Asia Cup - Boomers v Jordan

Have I missed the thread for this game?

Boomers won 78-60

Thon Maker dominant with 23 points, 8 boards, 2 assists and a block

Topic #50255 | Report this topic

Perthworld  
Two years ago

Have I missed the thread for this game?

You didn't - it's just that no one cares about the early stages of this Mickey Mouse cup.

Reply #895719 | Report this post

AussiePride  
Two years ago

Maker would be a great fit for the Jack Jumpers. Nice game from Tassie Thon.

Reply #895723 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Two years ago

Not a great standard or picture to watch
(wnba all stars a coupla spots four (4) points. I'll be damned, a good idea)

Reply #895771 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Two years ago

Today against Saudi Arabia was more of the same. We struggled to get into rhythm and when we did we wiped them off the floor. The Saudi's were a touch better than i expected but still, this tournament means really little

Reply #895776 | Report this post

Old Coach  
Two years ago

Quality of these matches not even up to NBL1 standard

Reply #895791 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Two years ago

Yeah hard to see what benefit this is to the Australian team. Commentators talk like these guys are way further up the Boomers depth chart than they are, and like Frolling and so forth are the next in line. They're not. Not even close. Tyrese Proctor and Thon Maker probably the only guys who have legitimate Boomers chances on any full strength team

Reply #895799 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

Proctor nowhere near the first team.

Reply #895800 | Report this post

Ozzymandis  
Two years ago

@weedyslug, he's literally a consensus 5 star recruit. Has to mean something.

Reply #895803 | Report this post

NBLTigers  
Two years ago

Boomers had a solid win against the Saudis. Saudis played a good 1st quarter but after that you could see the Boomers are at another level.

Boomers may end up playing South Korea in the semifinals. That will be the Boomers biggest test.

China has struggled in their group.

Reply #895807 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Two years ago

Proctor wont be on the world cup team and probably long odds for 2023 given the talent at PG. After tha he probably walks in

Reply #895811 | Report this post

hoopie  
Two years ago

Indonesia certainly taking it to the Boomers

Reply #895870 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Two years ago

The Indonesia game went the way they all will. The Boomers will walk in underestimating the competition and then will slowly ease into the game, blowing their opponents off the court. But at the same time they still haven't impressed me. The tournament is a waste of time

Reply #895877 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

Waste of time yet you are watching it...

It's a good tournament imo and will get better over time.
Good exp for youngins and a look at potential 'A’ team boomers.
Thinking we will just run over everyone for years to come ain’t giving the other countries in the region credit. Several teams have gone up a notch since the last cup in 2017 and competition will go up another gear in 2025.

Reply #895882 | Report this post

JMS  
Two years ago

Really impressed with Proctor, has a good handle, court awareness and plays hard on defence. Good size for the PG position. Thought his shot looked really good in both the Saudi and Indonesia games and his explosive dunk in transition showed he has serious athleticism.

Froling actually looks much better in the international game than with the Hawks. Much more confident with his three ball and able to use his ball handling much more.

Thon Maker should hold his position even with the full compliment available, purely because he adds a level of athleticism we don't have at the center position. Was impressed with his outside shot and overall shot selection. Working hard on defence and looks like the team thrive with his aggression.

I’ve actually enjoyed this series. The commentator referred to Rhys Vague as a long range "sharpshooter" which I though was amusing (maybe he’s added this to his game?)

Reply #895884 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Two years ago

I am yet to see anything from Maker that puts him above any of the other bigman prospects we have. I think JLA and Duop Reath are better as of right now.

Reply #895896 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

We were short 1 big at the Olympics imo, when Baynes got injured we had Kay playing centre in heavy minutes with or behind Landale and 6'5 Thybulle playing some pf.

WC 4 and 5 position should be

0 - 1 of Cooks or White cf
Kay pf
Landale pf/c
1 or 2 of Baynes, Reath, JLA or Maker c
+ potentially Simmons playing some pf and some pg

That’s 5-6 of 12 players

Baynes comeback form unknown.
JLA could play for South Sudan.
Leaves just Reath or maker as backup to landale.

Guards choices also have to dwindled down.

Mills
Cotton*
Dellavedova
Goulding
Exum
Green
Thybulle*
Daniels
Giddey
Ingles

*1 or the other naturalised
You’ve got to cut a minimum of 3. Tough to do...

