NBLTigers
Two years ago

Tyler Johnson - Melbourne United

Heard there's a rumour that Melbourne is trying to get ex-nba player Tyler Johnson Who used to play for the Miami Heat.

Rumour from NBA Summer League.
Source: https://nbl.com.au/tv/summer-league/1437098/Day-Five-NBLxNBA-Wrap-(NBA-Summer-League,-2022)

Topic #50259 | Report this topic

Saint23  
Two years ago

Heard that a day a go , when I heard it I through is Goulding leaving . It's Tyler a SG not a point guard

Reply #895736 | Report this post

NBLTigers  
Two years ago

Also heard on the day 6 video that the Taipans are signing Shannon Scott who last played in Germany for Brose Bamberg.

Reply #895737 | Report this post

Diop Kick  
Two years ago

Tyler was more a scoring guard than a true point, at 6'3, he could easily play sg in NBL

Reply #895746 | Report this post

Cram  
Two years ago

I think Johnson is a combo guard. Though definitely more of a shoot first he can be a playmaker too.

He was one of the guys who benefited from the cap jump in 2016 to get a bigger deal than he was probably worth, fair play to him. He was a solid NBA player for a few years though

Reply #895748 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

@ nbl tigers

Shannon Scott did play for Bamberg last season, wasn't that impressive.

Reply #895749 | Report this post

AngusH  
Two years ago

If Johnson is fit and motivated he'll be a high level import I feel. Solid signing.

Most concerning for United though I think would be how well Jack White is playing for Denver, and Delly looking in the best shape he's been in for years based on his play for Australia recently. I'd say there's at least a chance he hits an NBA roster for veteran leadership if nothing else, and White looks like he could plug into a similar role to what Torrey Craig has found in the NBA.

Reply #895766 | Report this post

NBLTigers  
Two years ago

I got feeling Jack White will depart United for the NBA. If JLA can't make an NBA squad then he should reconsider going back to United since they will have more cap space if we lose White and Delly etc. No point playing in China or Japan unless a big euro team like Real Madrid could sign him.

Tyler Johnson would be a solid signing.

Reply #895767 | Report this post

KeepHoopDreaming  
Two years ago

MU were looking for a 2 man and a 5 man, but given Jack White is playing so well, it might change things up substantially. So you'd assume they're going to wait and see what happens with JW and maybe even Delly, and then make some big moves quite quickly. JLA is definitely not returning, he's going either to the NBA or over to China for a big pay day - and rightfully so.

Reply #895768 | Report this post

PyroCross  
Two years ago

What intrigues me is the scenario if both Delly and Jack White head to the NBA. I take it Melbourne will be relying on 2 gun imports?

Import* (Skal?) / Hukporti
Import* / Okwera / Maluach
Local / Peatling
Goulding / Newley
Johnson* / Ili

First impression is that goodness, Melbourne have a weak bench (after the Sixth Man of the Year).

Reply #895769 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Two years ago

I would imagine United would be quite relieved if Delly gets an NBA contract that 3 year deal they signed him to with an NBA out-clause was said to be for $700k per season. It's fair to say Delly did not live up to that price tag.

United just re-signed Jack White to a 3 year deal earlier in the off-season now him they might be unhappy about losing.

Reply #895770 | Report this post

AngusH  
Two years ago

It's not an amazing bench but I think Okwera has shown some flashes of being a solid contributor, Peatling also. Ili and Newls a good vet presence, but Newls contributions on the court will inevitably continue to dip.

If Delly departs for the NBA I wouldn't be shocked to see Ili-Johnson-CG43 in the starting 5, and then THAT would be a shallow bench.

Reply #895773 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Two years ago

Hukporti/Peatling
Import/???/Okwera
Import/Maluach
Goulding/Newley
Import/Ili

Reply #895781 | Report this post

JMS  
Two years ago

I really hope Vickerman doesn't go down the path of another undersized combo guard like Agada and play them at the SF position. Tyler Johnson does look to have a good three ball and an impressive nba career behind him.

Is there any more talk about Thon Maker joining United? He’d be a great addition and would really help the growth of Hukporti.

Somewhat ambivalent about Delly potentially leaving. I liked his hard play, tough defence and a great "culture" guy, but felt he took too much on offensively last season. I won’t miss the regular air-ball threes and sloppy turnovers.

Reply #895782 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Two years ago

@Dunkman
Deshon Taylor was in talks with Cairns & Bullets, I guess because of his connections with the coaches. He's proved he could play at this level since leaving. I guess Moldovan isn’t as powerful as he thinks if he couldn’t get Taylor the Cairns gig over Scott

Reply #895786 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

Original plan looks to have been

Dellavedova - Ili - Duach
Goulding - Johnson - Triplett
Import - Newley - Maluach
White - Peatling - Okwera
Labisierre - Hukporti

Seems like a different direction now, no white or labsierre possibly.
Get import 4, + local C like Reath or Mathiang

Reply #895788 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Two years ago

I suspect Hukporti wasn't coming back to come off the bench.

Reply #895789 | Report this post

LV  
Two years ago

Delly was quality last season

But Jack White's 24 and entering his prime.

And if Delly's really on 700k then we're clearly overpaying him.

So I'd rather keep White

If United loses either of them, they'll need 3 quality imports to return to top 4. That's the bottom line

Reply #895801 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:12 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754