NBL1watcher
Two years ago

2nd NBL Team in Perth

Just thinking re the current Wildcats scenario and if it is the right time for a second NBL team in Perth? Maybe based out of Joondalup but obviously still play matches at the RAC Arena? I think to give it security of tenure it would need an owner that was willing to contribute funds and make a loss each year to keep it functioning? I am aware that other places maybe ahead ie Canberra to get a new team but was just thinking of the merits of a second Perth team.

Topic #50229 | Report this topic

CT  
Two years ago

It's the Bandits bruh, duh..

Reply #895080 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Two years ago

Let's hope not.

Reply #895081 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

Next 4 hopefully

Canberra
Wellington
Newcastle
Darwin

Ditch Sydney city 2, $$$ for lk the only reason this is getting a look in.

Reply #895082 | Report this post

Kings  
Two years ago

I do not think there is any reason for another team in Perth now or any time in the future.

The state does not have the population size of the teams that have 2 teams eg. Melbourne (5mil), Sydney (8mil), Queensland (5mil)

Just because the Wildcats have a large following does not mean another team popping up would generate the same results.

If there was a massive increase in NBL attendance everywhere and popularity it would be awesome for all states to have a "showdown" or "derby" but with AFL havinf a stranglehold on this country, real International sports will never reach the level they deserve.

Reply #895084 | Report this post

S1L3NC3R83  
Two years ago

No.

Reply #895085 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Two years ago

Wellington first. Canberra I do not think will work, I hope to be proved wrong. Why would anybody go back to Newcastle after they have failed what 3 times. Darwin will never be able to sustain a team. It's a lovely fairytale but the Jackjumpers aren't going to be a success story everywhere

Reply #895087 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

An NBL team playing out of Joondalup? Wow, okay and no.

Reply #895098 | Report this post

Drexler  
Two years ago

Perth needs a full team first, farken make some announcements farken!

Reply #895103 | Report this post

RobT  
Two years ago

Over the last few years, I have sprouted on a 2nb team in Perth, only to be blasted and ridiculed for my strong thoughts. Now I see some support for the sense in that.
Where are the Perth faithful who bagged me so often?
I even addressed the "popultion" issue with 8 of 10 cities having lower populations than Perth. Only Syd & Melb have larger pops.
Can we agree that this option is, at least, worth a discussion?
The Perth faithful even delighted in claiming that AFL was the only sport to be popular in WA. Cricket & netball have shown how hollow that arguement is so weak.
The Wildcats long term success dosn't weaken my oppinion, it strengthens it.

Reply #895128 | Report this post

RobT  
Two years ago

*doesn't

Reply #895129 | Report this post

AngusH  
Two years ago

Maybe no better time for it with the Wildcats looking a little shaky since the sale, but I'd be surprised if it happened any time soon. I'd think it's behind at least 3-4 other locations in the NBL's expansion plans which would probably be in some order Canberra/Sydney/NZ/NT.

Reply #895137 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Two years ago

I don't recall if I ever did before but if you want me to bag you out over this opinion then I'm happy to.
Now feels like a worse time than usual to add a 2nd Perth team, and it never usually felt like a particularly good idea either.

What are the advantages of a 2nd team here?
Is there too big of a fanbase to confine to a single team? The empty seats at RAC in recent times seems to say no.
Is it financially viable for a 2nd team to start up here? (Are the Wildcats even turning a profit anymore? I suspect not)
Where would they play? If RAC, then you need to be selling a lot of tickets to cover the venue cost.
Who are the new fans going to be? Is there a significant demographic of people in Perth who are basketball fans but not Wildcats fans, or who would jump across to the new team from the Cats if there was one? If it's mostly just people swapping teams then that doesn't seem particularly beneficial.

If there was a big enough fanbase here and long term potential for a cross-town rivalry then it could work. I just don't think Perth fits that profile though.

Reply #895138 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Two years ago

It would be killing the goose that lay the golden egg.

Reply #895140 | Report this post

koberulz  
Two years ago

Now feels like a worse time than usual to add a 2nd Perth team,
Really? Wildcats members are leaving in droves at the moment, and a lot who still have memberships are unhappy with the new regime. The number of people actively wanting to support an NBL team in Perth that isn't the Wildcats has never been higher, I'd wager.

Reply #895141 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Two years ago

How many members did the Wildcats have last season?

Reply #895144 | Report this post

koberulz  
Two years ago

I recall someone saying they hit 12,000 last season and dropped to 8,000 a month or so ago.

Unlike a lot of other clubs, which are still spruiking renewals and early bird pricing, the deadline to renew a Wildcats membership is always during the playoffs of the prior season, so a lot of the bad news hadn't hit yet. There are plenty of people with memberships right now who likely wouldn't have renewed if the deadline had been later. They started taking people's money mere hours before announcing the Webster signing.

Reply #895146 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Two years ago

Wildcats members are leaving in droves at the moment

*Citation needed

Reply #895147 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Two years ago

How many members did the Wildcats have last season?

From 9/12/21:
https://www.wildcats.com.au/news/202122-perth-wildcats-memberships-sold-out
The Perth Wildcats are excited to announce it has sold out of seated season memberships for the 2021/22 NBL Season.
It's the first time the club has reached the milestone since moving to the 13,794 capacity RAC Arena almost a decade ago.
"I want to thank all 11,667 members for the unprecedented support they’ve shown to our great club," she said.

Reply #895148 | Report this post

koberulz  
Two years ago

So they lost a third of their members? Seems like droves to me.

Reply #895150 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Two years ago

How many did they have at the start of July last year?

Reply #895151 | Report this post

Dave Marshall  
Two years ago

Sebastian, do you know what actually happened in Newcastle?

Reply #895163 | Report this post

koberulz  
Two years ago

How many did they have at the start of July last year?
Are you suggesting that people regularly give up their memberships and then buy new ones instead of renewing? I guarantee that doesn't happen.

Reply #895169 | Report this post

S1L3NC3R83  
Two years ago

KR, where does 8000 figure come from? Was it a tweet or something?

The Wildcats membership page is still reporting a waitlist and no seated memberships available.

Reply #895181 | Report this post

koberulz  
Two years ago

I don't recall where it came from TBH.

Reply #895195 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Two years ago

"Are you suggesting that people regularly give up their memberships and then buy new ones instead of renewing?"

I'm asking how many they had at the start of July last year so we can compare it to this year.

Reply #895205 | Report this post

koberulz  
Two years ago

For what purpose?

Reply #895207 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:26 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754