GordonG
Two years ago

Taipans Sign Import DJ Hogg

The CQUniversity Cairns Taipans have found their second import for the 2022-23 season, with 6'9" American forward DJ Hogg signing a one-year deal and reuniting with Tahjere McCall after winning the G League Championship together in 2021.

The 25-year-old joins Cairns following a successful campaign with Chloet Basket, where he averaged 12.4 points, 4.2 rebounds and 1.4 assists and made the play-offs in France’s Pro A League earlier this year.

Dennis "DJ” Hogg jr. attended Texas A & M University, where he committed as a Top-50 recruit from Plano West High School. He reached the Sweet 16 as a freshman with 6.2 points and 2.9 assists, and improved to 12.0 points, 5.1 boards and 3.4 assists as a sophomore.

As a junior, he helped the Aggies to the Sweet 16 for a second time in three years - the school’s first time achieving the feat and went on to declare for the Draft.

Hogg played for the New Orleans Pelicans during the 2018 NBA Summer League and was briefly signed by the Philadelphia 76ers before joining their G League side, the Delaware Blue Coats.

His rights were traded to the Wisconsin Herd in 2019 and he went on to sign with the Lakeland Magic in 2020. Alongside McCall, Hogg won the G League title and averaged 11 points, 7.7 rebounds and 2.0 assists in their playoffs campaign.

Taipans Head Coach Adam Forde said that Hogg comes from a class of proven success that will transfer to the NBL, even in his first year down under.

“DJ is a high-level scorer, 6’9” with deep NBA range who can play out on the wing. His size and skillset will allow us to play him in multiple positions with multiple line-ups,” said Forde.

“DJ was part of that G League Championship winning team with Tahjere McCall and Robert Franks in 2021. I first watched that team to scout their point guard, but since then we’ve signed Tahjere who has thrived in this environment, and seen Rob excel in the NBL. So, I have no doubt DJ will make the same impact here for the Taipans.”

Coach Forde also admitted that Hogg’s existing friendship with playmaker McCall helped seal the deal as he looks to create chemistry in his new-look team.

“That relationship with Tahjere helped greatly in the recruiting process, as DJ had a lot of suitors from overseas that we had to go up against. We recruited him hard and painted the vision we are striving for. His enthusiasm only made the process more rewarding,” he explained.

“DJ has shown his style of play can transfer over onto the international stage after the season he had in France. He had great year there, but I hope we can get even more production out of him by creating more scoring opportunities.

“He’s a very smart player, and in conjunction with his length, makes for a great help defender as he averaged a block a game just by being in the right help position. So having multiple rim protectors on the court at one time can allow us to take some more risks defensively.”

Hogg joins Tahjere McCall, Lat Mayen, Jonah Antonio, Sam Waardenburg, Keanu Pinder, Bul Kuol, Majok Deng and Mirko Djeric on the roster. The Taipans have one restricted (import) and one non-restricted (local) position available.

Topic #50253 | Report this topic

Saint23  
Two years ago

what is the best starting 5

Reply #895660 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Two years ago

We'll call him Alf.

BEST STARTING 5:
Wilbekin
McCall
Kuol
Hogg
Pinder

BENCH:
Ayre
Antonio
Djeric
Sumguy
That white dude we signed

Reply #895661 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Two years ago

Sam. His name is Sam Waardenburg

Reply #895662 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Two years ago

Majok Deng somewhere off the bench

Reply #895663 | Report this post

Basket 91  
Two years ago

Looks like Forde is trying to surround McCall and Pinder with shooters.

Jawai not back?

Reply #895668 | Report this post

Saint23  
Two years ago

cairns not going with a ns

Reply #895669 | Report this post

Saint23  
Two years ago

pinder was following hogg before the announcement

Reply #895671 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

Cairns looking very reasonable, certainly better than spoon contenders.

Reply #895672 | Report this post

Saint23  
Two years ago

Is Sam Waardenburg? Zimmerman's replacement or are they still after a center

Reply #895673 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

Hogg certainly doesn't look like a budget import, this looks like a very impressive signing. He would not be cheap coming from a finals team in Frances top division.

Reply #895674 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Two years ago

Unfortunately this now does look like the end of Jawai's time at the Taipans.

Reply #895676 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

Jawai was only signed the last couple of seasons due to a grant the Taipans received.

Reply #895678 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Two years ago

I know that was the case on his initial 3 year deal to return after leaving Perth, not sure if that was the deal the last 3 years though?

After his initial contract ended in 2019 I remember there was a long drawn out negotiation with he and the Taipans that off-season and he only finally agreed to a 1 year deal on the eve of pre-season. After that deal ended he signed a 2 year deal which just finished.

Reply #895684 | Report this post

Longshot  
Two years ago

Glad to see him go, way past it.

Taipans still don't have any PGs on the roster so assuming import PG and Ben Ayre to back whoever that is up

Waardenburg / Pinder
DJ Hogg / Majok Deng
Bul Kuol / Lat Mayen
McCall / Jonah Antonio
Import / Ben Ayre

11th man - Djeric

Reply #895685 | Report this post

Basket 91  
Two years ago

Import PG/Ayre?
Kuol/Djeric
McCall/Antonio/Mayen
Hogg/Deng
Pinder/Waardenburg

If they get an Import PG that can shoot that's not a bad line up for a budget team. Lots of youth with potential.

Reply #895696 | Report this post

DennisRodmansHair  
Two years ago

DJ Hogg. Best name in the league.

Reply #895698 | Report this post

Bored  
Two years ago

Liam Santamaria said he expects Wardenburg to start, I guess over Pinder

Reply #895701 | Report this post

AngusH  
Two years ago

Maybe promises were made to Waardenburg, but I'd be shocked to see Pinder not get the starting nod. I think he earnt that last season and if he can carry his form over to this season he's poised to be a breakout player for the Taipans.

Reply #895704 | Report this post

GordonG  
Two years ago

Zodiac
Yesterday

Unfortunately this now does look like the end of Jawai's time at the Taipans.

Confirmed in today's Cairns Post that Nate will not be on the roster. Looking for an import PG and a backup PG.

Reply #895709 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Two years ago

That sucks for him I thought he was on the outer when I saw he was playing for the new Darwin team in the QBL rather than the Marlins.

Bullets haven't re-signed Jack Salt perhaps a spot there for him?

Reply #895710 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

Age and time catches up with everyone and sports people first.

Good luck to Nate and well done if it's the end. A truely good person.

Reply #895712 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:53 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754