Mystro
Two years ago

Wildcats Coach

It is reported Perth have recently interviewed a number of people to replace Scott Morrison as the Wildcats Head Coach.

Will Weaver
John Rillie
Jacob Chance
Judd Flavell

Thoughts?

Topic #50210 | Report this topic

Outlook  
Two years ago

Still early days. The list to interview is quite long, but Chance is the best candidate at this stage.

Reply #894751 | Report this post

Drexler  
Two years ago

Either of the first 2

Reply #894752 | Report this post

Mobbin  
Two years ago

Wouldn't Weaver just be the same as Morrison... an assistant coach not ready for the head position
Chance is the "bring back to culture" and knows the Gleeson game plan option but then is he ready for head responsibilities
Don't know the coaching credentials of Rillie and Flavell

Reply #894756 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

Weaver is a gun, but why would he comeback when he left after one season at kings chasing an nba gig.
Chance is good enough already.

Reply #894758 | Report this post

NBLTigers  
Two years ago

I hope Judd Flavell gets the Wildcats job. Has had 16 years of nbl coaching experience.

Surely he could get a head coaching job now?

Jacob is a nice lad, met him after nbl game in Melbourne. He liked my Crocs singlets and asked if he could show it to Mitch Norton lol, classic.

Reply #894759 | Report this post

Mystro  
Two years ago

Judd Flavell was an assistant at the Breakers under Lemanis and was in charge of their development program that brought through Tom Abercrombie, Corey Webster and Alex Pledger.
He has been involved in the NBL for 16 years and his highly respected here in NZ.

I want him to get a shot as a Head Coach and was hoping it would be with NZ.

Reply #894760 | Report this post

koberulz  
Two years ago

Wouldn't Weaver just be the same as Morrison... an assistant coach not ready for the head position
The guy who coached an NBL team to a first place finish and a grand final appearance that was interrupted by a pandemic? Not ready for a head coaching position?

Reply #894761 | Report this post

Jimmyhooper15  
Two years ago

Weaver is a hell of a defensive coach. Will be in the Gleeson mould.If the cats have a chance to get him then need to go hell for leather

Reply #894763 | Report this post

AngusH  
Two years ago

I thought Weaver was a great coach, and he was in the running for the OKC Head coach role, so hard to blame him for leaving. I'm sure just about any coaching target would leave the NBL if an NBA gig was floated as a possibility.

Reply #894764 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

No one has talked about him yet so I'll start - don't discount Skeletor as he has done the hard yards in the US college system for over a decade now. Left his comfort zone to start his career unlike most Australian coaches.

Reply #894766 | Report this post

Reader  
Two years ago

Rillie has never been a head coach has he? And most college coaches struggle to transition to professional basketball.

Reply #894767 | Report this post

Billy Bob  
Two years ago

Rillie currently being here and on the bench with Kelly it would at least be addressed and brought up.

Reply #894768 | Report this post

proud  
Two years ago

I wonder what Mike Kelly thinks of the goings on and if he considers himself a front runner also.

Rillie intrigues me the most out of all those mentioned above

Reply #894776 | Report this post

Mystro  
Two years ago

You would expect Will Weaver to be the front runner for this position but in the long run would Perth not be better to go for an Aussie like Rillie who'll more likely commit long term to the organization?

Reply #894777 | Report this post

Boba Fett  
Two years ago

Jacob Chance. You can't be serious.

Reply #894792 | Report this post

Big Fudge  
Two years ago

I wonder how quick they will be to pull the trigger on this given Summer League is right around the corner, do they go with the same process last season by signing players (imports) prior to signing a coach?

Reply #894804 | Report this post

Pablo Escobar  
Two years ago

Yes, if JVG is running the show, cos every coach loves somebody else to choose their players.

Reply #894821 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Two years ago

If I were Perth I would be weary of hiring Weaver he only coached the Kings for one year before bolting due to the Rockets offer they wouldn't want to sign him and then he leaves after one year and they have to do the search all over again unless of course they know Gleeson might be available again in 12 months time.

Reply #894822 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

Any update on this, the clock is running to seasons start.

Reply #895056 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Two years ago

Will Weaver the strong front runner according to Lachy Reid on this evening's news

Reply #895201 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

Not bad.

Reply #895204 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

Weaver was very good at Sydney, very good person to boot.

Reply #895212 | Report this post

Scout  
Two years ago

Word on Twitter (yep shit source I realise) that John Rillie is about to be announced as Head Coach of the Wildcats.

Reply #895511 | Report this post

Drexler  
Two years ago

Orly? Finally an announcement though, if it's legit.

Reply #895512 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

That elimination final is still so vivid in my mind. Gleeson, Homicide and an on fire Skeletor:

Rillie finished with 34 points including a phenomenal 10 baskets from three-point range, adding three rebounds and an assist in 44 minutes.

Classic NBL, even though we lost and Homicide the prick had his career moment.

Reply #895522 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

Word on Twitter (yep shit source I realise) that John Rillie is about to be announced as Head Coach of the Wildcats.

Thanks, it's better than nothing.

Reply #895523 | Report this post

Yup  
Two years ago

Looks like Rillie will be announced in a few hours

Reply #895524 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Two years ago

From the little I know about him I'd be happy with that appointment

Reply #895527 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

As a coach you mean? He was an iconic local NBL player.

I like the fact Rillie was so committed to his new craft that he left for the US pretty much straight after retiring as a player instead of ho-humming it as an assistant in a safe space NBL. Gleeson was the other notable example to do so a decade earlier. It's becoming more common nowadays but not back in those days.

Reply #895529 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:40 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754