Reply #895897 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

Getting knocked out by japan is a real possibility as we lost 5 key players (Delly, white, Mcveigh, Blanchfield, Steindl) and they gained 3 key players(Watanabe, togashi, suda) since last time we played them,

Reply #896039 | Report this post

NBLTigers  
Two years ago

Watanabe got injured, that's the only good news for the Boomers.

If we lose to Japan it really makes the Aussie NBL a low standard league. Embarrassing the Boomers couldn’t select a stronger team. If you can’t win in Asia, then how can you win medals at World Cups and Olympics!

Reply #896065 | Report this post

KET  
Two years ago

Why would it make the NBL a low standard league?

There's so many top NBL players not in the Boomers team, it’s not a reflection of the NBL unless this really is NBL benchies vs Japanese league benchies

Reply #896068 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

By no means a crap league, just poor selections and underestimating opponents.

Reply #896069 | Report this post

AngusH  
Two years ago

Is it poor selections or lack of guys putting their hands up?

Reply #896072 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

Poor selections.

Not in the NBA, Summer league, injured or playing pro elsewhere as far as I know.

Other nbl guys
Biwali Bayles
Emmet Naar
Mitch Norton
Sean Macdonald
Shaun Bruce
Angus Glover
Matt Kenyon
Anthony Drmic
Jaylin Galloway
Cam Gliddon
Ryan Broekhoff
Brad Newley
Kouat Noi
Makuach Maluach
Kyrin Galloway
Nick Kay
Cam Bairstow
Will Magnay
Jordan Hunter
Oliver hayes-Brown
Harry Froling
Angus Brandt
Isaac Humphries

No doubt some are on holidays, still quite a few that could have been selected.
Odd because we are seeing college kids like Ducas having to play.
Proctor with nba buzz the only 'ok, fair enough'

Reply #896074 | Report this post

NBLTigers  
Two years ago

Proctor will be a future star for Australia. But look at New Zealand's squad, mainly full of collage kids and guys trying to get into the nbl.

I watched their game last night. They have been doing well against the teams they should beat.

They should put up a fight against South Korea. Are all quarterfinals on ESPN tonight guys??

I thought ESPN were showing all Fiba events but it seems they are only showing the Boomer games.

Fox Sports use to show the whole tournament. It’s bad how our major sports companies lose more sports to streaming companies.

I got courtside1891 and it isn’t in HD while live which makes it shit. Streaming is overrated in my opinion. Anything on the web is bad unless you got efficient internet. Mine is pretty good and it was still fuzzy.

Reply #896076 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

ESPN are airing non-Boomers games on their app and via Kayo. It's standard procedure for overflow material in this streaming age.

Reply #896091 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

Lebanon beat China
Jordan beat Iran

Lebanon playing very well.
Asia clearly shifting

Reply #896109 | Report this post

NBLTigers  
Two years ago

Exciting both China and Iran lost.

I am nervous if the Boomers lose tonight because we got no Jack White, McVeigh or Clint. If we can get to the semifinals there's always a slight chance.

NZ could beat Korea on a good night. Whoever is in the gold medal match from the Boomers side should win. I can’t see Jordan beating Lebanon though.

Lebanon have been impressive. I still scratch my head why the boomers didn’t select a stronger team. If we did we would of won another gold medal but I was just hoping China wouldn’t win. They already won it 16 times already.

If the Boomers do business against Japan and then tough it out against Korea/NZ we should be fine.

If the Boomers were in Jordan’s side of the tournament they would have a better chance. Strange how tournaments workout.

Reply #896119 | Report this post

Anon  
Two years ago

I still scratch my head why the boomers didn't select a stronger team. If we did we would of won another gold medal but I was just hoping China wouldn’t win.

We selected the best of the players that were asked.
Asia cup gold medal is like a comm games gold medal, Doesn't mean anything.

Reply #896136 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

Doesn't mean anything to the average chump chiilin in the basement but it means something to BA, its status, it’s staff, it’s players, the fiba ranking and everything else it filters down too.

Reply #896138 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Two years ago

Very solid performance against Japan in the 1/4 finals - Maker, McCarron and Vague the standouts. Love the 16 o-boards and only 8 turnovers. Clinical over the first 3/4 but took the foot off a little in the last.

Reply #896149 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Two years ago

New Zealand with a huge win over Korea, held their nerve when their opponents were imploding, now they face the Boomers. Flynn Cameron is going to be a star.

Reply #896154 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:14 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754