PeterJohn
Two years ago

NBL to Return to October-March Window: Loeliger

See https://nbl.com.au/news/nbl-to-return-to-october-march-window-loeliger

Hoping to run from "the last week of September or first week of October. Back in our traditional season schedule playing through until sometime in March."

Also mentions finals' play-in tournament - "an announcement on its structure can be expected in the next few weeks, as numerous models remain a possibility...We have several drafts sitting on the desk of what the Play-In will look like...ticking all the boxes in terms of extending the interest of the season into more markets for longer"

Topic #50209 | Report this topic

NBLTigers  
Two years ago

NBL is thinking of my idea again, not surprised at all.

Reply #894691 | Report this post

KET  
Two years ago

What was your idea

Reply #894694 | Report this post

NBLTigers  
Two years ago

My idea was 3rd vs 4th play-in for 3rd seed.

5th vs 6th play-in for loser of 3rd/4th seed match.

3rd/4th vs 5th/6th for 4th seed.

Top-2 only rest and wait for their opponents.

Only 3 games which makes it short and sweet, good for everyone.

Semis won't change and Final won’t change.

Reply #894711 | Report this post

KET  
Two years ago

Yep I like it

Reply #894716 | Report this post

LV  
Two years ago

Agreed, good plan

I'm a big fans of play-ins in sports, they make sense on multiple levels. But primarily, keeping more fans engaged for longer

Reply #894724 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

Also mentions finals' play-in tournament

ScoMo weeps.

Reply #894725 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

Forde and the kings the previous season finished equal 4th and missed out on percentage. They were playing well at season end as well beat United and hawks. History could have changed totally if play ins were a part then.

Reply #894726 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Two years ago

"I'm a big fans of play-ins in sports"

I'm a big fan of a final 5 or 6 in a 10-team league, not so much a fan of copying the NBA's new name for something the NBL did years ago!

Reply #894735 | Report this post

NBLTigers  
Two years ago

If this idea happened last season it would of made the finals interesting.

(5) Perth vs (6) S.E. Melbourne
Rematch from last round.

(3) Sydney vs (4) Tasmania
Kings should of finished top-2 but were inconsistent in their final matches. Sydney would still be favourites over Tasmania which gives Illawarra a little edge over Sydney in their series. More likely that series would of gone to game 3 instead of a sweep.

Makes the matchups unpredictable depending on those's play-in matches above.

All top-6 teams were above .500.

My prediction would be.

Day 1:
Perth defeat S.E. Melbourne.
Sydney defeat Tasmania.

Day 2:
Perth defeats Tasmania.

Semifinal 1:
Melbourne defeats Perth 2-0.

Semifinal 2:
Illawarra defeats Sydney 2-1.

Grand Final:
Melbourne defeats Illawarra 3-2.

Reply #894737 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

I'm a big fan of a final 5 or 6 in a 10-team league, not so much a fan of copying the NBA's new name for something the NBL did years ago!

Exactly, it's nothing new but everyone seems to have forgotten about it.

Reply #894738 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Two years ago

In theory the 3v4, 5v6, 3/4 v 5/6 play-in is not bad, but my worry with that setup is that either it is a lot of sitting around for teams 1 & 2, or an excessively compressed schedule for the lower teams, neither of which is ideal IMO.
I want everyone to be playing their best basketball in the playoffs.

Reply #894740 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

No one was beating Sydney last season, no many how many play ins you had, they were far superior in all roster spots.

Reply #894741 | Report this post

Big Fudge  
Two years ago

Not a fan of it personally... top 4 teams deserve to be in the finals and the regular season should be considered the play in as ideally thats exactly what it is.

In a league where you have a draft then sure a play-in will engage teams with a chance of playing finals still to not tank... the NBL doesnt have such thing as a draft so its pointless to me.

Reply #894742 | Report this post

NBLTigers  
Two years ago

It is a disadvantage for teams 3-6 with more games played, but it's hard enough finishing in the top-2 so those’s teams need some sort of advantage going into finals.

3-4 seeds possibly only play one extra game which isn’t a disadvantage. Just bad on the loser, but they still get home court advantage being the higher seed.

Exciting for the team that finishes 3rd. You could possibly get 2 more home finals in a row if you lose to 4th and then host 5th/6th.

Reply #894743 | Report this post

Big Fudge  
Two years ago

Fans already don't attend those early games as they aren't a part of the membership and they choose to hold off spending more money as they wait for the GF.

You could realistically be having a team with a losing record making finals over a team with a winning record all because they fluke a win... what you will then be left with is a lop sided semi finals series as opposed to the ones we have seen the last couple season where we have had upsets in the semi and some really great SF series played.

Reply #894744 | Report this post

Yup  
Two years ago

They'd have to fluke 2 wins...

Highly unlikely but if they do they prolly deserve a spot in the finals

Reply #894745 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:10 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754