I’m expecting a easy wins.

Reply #894713 | Report this post

Mat B  
Two years ago

Maybe, but I don't think China will be a walk over

Reply #894714 | Report this post

Eagle  
Two years ago

Hey just wondering if anyone knows if these games will be available to watch online anywhere? Cheers

Reply #894717 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

ESPN will become the new broadcast home of international basketball for the next four years, having agreed to an exclusive partnership with FIBA, the International Basketball Federation.

The Boomers' upcoming FIBA Basketball World Cup 2023 qualification series against China and Japan will also be live on June 30, July 1 and July 3.

Reply #894718 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Two years ago

"2 brick shite houses over 260 pounds vs a string bean 7'2 kid."

Go find footage of them at the same age

Reply #894720 | Report this post

Senator11  
Two years ago

Just having a look on Kayo and they've only listed the first game.

Australia vs China 30th June @ 4.30pm

Not sure if that is AEST or WA time, mines set to WA so assume it's WA time.

Reply #894729 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

Japanese side same as the February team, no nba guys I'm hearing, if correct it should be easy win.
China will be tougher but again should not cause problems.

Reply #894730 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

Tipoff is 6:30PM EST.

Reply #894739 | Report this post

Yup  
Two years ago

Remember when Luke Schenscher was gonna be the next great Aussie big?

Reply #894746 | Report this post

rjd  
Two years ago

Is Green such a lock for future teams? I haven't seen much of him in the NBA. He only just made the team over Giddey in Tokyo as Goorjian's young player selection. He didn't show any sort of perimeter shot, just some decent D and athleticism. I'm just not sure if that skillset is enough to make the team as a lock when you already have players like Thybulle and Daniels and our main shooting wing player, Ingles, is not guaranteed to be available.

Reply #894771 | Report this post

Young Gun  
Two years ago

one thing is clear with many of the names mentioned. For the long-term sustainability of the Boomers program, we need to keep the NBL Roots program going:

https://www.betootaadvocate.com/sports/nbl-grassroots-program-mostly-based-around-encouraging-american-players-to-have-kids-here/

Reply #894789 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

Yes, green is a lock atm. No doubt about it.

Reply #894790 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

If Thybulle doesn't get approval, could be...

Giddey-Exum
Mills-Cotton-Green
Ingles-Daniels
Simmons-Kay-Cooks
Landale-Reath

Ingles is on borrowed time and we have no idea what’s happening with Baynes

all defense lineup

PG Exum
SG Daniels
SF Thybulle
PF Kay or Cooks
C Simmons

Reply #894791 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Two years ago

". I'm just not sure if that skillset is enough to make the team as a lock when you already have players like Thybulle and Daniels and our main shooting wing player, Ingles, is not guaranteed to be available."

Yeah something has to give. Green, Thybulle and Daniels all give a lot of the same things. I am not sure you can take all three and succeed in FIBA basketball. Defensively excellent but if you cant make open threes you're going to have a problem. Issue is even more stark IF (big IF) Ben Simmons gets involved.

"If Thybulle doesn't get approval, could be...

Giddey-Exum
Mills-Cotton-Green
Ingles-Daniels
Simmons-Kay-Cooks
Landale-Reath
"

That would probably be a more balanced line up than one with Thybulle in it. I am not sure I put Reath over JLA or Thon Maker just yet though. Big question marks inside which can only be answered with Simmons. Take Simmons out of that line up and I dont see us competing with France, Spain, and the bigger teams in the tournament. Aron Baynes almost becomes a necessity. We were lucky with our draw in Tokyo. I am not sure we medal had we been on the other side of things. Thats not to take anything away from the team - the Boomers deserved some good luck after decades of disappointment. But we did get some luck. Every medalling team generally does. But we cant go thinking we've got things covered inside just because we managed to make it work last time.

Reply #894797 | Report this post

Cram  
Two years ago

Yeah bigs and shooting is fast becoming our weakness which is crazy because they've always been our strengths. From Bradtke > Bogut > Baynes inside and Gaze > Heal > Patty/Ingles as shooters.

We're kind of at risk of becoming what the old USA teams were, just without the overall talent.

Reply #894799 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Two years ago

Yep. Some great players are going to have to miss out on spots to make way for role players who arent as talented but provide attributes the core lacks. I think Goorjian will be wise enough that he makes those tough decisions, gladly. Its the kind of thing that unfortunately sees the Cam Gliddons and Nathan Sobeys of the world on the plane. It's a necessary evil unfortunately. I really don't think you can have Thybulle, Daniels and Green on the same team unless one or more of them learns how to shoot. If you do get Simmons I'd almost lean towards putting Cotton on the team because of the extra need for a shooter.

Reply #894805 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

one thing is clear with many of the names mentioned. For the long-term sustainability of the Boomers program, we need to keep the NBL Roots program going:

https://www.betootaadvocate.com/sports/nbl-grassroots-program-mostly-based-around-encouraging-american-players-to-have-kids-here/

Hehehe.

NBL Roots > Next Stars. The original and best scheme, and it's all natural baby.

Reply #894853 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:46 pm, Tue 23 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754