Mat B
Two years ago

Boomers China 6:30 AEST

China is going to want this after almost grabbing the win in game 1 with a good comeback.
If they'd shot better in the 1st quarter, they would've won.

We have to contain their bigs and I want to see pinder in early so we can apply constant defensive pressure inside and bothave to worry about the foul count.

WMW had a great game against Japan and I expect him to come into this one full of confidence with an assertive mindset.

Would like to see Maker in the post to generate some scoring down low, and provide a pass option out off the post, and to get the Chinese bigs in foul trouble.

Topic #50223 | Report this topic

Dunkman  
Two years ago

I believe Australia should win this comfortably, they took their foot off the pedal in the first game. Plus 20 at least.

Reply #894973 | Report this post

Screeningnick  
Two years ago

From what I understand both teams have qualified and this game has no bearings (someone please correct me if I'm wrong).

Will be interesting to see how both teams approach this game.

Reply #894974 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Two years ago

I don't expect it to go smoothly for the Boomers

Reply #894976 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Two years ago

Australia to get a clunky and ugly win I think. Not sure what the deal is with qualification from here but as I understand as long as we finish higher than Chinese Tapei we get through?

Reply #894978 | Report this post

Mat B  
Two years ago

"From what I understand both teams have qualified and this game has no bearings"

That's good to know.

I still feel that this is an important game from.a culture and momentum standpoint.
It won't be easy for us.
China will still be very determined to win.
They actually played well last game, just shot bad.
They'll have huge crowd and a few trillion or so citizens back in China riding on their shoulders with typical superfluous patriotic fervor.

It's an opportunity for the boomers to make statement for the fringe guys to knock a little harder on the door for a call up to the WC squad.

Reply #894981 | Report this post

Outlook  
Two years ago

Top 3 in each group qualify for second round. Australia and china already there.

You think Australia will take its foot off today but no.

Results from first round gets carried over to the second round.

Reply #894984 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

I didn't realise how short jack White is, about same height as Blanchfield when anthem was sung.

Reply #894995 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

Maker going to United the way Goulding talking him up. He's doing ok, I don’t see him back in nba though.
18-16 china

Reply #894997 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

Horrible start by maker in 2nd quarter, defensively and offensively.

Reply #894998 | Report this post

Mat B  
Two years ago

Beautiful pass Froling

Reply #894999 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

WMW threw the ball to himself, that was a carry imo. Like the physicality of this game.

Reply #895000 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

White is 6'7, sometimes listed 6’8, what’s changed?

Reply #895001 | Report this post

Mat B  
Two years ago

That's the way WMW!!

Reply #895002 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

He looks about 6'6’’, I’ve just checked his wiki page, 2.0 meters. That’s what it looks like, thought he was taller. No way he’s taller.

Reply #895003 | Report this post

Mat B  
Two years ago

That Chinese coach is absolutely spraying his players.
Dudes are getting cooked by his fire.

Reply #895004 | Report this post

GordonG  
Two years ago

Don't mind Goulding on commentary.

Reply #895005 | Report this post

Mat B  
Two years ago

Love seeing Maker's run getting rewarded with that lob
Nice

Reply #895006 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

Just all to easy for Australia. Asia is no test. White outstanding.

Reply #895008 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Two years ago

That was an impressive win by the Boomers and by far the best game they've played in this qualifying series. Even when the shots weren't dropping they kept grinding and grinding. China put up a pretty serious fight for most of the game but at some point they just broke and the Boomers rode over the top. I wouldn't have thought they'd win by 23 judging on the first three quarters. But their class shone through. Definitely makes me feel a lot better about where the program stands overall at the moment fighting a game like that.

Reply #895009 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Two years ago

Yeah Jack White's stock has to be rising. Same with William McDowell-White.

Reply #895010 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

Full strength Nz is a massive test, full strength japan, China and Phillipines also good.

Reply #895011 | Report this post

Mat B  
Two years ago

Agree. A well fought win with hgh defensive intensity, and hitting the boards hard.

White showed what he can do and I expect him to be a legitimate contender for the WC

Loved WMW's game again tonight.
He's playing with a great balance of poise and attack.
His 3 is becoming a genuine weapon, and the more he attacks and penetrates the better he'll be. Another very deserving invite to WC camp.

Delly showed he has plenty of game in him to rep us again at a major international tournament

Reply #895013 | Report this post

Mat B  
Two years ago

Yeah NZ look good.
Would've been good to play them in this series.

Reply #895014 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Two years ago

Whether Asia is a test all comes down to who we have available. If we were taking the first qualifiers team (with Brandt and Kay) up against tonight's China team we would have lost. If we have our NBL A Team against Asia then we would likely go easily undefeated. But it's pretty clear to me that if we dip too far below our best we can potentially have issues in Asia.

Reply #895015 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Two years ago

I'd say the first two games were basically throwaway games when it comes to indications of what this team could mean in the bigger Boomers' picture - tonight, not so much. When the pressure is on, who rises? And make no mistake, the pressure was on tonight.

