curtley
Two years ago

NBL & NT Gov announcement tomorrow

Anyone know what this could be about? Media release says itll happen 930 central time and involve a few nbl players, loelinger and some NT government folks including the chief minister.

Topic #50218 | Report this topic

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

Future Darwin team maybe

Reply #894907 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

Blitz in Darwin.

Reply #894908 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Two years ago

Id say Blitz in Darwin with a view to see if an eventual team is viable. But follow the real estate with LK. He made a real estate investment with Tasmania and the team, so if theres a similar opportunity in the NT a team could be fast-tracked.

Reply #894911 | Report this post

proud  
Two years ago

I'm all for LK building the infrastructure around a team up there... let’s make it viable

Reply #894922 | Report this post

Frogmanbaby  
Two years ago

Have the NT ever had a team in a national sporting code? Would be awesome to see if sustainable.

Reply #894923 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Two years ago

Australia is a funny country in that we have entire states we pretend don't exist - Tasmania and NT among them. We dont even get news about things that happen in the Northern Territory. It's like one of those weird old unofficial Soviet states that you cant find on a map but exist only to the people that live there. I dont see why a state of 250'000 people couldn't support an NBL team with an arena fit for 5000. Of course there wouldnt be a huge commercial base in the Northern Territory for business enterprises - and therefore sponsorships - but if the NT government got behind it (and maybe they are?) there could be some traction. Call them Darwin Salties and make it an extension of the NBL1 team

Reply #894925 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

Have the NT ever had a team in a national sporting code? Would be awesome to see if sustainable.

Trivia time. Yes, but get this - it was in a Singaporean not Australian league.

Reply #894926 | Report this post

The Bratt  
Two years ago

Blitz for sure

Reply #894927 | Report this post

KET  
Two years ago

https://nbl.com.au/news/nbl-blitz-darwin-bound

Reply #894931 | Report this post

NBLTigers  
Two years ago

Not sure if the league is considering a team in Darwin. NBL definitely needs more teams.

League needs at least 14/15 teams to make the league more viable to international viewers.

NBL should expand to Darwin, Geelong, Gold Coast/Canberra. Possibly Asian team in the long run.

Reply #894932 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Two years ago

Not in this lifetime

Reply #894941 | Report this post

Anon  
Two years ago

Anyone know the crowd at Salties games? No point having a NBL team if people aren't packing it out. Hobart always had decent crowds to SEABL games

Reply #894942 | Report this post

Kev  
Two years ago

Salties are at capacity. Can't attract more people to games as there aren’t enough seats. The hype is there listening to school yard parent pick up banter, however hard to attract fans when you can’t get a seat.

Reply #894957 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Two years ago

Salties are apparently by far the most watched NBL1 team online as well. I think they've gone there to genuinely canvas the idea of a team.

Reply #894966 | Report this post

Dave Marshall  
Two years ago

This will be a case of seeing if the NT Government has the appetite to underwrite an NBL team. The chief problem that Darwin has that Hobart didn't (and that Canberra doesn't have either) is the lack of an NBL-size (if not NBL-quality) stadium. Marrara only holds 1500, and the Convention Centre apparently doesn't have a basketball configuration.

Darwin's population is only a few thousand smaller than Cairns, so while it would be the smallest market in the NBL, it wouldn't be outrageously small.

Reply #895078 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

If Darwin were awarded a team in future imagine the enthusiasm - it would be on par with the 90s Suns hype in Townsville.

Reply #895126 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Two years ago

This is right in LK's wheelhouse. Buy the land, have a stadium built, watch land property and team increase and then sell the team.

Reply #895134 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:10 am, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754