Jack White is looking good. William McDowell-White should be in camp but may have a tough time at his position to make the team. But he CAN hit the three - which makes him an interesting prospect on a team that doesnt have a lot of three point threats. Delly for me is now a lock. He is made for these dog fights and the Boomers would be silly to give up on him. Thon Maker is still coming back into form but he's got a good motor on him, was getting in good positions and making the right play, despite his shot not dropping.

The possible inclusion of Jack White makes it interesting as to what our full strength line up might look like.

Josh Giddey/Delly/ Exum / WMW
Patty Mills/ Daniels / Cotton?
Joe Ingles/ Matisse Thybulle / Josh Green
Ben Simmons?/ Nick Kay /Jack White/Xavier Cooks/ Brock Motum?
Jock Landale/ Aron Baynes?/ Isaac Humphries?/ JLA / Duop Reath / Thon Maker

There's a lot of water to come under the bridge but Jack White is biting on Xavier Cooks heels for a back up PF spot. Cooks may wish he didnt miss this series.

Reply #895016 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

Next window? Nbl only

Dellavedova-Mccarron
Cotton-Goulding-Sobey
Creek-Mcveigh
Cooks-White
Reath-Maker-Magnay

Reserves?
WMW
Vasljevic
Broekhoff
Pinder
Humphries

Insert nbl Youth?
Bayles
Vasiljevic
Galloway
Maker
Gak

Reply #895017 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

Cooks is ahead of white by some way if you've been watching nznbl.
Kay s being pushed by these 2 atm but has been solid everytime for Aus.

Reply #895018 | Report this post

Mat B  
Two years ago

Is Creek even available or did he fall out of favour on PR grounds,

Reply #895019 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Two years ago

creek is playing in South America at the moment. Who knows if he is in consideration or not. He'd have a hard slog trying to make the Cup team anyway with NBA guys at his position.

Reply #895021 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Two years ago

Oh sleepy slug stick to the junior women's, you have no clue.

Reply #895022 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

Cooks Wellington side are second last, lost by six today and he was minus 12, yes he's scoring high and rebounding but side is not winning. Saints have a very decent team as well.
White would be in front at present.

Reply #895023 | Report this post

rjd  
Two years ago

"Jock Landale/ Aron Baynes?/ Isaac Humphries?/ JLA / Duop Reath / Thon Maker"

Was this in order? JLA ahead of Thon Maker? Two years ago that would've been an outrageous call, but now I'm on board the JLA train. As he did for United on a team full of role players, he can create inside and out, put up points quickly, and provide some interior D. I'd have JLA right up there in the Boomers conversation at this stage.

Reply #895025 | Report this post

Ozzymandis  
Two years ago

@dunkman, that's a pretty terrible argument, firstly plus/minus is a horrible metric, especially when we're talking a small sample size and its also dependent on the outcome of the match & the margin of victory/ defeat. 2ndly basketball is a team game, so singling out one player & blaming him for the team's bad fortunes despite him playing well defies logic.

Reply #895034 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

Cooks over white atm, goorj has stated that he wishes white to be a 3 man as does United.

If Simmons plays, I doubt he plays the 1 with Giddey, Exum and Delly playing pg
Likely plays the 4, therefore Kay maybe the only other pf, pushing both cooks and white to reserve status. Asia cup should feature both, + Kay and - Simmons.

Boomers frontcourt WC...

4 Simmons - Kay
5-4 Landale
5 Baynes - (1 other- people saying JLA or Reath)

Don't forget, Thybulle has played small ball 4 at times too and Daniels in the g League.

Reply #895036 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Two years ago

Depending on team balance Kay may not be a lock. Jack White seems to be able to do what Kay does except is much more athletic.

Reply #895038 | Report this post

Ozzymandis  
Two years ago

@me, except for the fact that white is nowhere near as skillful or experienced as kay...

Reply #895041 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

And don't see White in the three spot as well. It’s a lot harder defensively in the three.

Reply #895042 | Report this post

Mat B  
Two years ago

White has time between now and the WC to catch up to Kay.
I know it's not long, but he has all the attributes.

Daniels will be a scorer for us if given the chance. The kid is going to be a star.

I hope WMW is deep in the system as injury insurance at the very least. He's quick, has a good shot, can attack the rim and is a good passer.

I think we're good at the 3.

To me, 4 & 5 is where the main questions are ATM mainly around availability and injury etc.

Reply #895043 | Report this post

AussiePride  
Two years ago

Can that "Locker room cancer" Simmons never be referred to as a possible boomer again on this forum? Unless there is some monumental change to his attitude he is a net negative for this team and should never be considered.

Reply #895089 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

Goorj wants Simmons, stays in regular contact, he'll always get preference but will he show...

Reply #895090 | Report this post

Mat B  
Two years ago

With all reason, it seems futile to mention him as acontender for the team after all the opportunity he's had.

I don't hold it against him, it's his decision, but he should be removed from the equation now for practicalities sale.
~
Looking at the highlights of the other games yesterday, looks like qualifying through Asia will hurt us long term - there's some very good teams gelling together now who will really push us in the big tournaments

Reply #895097 | Report this post

Mat B  
Two years ago

Check pelicans reel today.
Daniels stroke looks very tidy.

Reply #895258 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:24 pm, Thu 28 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754